ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 02-22-05, 10:22 PM

Captain Da Da is on a distinguished road
If I had never met my fiancee, I would have never noticed that a lot more girls than I thought liked me.

You are not the only one. I wouldn't have known, in the past, if a girl was hitting on me if she offered me to go back to her place with her. I would have said, "O.K. You must live in a bad neighborhood."
Old 02-24-05, 12:17 AM

Gray216 is on a distinguished road
Yeah I always thought it was just me being extremely naive. But now I know better.
Old 02-27-05, 05:59 PM
ADDvanced Member

Toby is on a distinguished road
I like this logic, We're obviously all naive sex gods/godess's
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-05, 12:05 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Digitl has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby
Digitl the sex godess....yep that sounds real good
«I love that logic

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 02-28-05, 12:11 AM

laraR has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Da Da
If I had never met my fiancee, I would have never noticed that a lot more girls than I thought liked me.

You are not the only one. I wouldn't have known, in the past, if a girl was hitting on me if she offered me to go back to her place with her. I would have said, "O.K. You must live in a bad neighborhood."
Hahah!!!, I'm totally with you on that!!!
although it's never happened to me!
but one thing i gotta say personally is

ME TOO!!!
Old 03-08-05, 05:28 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

chain has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoffee
Did anyone else with ADD have this promblem or i'm just that social stupid to pick up on it when a women is trying to get my digits or more, I keep reflecting tiems in the past where they hit on me but i didn't relize it till after the fact or too late.

Just wondered. TIA
This is soo me! I have figured out that I just do not understand the nuance of mating behavior. I spent most of my college years without women in my life because I thought I was ugly and unattractive. This was not true at all... I just could not tell that girls liked me. When I look back on it, I always had girls hanging around my dorm room asking me to give them backrubs and the such. It always took an ADD woman to get the point across to me! I have really only connected with ADD women, and that is part of the reason. I did spent 12 years in a marriage with a woman I did not connect with (not ADD). So for me it is non-linear women all the way!

Some guys like blondes, some like redheads or brunettes. Some guys are "breast" men and some look at legs... Me? I like a woman with a non-linear cognitive structure

Look for the tomboys with lots of confused guy friends
Old 03-08-05, 05:47 PM

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mccoffee
Did anyone else with ADD have this promblem or i'm just that social stupid to pick up on it when a women is trying to get my digits or more, I keep reflecting tiems in the past where they hit on me but i didn't relize it till after the fact or too late.

Just wondered. TIA
I do the same thing. I can remember numerous times that I was being hit on BUT didn't realize it until later. When I was MUCH younger I was dating two women at the same time(which seemed like a big deal to a guy like me) and a third one was hitting on me all of the time. I think I just tuned it out because I couldn't muster the focus to manage to juggle dating 3 women at once.
Ah, the good ole days!

There has even been times when my wife has made comments about women flirting with me or "coming on to me," as she puts it, and I had NO idea it was happening....and of course she thinks I provoked it and I never hear the end of it.
Ah, where are those good ole day?

What really stinks is when you get the signals mixed and think a woman is hitting on you and take that next step to find out that you couldn't be MORE WRONG!
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 03-08-05, 06:03 PM

Location: In a cynical state of mind where mankind fails to impress
FightingBoredom will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby
Toby, I'd agree with you except that I think sex gods/goddess's actually end up having sex rather than walking away scratching their head and asking..."was I being hit on?"
our "higher" selves.
I just hope I can remember that I came to this realization!

And I'm sick of giving people advice. They don't listen. They don't really want to deal with their issues. They just want to whine and complain and have someone else listen and tell them everything is going to be OK!

Well, everything is NOT going to be OK unless you learn to handle whatever comes your way.
Old 03-08-05, 06:12 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
I just read a clue for you guys in one of those body language type books. If you approach a woman and she stares ahead at the wall opposite her eyes, you are losing out. If she lowers her eyes and her eyes sort of sweep the floor, you are doing well. If you get the eyelash flutter, keep going. If her hand touches her hair, great. Also keep in mind how verbal women are. There will be verbal clues -- hints. Lots of times women will pose a question as a sort of scenario. What if . . . ?? This could mean she is trying to find out how you feel about her. Now, in truth, there are women who flirt for fun and see it as harmless, but most women don't bother constructing scenarios for guys they are not interested in.
Old 03-09-05, 02:06 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

whiteraven has disabled reputation
I have been confused from fifth grade on this issue.
Never could tell if guys liked me or not.
Missed lots of cues.
And I guess if I liked a guy with ADD, which would be likely...
He'd miss all my cues!
Cueless! lol
Old 03-09-05, 02:10 AM
Banned

mccoffee is on a distinguished road
it sucks i always mis read stuff that and i have a hard time making the initial introduction.
Old 03-09-05, 05:17 AM
Jr Member

