ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 04-29-07, 09:56 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDspedTEACHER
I definately have inattentive type, as no matter how much sleep I get and how much I try to eat right; I never seem to have enough mental energy. When I am "forced" to do the lawn, wash the car, do house chores I muster up enough "phsyical" energy but mentally I feel as if in a daze while I'm doing it. It takes me two to three times as long as it should to accomplish these things.

There are times when I have the mental energy that feels "normal" but this lasts only for a day or so; and I get depressed because I know it wont last. It's like yes this is how I'm suppose to feel and yet I know something bad is going to happen and knock me right back down.

Other days I feel too much energy and my mind just races -yet goes nowhere! I have been like this for years, but my parents continued to tell me "well everyone is like that." I believed them for years...35 of them to be exact. Recently I broke down and went to a psychiatrist who diagnosed me as ADD. When I told my parents about it; they still deny it and say the doctor doesn't know me well enough.
I never seem to have enough mental energy. When I am "forced" to do the lawn, wash the car, do house chores I muster up enough "phsyical" energy but mentally I feel as if in a daze while I'm doing it. It takes me two to three times as long as it should to accomplish these things.

I'm the same. If I'm forced to do something that is manual I switch off entirely, and find myself daydreaming through the whole job, (as though in a fog), but it's a REAL struggle. If it's a mental thing that requires me to, (for example sort out my financial records), forget it - it won't get done. I'll sit there physically fighting with myself - invariably taking a whole lot longer to try to finish it. However, on the flip side - if it's a mental thing that I WANT to do, it'll take a whole lot less time to finish.

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.

Old 08-24-07, 12:40 PM
ADDvanced Member

jeremynd is on a distinguished road
Everything you people have mentioned in this thread pretty much described me 100%

What meds have been successful for you guys?
Old 09-01-07, 11:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

higgledy will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
inattentive/ adhd trait that I believe is native to my personality, is a strong sense of right and wrong.
I heard/read before this sense of right and wrong is ADHD in general. Are you sugestiong this sense is in even stronger in inattentive types than Hyer-types?
Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-07, 08:56 PM
Jr Member

Remok is on a distinguished road
This is a very interesting thread and somewhat theraputic for me to read as I feel that I can relate to alot which is being said by you guys. I feel that I am very "spacey" and always in a dream world, always playing out senarios in my mind... thinking about what interests me, always off in another world, always thinking about something.
Old 09-26-07, 10:12 PM
ADDvanced Member

SandiRella has disabled reputation
Great observations

What a lovely post...I believe myself to be of the inattentive flavor and I've always been perceptive, sensitive, and intuitive. I've also done my best work when helping others, most recently senior citizens. Thanks for bringing out this fact.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuro
This is personal opinion...but I think pure inattentive types(SCT) are sensitive and perceptive. I believe that we work well in the nurturing field and working with kids. I'd guess we also have a large population in the arts. We have personal insight into anxiety, failure, and what it's like to be out of the mainstream. We also can spend a great deal of time doing things that mean something to us. Personally, I'll spend a lot of time researching or trying to figure out why a student is having problems.

I don't want to blow my horn but I would say that I am a successful Special Education teacher and that my teacher peers respect the work I do. Personally, I can honestly say that I can turn peoples lives around on a weekly basis. How many people can say that? The misunderstood simply need someone to understand them and a helping hand. After that, they can sometimes go on their own steam. This field is very rewarding.

What doesn't kill us should at least make us laugh!---Me
Old 09-26-07, 10:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

SandiRella has disabled reputation
I'm an ADDvanced Member now!

Ha--I had a feeling my 100th post would nudge me upward

I'd like to thank the Academy....

