ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 06-18-13, 03:33 AM
ADDvanced Member

judayxlo will become famous soon enough
Why does it take so long to find a good psychiatrist?

I'm kind of at the end of my ropes here.
Every psychiatrist I've found seems ok in the beginning, then somehow end up disappointing me a week or two later.

On my second visit to my most recent psychiatrist, I told him all of my problems. About my uncontrollable rage, about my alcohol/smoke dependency, feeling of self loathing, random crying, etc.
His response?
"I don't think you know how you're feeling most of the time. Try to analyze that." then he proceeds to ask me every 5 seconds "how're you feeling now? how about now? how about now??". the last time he asked me, i finally said "confused", to which he responded: "it'll be $25 for today."

I mean what is this?
I go to him because I need my meds, yeah. But I also have problems that I need to work on. He's supposedly a CBT (Cognitive behavioral therapist), but he sounds more like a psychoanalyst to me. I don't like opening myself up to strangers and tell them my most intimate feelings and issues. And it seems like I'm having to do it a lot more than necessary.

Anyone have any tips on where I can find a good psychiatrist by either speaking with them or by looking on their profile online? I don't want to keep wasting my precious visits (I only get 20/year with my insurance) and I don't want to keep jumping from doctor to doctor.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 06-18-13, 03:39 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,996 Times in 1,531 Posts
SquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond reputeSquarePeg has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Why does it take so long to find a good psychiatrist?

Itīs a bit like finding a good man, a needle in a haystack.

You can get some good info re an online profile but one of the most important aspects is that you feel comfortable with that person and can trust them, otherwise you will hold back and it just wonīt work.

My first pscy was such a tiny guy and he seemed to have a little guy complex, I felt that if I had to have him treat me I would rather kill myself, he was so awful. Thankfully he assessed me and referred me to a psychotherapist. I know it takes time to build trust and like your therapist but itīs also important that they "like" you. Can anybody recommend one to you?
Old 06-18-13, 03:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

judayxlo will become famous soon enough

Right! Haha. I just was a bit tired of the seemingly never-ending search!
Ever since I was first diagnosed (September 2011, but I had ADHD my whole life), I've been jumping around from doctor to doctor, basically searching for the right one. Last year, when it seemed like I finally found who I was looking for, he diagnosed me with Bi-Polar II and kept putting me on different meds that never worked.
Then I got into a deep depression that caused me to smoke every day, and I stopped going to see him.
This year I just started going to a new one, and I thought he was fine until the second meeting.

I don't really know anyone else who knows good psychiatrists. Some of my friends NEED one too and they're also searching, haha!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-13, 02:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,079 Times in 569 Posts
ADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud ofADD me has much to be proud of

judayxlo,

It sounds as if you are looking for someone to do talk therapy with? If so, you might have better luck looking for a clinical social worker (various letters used, like MSW or LCSW) or a psychologist who does face to face therapy, or an advanced practice psychiatric nurse practitioner (in some states, they can write scripts).

My social worker counselor therapist was the one who essentially diagnosed me. I understand that practitioners familiar with adult ADHD are not common, so look for that.

In many areas, psychiatrists do little talk therapy, because there are not enough of them. While they remain interested in patients doing well, most are needed for drug management.

If you also need someone to manage meds, a talk therapist can often get you in with a pdoc who does drug management primarily. Or, if you are stable on meds right now, maybe you family doctor can write scripts, knowing that you are getting therapy.
Medication: Short acting generic Adderall; low dose of escitalopram.
Old 06-19-13, 04:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,094 Times in 15,350 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I would let the doctor stick to meds and find a therapist for the rest.

I carried a watermelon?