ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

View Poll Results: Do you work out regularly?
Im a workout fanatic...Just call me Ahhhhnuld! 43 13.27%
I have a regular work out schedule 2 - 4 days a week 98 30.25%
I work out once a week 18 5.56%
I work out once every other week 11 3.40%
I cant seem to get motivated to work out, but I would love to 139 42.90%
I cant even spell wurk out...ermm woork out..nm 15 4.63%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-04, 12:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

E-boy has disabled reputation
No worries about piping up. Piping down has always been my problem. I can never seem to keep my yapper shut when it most needs to be. Some how those moments seem to equate to me as the same as all the times as a kid when I wished I could speak, but wasn't afforded the chance. So now, to a greater or lesser degree, If I feel wronged (and I can be quite defensive) or I think someone else has been, I have a tendency to say something. Usually something quite modest at first, at least if it's on someone else's behalf, but it doesn't take too long for me to ramp up if I really feel things are being done in an underhanded way. The down side of this is that people close to me these days often find it difficult to talk to me about things they ought to be able to. I don't take criticism as well as I should. Oh, on my good days I am fine but if I'm overwhelmed (which is pretty much all the time these days due to stress) I get defensive, impatient, and am generally less than receptive. A communication technique virtually assured to communicate absolutely nothing, except maybe that I carry a lot of distrust for other people from the past that has nothing to do with persons in the present... And I wonder why she blows up at me sometimes.... Heh, I can be very blind to something right in front of me. I mean this is something I am well aware of, and yet I still didn't even see it happening.

I have got to get out of this line of work, or find a better way to cope. Demotion back to what I was doing before, while it will certainly fix the problem is not an option. My family has gotten bigger since then, a pay cut is the last thing I need and, quite frankly, I earned that promotion. I am a **** good tech. I'm just not so hot with politics, or some of the other job description changes that went with the promotion. No, adapting somehow is what I need to do, and do well. Well enough I have some brain juice left at the end of a work day. In the mean time I have to get the home situation resolved to everyone's satisfaction. ADHD is only a peripheral issue here. Oh, the symptoms are all big players, but the real problem is communication and while the ADD may have had a lot to do with screwing that up the ADD is mine and the responsibility rests with me. So, what to do about fixing it....? More gym time for sure.... It helps me think, it calms me down, it relieves the bursting dam feeling behind my eyes. Then I think I will concentrate on using those things attached to the side of my head... Ears I think they're called. Yes those things. I'll try to use them more and the mouth less. When I start feeling defensive I'll just repeat over and over to myself, "She's not them. She's not them. She's not them." Who's them? Take your pick. Old teachers, my father, my mom, a doctor or two, neighbors, relatives, all sorts of folks who thought they knew exactly what I needed to fix my ills. None of them had much good to say most of the time, except mom, of course, she would just lose patience.

Will this fix things? Is it all my fault? Oh, I doubt I'm the root of all evil... I mean, I had nothing to do with the Kennedy asassination... REALLY! Point is, while I have been very hurt by some of my wife's behaviors I haven't been being very fair to her. Oh, it wasn't intentional unfairness. Just typical Dan communication troubles.

I feel very lucky that she has put up with all she has from me, especially in light of these realizations. I feel sort of ridiculous about some of the whining I have done about her here too... How I must have made her feel, shutting her out like I did... OUCH! Yeah, I think I can understand her blowing up.

Mother Theresa she's not, but then neither am I and she's a lot closer than I am in more than just gender.

Still, we have discussed all of this. I have an opportunity to make some changes that show she does, in fact, matter very deeply to me. I haven't worked this hard for this long, and tried very hard to be brutally honest with myself (with some obvious hiccups) to let a little long overdue constructive criticism like this go to waste.

The only thing I can see this changing is the dynamic at home for the better. I suspect many of the things I wanted from her, may come of their own accord, for simply having listened without the involuntary stroll down memory lane.
Old 03-14-04, 05:18 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
root of all evil

Manon joined me a again for the last bit. Promotion through attraction.. hmmm I must be getting better.