What doesn't kill us should at least make us laugh!---Me
Old 10-01-07, 02:20 AM
ADDvanced Member

Tyboulder will become famous soon enough
Pretty amazing post. So much of what people have talked about describes me well. I wasn't dx'd until I was 26 (better than 46 or 66 I suppose) but it's been kind of tough. Who ever posted:

"Sorry, truly ADD folk should never be engineers or accountants. The cube is a coffin that just might result in Alzheimer’s."

spoke my thoughts exactly. I went through school and got my master's in accounting. The 5 years (and 5 jobs) after college have been so bad. I think a lot of my depression is rooted in my "failures" and watching my close friends (many of them accountant too) become successful while I've done nothing but struggle so hard in the confines of cubes.

I think ADD-I is such an odd "personality trait" / disorder because it is so hard to detect. School was hell because of my legendary procrastination, but I never saw my difficulties as attributable to anything with a name. I'm trying to change careers right now but it's so overwhelming. Three or four years ago a friend of mine gave me the nickname Yellow Dog (after the dog in the movie Funny Farm) who's so mellow that Chevy Chase has to lift his tail out of the fire for him while he's laying in front of it. It makes me laugh now but at the time I didn't get the joke. It's so odd to me that people think I have a slacker / stoner attitude when in my head I'm constantly hyper-aware, anxietized, or caught in some deep philosophical self-debate. I've never been able to just lay down and "go to bed" like everyone else. I have to stay up until I'm so physically worn out (or take enough rx drugs) that I'll pass out. It's been like that since I was young. Sorry to ramble, love this thread though.
Old 10-01-07, 10:21 PM
Jr Member

Korz is on a distinguished road
I was diagnosed 4 years ago. I have both types inattentive and hyperactive.
Old 10-03-07, 05:12 PM
Jr Member

BoredADD is on a distinguished road
Lazy male

Yes, ADD-I and feel very different from the Hyper aspects of ADD. So much so that I really stuggle to see they are the same disorder because fundamentally issues of low energy, low motivation, boredom contrast so strongly with hyper issues of impulsivity and restlessness.

Don't daydream so much but fill my head with hyper-focussed information, books, net, games, TV (stimulating life-affirming stuff like Boston Legal and Wonderfalls!). Love to be with people but rarely bother, have great ambition and ideas for work but know I will only put the effort in for so long.

Can't see the future or my past so am always in the moment, great in theory awful in practice as you can't manage life this way. Struggling with doc at the moment getting right meds without him thinking I am a "druggie". Hard work.
The Following User Says Thank You to BoredADD For This Useful Post:
nomADD (09-13-08)
Old 12-13-07, 02:33 PM
Contributor

dyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nicedyingInside is just really nice
Re: Inattentive males

Hello, it looks like this thread is more than a year old. Forgive me for taking a moment to tell my boring story.

I am an inattentive in my mid-thirties and comorbid with bipolar. Looking back, I believe the first signs of this disorder appeared in 3rd grade. I started having trouble in math, especially division and subtraction. I also struggled in sports, being clumsy and small. I started being bullied just about every day, and I usually got punished for being bullied instead of the bullies. They said that I caused it somehow, I must have done something to provoke those good kids (why are bullies' parents almost always "upstanding members of the community"?). I believe that the bullying was because I was small-statured with thick glasses and therefore an easy target.

In middle school, pre-Algebra was a disaster. I could never complete my homework assignments. The more I tried to focus and understand the textbooks, the more intrusive thoughts started tugging on my mind, and then I would become sleepy. There was even more bullying, I started wishing that I didn't have to go to school. I couldn't seem to control my daydreaming and spacing out. I began to think about science fiction a lot as a means of escape from reality. My high point was being in the 4-H marine biology club and spending weekends at St. Marks, Florida, catching fish and invertebrates. I even won a junior state championship in marine zoology. Also, I went to Tae Kwon Do in the afternoon and even earned a recommendation black belt (without the degree). I quit after a public demo where I was asked to do an elbow break (that I hadn't practiced) and failed in front of 1000 people. Around this time my parents had started the process of getting a divorce and that affected me very badly.

