ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 09-02-06, 09:45 PM
Contributor

Chris2 has disabled reputation
Inattentive males

Well I talked to my dad about what I was like back in elementary school and what took place when I as moved to smaller class. So after 1st grade there was a meeting, were the school psychologist told my parents I had “non hyperactive ADD” which is now known as inattentive ADD. So on the my question, how rare is it that guys have inattentive ADD? Do all inattentives have it from childhood?

All articles I have seen always have a footnote somewhere that say “rare in males” or “mostly in girls”.

Also how bad is your energy drain from it, mine is moderate but can get pretty bad. Should this be considered depression or is it directly related to ADD. Note I have no sad feeling, that a depressed person would have.
Old 09-02-06, 10:19 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Inattentive males are not that rare. I would most likely recieve that diagnosis, along with a diagnosis of an LD if I ever got it done. I guess a $1000 is holding me back.

Dr. Russell Barkley talks exstensivly about it during his san fran 2000 lecture ->http://www.schwablearning.org/Articles.asp?r=54 and we don't know a heck of a lot more since then.

Energy drain seems to be one of my biggest weaknesses. That is something that is hard to accomodate for. I'll be trying stims in the fall to see if that can help. Right now I have two extra large coffees in the morning.

When you see a lot of kids with inattentive ADHD they often have a spacey or some what stunned looked to them. Personally I don't think it has much to do with Depression, if anything at all. You can become depressed because life is so much harder but I don't think you start out that way. People with Depression usually can remember early in their life, some dark cloud like moment. Doesn't Barkley mention that onset comes on a little later for the inattentive ADHDers? Personally, I was a happy kid, as was my daughter who has a diagnosis of inattentive ADHD.

Interesting choice of Spock of your pic. I feel like Spock sometimes...my emotions can be like pop without the fizz.
Old 09-04-06, 04:25 PM
Contributor

Chris2 has disabled reputation
Yes I have always been very "spacey", basically I have always been able to make what ever I might need, with my imagination. It’s really a terrible thing and causes tons of problems. I think it is this allot do blame for the energy drain, because it requires so much menial energy to create these things. But my brain never seems to have a problem making them no matter how tired it might be. I have been attempting to police it, but some how it just seems to walk around me. I will be there thinking, I need to keep my mind clear and 30 seconds later wile I am still telling myself that, I am in the next daydream. And I just think WTF!!!!!
ResilientFighter (07-12-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-06, 08:50 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
I think "pure" inattentives are pretty rare. Most people are diagnosed combined to various degrees. Im purely inattentive and have treatment resistant dysthymia (low to moderate permanent depression). This leads to me being fatigued, unproductive, constantly hyperfocusing and not very functional. While the ADD is a problem the dysthymia is really what screws me over, its not like normal depression where you can recognize when you're depressed or not its much more subtle but just as dangerous. It slowly erodes your reality and makes everything rather bleak and seem pointless, alot of dysthymics go their entire life without knowing whats wrong with them untill they're at the breaking point of killing themselves or doing something equally destructive.

Quote:
Dysthymia (pronounced "Dis-THIGH-me-uh" ) or dysthymic disorder is a form of the mood disorder of depression characterized by a lack of enjoyment/pleasure in life that continues for at least two years. It differs from clinical depression in the severity of the symptoms. Dysthymia can, though not always, prevent a person from functioning, affecting sleep pattern and daily activities, it prevents full enjoyment of life.

Dysthymia may seem a paradoxical disorder in that sufferers exhibit fairly mild symptoms on a day-to-day basis, however, over a life time it can have severe effects: high rates of suicide, work impairment, and social isolation. Dysthymia typically lasts much longer than an episode of major depression, and outsiders often perceive dysthymic individuals as dour and humorless. When a major depressive episode occurs on top of dysthymia, clinicians may refer to the resultant condition as double depression.
http://www.allaboutdepression.com/dia_04.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dysthymia
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to D.B. Cooper For This Useful Post:
djax0n (09-23-09), PaulyD (12-04-08), Riff Raff (07-14-09), samyama (09-01-09)
Old 09-07-06, 10:54 PM

secularist is on a distinguished road
I'm technically combined-type, but far and away mostly inattentive...for sure I've been this way since I was a kid. like all, I wish I'd figured it out before I was 36.

