ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 09-14-08, 12:55 AM

Dciv is on a distinguished road
Re: Inattentive males

Finally I actually feel like I fit in. I almost got to the point of being emotional. Many of the symptoms mentioned on this thread describes me very well. No disrespect to the rest of the folks on these forums but I didn't think I fit anywhere on this forum. Even the symptoms of dythymia fit me well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dciv For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (02-11-09)
Old 09-14-08, 07:33 AM

Can'tregister will become famous soon enough

Hi nomADD ,

You asked about a London based ADHD-I support group . There's nothing specific for ADHD-I as far as I am aware but if you google adult adhd uk there is a sponsored link to a Uk based adult ADHD forum which will provide information about London meetups .

Its interesting that you say that despite being inattentive since childhood ( although some young hyperactive children seem to become just inattentive in childhood rather when a little older ) you don't have the dysthymic low energy . It could be that the low energy is best characterised as dysthymia ( I'm diagnosed with chronic fatigue syndrome and dysthymia just to over egg the pudding ) however I suspect in future that the low energy will be seen as a Adult ADHD symptom and associated with dopamine and/ or noradrenaline problems . Some inattentives seem to specifically benefit from the energising affects of stimulants if the low energy were a low mood problem ( but not sufficent to justify a major depression diagnosis ) then I would have thought they would benefit more from antedepressants .

The Inattentive ADHD subtype sluggish cogntive tempo of children are said to be hypoactive , underaroused ( and who are said to look depressed ) and to benefit from the activating effect of amphetamines .Perhaps some Inattentives as adults become underoused and lethargic rather being mildly depressed .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sluggish_cognitive_tempo
nomADD (09-14-08)
Old 09-14-08, 12:28 PM
ADDvanced Member

ArtfulDodger will become famous soon enough

You can find out about London meetings here: http://www.aadd.org.uk/ . Unfortunately there is nothing specific for inattentives yet - that "minority within a minority" problem again.

I'm glad to come across this thread. I've been a bit puzzled myself by the comments in literature and websites saying ADD-I is "rare in boys" or "usually seen in girls". That doesn't seem to be true at all from what I have seen, though perhaps that observation only applies to children, as I have heard that for many people the hyperactivity disappears as they grow into adulthood, but inattention remains.

I also resonate very strongly with the personal experiences in this thread. My own path through life has been similar - I am intelligent but constantly failed to live up to it despite genuine effort and didn't manage to gain a BA until I was 27. I do agree somewhat with the person who said that it is in some ways a blessing because it forces us to do what we most love to do, simply because we're incapable of focusing on anything else. But finding that thing isn't the whole solution, because many of us struggle to focus even on the thing we're most passionate about (I still have days when I'm incapable of getting anything done even though I love what I do), and it doesn't solve the other problems we face in everyday life from ADD symptoms.

Also, I have the low energy problem and no depression (low-grade or otherwise), so I don't think that is the cause. Given the commonness of it, I think it's probably a symptom of the ADD, but not everyone has every symptom, so perhaps those who don't experience it are simply a bit more fortunate!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArtfulDodger For This Useful Post:
nomADD (09-14-08), Young Silk (12-24-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-18-08, 08:21 AM

AndyK will become famous soon enough

Sign me up as inattentive. I have always been a daydreamer and had to push to maintain my energy levels. I thought it was "just me until a few pressures got on top of me- before long it was bad sleep- dopey in the mornings- continuous drifting of attention at work - heading for a train wreck. The stimulants( dexamphetamine) are amazingl effective.
Old 10-19-08, 03:17 AM

AndyK will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoward783 View Post
My big question is, do you guys think ADD is nothing more than a personality trait that many of us have and simply struggle with because the world around us is designed for the majority who don't have it? What are your thoughts?
No- in short. I see the inattentiveness,fatigue and inability to resolve thoughts as being foreign to me- an unwanted add-on. It stops me doing what I want to do and what I know I should be able to do.

I think inattentiveness is a misleading term as what happens in my case is wandering attention. ( Insufficient attention to get the job done maybe) If I get tired/ stressed or otherwise stressed my attentiveness becomes more deranged. I have experienced marked fluctuations in my inattentiveness over my 40 odd years and stress/ negative self image has always been implicated im my downslides. There have been periods in my life when my inattentiveness has been little more than an endearing quirk and other times when it has been all consuming.

Medication (dexamphetamine/valproate) has detached the unwanted inattentiveness module but I still feel like me. I am still serious,considered, and a little lateral. I still havethe same likes and dislikes. In every other sense I feel my ordinary self. The fluctuation in the inattentiveness and my current freedom from it make me see that it is separate.