I'm one of those who tends to lead with my mouth as well. I talked to some professional coaches in a conference call Tara had posted a link for. It was Thusday night and I noticed I was so slow and deliberate in my questions. I used to go off so fast many people would just shake their heads and walk away having grasped nary a thread of what I had been saying.

If I'm on the ball I force myself to walk slower than I normally would as well. Ramping up is something I've learnt to be cautious of. I can't think of a single instance where it has helped anything for me to be cranked up. Happy, angry or just stupid, I'm not the right guy to handle the ramp in too steep a mode.

"Overwhelmed" is a state that seems to be addressed quite well with lots of physical exercise. I finally saw a resting pulse below 60 last night. Sheesh! I was muscle sore yesterday. Not so much so that it would prevent a healthy half hour today but my body is feeling the work that's for sure. I'm just flying through the workload now. It would be interesting to see the increase charted. I was fantasising about having a body to go along with the healthy heart after imagining you and your talk of weight gain. But first things first and there is a whale of a lot of work around here that could use a strong and healthy Ian with enough stamina to keep at it.

I hadn't articulated it before but I used to take the position that I was essentially the root of all evil. I'm not saying this to be extreme but I was constantly taking responsibility for things that weren't wholly mine. I hope I can continue to keep a grip on my current state of affairs which seems to be more balanced in this regard.

Your partner sounds human like the rest of us.. < g > I think that much of the healing and progress that goes on around here has little to do with ADHD and more to do with fundamentals like communication. Currently I'm trying to re-establish some credibility over issues regarding my authority by practising issuing consequences instead of getting angry with defiant kids. What doesn't follow in this short note is a long dissertation on old dogs and new tricks. Suffice it to say I'm struggling. < vbg >

I'm not sure this is coherent.. might have to have a nap this afternoon, my legs are weary.

Cheers! Ian. :bowl:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar.jpg (10.0 KB, 43 views)
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 03-14-04, 11:46 PM

At least as coherent as I am Ian. :-) Don't forget to take rests on those work out days! It's very easy to over do it and out pace your body's ability to bounce back. Take a day or two every so often to take stock. That might be a good time to write down where you are at.

Resting heart rate coming down is a very good sign. Means your cardiopulmunary system is getting more efficient at rest. Your particular choice of work out, more than likely means you are also putting on some muscle which will, in turn, increase your basal metabolic rate by increasing the amount of actively metabolically active tissue. In short you'll burn more fuel simply by being awake and about. A difference of as little as three additional pounds of lean muscle mass can add 32,000 calories to your annual burn. That's a ten lb net loss by years end by actually gaining some weight! HA! This is why weights are important, though often overlooked. They are also done incorrectly most of the time. Ideally, unless you are body building, which most of us aren't you should find a weight that is a difficult resistance for you at 8 - 12 repetitions in perfect form (even if you have to do it slow to do it right), and stick with it until it becomes comfortable and then go up some weight until you are happy with where you are at. This is will increase strength and muscular endurance under heavy loads. It also promotes good bone density as evidenced by my skull. ;-) People have a tendency to want to lift too much, too fast and they want to bounce, arch, and do all kinds of contortions just to get the weight up. Not only is this a good way to get hurt, but it avoids using the very muscles you are supposed to be exercising. What's the point if you're gonna cheat right? Besides, who are you competing with anyway? There are always a million people in the gym who look ten times better than me and lift more too. I just ignore them, do my workout and then sneak out and let the air out of their tires... No, scratch that last, I'm only kidding about that part. I just work on me and I haven't been on the wieghts in about two months. Just running for now.

