ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 06-28-12, 12:47 PM

boredman99 is on a distinguished road
Re: Today I realized that I will never be successful with women. In other words...

so are you without friends because of your condition or because you choose. There are many benefits to living on your own and one would be finding a relationship or some friends.
It doesnt have to be dozens of friends just on one or two and maybe even a girlfriend.

You could live near your parents and tell the girl they like the security and she will think you sweet.Who is leaning on who? You or your parenst..

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearcube View Post
... I wasn't crazy or delusional.

You see, today I read an article written by one of those dating "experts" and he admitted that there's little his teachings can do to help you if you have made poor lifestyle choices. The poor lifestyle choices he mentioned include:
  • being broke
  • being unemployed
  • living with your parents
  • not having friends
  • being overweight
Luckily, I'm neither broke, unemployed, nor overweight, but I live with my parents and essentially have no friends.

Years ago I argued before a psychologist that there was no point in my trying to attract women because sooner or later, as soon as they learned that I live with my parents and have no social life, they would likely reject me. The psychologist, of course, rather than admitting that I was right, made it seem like it was all in my head. But today I realized that it wasn't all in my head and that I was, in fact, right. Yes, of course I was right. Living with your parents is a HUGE turn off for women because it implies that you are a boy and financially unstable.

But you know what the problem is?

Living with my parents works for me, because while I'm not broke, I would not feel comfortable being in a situation where I have to spend half my salary on a full rent, so by living with my parents I have the opportunity to minimize my expenses while giving money to my parents rather than a third party. Also, since I essentially have no friends, I would feel very sad and lonely if I were to live on my own, completely isolated from people who care about me. Finally, my parents enjoy my company and have no desire to kick me out of the house, so the current arrangement works very well for all of us.

Since the current arrangement is not likely to change any time soon, and since I am not interested in having friends, that means that I will never be attractive to women, and there is little point in my bothering to attract women, because even if I succeed they will reject me when they discover my "poor lifestyle choices".

I was right.
The Following User Says Thank You to boredman99 For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (07-08-12)
Old 06-28-12, 01:52 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Today I realized that I will never be successful with women. In other words...

well that's all fine and good RHW. you're how old now (this is not meant to be taken offensively or negatively, i actually do not know how old you are. i would assume 20's, possibly early 30's. dont know)? cuz girls today are different and somewhere between 60-90% superficial. then again maybe it's all the girls i know. college girls will be easier to look for one.

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 06-28-12, 01:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,410 Times in 1,334 Posts
TheChemicals has disabled reputation
Wink Re: Today I realized that I will never be successful with women. In other words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conman View Post
well that's all fine and good RHW. you're how old now (this is not meant to be taken offensively or negatively, i actually do not know how old you are. i would assume 20's, possibly early 30's. dont know)? cuz girls today are different and somewhere between 60-90% superficial. then again maybe it's all the girls i know. college girls will be easier to look for one.
Now thats offensive and negative. Not even i would have said that.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Conman (06-28-12), RedHairedWitch (06-28-12), spunkysmum (06-28-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-12, 01:56 PM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

I'm 32.

The girls your age aren't superficial or *******, or anything ... what they are is inexperienced.

Edited to add:

When you come across as a creep, it's not because you are a creep. It's because you are inexperienced and nervous and stuff. When a girl comes across as superficial or whatever, it's not because she's a *****, it's because she is inexperienced and nervous and doesn't know what the heck she is doing.

most people aren't horrible people, we're just horrible at being people.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
ana futura (07-04-12), Fuzzy12 (06-28-12), Unmanagable (06-30-12)
Old 06-28-12, 02:29 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

i like the last line. i wouldnt say alot of them are inexperienced either...

-Hunter S. Thompson
The Following User Says Thank You to Conman For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-28-12)
Old 06-28-12, 03:11 PM

Thanked 8,493 Times in 2,827 Posts
RedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond reputeRedHairedWitch has a reputation beyond repute

lol having lots of bad sex with silly young men doesn't count much towards real life and real relationship experience.
The absurdity of working so hard to continue doing something you don't like can be overwhelming. And the longer it takes to feel different, the more it starts to seem like everything might actually be hopeless bull. ~ Hyperbole and a Half
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RedHairedWitch For This Useful Post:
ana futura (07-04-12), Conman (06-28-12), Fuzzy12 (07-08-12)
Old 06-28-12, 06:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

kuhan1923 has a spectacular aura aboutkuhan1923 has a spectacular aura about

Sex is overrated. It's the feeling of being alone that really sucks imo.

