ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > SCIENTIFIC DISCUSSIONS, RESEARCH, NEWS AND EVENTS > Current ADD Events & News > ADD Events
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

ADD Events Listing of upcoming AD/HD related events such as conferences, workshops, chats, etc.

Old 08-31-12, 06:21 PM

FellowADDer is a jewel in the roughFellowADDer is a jewel in the roughFellowADDer is a jewel in the rough
Is this Online ADHD conference any good?

I've seen some marketing for this online ADHD conference coming up soon...
http://adhdconference.com/

Can't really tell if it's a marketing thing, or a good resource.

It sounds like the main takeaway would be a bunch of audio/video recordings of sessions. But at $227, that's pretty pricey for an individual (like me) who is just looking for information. You can buy a lot of books and resources for that much.

Has anyone tried this in the past? Any thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to FellowADDer For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-31-12)
Old 08-31-12, 07:49 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is this Online ADHD conference any good?

Google is your friend. Barnes and noble too. There is probably some good info there but if the price is too much stick to the basics.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
namazu (08-31-12)
Old 08-31-12, 08:26 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 10,443 Times in 3,292 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

May I suggest you look at this: http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...14#post1099114

All of these are free but be warned, they will not discount nor negotiate price (grin)

More seriously, they really are free and they are very good, really the best I have run across.

Really hard to beat the price and if you want to go deeper, they will make a very good knowledge base to work from.

Yours,

Dizfriz
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (09-05-12), Drewbacca (09-05-12), Electra2 (09-06-12), FellowADDer (09-02-12), namazu (08-31-12), someothertime (08-23-13)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-12, 09:32 AM

FellowADDer is a jewel in the roughFellowADDer is a jewel in the roughFellowADDer is a jewel in the rough

Wow, thanks for the links to some great material, and the perspective. I didn't realize Barkley was so highly respected. Had seen a few of his YouTube videos, and they are very good.

Am working my way through the information now. Will take some time... it's a nice sized "treasure trove".

And, yes, this is clearly some very good stuff.
Dizfriz (09-02-12)
Old 09-02-12, 09:37 AM

Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,917 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FellowADDer View Post
I've seen some marketing for this online ADHD conference coming up soon...
http://adhdconference.com/

Can't really tell if it's a marketing thing, or a good resource.

It sounds like the main takeaway would be a bunch of audio/video recordings of sessions. But at $227, that's pretty pricey for an individual (like me) who is just looking for information. You can buy a lot of books and resources for that much.

Has anyone tried this in the past? Any thoughts?
Have a a look at Jennifer Koretsky's book. (Odd One Out). It is cheap and really helpful.
She is an excellent ADD Coach AND is one of us.
The seminar is more for professionals, and I would not pay for it unless it was tax deductible.( It is for me- but I suspect there is nothing new in it).

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Dizfriz (09-05-12), Drewbacca (09-05-12), FellowADDer (09-02-12), someothertime (08-23-13)
Old 09-02-12, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barliman View Post
Have a a look at Jennifer Koretsky's book. (Odd One Out). It is cheap and really helpful.
She is an excellent ADD Coach AND is one of us.
The seminar is more for professionals, and I would not pay for it unless it was tax deductible.( It is for me- but I suspect there is nothing new in it).
Thanks, Barliman. Yes, I have the book and have read it multiple times already. It's simple but very good. She also has a video or two on YouTube. There is something very real about her description of what she went through, and it resonates with my own emotions. In fact, if I remember correctly, a video was the first time it really hit me emotionally that she was describing some of what I feel. It sort of hit home like nothing I had seen before, and was part of the impetus for me to learn more about ADHD and eventually get a diagnosis.

I can see her being a good coach. (And in case it's not obvious to other readers of this thread, she is the organizer of the online conference.)
Kunga Dorji (09-02-12)
Old 09-04-12, 11:03 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Rather than paying for an ADHD conference, I'll be listening to the free "Great Parenting Show" starting online today at 1 PM ET. They are free unless you miss a teleseminar then they give you an option to pay for the replays. If it's allowed, the link is http://greatparentingshow.com
Old 09-04-12, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertaParent View Post
Rather than paying for an ADHD conference, I'll be listening to the free "Great Parenting Show" starting online today at 1 PM ET. They are free unless you miss a teleseminar then they give you an option to pay for the replays. If it's allowed, the link is http://greatparentingshow.com
Looks like a good parenting resource. Thks. So far, haven't felt real pressed for parenting advice (the kids are still 3 and under), but looks like one to keep in mind, especially if ADHD pops up with them. But my understanding is that while it is likely they'll inherit it, it's by no means guaranteed that ADHD will be passed on, and then maybe even not to all the kids.
Old 09-05-12, 08:23 AM

Thanked 6,183 Times in 2,917 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at De Kenny Handelman's blog:
http://www.addadhdblog.com/holiday-m...emember/#23e8c
He is a Paediatrician and an ADDer. His book "Attention Difference Disorder" is well worthwhile, and there is much of value on his blog.
Just watch out for the tiered marketing approach though- access what you can without spending, then move on!

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
FellowADDer (09-05-12)
Old 09-05-12, 11:37 AM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

My suggestion is to look for book reviews here on this site and also to read through the book reviews at Amazon... I always sort my search results by avg. customer review and then I ignore any books that only have one or two reviews. I've found this a reasonably good way to find the published gems.

After you do this, visit the website worldcat.org to find out which libraries near you carry those gems.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drewbacca For This Useful Post:
FellowADDer (09-05-12)
Old 09-05-12, 12:23 PM

Quote:
He is a Paediatrician and an ADDer. His book "Attention Difference Disorder" is well worthwhile, and there is much of value on his blog.
Just watch out for the tiered marketing approach though- access what you can without spending, then move on!
Looks good. Will add it to my podcast list. Thanks!
Old 09-05-12, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbacca View Post
My suggestion is to look for book reviews here on this site and also to read through the book reviews at Amazon... I always sort my search results by avg. customer review and then I ignore any books that only have one or two reviews. I've found this a reasonably good way to find the published gems.

After you do this, visit the website worldcat.org to find out which libraries near you carry those gems.
You're really talking my language! I'm a book nut, so have already bought more ebooks on ADD than I can probably read in the next year or two!

Have never heard of that library site... Very nice.
Drewbacca (09-05-12)
Old 09-05-12, 03:04 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

ConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to beholdConcertaParent is a splendid one to behold

Dr. Kenny Handelman is actually a psychiatrist. His ADHD book, podcasts and teleseminars are very good. His "Medication - What's New" presentation can be viewed at CADDAC.
Quote:
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ConcertaParent For This Useful Post:
FellowADDer (09-05-12), Kunga Dorji (09-06-12), Phoenix Ash (09-27-12), someothertime (08-23-13)
Old 09-06-12, 04:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CADDAC is having a live 4th Annual ADHD Conference near Toronto, Canada on October 11-14, featuring Dr. Kathleen Nadeau.
The Following User Says Thank You to ConcertaParent For This Useful Post:
FellowADDer (09-06-12)
Old 09-06-12, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConcertaParent View Post
CADDAC is having a live 4th Annual ADHD Conference near Toronto, Canada on October 11-14, featuring Dr. Kathleen Nadeau.
Thanks! I will definitely keep that one in mind as a potential conference to visit in person, even if for just one day.