As for you Ian, you sound like you are already in remarkably good shape. A resting heart rate in the range you just mentioned is in the very low average range so you can consider yourself quite fit compared to most. Especially considering you are taking stimulant medications.
Old 03-15-04, 12:17 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

healthwiz will become famous soon enough
I guess my comment to everyone is this....if the pros need coaches and trainers, and they are disciplined (in our perception) enough to work out, then why wouldn't the ordinary folks need trainers? If super athletic people need trainers to push them harder, then certainly ordinary or less than ordinary athletic/non-athletic people would at minimum need a trainer to push them harder. Otherwise, we would be outperforming the pros in terms of personal discipline.....

I think if somone wants to work out and stay consistent, they should be prepared to pay out the dinero occassionally, as a booster, to keep on working out. My mentor has a trainer for 9-12 weeks, then takes over for herself for several months, then pays the trainer for 9-12 weeks, so she can stay consistent. When you are disciplind and can do it on your own, drop the trainer for a few months, but be ready mentally and budget wise, to start using the trainer the minute you drop off in ability to push yourself hard enough.

Thats my OP! - from someone who does not work out! I need to take my own advice, but I am currently investing in household rearrnagement services, which will be followed by coaching, which wil then be followed by personal trainer, and then if necessary be followed by dietician. Thats my plan folks!!!

Sincerely, yours,
The modulator!

Jon

"Don't let the diagnosis buckle you at the knees." (me).

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 03-15-04, 02:43 AM

Jon just ignore me... ramblin' off into the wild..

Dan I have seen my heart rate in the low forties but at 44 I should enjoy my sub sixty and shudup.. you are right.. ehh If you notice on my calendars I am taking the odd day off as it feels right. I'll likely take a break tomorrow
The dose reduction is making the workouts feel better too.. it's all good.

Jon in this part of Canada we have many of these resources provided by our standard health care services. With the resources I have before me I'm sure I'll be able to keep myself busy for some time to come. I saw my dietitian twice last year and learnt a bundle. Mostly about insoluble fibre but that's another pile altogether.. ;P~~

The very act of not following a strict rule set for my workouts provides me with an opportunity to practise the skills of listening to my body. I don't have many of these observation skills naturally but at this point in my overall development I appear to be be able to hear my body's messages reasonably well. I'm taking this time to enjoy a patient unstructured observation of me. Calm time if you will.

A greater self awareness both physically and emotionally is a pleasure and a welcome change. No doctor or trainer can better know what I am feeling better than me. When my conjecture rises such that I feel the need for input, I do go looking for professional help but mostly I just want to ease into the routine and have that routine
evolve into a somewhat organic response to my efforts.

I do the same with guitar. Access to a good teacher can spin me off for years.

I've said it before here and I'll mention it again. I'm not nearly as interested in the compiling of information as I am in experiencing the action or of the "doing" elements of things. I am such a hound for information and have a library full of resources that I have milked over the years but precious little has been accomplished in comparison to the knowledge base. I do recognise a credibility gap though as I always appear less experience to people than I am generally.

I've followed Clarance Bass and practised body building in some detail.. (1983/4) I've practised Zen, yoga, raced motor cycles..bicycling and the list is endless but all of these things last only a short time and all end in injury or distraction of one kind or another. Afterward I'm left with a sense of failure and befuddlement wondering what it is exactly that I need to do in order to be happy and to be of service to those around me.

When I was running regularly I was monitoring my blood profile while trying to manipulate a performance boost with my food intake.. I've done so many of these types of excessive "knowing" endeavours. I have grown to distrust them all.

I don't want to be the best. I don't want to have the most. I want to relax into my own skin with the knowledge and self assuredness that I'm loving the people I need to and caring for myself in that same loving manner. Should be easy peasy.. heh

When I work out I'm not busy thinking about my heart rate. I'm laughing with the dog or listening to Manon rave on about the knife I bought her. I want to watch the seasons change and the newly arrived birds from the south.

Much of what plagues me still is that I am often "missing" in the moments that I'm living in. Enter Mr. distactable. So I am practising slowing myself down enough to live at the pace of the life around me not my expectations of it. I am enjoying the some of the fruits of this effort at last.