If you guys are talking about inexperienced with socializing with the opposite sex, then that's just silly. Just be yourself.

If you're not being yourself then go pay for a prostitute, that's all you're really trying to do, score right? Being experienced at picking up girls is a waste of experience, you could've spent all that time being more experienced with your passions instead.

"It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's
greatest lie."
The Following User Says Thank You to kuhan1923 For This Useful Post:
spunkysmum (06-28-12)
Old 06-28-12, 08:11 PM

gearcube is a jewel in the roughgearcube is a jewel in the roughgearcube is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhan1923 View Post
I think this type of mentality is a big problem in this world. Men want women, men want sex, men want pleasure. If you're loving life, the love of your life will also come along during the journey. Don't seek women, follow your heart instead. Seeking therapy for help with women is beyond silly imho; reading magazines with people's advice on "how to get women" is stupid as well.

I sense you are angry for some reason, not having a relationship honestly cannot be the problem. You need to look at your life and see what is truly making you unhappy. Let me rephrase this so im clearer, no man in this world is unhappy for the sole reason of not having a girlfriend or not being in a relationship, it goes beyond this. Something in your life is making you unhappy and you need to change this. You can keep living the way you are living or you can take my advice and make a change.

It's really simple, men aren't happy because they get girls, girls come to men that are already happy.
Let's suppose that you are right. Let's suppose that the day I am happy, women will come to me....

But that's nonsense, because feeling happiness is not the same as displaying happiness.

How do you know I'm not happy right now? Obviously I have a few problems here and there, but who doesn't? who has a perfect life?

Incidentally, when I was in my mid teens I had a lousy attitude. I wasn't happy or depressed but I was the type who walked around pretending he was a tough guy. Guess what? I received some amount of attention from women. I even was approached by several women. I'll say it again: I was approached by several women. Why did I command attention from women back then but not now? Was it the tough guy attitude? Was I cuter when I younger? Did I seem harmless? I know it wasn't my talkativeness, because I've always been quiet.

I want someone to answer those questions. But unfortunately nobody can.

In summary, I don't think that happiness is going to make me desirable to women. I also don't think that displaying happiness is going to make me desirable to women. You still need social skills and at least a modicum of social ability. Not to mention that I no longer have whatever positive trait I had when I was younger.

Arousing interest in another person is one thing. Maintaining that interest if you are quiet and barely say a word is another thing. Maybe the women on this forum can tell us why they don't like the quiet types. And maybe they can tell me why women no longer seem to find me attractive. Unless my facial features have degenerated over the years, I can assure you it's not my overall demeanor or physical appearance.
Old 06-28-12, 08:27 PM

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Maybe the women on this forum can tell us why they don't like the quiet types.
I couldn't tell you, because I do like those types.
Old 06-28-12, 08:33 PM

If all else fails,they make silicone dolls for men who are not successful with women nowadays. They are very popular for men in alaska.

Old 06-28-12, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuhan1923 View Post
Sex is overrated.
I challenge that statement!

First of all:

1. Sex relieves stress
2. Relieves pretty much everything.
3 you can do it to yourself
4. you can do it with someone or with many others.
5. It has accessories you can buy for enhancement
6. Its fun to watch others do it
7. Makes you smile
8. Makes her smile
9. Makes you want more sex
10. Beats talking all night.... 99% of the time
11. Makes your friends envious
12. Makes you the man
13. Makes the neighbors listen
14. Makes babies
15. Makes you happy to come home...or wherever it is you go to get it.
The Following User Says Thank You to TheChemicals For This Useful Post:
Conman (06-28-12)
Old 06-28-12, 08:50 PM

Thanked 30,768 Times in 14,149 Posts
Fuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond reputeFuzzy12 has a reputation beyond repute

well, maybe younger girls look for different qualities. Or more likely like rHw said younger girls don't know yet what they are looking for but instinct tells them to go for a tough guy. Instinct or their friends, movies or books.when people are insecure, confused or just not sure about what they want someone that comes across as confident might feel more reassuring. Perhaps in those days tough guys were in fashion.

