ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

View Poll Results: Do you work out regularly?
Im a workout fanatic...Just call me Ahhhhnuld! 43 13.27%
I have a regular work out schedule 2 - 4 days a week 98 30.25%
I work out once a week 18 5.56%
I work out once every other week 11 3.40%
I cant seem to get motivated to work out, but I would love to 139 42.90%
I cant even spell wurk out...ermm woork out..nm 15 4.63%
Voters: 324. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-02-04, 09:41 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

E-boy has disabled reputation
Got some semi-good news last night. Been concerned over what adderall has been doing to my blood pressure. Noticed at the gym right off the bat during warm up that I was already over 70% of my target heart rate.... ADDERALL. It went much higher while I was working out proper and I did that for most of an hour before it was sauna time (My favorite part). So, for most of an hour I was at 80-90% of my maximum heart rate. That was a little spooky especially with the blood pressure stuff going on lately but I felt fine, so I just did my thing. They have a blood pressure machine on premises so I went ahead and sat through a test about 15 minutes after my workout. My heart rate was still around 136 beats a minute, but my blood pressure was remarkably low.

Anyway, I was out of the routine of running for a good many weeks in transition from ship to shore so I am thinking my heartrate will go back down to reasonable, have to bust my butt to make my target rate, levels within a few weeks. One hopes anyway.
Old 03-02-04, 12:40 PM

Ian has disabled reputation
Smile mornings

Getting my little twenty minute hit in during the early hours of the day seems to be better all round. I'd like to get it in before breakfast but that seems out of reach right now.

My whole day is changed because of it. I'm calmer over all and this leads to a better chance of catching social cues. I'm still quite cranky. Once the bank account has recovered a bit and stabilised and the fruits of my labours generally start to show up I'm quite sure that I'll lighten up in the glow of consistant progress.

As the clouds part I'm quite frightened when I glance backward. Nothing to do but walk forward.. no running yet..

E-boy I don't know what the blood pressure should be doing in regards to exercise and the drugs I'm on. I should look into that... yup. It seems as if my ability to bring my heart rate down is crippled some. I expect I'll taper off this Dex train and use as needed instead of the 10mg slow release in the morning and another 5mg standard release in the afternoon.

I'll start monitoring my heart rate just as I become conscious in the morning to see if I can learn when to ramp up the intensity of the exercise and when to back off for a day or so. This has always been a terrific indicator for me. If I'm working too hard my base rate is up. If I'm ready for more work it will drop.

My elbows are beginning to show signs of stress. I know it's a six week project to adapt some of the tougher tissue like ligaments and tendons. I'm a long way from there. I'm off to look into some ways of helping them out.

Cheers! Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg march.jpg (7.8 KB, 36 views)
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 03-02-04, 12:58 PM

Well, I'm glad it's not just me. The upside is that I find it very easy to jump into sustained activity, providing I am reasonably hydrated (This is trickier than it sounds, see downside). The downside, is it is somewhat worrisome and I have to drink water like it is going out of style.

I am going to bring this up to Doc's attention again tomorrow. Supposedly he has a really good ADD audio tape he wanted me and my wife to listen to, I am supposed to remind him of too. I have remembered that for a month. I only have about 24 more hours to remember it and I am sure I'll find a way to forget now. ;-)

I am no longer really pushing myself. Just glad the ball seems to be rolling well again. I was having real difficulty re-establishing the "habit" of dragging myself out. Now I have to re-establish the weights. I think I'll hold off on that until after the Physical readiness test for the Navy though.

I am also trying to rope my trash talking soon to be fourteen year old into a 5K run with me. They have several fun runs scheduled this spring. He's an active kid and I think he could probably outpace his old man easily enough if he gave himself a little credit. Besides, there's no shame in walking if it comes to that. We are only going for fun and I'll not leave him behind. It's up to him though. I am not going to make him go. I am going to though. It's kind of a reward/motivation for the whole lifestyle change thing.