I'd guess that most are males from what I've seen...but my experience isn't exactly a research study.

used to take Wellbutrin (that I miss) and Adderall (that I don't)
Old 09-08-06, 12:22 AM

jonnyg1 is on a distinguished road
I haven't been properly diagnosed but I deffinatly fit the inattentive type. I am either just naturally inattentive, or have mild ADD with hyperactivity that has been made way worse from years of too much TV and computers.

My ADD set in around age 9 and my schooling took a huge turn for the worse. I have also spent most of my life unhappy or depressed. The only times I'm hyperactive is when I'm caught up in something that really interests my and thats not too often. It seems like most of my life when people were actually doing things I was just sitting there daydreaming of what could be rather than trying to make it happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jonnyg1 For This Useful Post:
Riff Raff (07-14-09), wetchicken (06-13-08)
Old 09-08-06, 04:23 AM
Contributor

ADDitives is on a distinguished road
i nkow at least 4 inattentive males - and that's just the ones i can think of and know about

its like somebody choking to death, and you asking them "will you please die a little more quietly, im trying to read".

its the same principle.
not that we're dying;
but its just not right.
Old 09-09-06, 08:36 AM

ForTheDuration has disabled reputation
Life During ADD

This is another 'inattentive' 'dysthymic' male logging in. I'm glad that I made one of my infrequent drop-ins to this forum site and entered 'inattentive' in the search field.

I'm relatively new to this forum but not to the subject of ADD. I was diagnosed as being possibly ADD going on 8 years ago -- only after having been treated for years for depression, without noticeable success. We're talking your basic dysthymia -- 'maintenance' depression -- with the periodic lapse into full clinical depression. After having worked through the list of antidepressants on the market at often hospital dosage levels -- as a rule I have a high tolerance to almost any medication given to me -- I finally came across a clinician that was willing to say "Ya know there something wrong with this picture, maybe there is more to your story than this stubbornly persistant depression." I was 35 or 36 at this time. I had spent most of my twenties out of the labor market and on SSI -- the 'psycho dole'.

What is motivating me to break my silence is the urge to reach out to my fellow brothers -- and sisters -- of what I consider to be the 'ADD Underground'.( 'D.B. Cooper' your handle is so appropriate -- I wish I had thought of it first.
) I hate to be the one that breaks this sad fact to the newly diagnosed: if you are considered 'primarily inattentive' you are going to find that you are a minority within a minority.

You are going to find that much that is written -- with a few notable exceptions such as Dr. Thomas Brown and Sari Solden -- is primarily for the 'with hyperactivity' crowd. Driven To Distraction? Please... What I find maddening amid this output are the the 'success stories' that are trotted out. If the individual in question is described as a 'high powered entrepreneur' then they are undoubtedly a specimen of the hyperactive breed and their story is of little bloody use to this 'slacker'.

Frankly if it wasn't for the fact that I do find stimulants therapeutic I would be happy happy to drop this confusing label. But since it's a matter of 'no label,no meds' I will continue to identify myself as being 'ADD'. It's a 'flag of convenience' let's say. So it's in the 'ADD Underground' that you will find me ... and us. And yes, we ARE everywhere.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to ForTheDuration For This Useful Post:
ADXP (12-02-08), cheezey (06-24-08), Dciv (09-14-08), larkin (11-04-08), ResilientFighter (07-12-08), Riff Raff (06-23-09), samyama (09-01-09), Tyboulder (12-04-08)
Old 09-09-06, 04:33 PM

This is a personal theory of mine...may I suggest that pure inattentives (SCT's) are no more depressed then the general population....in childhood. I was a perfectly happy kid until school. This leads me to wonder if much of this low grade depression is more due to our difficult interactions with society. Inattentive ADHD males in particular stand out as different from our sex. We can't play the dittzy blonde roll. At best we can be the "stoner" or something like that.
Riff Raff (07-14-09), samyama (09-01-09)
Old 09-09-06, 04:37 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheDuration

What I find maddening amid this output are the the 'success stories' that are trotted out. If the individual in question is described as a 'high powered entrepreneur' then they are undoubtedly a specimen of the hyperactive breed and their story is of little bloody use to this 'slacker'.
I agree. It's rather frustrating. Seeing a success story from a few inattentives would be a nice boost.