I really don't know. Is it possible that back then you didn't come across as bitter and prejudiced? Maybe that made you more attractive. I don't mean that in an offensive way. I think though that in your first post i read nothing that makes you undateable but your negative view of women and your rigid ideas about how women think might scare women off.

I like quiet men by the way. I can't stand people that talk too much. I also don't like men that think they need to be the life of every party. Some women might like that. I don't. We are all different. We've all got different likes and dislikes. I don't see what my peers find attractive in their partners but obviously they do. It's not about being a certain way. It's about finding someone who is compatible with you. And that takes time. And effort. And more importantly it takes an open mind and the willingness to put yourself out there without a mask or your guard up and risk getting rejected, hurt or disappointed. And still keeping an open mind and understanding that no matter how many silly or superficial women you've met we are not all like that. But you have to give enough women the chance to prove that to you and to prove to them that for someone you really care about you are ready to accept some of their flaws as well and make certain compromises.
Quote:
Let's suppose that you are right. Let's suppose that the day I am happy, women will come to me....

But that's nonsense, because feeling happiness is not the same as displaying happiness.

How do you know I'm not happy right now? Obviously I have a few problems here and there, but who doesn't? who has a perfect life?

Incidentally, when I was in my mid teens I had a lousy attitude. I wasn't happy or depressed but I was the type who walked around pretending he was a tough guy. Guess what? I received some amount of attention from women. I even was approached by several women. I'll say it again: I was approached by several women. Why did I command attention from women back then but not now? Was it the tough guy attitude? Was I cuter when I younger? Did I seem harmless? I know it wasn't my talkativeness, because I've always been quiet.

I want someone to answer those questions. But unfortunately nobody can.

In summary, I don't think that happiness is going to make me desirable to women. I also don't think that displaying happiness is going to make me desirable to women. You still need social skills and at least a modicum of social ability. Not to mention that I no longer have whatever positive trait I had when I was younger.

Arousing interest in another person is one thing. Maintaining that interest if you are quiet and barely say a word is another thing. Maybe the women on this forum can tell us why they don't like the quiet types. And maybe they can tell me why women no longer seem to find me attractive. Unless my facial features have degenerated over the years, I can assure you it's not my overall demeanor or physical appearance.

Last edited by Fuzzy12; 06-28-12 at 09:08 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzy12 For This Useful Post:
RedHairedWitch (06-29-12), Unmanagable (06-30-12)
Old 06-28-12, 09:56 PM
ADDvanced Member

-nyr0c- will become famous soon enough

Can I add in my two cents as an inexperienced young woman? (I guess I can call myself that now - I turned 18 in May -shrugs-) Oh, and I didn't read all the posts, so sorry if I repeat anything. And I also apologize for the length of this thing.

I like to live by a little saying called "There is someone for everyone." I have here a video to back up this theroy (yes, I know it's from a movie, but I think it could happen in real life. Sorry if this seems to be in poor taste. The part toward the beginning of the video is what I'm reffering to.)

Is this a little bit naive of me to believe in this saying? Quite possibly, I have yet to determine that. But I think it's a little different then saying "Someday my prince/princess will come." That implies there is a perfect match for you out there, which I don't nescessarily agree with. People aren't perfect; there is no perfect person out their for you. Sorry if that's what you were expecting (which I don't think you are, Gearcube.) However, there is/are the right person/people out there for you.

By that, I mean that there are millions of people on this planet, and it's very likely that you can find many women that you are compatible with, and that genuinely like you. Believe me, there are tons of girls that aren't "stuck up/have high standards," they are just shy. I understand it can be hard to brake through that shell, let alone brake through your own shell. It just takes a little work.

