ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-04-06, 06:01 PM
Jr Member

randomways is on a distinguished road
this thread is just like me! lol, i had ton's who girls who liked me and not until year or so later do i sit down and cursed because i relise that they liked me, and also the other problem i find it hard to go upto a girl and say i like her, its not hard in the sence that i'm all nervous or anything, its more of a case that in my head i go "ye like she is going to like me". its takes the girl to come upto me and tell me she likes me to relise, and this is not only with girls lol, its also with people who hate me, people who are taking the mick. i never know about it because i'm always off in my own world until they talk to me directly or if i'm on my own with them, and i think thats why we don't notice, because we are driffing off into are heads and really don't take note of what they are doing all the time, or in a ADHD case, jumping around somewhere else lol.
Old 05-09-06, 07:31 PM
Jr Member

King_of_Dreams is on a distinguished road
I'm always clueless, as well. I didn't realize this was ADD-related, but I guess it makes sense. I'm married, but my wedding ring had been missing for about 2 years, so I didn't even have a tan line. Recently when I took my sons by myself to a local park, there was a woman there chatting with me, and I didn't realize she was hitting on me until I was leaving, and the woman's mother caught up with me and asked me about my lack of wedding ring.

When I relayed the whole story to my wife after I got home, she found it hysterically funny how many obvious cues I had missed during the conversation.
Old 05-10-06, 12:29 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
as meany as i would king lol i do that all the time dureing conversations lol bet what did the wife say then lol dorm
Old 05-12-06, 01:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

bcaddkid is on a distinguished road
I got hit on today while waiting in line for my academic counsellor. And she was cute!

So I can recognize it now, but I don't know what to do. $#@*I%&Y*(Y %#YR ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhharrhhrrhhhrhrrhhr
Old 05-12-06, 10:12 AM

literati has disabled reputation
Hi guys, sorry to peek in on your forum but this thread had me ROFL... My brother is ADD and this is just like him! He's attractive and smart, but COMPLETELY misses it when women flirt with him. To make matters worse he's very shy and asking women out on dates is even harder for him. So lately we've been "role playing" if you will about how to hold conversations with women, flirt, recognize social cues, do's and don'ts on dates, etc.
Mincan (06-21-08)
Old 05-12-06, 11:12 AM

dormammau2008 has disabled reputation
hey littia you could do role play on here as well then that help us men who ant shoee on the souial cusss ither lol dorm
Old 05-13-06, 10:55 PM

thebvp is on a distinguished road
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA THIS IS THE BEST TOPIC EVER AND SO TRUE!

I seriously can't tell. It's ridiculous.

OMG **GASP** it's like the story of the past 14 years of my life crammed into one thread!
Old 05-14-06, 05:26 PM

turbofish has disabled reputation
I have had a situation is along the same lines of the thread. A boss who has repeatedly told me [without me asking] that he won't move my schedule up. He wants me to be the last one in the department. That leaves about an hour with just him an me in the office. Once after everyone else had gone, he came over to my desk to help me with a problem and commented on how nice I smelled. The 'complement' passed over my head because at the time I was totally focused on trying to figure out this problem. Again, after everyone else was gone, I was concentrating on a task with my back turned from the door, he would jump into the office and yell something. When I'm 'in the zone' something like that will really startle me; I jumped in my chair. He would come up behind me and start rubbing my back, "Oh, did I startle you?"

I never catch on when it happens, but it is beginning to freak me out a bit.
Old 05-16-06, 01:25 PM

ricardo is on a distinguished road
Talking

For so long I've made a horrible mistake when interacting with women. When the question of what do you do came, I'd tell about my past as like excusing myself (been in two universities, dropped out, done this, that....) and about my future dreams as like it was going to give me value (i have some disrupting ideas indeed and they'll be a bomb if i get them rolling but, that's for me and little people more not BABES!) and so I'd come across as an insecure, excessively intense dreamer, worried about himself and not so actually interested in the other person.

Some couple of months ago I asked my psychologist what should I answer when a girl asked me what I do. Basically it was life-changing, as now I keep THEM wondering about me, "stalking me" (I make fun of them calling them stalkers) and only give little info from time to time, basically I say, I'm not doing much right now, do some web sites now and then, something I enjoy, and then I mostly enjoy life, [my upgrade not psychologist's input from now on :P] I mean, I'm here enjoying you, so, tell me about yourself... do you sing in the shower?

Etc etc but keeping it cool and chilled and zero pressure on her. In this very moment I have the bouncer of a disco, very interesting girl, waiting for my reply on IM for some 5 minutes... cup of tea tomorrow with her and I'll let her know a bit more of me. Smoothly. I'm not craving girls' attention anymore and even if I happen to crave it, I won't let it SHOW!