I have gone to extra ordinary lengths to avoid looking at the essential nature of myself. By working out in a fashion that is patient and relatively unambitious I am afforded windows of insight that are pointers toward those essential elements.

You seem to do things in groups. I don't try to do this type of searching in groups any more. I will do it one one one with certain people but for the most part I am too distractable to benefit from many of those types of situations. I most hunger for a relationship with myself that is clued into the world around me in such a way as to be most useful to myself and others.

You see Jon I'm not after the training.. I'm after the gold ring.. < g >

A healthy balanced lifestyle is a building block I have been neglecting.

I don't pay for anything I don't have to. I am a huge fan of the open source software movement and all things Linux. I'm not using any proprietary software. For a peek into the latest cheap thrill you could d/l and burn a bootable copy of the latest "Knoppix" live cd and set your computer to boot to the cdrom. It'll boot up to an "all the bells and whistles" operating system that runs entirely in RAM. There is nothing to install and once you reboot without the cd, nothing will have changed and all will be mindless.. I mean winduhs again. eheh Please bear with my lame humour. It's a fine example of a paradime shift in our culture that is not often appreciated.. yet. An introduction to this type of discussion is available in Eric Raymond's "The Cathedral and the Bazaar"
You can download it at the URL below. It's not that long.
http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar/

I drive a car that has a half million kilometres on it and besides the rotten body the drive train is showing some wear on the valve guides but it's not like it needs oil added between changes or anything. Being the machine lover I am, I'm in awe of Toyota's prowess. My truck is a 1969 GMC half ton that I get offers on regularly now. The wiring harness wouldn't fool a clown!

Pierrette and I read the United Nations report years ago called "Our Common Future" and have chosen to do our part to reduce, reuse and recycle. Much of our Society seems to have missed the point about "reduction" being the single most effective way to address so many of the worlds woes. We don't recycle much but we have reduced by the truck load. Given that I'm not blue pure prefect, it used to outrage some people to find that we had three computers in the house but we still had to go outside to pee.. it was fun to make jokes in the face of such wrath by saying something naive like... "You don't actually deliver that crap inside at your house do you.. it's filthy you know!". Or catching the up and comers with "you like to eat outside and crap inside.. we like it the other way around here.. " Rest assured we now have plumbing like the rest of the civilised world.

I'm bucking/splitting wood to work out. When it warms up some, I'll do construction work on the girls new digs and work in the garden. If there is time, I'll get to put some miles on the mare. There was a time when blood profiles and charts and records and journals were part of my approach but it didn't save me from myself.... ever.

I'm a numb skull when it comes right down to it and I just don't "get it" if it ain't really simple. I don't want a "pro" level experience, I think the "pros" are missing the point.

Although many would benefit greatly from a personal trainer it would be counter productive for me. I bet you get fitter than I do though... lol

Cheers! Jon.. thanks for the comments.

what is essential is invisible to the eye
antoine de saint-exupery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stonetux.jpg (27.0 KB, 41 views)

Old 03-15-04, 03:33 PM

Eh, It seems we are both hooked up by the government then. The Navy has come a long way since I joined in the end of the 80's. I have full access to personal trainers now. Physical therapists too. We even just recently started putting shrinks on ships which is why yours truly is still in the Navy and wasn't discharged out of hand when my anxiety disorders reared their ugly heads. We also have dieticians and all manner of other health care and preventative medicine available to us. Of course, this is all well and good... Personally, I would have preferred they addressed the horrible pay and housing conditions myself. We still have 70% of military families qualifying for foodstamps. No, not made up, I'm a financial counselor I know the numbers very well. This is after the raises everyone made so much of by the way. Cool eh? Glad I didn't join the Navy to get rich. I'd be so crushed! I don't mind working another job. I only get mad when they talk about how much they appreciate us and do so little to fix the issue, and out and out lie to the press to cover it up ( they told the Navy times I make the equivalent of 47,000 dollars a year on the outside. I don't even clear 30,000 with sea pay and hazardous duty pay! They claim my medical and life insurance are worth 17,000 extra dollars a year, but I could get better coverage for far less money. So, I say give me the extra 17 grand and send me on my way fibbers! Sorry, but that was just wrong.) Anyway, second jobs are good. Keeps me out of trouble. :-)
Old 03-15-04, 11:41 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

ok ok time out! Who is the picture of? That must be clear before going one word further!