I would recommend confronting a woman you already established "friends" with, and do it in a way that is not only comfortable for you, but also for her. Plus, just be honest about your feelings and what you want... that way there is no confusion. If she still isn't interested, don't loose hope. If she isn't interested in you in that way, just continue to be a good friend, and things might change for you.

Don't have any female friends? Here's a tip: get involved in some community clubs or organizations, like maybe a book club. That's a great way to meet girls, because most girls who are in organizations like that are generally nice, approachable people. I understand your a bit of a shut in - the same is true for myself. But, it isn't too hard to join a club that has activities you are interested in. Just find one that interests you.

I find that being more positive about eventually "finding someone" makes me a little more positive and confident, and I think that rubs off on people. On days I feel that way, confident and positive, I tend to get more people (not just guys, but people in general) looking my way. Of course, if I catch a guy (cute or unattractive) looking my way, that's when my alarm starts blinking and my walls go up. Not sure why, but that's what happens. Believe me, it is just as annoying for me as it probably is for the guys.

I can understand how confusing my signals can be, but guys are just as bad sometimes. It depends on the guy, but if I'm looking at guy for whatever reason and they catch me doing it, they either maintain eye-contact or they start laughing or glare right back at me. Rarely do any of them ever look away. I usually am the first to look away; guess I'm easily intimidated. When they laugh or glare, I feel really stupid, like some pathetic little girl who DARED to even look their way. But that's just from my own personal experience - other girls might be a little more brave than I am.

That's the best I can do, though I probably should just keep my trap shut because I've only ever dated twice, and I only consider one of them to have been a real relationship. So I'm probably not even qualified to give this advice -sheepish grin-

Current Medication - Straterra (80 mg Daily), Adderall (half of 15 mg Daily)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -nyr0c- For This Useful Post:
kuhan1923 (06-29-12), RedHairedWitch (06-29-12), Unmanagable (06-30-12)
Old 06-28-12, 10:36 PM

Thanked 2,598 Times in 1,220 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Geartube,

Come on brother! ... Show a little hope. First of all, why do you think there are no shy GIRLS, no socially awkward GIRLS, no lonely GIRLS, out in the world? They are out there looking for you, and you're here complaining about not getting attention from the "cheerleaders."

There is a girl on the other side of town, who is saying the same thing about guys, including you. She's saying you and other guys only want the super good-looking girls, the smooth girls, the girls with traditionally great bodies, etc. She's citing evolution to say men want women who are submissive and can't think. She's saying all that you're saying.

FIND THAT GIRL!

Would you be interested in meeting a girl similar to yourself in social skills?
You might find a fellow traveler and you guys can grow together and coach and support each other as you develop your social skills.

So why aren't you in therapy to deal with your poor social skills and loneliness. You sound like a great candidate for group therapy. And you'd meet others like yourself and you guys would encourage each other and give hope to each other and learn from each other.

The happiness point, you're getting lost. The key thing first is that if you're really happy, you wouldn't need to come on this board and complain about "girls" (as in all girls) think this way or that way.

I've been where you've been. I've been there. And what pulled me out of it (one of the things) is realizing that I was focusing on super pretty girls and actually turning down invites or indicators of interest from other girls. I realized I was being hypocritical. I was charging girls with liking conventionally handsome and social guys, and yet I was pursuing and conventionally good looking and social girls.

One more time: if you're living at home and saving money, why aren't you in therapy to develop social skills?

Tone
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
-nyr0c- (06-28-12), ana futura (07-04-12), Fuzzy12 (06-29-12), Gilthranon (07-01-12), Phantastic (07-01-12), RedHairedWitch (06-29-12), spunkysmum (06-28-12), Unmanagable (06-30-12)
Old 06-28-12, 10:43 PM

Thanked 2,812 Times in 1,493 Posts
spunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond reputespunkysmum has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToneTone View Post
I've been where you've been. I've been there. And what pulled me out of it (one of the things) is realizing that I was focusing on super pretty girls and actually turning down invites or indicators of interest from other girls. I realized I was being hypocritical. I was charging girls with liking conventionally handsome and social guys, and yet I was pursuing and conventionally good looking and social girls.

Tone
It takes a big man to admit that! My hat is off to you!
ToneTone (06-29-12)