ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 09-09-06, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

scuro has disabled reputation
Yes! Another trait we share. We both know failure that would scare away norms but have picked ourselves up off of the ground. I got fired from about the first 4 jobs I had. Failed my first two teaching rounds and was a supply teacher for about 7 years before getting a job. Not to say all has been a bed of roses since then. But it gets better each year. Lasy year was pretty good. I think pure inattentive types have much longer developmental curve. I'd guess that full emotional maturity has come to me in 40's. :foot:

I too can mull over every word that I say....especially in print. I often "time out" on ADDF when I think of multiple revisions while reading my post.
Old 09-10-06, 04:48 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

D.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura aboutD.B. Cooper has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheDuration
Frankly if it wasn't for the fact that I do find stimulants therapeutic I would be happy happy to drop this confusing label. But since it's a matter of 'no label,no meds' I will continue to identify myself as being 'ADD'. It's a 'flag of convenience' let's say. So it's in the 'ADD Underground' that you will find me ... and us. And yes, we ARE everywhere.
You're correct i have nothing in common with 99% of adders(and especially adhd). Its not even close to the same thing and yet were lumped in together.
Old 09-10-06, 09:58 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Crackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the roughCrackerjack is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
I don't want to blow my horn but I would say that I am a successful Special Education teacher and that my teacher peers respect the work I do. Personally, I can honestly say that I can turn peoples lives around on a weekly basis. How many people can say that? The misunderstood simply need someone to understand them and a helping hand. After that, they can sometimes go on their own steam. This field is very rewarding.
Congrats! That's nice to hear you're able to make an impact like that.

What I was refering to in my lack of inattentive ADD success story comment was most articles I've read about a successful ADHDer talks about how they've got boundless energy, can sleep for 4-5 hours at a time and still function perfectly (I wish!), and multitask with no problems - even in a chaotic environment.

I haven't seen many stories of the opposite and most generalizations of ADD don't fit what I or some of the others have chimed in here have.

I agree with your sensitive/perceptive/reflective comment, as well as the strong sense of right/wrong. I also have to cut down on my reflection time too.
"You know, the very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. They don't alter their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views. Which can be uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering."

-- The Doctor, "Dr. Who: The Face of Evil (1977)

Sponsored Links
Old 11-04-06, 11:54 AM

sterlingag is on a distinguished road
Wanted to share this article with everyone on the thread:

http://www.adda-sr.org/reading/Artic...nattentive.htm

It fits me very well. I'm sure that you all will see yourselves being described in it to.

Diagnosed AD/HD Inattentive 1 month ago, searching for solutions.

Cheers!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sterlingag For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (01-28-09), samyama (09-01-09)
Old 11-04-06, 12:04 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

speedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud ofspeedo has much to be proud of
For a time I was on tenex only for ADHD. The effect it had was to shut off my hyperness, but it did nothing for my attention.

I was so scattered, but without my usual hyperness, I felt like a slug. It ocurred to me that what I experienced was probably a lot like inattentive adhd. Without my hyperness to keep me busy, I was SO aware of my attention problems. It was a bit of a revelation...

Me
"Sig personnas illegitum non carborundum." (unknown)
The computer lets you make more mistakes faster, with the exception of tequila and a handgun. (M. Radcliffe)
Old 11-05-06, 12:36 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

UnleashTheHound will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris2
All articles I have seen always have a footnote somewhere that say “rare in males” or “mostly in girls”.
I think inattentive ADHD is often overlooked. The hyperactive ones always called attention to themselves. After awhile, people noticed girls had ADHD too, but usually a non-hyperactive form, it was just that nobody noticed. The next wave could be that they discover that inattentive's more common in boys than they originally thought.

In a way, footnotes like the one you list become sort of self-fufilling. Because a doctor reads that it's rare in boys, he's less likely to diagnose you with it.

Quote:
Also how bad is your energy drain from it, mine is moderate but can get pretty bad. Should this be considered depression or is it directly related to ADD. Note I have no sad feeling, that a depressed person would have.
I think depression can have a 'blah' feeling with lack of motivation, not necessarily sad.

I have pretty good energy, though it fluxuates. It's affected by many things- season, sleep, diet, temperature
Old 11-05-06, 01:01 AM

62vetteefp is on a distinguished road
It's Data, not Spock
Old 11-05-06, 03:45 AM

AZ_Eric is on a distinguished road
I was diagnosed as Inattentive ADHD and dysthymia. going by diagnostic critira I am probably 99% inattentive. I was a very happy but spacey child up to Jr High school when thing started going down hill. I agree that social issues contribute greatly to the depression. You can get knocked down only so many times before it becomes very difficult to pick yourself back up.