Furthermore when I did see it as a part of my character I felt I had no hope. Seeing it as separate is positive and life affirming.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AndyK For This Useful Post:
ArtfulDodger (11-13-08), larkin (11-04-08), mijahe (11-04-08)
Old 11-04-08, 07:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

mijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to beholdmijahe is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyK View Post
No- in short. I see the inattentiveness,fatigue and inability to resolve thoughts as being foreign to me- an unwanted add-on. It stops me doing what I want to do and what I know I should be able to do.
That's pretty much my experience as well. I used to think it was part of my character, and in a way it is. However, thinking about it the other way.... that it's a useless add-on has helped coming to terms with it.

Please ensure you have read the forum guidelines.
Alternatively you can discover the meaning of life.

Old 11-04-08, 04:08 PM
Forum Guru

johnny s. has a spectacular aura aboutjohnny s. has a spectacular aura about

strattera has difinetely helped with my mental energy level...but I still seem to have no choice at all over WHAT I focus on.

my mind drinfts where it wants, when it wants, no matter what I 'want'.
Old 11-15-08, 02:40 AM

amandave will become famous soon enough

There are actually other inattentives out there!

Johnny s. I have been on Straterra since May of 07. I am getting off in December and trying Vyvanse. Straterra helps a bit but if it wasn't for the methylin I would want to sleep all the time. Plus I have had too many side effects with Straterra.
Old 11-15-08, 10:05 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
There are actually other inattentives out there!
You are post #83 on a thread located in "Men with ADD" that is dealing specifically with inattentive males I think it is safe to say there are other inattentive here - try about 50% of the membership.

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Old 11-16-08, 12:59 PM

El Panzon Feo is on a distinguished road

I have to say I am blown away by how many of these stories are exactly the same as what I've gone through in life.....sometimes I have trouble seeing the positives or not looking at this as a disorder as suggested in these books.....Sometimes my work is such a stuggle for me I feel I would be better off doing something else for a living, but what? Is there a ADHD-PI friendly well-paying and interesting career in existance? I doubt it.
The Following User Says Thank You to El Panzon Feo For This Useful Post:
PaulyD (11-18-08)
Old 12-02-08, 08:58 AM
Contributor

ADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really niceADXP is just really nice

[quote=Who Me ?;399153]Good grief !
That's easily the most insightful and descriptive site I've come across.
Wow, is all I can say.
A million thanks, dude.
It accounts for so much of my behaviour - particularly in my early life.

Yes the grateful me. The monumental history of my life. Thanx Brother!
Whoever that author is ; I can lick her /his *** while ****ting!

Holy Conolly. What should we do now dude?
Old 12-18-08, 12:03 PM
Jr Member

Young Silk is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remok View Post
This is a very interesting thread and somewhat theraputic for me to read as I feel that I can relate to alot which is being said by you guys. I feel that I am very "spacey" and always in a dream world, always playing out senarios in my mind... thinking about what interests me, always off in another world, always thinking about something.
This echoes my situation. I actually like to play chess, the playing out of the scenarios is one of my strengths but sometimes I forget one of the more important scenarios and make the wrong move even though I had thought of the importance of not doing it prior. It can be very frustrating. I'm in my mid 30s as well, I just was diagnosed. Its going to be interesting, I'm glad I found this forum.
Old 12-28-08, 06:30 PM

dmaterialized is on a distinguished road

Another inattentive depressive here-- I sometimes just have no energy (in middle school I "manifested" some psychosomatic illness so I didn't have to go to school, and would just sleep for 2-3 days at a time). Dealing with conversations is difficult, because I never "pay attention" when people speak (only when I read things written down). I find myself in a daze a lot, and my depression amped up a ton during my last year of college-- where, despite having a beautiful girlfriend, great classes and a great group of friends, I felt bitter, lonely, and overwhelmed with confusion most every day. I would wake up with an overpowering feeling of inferiority, and it would take all my willpower just to get up, get through it, remind myself of all my blessings and get through the day (where my inattention would usually screw me up all over again). My mind seems sluggish and... inattentive... but I'm very creative and in the right environment (ie. where I get to do whatever I want) I do very well. The problem is that I "miss" most of what's going on if it's not something I enjoy!

I was prescribed Ritalin L-A (the normal-acting didn't do much, felt too "speedy") and found that it worked wonders for my attention, but I felt way too "task-oriented" and de-personalized; things just stopped mattering (good or bad). I also got unbelievably depressed exactly two days after missing a dose, and I just can't go through that (it was unbearable). I'm now trying to find alternative remedies and would really like some feedback as to what works for Inattentive ADD and depression.