I've had an on/off problem with my energy levels (I feel tired and have a low amount of energy at times) for awhile and didn't connect it to my inattentive ADD until the past month or so when I started noticing posts from other inattentives about it.

It'd be nice if there was more info on it out there in comparison with ADHD.

What's helped with my energy levels is exercise. If I stay off my program for more than a few days I feel a lot worse.

"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

-- The Doctor, "Dr. Who: The Face of Evil (1977)

The Following User Says Thank You to Crackerjack For This Useful Post:
ResilientFighter (07-12-08)
Old 09-09-06, 06:06 PM

SDspedTEACHER is on a distinguished road
I definately have inattentive type, as no matter how much sleep I get and how much I try to eat right; I never seem to have enough mental energy. When I am "forced" to do the lawn, wash the car, do house chores I muster up enough "phsyical" energy but mentally I feel as if in a daze while I'm doing it. It takes me two to three times as long as it should to accomplish these things.

There are times when I have the mental energy that feels "normal" but this lasts only for a day or so; and I get depressed because I know it wont last. It's like yes this is how I'm suppose to feel and yet I know something bad is going to happen and knock me right back down.

Other days I feel too much energy and my mind just races -yet goes nowhere! I have been like this for years, but my parents continued to tell me "well everyone is like that." I believed them for years...35 of them to be exact. Recently I broke down and went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as ADD. When I told my parents about it; they still deny it and say the doctor doesn't know me well enough.
Old 09-09-06, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerjack

It'd be nice if there was more info on it out there in comparison with ADHD.

This is personal opinion...but I think pure inattentive types(SCT) are sensitive and perceptive. I believe that we work well in the nurturing field and working with kids. I'd guess we also have a large population in the arts. We have personal insight into anxiety, failure, and what it's like to be out of the mainstream. We also can spend a great deal of time doing things that mean something to us. Personally, I'll spend a lot of time researching or trying to figure out why a student is having problems.

I don't want to blow my horn but I would say that I am a successful Special Education teacher and that my teacher peers respect the work I do. Personally, I can honestly say that I can turn peoples lives around on a weekly basis. How many people can say that? The misunderstood simply need someone to understand them and a helping hand. After that, they can sometimes go on their own steam. This field is very rewarding.
ArtfulDodger (09-14-08), phEight (07-20-09), Riff Raff (07-14-09), samyama (09-01-09), willinabox (06-16-09)
Old 09-09-06, 08:20 PM

WOW, I think I could have wrote those exact words. It certainly fits me to a T....every word!
Old 09-09-06, 08:24 PM

Yes, we need more ADHD Spec ed teachers. I know of Hyperactive ADHDer who is an excellent Psychologist. It almost killed me to become a teacher but now that I am one, I woudn't have it any other way. One thing we get right away, is that a lot of what you see ( behaviour ) isn't willful disrespect, learned behaviour, or poor parenting. Norms have a hard time swallowing that concept. The other thing inattentive/ adhd trait that I believe is native to my personality, is a strong sense of right and wrong. Not only do I have it, but I act on it...sometimes to the point that I annoy others and step on toes. (but you guys knew that already ) On the other hand, one board supervisor told me that was one of my best qualities as a Spec Ed teacher. Norms don't stick their necks out as often.

Finally, we are reflective. My wife sometimes literally thinks with her mouth. The thought is not processed until the jaw moves. We would never think like that. We step back and mull it over..we have a global viewpoint. We think big picture. Again...this is all opinion.
dzab5599 (03-07-09), Riff Raff (07-14-09)
Old 09-09-06, 10:30 PM

I lost my first teaching job, for the exact things you are discussing...I wasn't afraid to stick my neck out! I became the "not a team player" guy, because I didn't fall in line like the rest of the teachers.

Now I'm at a school, where indpendent thinking is looked up to. Where it is actually thought of a positive trait; as long as their is research based.

I'm too reflective; often mulling over every word I say, and then mulling it over after it was said.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SDspedTEACHER For This Useful Post:
Cowboy (01-16-09), Young Silk (12-24-08)