StanleyW has disabled reputation
I totally agree. MY innability to pick up hints, clues and subtle nuances stems more from paranoia. The first 18 years of life, no one liked me. I was loud, disruptive, impulsive, considered rude and conceited. I always thougt I was acting like a jerk but couldn't help it. Especially women, young girls are mean and they get mad when men are, double standard I think. Anyways, one day blam! women like you. They drop hint after hint and then leave. Well if you look at me I assume something is wrong.

Also a big thing with ADHD is the total unwillingness to deal with bull****. We blurt out and think without speaking because what we say is true as far as we know it. Games and lies are not in our nature because we get lost in games and forget the lies we tell (not speaking of the immense lying we do as children). Women play games that we never learned because we were loners and we didn't learn this growing up. As an adult I have neither the time or patience for games. My girlfriend knows to touch me when in the mood and tell me or at least pout heavily when angry. If she stays quiet or drops hints, well I warned you. I'll drop the ball like I'm the Indy Colts on the path to the Superbowl.

"I'm sorry, I wasn't paying attention to what I was thinking."
Old 03-09-05, 05:04 PM
Jr Member

nu2add is on a distinguished road
I find I'm the oppostite. I don't know whether it's because of my ADHD or not, but I'm very sensitive to the people around me. I'm very good at noticing any changes in other people's moods, whether or not they're nervous, uncomfortable, etc. Sometimes they don't even have to say anything and I'll know through their eyes, body language or other subtle indicators. Is anyone else on the same boat? I actually enjoy this 'side effect'. I look at it as a 'sixth sense' of sorts.

On the other hand, there's also a downside....sometimes, I'm too sensitive and excessively sefl-conscious. I'm working on keeping the positive side effect and 'neutralising' the negative....it might take some time though since I've only discovered the world of ADHD about 2 weeks ago
The Following User Says Thank You to nu2add For This Useful Post:
Rudegar (06-27-08)
Old 03-09-05, 06:15 PM

Digitl has disabled reputation
[quote=nu2add]I find I'm the oppostite. I don't know whether it's because of my ADHD or not, but I'm very sensitive to the people around me. I'm very good at noticing any changes in other people's moods, whether or not they're nervous, uncomfortable, etc. Sometimes they don't even have to say anything and I'll know through their eyes, body language or other subtle indicators. Is anyone else on the same boat? I actually enjoy this 'side effect'. I look at it as a 'sixth sense' of sorts.

I am the same way you are nu2add. I can sense people's energy ect.
But when it comes to men, i dont notice if they are interested in me, for a date, or just to talk for a friend. I still can sense men's energy...but not about that specific thing.

I've been dating since I was fifteen! I'm exhausted. Where is he?

Not a shred of evidence exists in favor of the idea that life is serious.
Old 03-09-05, 08:38 PM

Coral Rhedd is on a distinguished road
[quote=Digitl]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nu2add
I find I'm the oppostite. I don't know whether it's because of my ADHD or not, but I'm very sensitive to the people around me. I'm very good at noticing any changes in other people's moods, whether or not they're nervous, uncomfortable, etc. Sometimes they don't even have to say anything and I'll know through their eyes, body language or other subtle indicators. Is anyone else on the same boat? I actually enjoy this 'side effect'. I look at it as a 'sixth sense' of sorts.

I am the same way you are nu2add. I can sense people's energy ect.
But when it comes to men, i dont notice if they are interested in me, for a date, or just to talk for a friend. I still can sense men's energy...but not about that specific thing.
I always know. But I don't always respond the way I want to darn it! Something seems to hold me back. I spend too much time trying to analyse motives, that I never give them proper encouragement. I suspect that I am pretty hard to read.

Sometimes, I turn shy. It's like I am in high school again. All that awkwardness.