What I need to do most is quit smoking. Not today though. After that, the next most important thing is dragging my butt to the Navy college office and getting my classes started. Somewhere down the list around item 500,000 or so is the very wistful wish for a trout stream and a cold sixpack (of pepsi with two beers hidden in the back ;-) ). SIGH!
Old 03-02-04, 06:32 PM

work

Getting started for me is tough. Once I'm rolling I'm ok but I still need to have reminders frequently. I have a terrible memory. I write almost everything down. I try to practise remembering but it's tiresome and not very rewarding. There is a game under my bed that I'd like to get into making time to play with the kids. I'll drag it out tonight and have a look at it.

I drink a lot of water too but I use my urine as an indicator of how much I'm needing. I hope your increased water consumption isn't indicative of something too far out of whack. I never used to drink much but found it helped my spring allergy a lot if I could stay hydrated.

Things are definitely moving along. It has been months now without a break through to indicate my efforts are along the right path but I think things are turning around now finally. My posting rate here is sure up.. ehh

24 hours is an eternity... lol

I'm trying really hard not to be pushing myself but even this small commitment of exercise is taxing my system. I don't sleep much so that is likely the culprit. I must say though that today the twenty minutes was over before I was ready to quit which is new. I'm not moving as much flem either which is encouraging. I hail from the "people of the weak lung".

Do you enjoy weight training? I did it for a while but I'm the body type that would make a bad soup. I lean to "scrawny" when I'm fit. I could never put on any bulk lifting weights and that's why I was doing it. Clarence Bass was my hero.. lol

I like the sounds you are making in regards to running with your son. Everything you have said there sounds right on the money. The wild card of course is his to play and that's a long way from a guarantee. I'm sure that if you can continue in that attitude, he'll reap the benefits somewhere down the line as he remembers your healthy approach to him and the running. Passing it forward to the grand kids maybe.. what a warm thought that is. That really is letting the "buck stop here". I'll have to find something like that to offer my eldest. She's 16 and could use something positive from her Papa... maybe driving skills... hmmm. Thanks E.

I finally managed to quit smoking a few years ago. I don't know exactly when. I made a conscious effort not to mark the date. I'd quit so many times before that the only thing that mattered was that I didn't have a smoke in my gob that minute! I suppose it's still like that except I'm repulsed by smoke now.

Sounds as if you have lots on your plate. Classes beginning..and a hell of a list! ehhhe I have a small river going through the bottom third of our 155 acre property. It has a dozen or so species up from the Red River, that struggle with the agricultural run off. I almost never take the time to fish. Maybe once I learn to sit still for a few minutes in the morning for meditation a light will come on and I'll begin to crave a fish fry.

Cheers! Ian of the walleye dreams.

coke and beer to follow.. Photo of my first two trout on a fly rod.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ian_trout.jpg (19.0 KB, 43 views)

Old 03-03-04, 01:57 PM

biker is on a distinguished road
Hey guys,
Good job. i too have noticed my pulse rate and blood pressure are higher since I started the Adderall. I rode into work today. The weather sucked. I was cold and wet. I never really got warm. I did not try to push it just try to make it. The 5k sounds like fun E-boy. Your son may end up likeing the running. I was lucky that I never smoked. Keep it up you guys. Nice fish Ian
Old 03-03-04, 03:57 PM

heart

I took my pulse in bed this morning but something must have been whacked as it was at 80/min. I hope that's not an honest representation of my fitness! I remember the days it sat at 45/min... groan....

Another day.. and stronger yet... one small step at a time.. I'm running out of wood to split so it'll be back to chainsaw work soon and that's never nearly as much fun. I expect it will yield the same results though.

Rain can be a killer. I lived on the west coast of Canada just north of you Jim for many years. I need my ultraviolet... so I'm on the prairie for good now, I hope.

Cheers! Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar325.jpg (10.3 KB, 42 views)

Old 03-03-04, 04:01 PM

Yeah my resting pulse is higher now. I like the rain, but it is a colder rain. Did you live in or around Vancouver? I like chain saws, but I do not get to use them that much.
Jim
Old 03-03-04, 04:07 PM

I lived in the lower mainland in Coquitlam just up the valley from Vancouver for much of my childhood.

Truth be told, I don't mind the saw that much. It is intense enough to hold my attention.. heh
Cheers! Ian.