In 9th grade discovered heavy metal music as a kind of therapy for all the feelings I had. Somehow when I took algebra the second time in summer school (after failing it) I made a 98%, the last great success I had in math. I did my work, in-class, while listening to Anthrax and Metallica. This was in the era of cassette tapes, before schools started banning walkmans.
At 15-16 I dropped out of high school, they said I had "Chronic Fatigue Syndrome" or the "Epstein-Barr virus". I would sleep 10 or 12 hours a day. Coming home from school I dropped on the floor and slept on the carpet, drooling, till my mother got home.

I felt a little better after a year or so, and went back to school. By this time I was already heavily addicted to caffeine and had started using alcohol as a means to drown out the depression, anger, rejection (especially be females) and hate that I felt. I didn't want to hurt people, I just wanted to stop feeling hurt.
I spent my last 2 years at an alternative high school, failing physics and geometry but doing very well in biology and environmental science. People said I was a "creative" and "artsy" type.

I was diagnosed BPMD at age 17 after an episode involving a "breakup" with a girl. I got the ADD diagnosis around age 30 after taking more than a decade to earn a BA, being kicked out of biology for failing algebra, trig, and precalc about 5 or 6 times (and getting married and divorced).
My dream of getting into the natural sciences was crushed, because I had great difficulties in math. I did graduate with a double major in Anthropology and Humanities, clueless as to where to go. I worked for more than a decade as a computer operator, one of the most boring jobs anybody could have.

I guess I don't have much hope for the future. It's isolating having this condition, it seems like there are so few of us, and when you say "ADHD" people think of someone with all this energy which I don't have. If you try to explain inattentive to them, many people think you are faking it or making it up. On top of everything else I'm a non-christian and I don't like football, so I really do feel like an alien around here. My greatest concern is that I can't seem to find the kind of work that I am both good at and enjoy. I couldn't make it as a rock star because I can't get along and have trouble networking. I'm good at sculpture, but that's not a stable source of income. I do know that I don't want to work in the computer field again.

I have been working on becoming a science teacher. I even got certified, but haven't found a job. I'm unsure of whether I can function in the traditional authority-driven school administration. If they learn about my condition, I'm afraid that they would look for an excuse to fire me. Teachers are put under too much pressure these days. If I could help others like myself, maybe it would be worth it... but staying organized is a challenge. I'm wondering if I shouldn't work in construction or agriculture instead.
Anyway that was too much rambling for one post.

I agree with the part about having a strong sense of right and wrong. Maybe that comes from having been bullied and harassed so much. I guess that's why I've never been a cheater, even when things got stressful or boring. I've been told that I'm too "black and white" at times. It's amazing how many things sound familiar here.

*edit*
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, the worst symptoms to me (besides math problems) are procrastination, forgetting household tasks, and taking 2-3 hours to wake up in the AM.

"Happiness is the note of a bagpipe."

-Nietzsche
Old 01-09-08, 08:45 PM
Jr Member

bahhhh is on a distinguished road
Re: Lazy male

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoredADD View Post
Yes, ADD-I and feel very different from the Hyper aspects of ADD. So much so that I really stuggle to see they are the same disorder because fundamentally issues of low energy, low motivation, boredom contrast so strongly with hyper issues of impulsivity and restlessness.

Don't daydream so much but fill my head with hyper-focussed information, books, net, games, TV (stimulating life-affirming stuff like Boston Legal and Wonderfalls!). Love to be with people but rarely bother, have great ambition and ideas for work but know I will only put the effort in for so long.

Can't see the future or my past so am always in the moment, great in theory awful in practice as you can't manage life this way. Struggling with doc at the moment getting right meds without him thinking I am a "druggie". Hard work.
Funny, I was just scanning this page when the "doctor makes me feel I'm a druggie" caught my attention and I thought: I bet this guy lives in the UK! ...which made me scroll back...

