ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-13, 11:02 PM

amma1589 is on a distinguished road
Red face Newbie - Trying to figure this all out!

Hi all,

I apologize if this is posted in the wrong place. I am new to this whole thing (literally). I am 23 years old, diagnosed with ADHD in January of this year. I never payed much attention in school but always got good grades so it was never a concern. As I went to college and now graduate school, the work became increasingly difficult for me to complete and I was at risk of failing out. I also have the other adult symptoms: mood swings, inability to form relations, etc. Anyway, so I was evaluated by a psychiatrist over a few weeks and he came to that conclusion.

I started on Vyvanse 30mg and it was amazing for the first month (and is still pretty good). My anxiety went away, I was getting praised at work for how well I was doing, my work was on time, etc. The dose was increased to 50, which I found myself very irritable. It was decreased to 40 and I am now down to 30 again. Feeling okay, besides the occasional jaw tightness and the irritability, I have no issue with the medication - lots of attention, sleeping well, not even a significant amount of weight loss. I am a bit more hyper and sometimes will say something quickly without thinking. I am also a bit more argumentative when in debates, but I do not know if that is directly related to the medication or perhaps that my extreme anxiety has decreased and I am more comfortable speaking up.

My question I guess is how do I know if it's working? I know that sounds dumb, but in nursing school you hear horror stories of taking amphetamines. I want to make sure this is right for me and I feel anytime I talk to a doctor or pharmacist I get a textbook answer. I have noticed my attention increase and my anxiety decrease, which is great. However, I don't think I have the hyperactive part of ADHD, I think I am mainly attention issues. So I do not know if my medicine is making me a bit hyper (again still sleeping fine, sometimes need a coffee in the morning) or if this is just my general self esteem increasing now that I am focusing more, if that makes sense.

I am just wondering if these are experiences anyone else has gone through? Just looking to get some general feedback. I was on a low dose of Wellbutrin 2 years ago for depression, however it didn't really help much with the depression and I never focused on my attention. Any thoughts on Wellbutrin as a treatment for attention?

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong place. Like I said I am very new to this and just trying to figure out how to navigate it all.. Thanks!
Old 04-09-13, 02:28 AM
Mr. BllVt

Thanked 17,971 Times in 9,012 Posts
dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Newbie - Trying to figure this all out!

Welcome, new person.

Increased attention and decreased anxiety are excellent signs that it's working.

You remember the symptoms that you described to the doctor when you were diagnosed? The best-case scenario is that every symptom you told the doctor about is gone now, and you also feel fine. In the real world, what usually happens is that some (maybe even most) of the symptoms are gone, and you also feel pretty good.
Old 04-09-13, 02:29 AM
Mr. BllVt

dvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond reputedvdnvwls has a reputation beyond repute

The amphetamine horror stories from nursing school are based on dosages that are orders of magnitude larger than what we take.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-09-13, 02:38 AM
Mr. BllVt

If I were you I would quit the coffee. Caffeine side effects and Vyvanse side effects make each other a lot worse for some people. Coffee is a kind of clumsy "self-medication" for ADHD, but it works very very poorly compared to Vyvanse. You don't "need" coffee anymore like you used to, when your dosage is correct.

You may find after quitting coffee that your slight feeling of hyper-ness is gone, and you may also find that you don't need to keep your Vyvanse dose quite so low, now that the caffeine isn't irritating you and making side effects worse.
Old 04-09-13, 11:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,611 Times in 886 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome amma1589!!

I am in nursing school too!! It's a rough road with ADD, isn't it?? I don't have the H either. What we have is ADD-PI (Primarily Inattentive). There is a thread for it on here as well.

Your med appears to be working if you are getting praised and feeling less anxious.

Keep us posted!!
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

Old 04-09-13, 02:11 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

If you have overall symptom control then they are working. F**k the horror stories. They are based on misinformation,exageration and stupid media hype.

I carried a watermelon?