Old 03-03-04, 04:17 PM

I agree with the saw. I have ridden my bike a few times from seattle to vancouver. Anyway it is one of my favorite cities
Jim
Old 03-03-04, 05:36 PM

I'm not interested in Vancouver at all anymore. I still remember before the days of "heat inversion" where the summers were spectacular.

After the Hong Kong invasion I have no interest in being there at all. I have some family on the island and spend some time in Victoria now and again but Vancouver I avoid. It's like any other metropolis port city only worse because I remember when..

Now Vancouver has an aggressive edge to it that I am not attracted to. Victoria on the other hand is right down my alley... too bad I'd need to make a small fortune to live there! Everything in Victoria is only ten minutes away and you can catch trout reliably within a fifteen minute drive of downtown. The trout pic I posted was just that kind of drive.

However I've chosen the country life where land is cheap and the neighbours few... ehhe Every time we go on a car trip somewhere and camp, it's a bit of a joke in the family that camping at home is much wilder than anywhere we have camped to date.. save maybe Glacier National Park in B.C.
http://www.bcadventure.com/adventure...ks/glacier.htm

Cheers! Ian.

Old 03-03-04, 10:35 PM

I envy you Canadians. I miss Idaho sooo much! There isn't a trout stream within four hundred miles of me here. Supposedly there are Pike in the resevoir a few miles up the road, but I've yet to hook one, and even the catfish and b*** I do hook are teeny and disappointing and don't even fight much. Catfish are not much for catch and release either because they are so placid that if you don't jerk the line to set the hook at every little twinge of the rod, they swallow the whole rig. Then it's cut the line, or kill 'em. Needless to say, I cut the line. Gets expensive so I just don't fish much anymore, besides catching the occasional snapping turtle can be a bit too much of an adventure even for me. Small ones are kind of cool, but the bigger ones... Well, they are just plain tempermental and I always feel obligated to free them, and well, I like my fingers. Nope, I miss trout and steelhead. I saw a Mepps black fury lure in the bait shop the other day on base. Rotten lure for these parts. Too small for most of the fish here. Great trout lure though. High contrast, black and yellow spinner. They eat 'em up! Always caught my limit with one of those.

I spoke to my oldest boy about that 5K tonight. He said he like to go, if he can bring his friend Robert. It's a military sponsored event and family only. Fortunately Robert's dad is Army, so he gets to play too! YAY! This also means if they decide they would rather screw off and walk I am free to try to give a good account of myself. :-). I am not taking it too seriously. I have enough time to get into decent shape training, but not enough to really get into competetive shape with my short legs. If I really push it I might be able to maintain an 8 or 9 mile an hour pace. I used to be able to out do that pretty easily, but... Well, 18 I'm not. Nor am I anywhere near as lean as I used to be.

Ian, you asked if I enjoyed weight training. I do, when I am fully back into the routine. It is quite painful getting there though. I don't main sore muscles either. For some reason, it takes more out of me than running ever did. I find that a good full workout on the weights circuit makes me quite sick to my stomach. It usually takes several weeks to get that out of my system. Running has never done this to me. My weight tends to remain stable, and then slowly climb as my body adapts to the workload. VERY SLOWLY. If I stop, I lose about five pounds a week on the adderall. That's while I am running, at the present rate of course. My plan is to Bring my run up to 8 miles a day with maybe a weekly ten mile run and possibly breaking up the daily grind with some shorter duration interval training for speed. When I get my weight down under two hundred again I will begin weight training in earnest again, low weight high reps in an effort to get as lean as possible. Then I will bring my calorie intake up a little, the weight progressively up, and my run distance down, until I am running no more than a half an hour five days a week.

That should put me where I want to be. I still need to quite smoking. :-( The very thought makes me sad... Of course, the idea of dying makes me even more sad. The world needs me! Maybe...

I'll bet you ate those fish didn't you! Rub it in why don't you!
Old 03-04-04, 03:15 PM

garlic, lemons, and butter.. ehhe

E-boy et all.
If there are lurkers.. please join us whenever.