Funny too, every word in your post describes me 100%. Welcome to the club! ...do you struggle with paperwork too?

Hey you might find this paper interesting, it explains why ADD is neurobiologically and behaviorally distinct disorder from ADHD:
http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/art...?artid=1474811

...many individuals currently diagnosed with the inattentive subtype of ADHD appear to be misdiagnosed. ADD appears to be an instance of childhood-onset “dysexecutive syndrome.” ADD and ADHD are characterized by dissociable cognitive and behavioral profiles, different patterns of comorbidities, different responses to medication, and different underlying neurobiological problems. The core cognitive deficit of ADD is in working memory.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bahhhh For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (01-28-09), nomADD (09-13-08)
Old 01-10-08, 04:46 AM
Jr Member

Kezza is on a distinguished road

Hello

I just wanted to put my 2 cents worth in - I was diagnosed with ADDI last year. This thread is so good; as with allot of you it is spot on for me as well. I am 43 years old and had the "mental energy drain" for many many years, I used to call it "depression" but I was never sad, I just got very grumpy. I cope with it most of the time, but sometimes its too much and all I want to do is disappear, be by myself and regenerate. Ive had the social issues as well, severe anxiety, I loose things 2 seconds after I've had or seen them, forget peoples names, cant watch anything on the box that has alot of movement ie; footy games, I had never read a book cover to cover until last year. With all that said, I would'nt change my past for anything its made me the person I am today.

Even though Ive always had trouble motivating myself I seem to have an uncanny ability to motivate other people by becoming one with them. Sounds strange but that is what it feels like, I think it comes from watching other people to try and understand why they do the things they do.

I was lucky I married a wonderfully motivated person she has been the only thing that has kept me sane, theres no slacking in this house!

Dex has changed my life in so many ways. I am responsive, motivated, able to show emotion, I am able to understand other peoples emotions and I am even starting to remember. One thing I found a little weird in the last 8 months is the urge to to draw pictures - I am very good at it. I always admired good art - now I can produce it. Ive also admired good singers - unfortunately it hasnt helped; the kids still cry when I sing. There is so much more and it is all very good.

Both my kids - (boys) have been diagnosed with ADDI they are going to be able to do so much more than I ever did. As ADDERS who understand what the facts behind the tag are they will have the best of both worlds. (and it will be so much better than normal non ADD afflicted people.)

Anyway thats enough of me
Great thread
Kezza

Last edited by Kezza; 01-10-08 at 05:11 AM.. Reason: sounded like bull****
The Following User Says Thank You to Kezza For This Useful Post:
soccerboy (11-13-10)
Old 01-11-08, 02:43 AM

andersoj is on a distinguished road

Just wanted to say that Ive thoroughly enjoyed reading all your stories, I'll share mine once I find the energy.
Old 01-25-08, 01:57 PM

gwit is on a distinguished road

I have this type of ADD my whole life. I was diagnosed at 7 years old. I've never don anything about it basically because my parents didn't belief in meds so much and this was back in the 80's when not too much was known about it like now. For me its always made me have brain fog on a daily basis. Lately I've started to really look into it myself because I'm realizing that my life is slipping into a downward spiral and I got to get it together. For the first time I'm starting to experience depression on a regular basis . I believe its in direct cause from my ADD.
Old 01-25-08, 02:06 PM
Contributor

piglet is just really nicepiglet is just really nicepiglet is just really nicepiglet is just really nice

I think inattentive ADD is underdiagnosed in guys. It's sure not "rare".

I'm an Inattentive woman. All that description seems to fit me. I have had brain fog all my life, and now I'm finally at 46 on Adderall and it helps a lot.

Please don't feel like an oddity being inattentive and male. I have read lots of medical articles, psychology articles, telling How It Is about some topic... anda few years later, it's not like THAT, it's like THIS. THIS is how it is... and you need to step back and view it all through your own experience and judgment.