I've taken Adderall (not on prescription) and it was INCREDIBLE-- I loved it way too much. My mood, attention, "vibe" were through the roof, so I know this probably isn't very healthy. Still, it felt spectacular-- I felt like who I'v always wanted to be. (Kinda sick, huh?)

Right now I take:

Rhodiola Rosea (seems to have some effect on my energy level)
Omega-3 fish oils (seems I feel "healthier" and my memory seems better)
St. John's Wort (definitely helping with keeping me stable, but only when I take it before bed)
5-HTP (seems to actively make me happier-- definitely successful)
Korean Ginseng (I have never noticed any difference-probably won't get any more)
Ginkgold (definitely helps my short-term memory)
Rosemary (helps my long-term memory)

I'm really curious about nootropics, especially given an earlier post I read on here about piracetam, DMAE, and oxiracetam. Has anyone had luck with them? Thanks so much...
Old 01-09-09, 10:11 PM

inattentiveprof will become famous soon enough

New inattentive here. Just found out about the condition a few days ago and realized I have all the symptoms. My doctor will send me to a professional to talk to. The stories here are very helpful and I'm going to find out as much as I can here about the condition and treatment.

I've just finished a PhD at [a well known American university] and am a postdoctoral researcher now (mathematical economics). During my PhD, I had huge disadvantages - and still have: only thinking about work for a few minutes in the average day, not reading papers or books. I compensated with intuition and mathematical talents. When I read a paper I skim through it, take in a few words, and guess what it's about. And the problems of my psychology were really exacerbated by the lack of deadlines and external pressure in the PhD.

alextai256's success on Wall St hit a chord here: psychologically speaking, I do feel I would thrive in a high pressure environment like investment banking. When I do get going under pressure, I feel great, like I can do everything. I switch on and work ultra fast. Without pressure I spend my time daydreaming, looking up random topics on the internet & in music.

There are a some things I can concentrate on with more intrinsic motivation: music, an interesting discussion, maybe one or two other things. When I was younger I could listen to music for hours with uninterrupted concentration.) Apparently that's allowed for ADHD-I somehow.

Secondary school was better because there was an external structure/regime, and parents who in one way or another were supportive (mum by strictness, dad by helping with subjects that need memorization).

Other symptoms are there too but I don't mind them as much. I don't remember things in the immediate or distant past, or notice them in the present, but that's OK; I normally don't need to. I forget and misplace things but can often compensate: having a huge supply of pens and combs everywhere I frequent so I never have to spend much time looking. I sometimes stand at a traffic light for ages because I am not paying attention when it turns green. But in general I don't mind not noticing the things around me, I actually want to ignore as much as possible apart from the things I want to understand, but the problem is I don't focus on those things either.

Zoning out in conversations is also OK because the absent-minded professor is an accepted phenomenon. Zoning out when talking to professors is more problematic .

Chores are a problem but I try to minimize them. Taxes are the worst. The funny thing is that I can come up with a new theory of the tax system with much less effort and pain that taking the steps necessary to fill in a tax return. But I can pay people to do that for me and household tasks I struggle with: to me it's a "no brainier", comparative advantage and division of labor.

I don't often forget appointments these days because my phone organizes me, but I do turn up late to almost everything, always somehow against my will. I don't seem to feel any pressure until I am late. The same is true in work, where I am like the hare against the tortoise. Sometimes I beat the tortoise, sometimes I lose, but I really wish I could run for the whole race, not just the last moment.

No "co-morbidities". I'm a pretty cheerful person these days. Sometimes I am caught smiling to myself inanely when walking around town... which is rather embarrassing. No anxiety or stress; I wish I had some in fact. Socially I'm considered a bit odd, but fine around academics. I had Hodgkin's Lymphoma a couple of years ago, treated successfully, I became very knowledgeable about all the treatment statistics at the time (the will to live bringing out some sustained focus), but I don't think I have the time and energy to do all that about the ADD condition.

What I really want is to gain the ability to focus enough to do 4 or 5 hours work every day. And to read a book again.

This is a much longer message than I'm used to writing, and unusually easy to do . Thanks for listening and for being a source of information on this board!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to inattentiveprof For This Useful Post:
DCadult-Inatt (01-28-09), larkin (02-12-09), Young Silk (07-04-10)
Old 01-16-09, 10:03 AM
Jr Member

tomtom is on a distinguished road
Re: Life During ADD

Bravo