ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-15-11, 03:54 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: I know people with Asperger's Syndrome who have girlfriends. How come I don't?

This is a long thread to wade through....

There's alot of interesting stuff been said....

In my view the thing that made the biggest difference for me was starting to love myself. It took a couple of decades but before that i was just ****ing in the wind.

Oh.. yeah I did have girlfriends.... ones that really messed me up.

I though that being in a relationship would help me sort my life out...... my girlfriends thought the same thing..... cue co-dependancy meltdown.

now I know it's just dumb to expect anyone non-professional to help sort me out. I have to do that heavy lifting myself..... and I am not averse to shopping around for the right profeessional help... what I need changes as I develop.

I am reading a book at the moment by a woman called Margo Wood.... it's all about finding love.... doing the heavy lifting of learning to love yourself.

It is called "Masturbation, Tantra and Self Love".

Yeah.... that's right....

As for the OP.... I'd add that he could try the following....
1) Tell himself that he is not going to consider having a relationship for at least a year.. even if a millionaire underwear model lies in front of him buck naked.
2) Shop around and find a good easygoing therapist.
3) Meditate daily
4) go along to a yoga class and keep at it for a year
5) After a year... rinse and repeat.

I guarantee a millionaire underwear model will appear.. OK so she might not be an actual millionaire.... or an actual underwear model.... but she will lie in front of you buck naked......

because somewhere along the line you fixed yourself

kilted
The Following User Says Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-15-11)
Old 05-15-11, 04:31 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light
Re: I know people with Asperger's Syndrome who have girlfriends. How come I don't?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post

I though that being in a relationship would help me sort my life out...... my girlfriends thought the same thing..... cue co-dependancy meltdown.
Life sucks, doesn't it? It sucks being alone and it sucks having company.

Quote:
As for the OP.... I'd add that he could try the following....
1) Tell himself that he is not going to consider having a relationship for at least a year.. even if a millionaire underwear model lies in front of him buck naked.
I have waited 30 years. I can wait another one.

Quote:
2) Shop around and find a good easygoing therapist.
I've done that. Therapy was a failure.

Quote:
3) Meditate daily
4) go along to a yoga class and keep at it for a year
I can't do it. My thoughts are too intense and too persistent. I can't concentrate and I can't control them.

Quote:
5) After a year... rinse and repeat.

I guarantee a millionaire underwear model will appear.. OK so she might not be an actual millionaire.... or an actual underwear model.... but she will lie in front of you buck naked......

because somewhere along the line you fixed yourself
Platitudes
Old 05-15-11, 04:53 PM

Thanked 6,054 Times in 2,509 Posts
kilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond reputekilted_scotsman has a reputation beyond repute

i wasn't writing the post for you nevermore....

The thread is also for others to read and get ideas about how they might tackle the issues you raise...

It does't matter if they won't work for you..... the suggestions people post might work for someone else and that makes the whole thread, and your original question worthwhile.

go love yourself

kilted
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kilted_scotsman For This Useful Post:
corbykins (05-15-11), nevermore (05-15-11), RedHairedWitch (05-15-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-15-11, 05:12 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

nevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of lightnevermore is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilted_scotsman View Post
i wasn't writing the post for you nevermore....
Then why did you write this?

"As for the OP.... I'd add that he could try the following...."

Who do you think the OP is?
Old 05-15-11, 05:39 PM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

Have you considered ODD nevermore?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opposit...fiant_disorder
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following User Says Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-15-11)
Old 05-15-11, 05:44 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedHairedWitch View Post
No, because I am not a child and nobody here is an authority figure.

Quote:
Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is described by the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) as an ongoing pattern of disobedient, hostile and defiant behavior toward authority figures which goes beyond the bounds of normal childhood behavior. People who have it may appear very stubborn and angry.
Old 05-17-11, 04:58 AM

Lake Eerie is on a distinguished road

You are talking about one of the great mysteries of life. I don't think this is necessarily an ADD thing. Nobody really knows how people wind up together and fall in love. Attraction is complex and mostly subconscious. Chemical.

We romantasize because we are human and that's what we do but it is probably all just really about the basic instincts of breeding. We lay mating rituals on top of that (dating) and social rituals on top of that (relationships).

Does what you are looking for really exist? Maybe. I dunno.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lake Eerie For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-17-11)
Old 05-17-11, 09:02 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,687 Times in 1,298 Posts
tazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond reputetazoz has a reputation beyond repute

As people we are expected to accomplish certain tasks to be considered successful: finding a girlfriend, keeping a job, being independent, finishing a degree etc.
Trying to achieve these goals as a catalyst for personal growth is pointless, none of them lead to personal growth and healing. What they are, are indicators to those around you that you have achieved that growth as they are all the major hardships of life.