Jon

"It ain't what ya don't know what gits ya inter trouble-- t's tha stuff ya know fer sure what ain't so!" Artemus Ward, written about a century ago.

"Rescue us, oh ADD angel, if you exist - from the attention by those who seek to limit us from our own unlimitations, who bind us in straw nots with arguments that hold no hay!" (me)
Old 03-15-04, 11:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Itschaotic, can I call you Itchy for a nickname? I appreciate your deep contemplation on the topic, and I might gain some insight from it...very interesting and humbling, a different way to look at the work out paradigm. I have no idea how it will play out for me in real life, but I appreciate the thoughts..

Jon
PS ~~ Who is the girl?

Old 03-16-04, 01:04 AM

babe factor

A day off... wow.. and I bit in like a real day off. I hope I can resume work at a reasonable pace tomorrow. What a weird day. With enough work physically and a reduction on stims, I was a mellow dude today and how odd is that! < g >

Resting during the day time was down under 70 beats/min this afternoon.. and even on the Dexedrine this afternoon I'm quite sure I would have slept if the book hadn't been so good. I changed the time I take the doses too and that's balancing out much better. The new times of the doses seem to be right on too.

Dan or anyone.. do you know how long a Dexedrine dose regime needs before one can safely say it is to be "proofed" so to speak? How long should I stay at this dose to make sure I'm fully adapted to the change?

The navy is beyond my comprehension. Just thinking about what my life might look like in the military is mind boggling. I'm not even sure I could even submit to a boss at all any more. I've been on my own now since 1986 and I don't think there is any turning back now. One of the drawbacks though is the financial security that even a modest income in the navy would provide. Life without a safety net.. poetry without revisions.. things that make me go.. hmmmm I have some regrets now as I age about the short sightedness of my vision regarding finances but I've done the best with what I had and it's onward and upward now. Spilt milk be gone!!!! and sour grapes to the vinegar barrel.. ehh

I read for about two hours this afternoon and finished the last third of a book I've been milking along for a month or more. If I can get to bed tonight at a decent time I might have a crack at that ever elusive "refreshed" feeling in the morning but I think I've eatten too much for that to be a reality. I tend to burn a little rich on the fuel mixture.. If I want that stomach to flatten out I'll have to stop overloading the capacity.. duh!

Jon your a gracious modulator.. < g > I forgot to correct the image size when I posted that big image of Sharon Stone with the Linux mascot emblazoned on her shoulder. I'm conscious that the people who pay for the band width of this sites activities continue to offer us the privilege of posting images so I apologise for leaving that image larger than I intended. I don't want to abuse it and loose the option of posting images. I suppose this would be a good time to get off my butt and make a financial contribution to the efforts here.. yup. That's a stunning dress...

I re-read that long rambling epistle I wrote from last night and wondered if you would be able to forgive me that indulgence. Your post back here is gratefully received. I'm only a few months into a recovery from a bleak bottoming out last fall where I nearly didn't make it back. Near death experience has a reputation for focusing one's priorities and I'm down to the brass tacks. I am not certain at all that I have the strength to face that degree of darkness again and thus my "deep contemplation".

Jon you can call me what you like.. I'll respond to almost anything. My name is Ian of course but I've been known as "peein' Ian" and a whole host of unmentionables... so feel free to make it up as you go along and then stick with what's comfortable for you. Your patience, tolerance and open mind leave me at ease. Thanks

Cheers! Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: gif canux-leaf100.gif (3.6 KB, 59 views)

Old 03-16-04, 09:24 AM

Ian,

If you go around apologizing for the length of your posts, then how am I supposed to feel? I am not sure I can ever avoid a good ramble or rant... I will be relegated to the terminally rude section of the forum, my posts judged too long to be worthwhile to read... SIGH! Of course, this is probably already true, so I can hardly start griping about it now can I?

