ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

View Poll Results: Do you work out regularly?
Im a workout fanatic...Just call me Ahhhhnuld! 43 13.27%
I have a regular work out schedule 2 - 4 days a week 98 30.25%
I work out once a week 18 5.56%
I work out once every other week 11 3.40%
I cant seem to get motivated to work out, but I would love to 139 42.90%
I cant even spell wurk out...ermm woork out..nm 15 4.63%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-09-03, 04:54 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Thanked 1,633 Times in 574 Posts
Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Question Working out

Here's a question for the guys:

How many of you work out on a regular basis? How many of you are workout fanatics? How many of you dream of working out, but can't seem to break the chain of excuses?

To review the ADD Forums Guidelines, please click here.
Old 03-26-03, 05:40 PM

phischeyeat is on a distinguished road
Actually one of the most significant changes for me since the ADD dx is that I work out constantly now. I even hooked up with a personal trainer to get me on a proper program, that has been a great investment. Not only is he a great trainer he has become a good friend. I think the effects of wroking out are as equally beneficial for me as the meds.

"The issue is to have the heart and the courage to move ahead, to have the courage to take one step forward and know that it will open up doors to new levels of well-being."
Old 03-26-03, 09:50 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Andrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew has a reputation beyond repute
Hrmm...I need to get motivated again. I do enjoy working out, but would love to be challenged, like with a trainer or workout partner. Too bad the median age of my neighborhood is 91!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-03, 08:45 PM
Jr Member

kulaboy is on a distinguished road
I started working out for about a full year and dropped like 30 pounds. I did it compulsively, like 1-2 times a day including running, weights, aerobics etc. I did it all. Then I stopped and barely have worked out since, with only occasional, sporadic weeks where I will and then lose motivation. Right now I'm going about every day
Old 04-04-03, 12:51 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Just started riding my bike again. Been doing about a mile every morning, to get the blood pumping

Old 04-04-03, 04:45 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
I used to work out a long time ago on a regular basis but can't seem to get myself into the groove of doing it again unless I have an upcoming event, which is stupid because working out only a month prior to a race doesn't do much for you.
I am big into Jet Ski racing (Endurance) and I got the crap kicked out of me at the first race.. I keep asking myself if I could have prevented it if I had been in good shape.
It was an offshore event and the surf was insane. I can handle (and love to fly) big surf in sets but this was like a washing machine.. Hitting from all sides.. I ended up coming off my ski in mid-air at about 45mph and pan caked into my ski when we hit the face of another wave. My knee is all swollen up now, though it didn't happen until about 1 1/2 weeks after the wreck. Bottom line is this, if I was stronger across the board, would I have been able to fight coming off the ski better? Probably..
At the end of last season I was in pretty good shape.. During the off-season I didn't do much else but slap keys on the computer, and at night have a drink of Bacardi & Coke to relax.. Not good.
I think one of the biggest problems for me is I get so focused into something (usually computer/site related) and can't pull myself away to go work out..
This really is something that I need to address because my "dream" is to be world champion in my class this year at the Championships (which happen to be in Texas this year for the first time - my backyard). I dominated the super course (endurance) races last year but didn't make it to the championships due to finances.. This year I would break my own heart to be in the position to be there and not be able to compete because I have refused to get on a program.

I know this is long winded but I know a lot of people with AD/HD that love to work out but also go through phases.. My father, at 60 turned into a health nut after coming down with adult diabetes. He will go for 6 months running almost 10 miles a day, laying out in the sun, pumping weights.... and then quit! Only to start it up again 6-12 months later..
Have there been any studies done on this?
Old 04-06-03, 09:17 PM

DarkHound is on a distinguished road
I only run when chased, jump when my wife yells, and lift when I'm picking up my fork...

But.. I'm thinking about getting back into paintball... Shooting people legally can feel so rewarding at times..
Old 04-06-03, 10:04 PM
Ghost in the Machine

Am now up to 4 miles a day

Old 04-07-03, 07:03 PM
Jumping.. In slow motion

David is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to beholdDavid is a splendid one to behold
I love paintball.. Good workout too when it's 100+ outside and your are running for cover.

I'm going to go for a mile today.. walking, limping, running.. whatever.
Old 04-07-03, 07:46 PM
ADDvanced Member

Quiescent has a spectacular aura aboutQuiescent has a spectacular aura about
despite me being a girl i cant seem to get motivated to work out, but i would like to. heh some say im a tomgirl!

- "There will always be something better out there, so if you want to wait for something better, you will always be waiting" - Me

- "Negative thoughts, words, and paths are only noise for the signal for our brains. Just like the Signal to Noise ratio is for sound devices, the more noise we have, the less signal we have." - Me
Old 04-07-03, 08:28 PM

atomx is on a distinguished road
I go through phases. I get all gung-ho about working out and getting fit and healthy, and I stick with it for a week or two, then it just sort of... fizzles out.

THANK YOU, AD/HD!! *sigh*

I'm hoping that after I get on my correct meds, I'll be able to stick with it more. I like the feeling of being fit and actually being able to wear NICE looking clothes

-- Tom

PS: Big, I cannot for the life of me "vote" here. It always says my session is invalid. I checked my cookies and it says that it's not rejecting them, so I'm confused. I am behind a corporate firewall (Microsoft) but it's giving me grief. Any ideas?
Old 04-07-03, 08:35 PM
Ghost in the Machine

MSFT most likely is filtering content at the firewall as well. Not sure why you can't vote, but if you PM me your vote, I'll manually add it for you. Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Old 04-24-03, 08:46 AM

MadMike is on a distinguished road
I suffered a cardiac arrest about 16 months ago.

During cardiac rehabilitation, I started weight training.

Like most things that I ďget intoĒ, I went gang-busters. For about six months.

Then, predictably, my interest evaporated.

I worked up some good arms and calf muscles. See results below.

Remember, Iím 53. (I was 52 when I had the cardiac arrest [and two heart attacks])

OK, to be totally accurate, the cardiac arrest was on January 23, 2002. The pics below were taken in August, 2002. My birthday is April 3rd, 1950. The cardiac rehab and subsequent weight training didnít start until around February or March.

You do the math. Phew!

Click Here For Calf Pic

Click Here For Arm Pic

Last edited by MadMike; 04-24-03 at 08:57 AM..
Old 04-26-03, 12:03 AM

mark is on a distinguished road
MadMike, dude, you are totally ripped! YOUR HUGE!!!!

Can you offer me an excercise that would target specifically my biceps? Forceps are okay, just want to concentrate on bulking up my upper arms. Pecs could use some work too, but for now, I want to just focus on the biceps. What do you suggest? Freeweights, machine, supplements? Give me a specific workout that you use. Is it as simple as just doing pull-ups/chin-ups?
Old 05-27-03, 05:34 AM

pap_1 is on a distinguished road
Well about 10 years ago I did Lau Gar kung fu for a few years at the same time in my life I was on permanent 6-2 morning shift in a physical job and when I got home from work I trained for an hour or so at home, then I got a groin strain and stopped training altogether and since then haven't exercised at all

But over the years I wanted to start back training but didn't have the confidence, I did find it hard with the martial arts cos my mind would get really confused when learning new sets (Kata) which I'm sure is related to ADD.

Anyway, I ordered a Total Gym XLi last week so am looking forward to getting that, cos I really loved exercising, so now I can do it at home and lose the weight I need to.

Paul