Unfortunately real progress happens painfully slowly, you advance one step at a time, before going to a party you have to be able to leave your house. (you might be able to leave the house, it's just an example)

If you feel that you need to do something and it is too hard, think of something smaller that you can do as a transition stage towards the greater goal, do this until you find a step you can actually do. There is always something you can do even if it is taking one step towards the door. (Surprisingly enough, even taking that one step can be hard)

Don't think of what you can't accomplish, instead think of what you can and have accomplished.
The Following User Says Thank You to tazoz For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-17-11)
Old 05-17-11, 10:10 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,267 Times in 8,229 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
Toastmasters is about 40 bucks a year. You won't be the only one who struggles. People fear public speaking greater than death. You learn how to be a better public speaker, which means you learn how to write a speech, communicate it to your audience, etc. You get to participate in many components of a meeting or known.
I feel like such an idiot. I paid my dues recently. It's $38 every 6 months, totaling $76/year.

~Paulo Coelho
The Following User Says Thank You to anonymouslyadd For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-17-11)
Old 05-17-11, 10:33 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymouslyadd View Post
I feel like such an idiot. I paid my dues recently. It's $38 every 6 months, totaling $76/year.
Do you have to give them a credit card number? And do they automatically bill the credit card every 6 months?
Old 05-18-11, 01:36 PM

IdentityUnknown will become famous soon enough

After reading most of your posts i noticed that you claim that you have no genuine intrest in people and thus dislike 'small talk'. As you said, you don't like hearing about other people's intrests.

In reality, for normal people, small talk isn't about topics. It's about the enjoyment of a social interaction. In has nothing to do with intresting subjects.

I hope i'm not offending you but if you do not feel this sense of enjoyment from simple sociale interactions like that, then it is highly likely you will never have friends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to IdentityUnknown For This Useful Post:
K-Funk (05-18-11), nevermore (05-18-11), RedHairedWitch (05-18-11)
Old 05-18-11, 02:10 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityUnknown View Post
After reading most of your posts i noticed that you claim that you have no genuine intrest in people and thus dislike 'small talk'. As you said, you don't like hearing about other people's intrests.
I have a problem with your use of the word "thus," but it is true that I have no genuine interest in people and that I dislike small talk.

Quote:
In reality, for normal people, small talk isn't about topics. It's about the enjoyment of a social interaction. In has nothing to do with intresting subjects.
I am not like that, so cut me into little pieces, burn me at the stake, skin me alive, hang me.... Pick your favorite way to punish an inhuman creature like me.

Quote:
I hope i'm not offending you
You are not offending me.

Quote:
but if you do not feel this sense of enjoyment from simple sociale interactions like that, then it is highly likely you will never have friends.
I will probably never have friends. The problem is that my last therapist damaged me and now I feel miserable because I was reminded that I don't get "love" from people. It would seem like the problem can be solved, but I still don't know how to go about getting "love" from people since, as you observed, I don't get a sense of enjoyment from simple social interactions.

I guess the key is finding a therapist who will help me come to terms with my solitude and the fact that I am an idiot for wanting to receive positive emotions from people.

Hermits do it. Monks do it. With the right guidance I might be able to do it, too.
Old 05-18-11, 02:20 PM

IdentityUnknown will become famous soon enough

I will probably never have friends. The problem is that my last therapist damaged me and now I feel miserable because I was reminded that I don't get "love" from people. It would seem like the problem can be solved, but I still don't know how to go about getting "love" from people since, as you observed, I don't get a sense of enjoyment from simple social interactions.

Just out of curiousity, how would you define love? What do you expect from someone who loves you?

I guess the key is finding a therapist who will help me come to terms with my solitude and the fact that I am an idiot for wanting to receive positive emotions from people.

I fear that finding a therapist who's going to help you come to terms with solitude may be quite hard. As i believe most of them defy solitude.

The Following User Says Thank You to IdentityUnknown For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-18-11)
Old 05-18-11, 02:25 PM
ADDvanced Member

xav has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevermore View Post
... It would seem like the problem can be solved, but I still don't know how to go about getting "love" from people since, as you observed, I don't get a sense of enjoyment from simple social interactions.
If you brake an leg will it heal rapidly ?

What is more complex : your leg or your spirit ?

Why your spirit should heal more quickly than a leg can do ?
The Following User Says Thank You to xav For This Useful Post:
nevermore (05-18-11)
Old 05-18-11, 04:00 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xav View Post
Quote:
nevermore ... It would seem like the problem can be solved, but I still don't know how to go about getting "love" from people since, as you observed, I don't get a sense of enjoyment from simple social interactions.
If you brake an leg will it heal rapidly ?

What is more complex : your leg or your spirit ?

Why your spirit should heal more quickly than a leg can do ?

Is it not possible to teach people to like things they don't like... Or is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IdentityUnknown View Post
Just out of curiousity, how would you define love? What do you expect from someone who loves you?
Sounds like you want me to say something so you can contradict me. Why don't you tell me what love is and what I should expect from someone who loves me?