If you are ever up into south western Saskatchewan, there is a park there that is my favourite place on the planet so far. Roughing it is best so bring a tent and find a quiet spot in the west end of this place and tie a few flies before breakfast.
http://www.se.gov.sk.ca/saskparks/pa...ypress%20Hills

There are areas that are quite developed but the west end isn't. Throughout the surrounding areas you will find joy.

There is a Ducks Unlimited project seven or eight miles from here that was brimming with pike until last winter. We were short of snow and it froze the shallow body of water to the point that the fish couldn't make it through the winter. The shores were rank with tens of thousands of pike in the spring. We had a bad winter kill that year in our river too. The Ducks Unlimited site yielded firm white fleshed clean tasting pike so I hope it recovers soon.

My brother introduced me to a technique to fillet jack (pike) boneless. I'll tell you right now that everyone thought that was just the ticket! The day we were out had us eating kilo after kilo of absolutely boneless tasty jack fillets.. what a treat. Reminded me a bit of salmon in it's texture.

Sheesh! You guys are going to have me motivated to fish too... my brother's will be wondering what the hell is going on. ehhe Feels great to be alive just now.

The run with your son sounds like a great first step. Again, your tone sounds right on! It would be nice to see some instant gratification but I expect that the results will be positive regardless of the time frame.

Cheers! Ian.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg calendar325.jpg (10.5 KB, 32 views)

Old 03-04-04, 03:39 PM

Ian,

Wow, That was one positive post! Great to see that! It was especially nice to see positive feedback on my attempts at establishing some kind of link with my sons. When they were younger we were much closer. I am sort of naturally on the same wavelength as small children. So was my father though he would be loathe to admit it. My stepsons, of course, did not inherit ADD, and my youngest, who through no fault of his own ;-) happens to share my genetic heritage, did not share in the ADHD aspects of it. So, while he and I are eye to eye on everything from cartoons to games to... well everything, it won't last long. My two older sons have some interests that dove tail with mine, but not many. They both love math on the acedemic side. I could do without it, electronics tech or not. Neither of them cares for science. I live for the stuff. They get good grades, but neither reads for recreation, which I try to sell them on every chance I get to their great dismay. They do like soccer, but they prefer hockey. I can't skate to save my life. I have more or less given up on video games, though I am really not sure why. I was quite good at them, I just sort of, pushed them away for some reason. Maybe so I wouldn't compete with the kids for time on the game console.

It seems these days that the older boys see me as primarily a guy to ask homework questions of, ask about the occasional odd factoid (they know I have a propensity for trivia), the guy who takes them to the mall, and the all purpose electronic/bike/whatever else is broken repair man.

With the little guy interfacing is easy. With the older ones it is a challenge that often involves attempting to involve myself in activities I have no interest, skill, or knowledge of. Wanting to establish a rapport with my sons, gives me the interest, but these experiments usually fail as teenage boys are easily embarrassed by father's who stink at *fill in activity here* in front of their friends. Add to this that the easy fun with the five year old in front of them brings accusations of favoritism faster than I can even say the word favoritism and with a blended family that's a big deal.

So, I was very happy when Christopher agreed to go. This mean's it's even odds my 12 year old Brian will go as well. They didn't have much patience for fishing, so maybe this more energy intensive activity will be a bigger success.
Old 03-04-04, 09:43 PM

Sounds great E-boy. It sounds like you raelly work at trying to understand your kids and not just put up with them. That is a rareity. I am sorry I am not much of a fisherman so I cannot discuss it with much authority. I think the running plan is very good. e-boy did you run at that pace while you were smoking or was that before you started. That is a nice pace. I am hoping to ride a couple of 100 mile rides this summer.
take care both of you
Old 03-05-04, 12:15 AM

Well, for three and a half miles that pace is probably more wishful thinking than reality. 7 miles an hour to 8 tops. I could crank 10 for a good solid two miles when I was in my early 20's without too much heartache, but I really don't know what my top end is now as I'm not in that kind of shape anymore. I doubt it's that fast. Now I can hold that 7 as a smoker. :-) In fact the post run smoke is a great motivator. ;-)