Hope this will help open some eyes of ppl suffering what I've been through - I sure feel amazingly upgraded. I don't feel like I need to be "specially special" to be interesting. I can even say I'm living in a tent!! Now the difference is simply between meeting them and they evaporating, or keeping my phone full with SMS's...

Good luck guys! You can do it too... serious! I was BLIND before. If u want help count on me. I'll give the more I can from my "green but amazing" experience! ;D
Old 06-21-08, 02:27 AM

Softail194 will become famous soon enough
Re: Man with ADD/ADHD oblivous when being hit on by females

Gray that is dead on. I never made the connection with ADD and failing to pick up signals from woman, I've had friends and family tell me that chicks were checking me out and flirting-but it was the "nah, she is just being nice, doing her job, or trying to get a good tip" but later I found out she did want a relationship-but by that time I was to late. And I never want to seem aggressive, to be known as that "creepy" guy, man do I hate rejection-and people who don't realize I can't wake up one morning and not be add.
Old 06-21-08, 07:14 AM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

hewhe tonight i was feelung yp another idi0ots girls foot.... she loved it... iu take it she never got loved before... kittle puybjs dont know how to rtake caer of a ladyt properly... i love the females... lover to plase them"
Old 06-21-08, 07:28 PM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

The solution boys is the take the offensive or launch some pre-emptive strikes... if you take 10mg of dextroamphetamine then you wait a couple hours, then you smoke lots of weed, then you drink some alcohol, everyone else at the party is making complete asses out of themselves and the girls are loose, you are completely sober but finally "happy" or "normal" and then you get to go to work... its working for me the past couple months

'd like to relate my experiences yesterday. I was in this strange town im visiting my parents in British Columbia... so I'm meeting all these girls through this group that I attached myself too, they are like all dressed up like gangstas and such... lol, they said "you are the only guy in princeton with a nice shirt, so they think you are insane or not from here" lol i laughed my butt off... anyway all day they keep asking me if Im okay, and Im finally feeling my balls dropping and I just tell them I got severe ADHD... then they finally accept it when you tell them becaue they keep asking me what they see different in me. So anyway they thought at the party that I looked like "I was about to fall over" I said "I always look like Im on drugs, remember, I got severe ADHD." tjhey said yea sure well see... sure enough these tough guys tried keeping up to me in alcohol and cannabis consumption but they couldn't... and I quit zoloft so the SSRI isnt giving me more tolerance to the weed either... it was hilarious... I finally get to that point we get when we get so "fed up" compared ot everyone else where we can just finally concentrate on whats going on around us at the party and we feel weird because we arent makiing asses out of ourselves we are just watching and laughing at everyone else... of course they take this a million different ways but I stopped thining about what they are thinkig of me and thining about what Id like to do ot them if they mouth off at me (quickly jump them and punch them in the face repeatedly) or if they are girls what Id like to do with them to make them happy... hehe Ive missed out on all this for far too long...
Old 06-27-08, 01:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Rudegar has a spectacular aura aboutRudegar has a spectacular aura about

This has always been a problem for me it is really really annoying. My experiences with girls and dating I onyl really asked out the ones I knew liked me because I could never tell.
I have the worst story about this.
I was 16 or so and at a new years eve dance. I saw this really good looking girl walk in. I swear she was the best looking girl there. I decided to ask her to dance. she said yes! it was a slow song and so we had a while to talk and stuff. I found out she was from out of town with her cousin. The song ended, it was about midnight. and she asked me where I was going to be when the clock struck the new year. I don't remember what I said but I remember thinking it was a really weird question so I just said thanks for the dance and bye or whatever and went back where my friends where. I told my female friend about what a weird question it was. She replies with "What?! She totally wanted to kiss you!" I was dumbfounded but after thinking it over it made total sense.Why else would she have asked me that? I honestly could not think of a better reason. But it was too late and I was freaked out. I felt like such a dork. I never saw her again.

"At least I got to see some cool colors."
Old 10-30-08, 12:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of lightchowmix is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain View Post
Some guys like blondes, some like redheads or brunettes. Some guys are "breast" men and some look at legs... Me? I like a woman with a non-linear cognitive structure

Look for the tomboys with lots of confused guy friends
I know this thread is old, but this comment made my day.

Can't stop laughing. Snorted my morning beverage out my nose.

I too favor women with a non-linear-cognitive-structure above all and I've always hung around with tomboys.

Contact a doctor if you think you need help. Don't waste 30 years as I did.

DX at 51: GAD,OCD,ADHD mixed RX: Concerta. Ritalin / Propranolol as needed.