When it comes to cold hard cash, I am not a particularly greedy man. Oh, I've coveted my share of shiny trinkets and chrome plated, overly horse powered doo-dads, but material things tend to very quickly lose their luster unless they have real utility or long term entertainment value. In today's "throw away" happy "instant gratification" culture there just isn't a lot of that sort of thing around that isn't well within my reach without the aid of little green peices of paper. Point being, my version of the American dream doesn't involve obsessing about being rich. I wouldn't spit on the money if it was handed to me, or better yet, if I'd earned it, but I certainly don't sit and pine over what I neither want or need.

I wanted to be clear on that after my above gripe. I am actually more ticked about the manner in which they deliver regular lip service, and fail to do a single substantive thing to really support the troops. You know like maybe a raise that puts them far enough above the poverty line so these guys and gals can do their job without having to worry about whether the one car they have, on it's last legs, back in the states is still running, and if their wives/husbands have what they need to get by. Of course, that's expecting a lot in a country that doesn't even pay teachers squat. They make even less than military folks and they're degreed! Garbage men make more than teachers, police officers, firemen, and military personnel in this country. I have nothing against garbage men and I know sanitation is important. I am still left with the disturbing feeling that our priorities are bass ackwards.
Old 03-16-04, 09:38 AM

By the way, I spoke to my Doc. He doesn't remember the sleep thing on the tape at all... :-( He dubiously agreed to let me take my stims at night though. Works pretty good! :-) I think my dose might be a tad high though. I am on 30 MG of adderall which from my understanding is a pretty whopping dose. I'll try cutting it to 20 or 25 and on down till I find a better dose too. I am probably pretty close to a good dose already though, because I can sleep on 30 MG. Feel pretty rested too. It was just fairly light sleep, and I'm concerned in the long term it might be too light to rest correctly.

Ran near six miles yesterday at lunch. Over six if you count cool down. After showering and cleaning up to go back to work my heart rate was aready down to 112 which is an amazingly fast drop for me. Even better my blood pressure pegged the machine at it's lowest on both systolic and diastolic. :-) Very happy with that. My mileage for the last two weeks is near 50 miles. Sounds like a lot until you think about marathon runners pegging 26 in under four hours... What a bunch of party poopers. Since the beginning of Enterprise's cruise I have put more than 300 miles on my poor shoes... Fortunately for them they have been mostly treadmill miles. I figured out that if I hadn't taken the two months off and had continued at the 8 miles a day I would have exceeded my 700 mile goal. Doesn't matter, I reset the counter in March. What's the point? It's like a sort of motivating tool. Gives me a number that sounds more impressive than it necessarily is. Feels good to think about and hear, and my kids go "HOLY COW!" Which is plenty motivating. :-)
Old 03-16-04, 01:42 PM

falling heart rates

Another late winter storm blowing in and another day I got my work out in before breakfast. I'm really happy with the visable aspects of my efforts. The one stack of 4' logs is retreating nicely and the stack of bucked up 18" stove lengths is building to impressive heights.

In the previous years my attention has been so scattered that this work has never been done systematically and never really shows off the larger picture of the job. Much like your 700 and 50 mile goals I seem to get great motivation from this type of evidence.

The stacks are hidden from view unless you take the time to walk behind the summer kitchen. My secret pay off will be later in the spring when the wife walks out to the garden and notices the wood pile. I'm hoping it's worthy of comment by that time.

The half dose on the slow release is looking a little short but the quick release Dex is very close to being right. My pharmacist tells me that the steady state with this stuff is reached within 5 half lives of 12-13 hours. So within three days any dosage changes should be showing their true colours. I am becoming convinced of a co-morbid relationship with depression or some other element I'm not familiar with.

I'm going to have to monitor my falling heart rate after working out.

