ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-14-11, 01:58 AM
ADDvanced Member

xav has disabled reputation
Re: I know people with Asperger's Syndrome who have girlfriends. How come I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooka View Post
... I'm still doubtful of whether you pay attention to an ounce of the advice you receive, but who knows? ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueranne View Post
Wow, all of these replies are starting to sound like a broken recored player!
My feelings exactly !

Nevermore why ask for help if you only take into account the advices that confort your view of your social status ?

bye and good luck ( you will need it )
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xav For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-14-11), RedHairedWitch (05-14-11), sarahsweets (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 08:27 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I know people with Asperger's Syndrome who have girlfriends. How come I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav View Post
My feelings exactly !

Nevermore why ask for help if you only take into account the advices that confort your view of your social status ?

bye and good luck ( you will need it )
I ask for help because I want someone to help me find the answers I haven't been able to find on my own.
Old 05-14-11, 10:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
I ask for help because I want someone to help me find the answers I haven't been able to find on my own.
But people are giving you answers and aren't sure you're paying attention, is what he means.

Albert Ellis, a famous psychotherapist, did suggest to some of his patients that they just approach people they were interested in and introduce themselves. What is the worst that could happen, he'd say? Are they going to run away screaming? Vomit on you? Worst that can happen is they'll say they aren't interested. Is that so bad?
APSJ (05-14-11), nevermore (05-14-11), RedHairedWitch (05-14-11), tipoo (05-14-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-14-11, 12:06 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMiller View Post
But people are giving you answers and aren't sure you're paying attention, is what he means.

Albert Ellis, a famous psychotherapist, did suggest to some of his patients that they just approach people they were interested in and introduce themselves. What is the worst that could happen, he'd say? Are they going to run away screaming? Vomit on you? Worst that can happen is they'll say they aren't interested. Is that so bad?
I fear me. I don't fear them. How do I fear me? I don't want to end up traumatized if I make an *** out of myself.

Albert Ellis, famous psychotherapist, missed the point.
Old 05-14-11, 12:32 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Albert Ellis wasn't a psychotherapist by the way. He was a psychologist with excellent beliefs regarding the relationship between thoughts and behaviors.

The technique Kmiller is trying to show you is called a shame attacking technique. You see Nevermore, whether people enjoy you or not, was not the purpose of the exercise. Rather, it was the action of doing it and doing it over and over again. So, that the individual would no longer care of the outcome. They would overcome the anxiety and worry associated with the situation. This is my interpretation of the exercise.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
BR549 (05-14-11), nevermore (05-14-11), RedHairedWitch (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 12:42 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Albert Ellis wasn't a psychotherapist by the way. He was a psychologist with excellent beliefs regarding the relationship between thoughts and behaviors.

The technique Kmiller is trying to show you is called a shame attacking technique. You see Nevermore, whether people enjoy you or not, was not the purpose of the exercise. Rather, it was the action of doing it and doing it over and over again. So, that the individual would no longer care of the outcome. They would overcome the anxiety and worry associated with the situation. This is my interpretation of the exercise.
And what if the memories of all the rejections build up in my brain and cause me intolerable pain?
Old 05-14-11, 12:46 PM

Thanked 1,127 Times in 676 Posts
excel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to beholdexcel is a splendid one to behold

I tought you were done with this forum!
Old 05-14-11, 01:03 PM
Moderator of all seasons

anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And what if the memories of all the rejections build up in my brain and cause me intolerable pain?
I wouldn't let the what ifs stop you. I have them too. I have memories some may deem intolerable.

What was your childhood like Nevermore? Do you have a lot of pain?

P.S. Technically Ellis can be considered a psychotherapist along with a psychologist. Psychologist for me seems far more appropriate.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 01:09 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
I wouldn't let the what ifs stop you. I have them too. I have memories some may deem intolerable.

What was your childhood like Nevermore? Do you have a lot of pain?
All of my pain, however, stems from humiliations I endured in school, from classmates and teachers.

None of my traumas center around anything my parents did to me. At least not as far as I know.
Old 05-14-11, 01:16 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by excel View Post
I tought you were done with this forum!
I don't think that was ever his intention I think its more of a cry for help.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 01:24 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Quote:
All of my pain, however, stems from humiliations I endured in school, from classmates and teachers.

None of my traumas center around anything my parents did to me. At least not as far as I know.

How were you humiliated when you were in school? Can you talk about them here? Did you talk to your therapist about them?

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 01:56 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
How were you humiliated when you were in school? Can you talk about them here? Did you talk to your therapist about them?
I was a good student but was treated like an idiot. I endured a lot of pain.

I have tried to bring that up in therapy but was treated like it's all in my head.

Now that I have an ADHD diagnosis, perhaps an ADHD therapist will understand.
The Following User Says Thank You to nevermore For This Useful Post:
RedHairedWitch (05-14-11)
Old 05-14-11, 02:33 PM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

Fear of rejection and social anxiety is common for ADHDers so are your experiences at school. A good adhd expert should understand and help.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-14-11)
Old 05-15-11, 01:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedWitch View Post
Fear of rejection and social anxiety is common for ADHDers so are your experiences at school. A good adhd expert should understand and help.
How will he help?
Old 05-15-11, 02:49 PM

Thanked 3,331 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
How will he help?
Voodoo.