Anyone else here wish there was an Inattentive sub-form?
Old 11-05-06, 11:59 AM

sterlingag is on a distinguished road
I'll put my vote in for a Inattentive sub-forum.

It woudl be nice to have one place to go on the forum to connect with people experiencing similar issues, successes and challenges.
Old 11-06-06, 10:56 PM

secularist is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlingag
I'll put my vote in for a Inattentive sub-forum.

It woudl be nice to have one place to go on the forum to connect with people experiencing similar issues, successes and challenges.
ditto.

used to take Wellbutrin (that I miss) and Adderall (that I don't)
Old 11-07-06, 05:32 AM
Jr Member

wanderingmind is on a distinguished road
Another vote for a sub-forum!
Old 11-07-06, 08:30 AM
Jr Member

wanderingmind is on a distinguished road
Just a few articles to start off a discussion on a possible new subforum:

Two different disorders?:
http://www.utexas.edu/opa/news/2005/...dInterest=1283

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1474811
Quote:
(d) The working memory deficit in ADD should be detectable by standardized testing if measures such as complex-span and/or divided-attention dichotic-listening tests are used. Examples of several complex-span working memory measures were provided as were reasons why earlier attempts to capture the cognitive deficit in ADD children using standardized measures were unsuccessful.

If anyone has any information about the above mentioned standardized tests, I'd be very interested in reading more about it.
Old 11-09-06, 07:46 PM

Speed Thinker is on a distinguished road
Wow, sometimes im still amazed at how many people there are out there that i can truly identify with. I couldn't agree more with Scuro's interpretation of things. The biggest possible high that i can get is from reaching out to those around me. After being judged and misunderstood for so long, it becomes a personal doctrine to feel things out before any outward action. Scuro, you said something about expecting many of us to be in the arts. Doesn't that seem to be what alot of artist are? They're certainly very sensitive to their surroundings. They then sit back, mull things over, and interperet/ comment on the world around them. It's great to hear that after everything Scuro went through to become a teacher, he wouldn't trade it for anything. You don't know how much that helps this very innattentive premed student.
Old 01-22-07, 03:13 PM

_yep_ is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDspedTEACHER
I definately have inattentive type, as no matter how much sleep I get and how much I try to eat right; I never seem to have enough mental energy. When I am "forced" to do the lawn, wash the car, do house chores I muster up enough "phsyical" energy but mentally I feel as if in a daze while I'm doing it. It takes me two to three times as long as it should to accomplish these things.

There are times when I have the mental energy that feels "normal" but this lasts only for a day or so; and I get depressed because I know it wont last. It's like yes this is how I'm suppose to feel and yet I know something bad is going to happen and knock me right back down.

Other days I feel too much energy and my mind just races -yet goes nowhere! I have been like this for years, but my parents continued to tell me "well everyone is like that." I believed them for years...35 of them to be exact. Recently I broke down and went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as ADD. When I told my parents about it; they still deny it and say the doctor doesn't know me well enough.
yes yes yes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
This is personal opinion...but I think pure inattentive types(SCT) are sensitive and perceptive. I believe that we work well in the nurturing field and working with kids. I'd guess we also have a large population in the arts. We have personal insight into anxiety, failure, and what it's like to be out of the mainstream. We also can spend a great deal of time doing things that mean something to us. Personally, I'll spend a lot of time researching or trying to figure out why a student is having problems.
Finally, we are reflective. My wife sometimes literally thinks with her mouth. The thought is not processed until the jaw moves. We would never think like that. We step back and mull it over..we have a global viewpoint. We think big picture. Again...this is all opinion.
wow...this is me. In fact this whole thread describes me to a T.

Please people, tell me what meds you are on!
The Following User Says Thank You to _yep_ For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (01-28-09)
Old 01-22-07, 06:26 PM

billtruran is on a distinguished road
I always thought of my diagnosis as: non-hyperactive ADD. Anyone who knew me before medication (like my wife of 27 years) would agree. I lived in the moment because I had no good memory of the past, or memory of plans I had made. I have never been depressed, but would occasionally burst out in anger. I tend to be defensive for no good reason (I'm working on that). I am in the process of relearning life, now that I have some peace and a memory.
One more thought... People who truly have ADD need to find careers that involve hands-on, creative talents with leadership possibilities. We have been created for these kinds of jobs. Sorry, truly ADD folk should never be engineers or accountants. The cube is a coffin that just might result in Alzheimer’s.
Hey, it's just a thought....
Bill
The Following User Says Thank You to billtruran For This Useful Post:
larkin (11-04-08)