Cheers! Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar.jpg (10.3 KB, 42 views)

Old 03-17-04, 05:36 PM

Thumbs up t-shirt

One more day and what a glorious one to be outside. Stunning bright sun off the snow and warm enough to be out working in a t-shirt.. yum.. the air could not have been cleaner.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar.jpg (10.3 KB, 32 views)

Old 03-18-04, 01:45 PM

Well, anger is starting to outpace depression, which means I might get into the gym this afternoon after all. I need to. I skipped a day earlier in the week because of having to run all over the peninsula to get things done. Had planned to do it that evening, but had a near migraine experience, and a fight with the wife, and decided unconsciousness was, in fact, the better part of valor. So, I am sitting on 45.09 miles on the counter. Because I forgot the missed day in my calculations and added five point whatever miles that weren't really there... SIGH! Anyway, I'll make up for it tonight.

Heh, my therapist made note of my somewhat relentless running routine in session the other day too. Suggested I might be a little masochistic to do that and still be smoking. Heh, heh. I told her, I'm a mountain boy from Idaho and it was just like high altitude training. ;-)

She cut my sessions to once every two weeks instead of weekly. I think she intends it as a sort of confidence booster. A sort of pat on the back and acknowledgment that she thinks I am doing just fine. I told her that two weeks was fine as long as no one ran over me with a bus... She laughed and said no one would, but she did stop and check to make sure I didn't actually intend to hurl myself in front of one... I don't. I won't deny that I wouldn't feel terribly unlucky if it were to happen, but I won't make it happen...

She is the second person in the last month to suggest I train for a marathon though. I am seriously considering this now. For me, it would be a major accomplishment. I have no illusions about competing in any way shape or form. I am simply not built for it. Even in top physical condition, I have great equipment for maintaining a pace for a very long time, but I have very short legs. So, the pace in question wouldn't be terribly fast. I would be content to finish a marathon.

People have their paradigms all screwed up though. The marathon is hardly the ultimate endurance race. There are people's out there who would laugh at us for even seeing it as difficult. There is a tribe in South America who runs afoot every where they go. They even shunned horses when they were introduced by the spanish. It is not unusual for them to cover 75 miles on foot in a day. This is routine travel, not a major endurance race. One wonders what their concept of a major endurance race would be? Of course theirs is an entirely different culture. No mass transit or cars, or bikes. They are on foot their entire lives and run from the time they can walk on. It is said that Apache braves were known to cover up to 80 miles through the dessert on foot in a day. I just think it puts the whole marathon thing in perspective. I know I can do ten miles, and if I can do ten I can do twenty. Surely then with more training I can do twenty six?

Besides, after all that training and getting back in shape, I won't have any excuses for not playing intramural soccer in the Navy anymore will I? :-) My real reason for not doing it, is that I was quite good at 17 and I am afraid that at 34 I may not measure up anymore. Truth is I scrimmaged a little with my son-in-law who has several full ride sholar ships offered to him for his soccer prowess, and I held my own. He could have been going easy on me though. It would break my heart to stink at soccer now. I guess I could coach it.

Anyway, my weight came up by a pound or two but my waist size is still noticeably smaller. I'm thinking I put some muscle on the old legs. Might have been a result of that unscheduled break. :-)
Old 03-18-04, 10:37 PM

Thumbs up out on a limb

Pretty hollow reward for such painful progress. I know what that feels like but I can say that I'm on the other side of most of it and it's a better place now.

I wish you peace on all fronts.

I trained up for a marathon in the spring of 1983 but never made the date.. motorcycles, beer, and a jazz club in Wisconsin were the culprits I believe. < g >

My old beater below now long gone.

Rushed a half hour in before dinner tonight. It wasn't pleasant to "squeeze" it into the day but I got it in anyway.

I ran to the city to confirm a trial of Welbutrin with a shrink. He supposedly specialises in adult ADHD and the like but I found him woefully behind the curve. It was disappointing.

Ian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 650_325.jpg (12.1 KB, 23 views)