ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 08-17-09, 08:08 PM
Jr Member

belfort is on a distinguished road
Re: Inattentive males

wow, alot of this thread hits home for me...i have never been diagnosed with adhd-I but i think i have it...i also seem to have the dysthmia symptoms as well, the boredom, low energy, low to no motivation, isolatyion etc etc....im 31 years old and its really battered my life....i work and all but its very hard to maintain relationships and to STAY INTERESTED IN LIFE when you feel like we do...the low energy and the absence of pleasure really hits me hard..the only thing that has ever worked for me is ephedrine, exercise and other drugs....sad to say but pretty girls, money, material things dont help this problem in the least..in fact, they can almost make it worse because when you expect certain things to make tyou happy but still wake up thinking cloudy and tired, its a real depressing situation..

reading this thread feels good BUT the only solution seems to be taking amphetamines....for those that do take amps, do you take it every day??if so, what about the side effects long term???

do people with adhd-I tend to isolate and have very low desire to socialize as well??i do and im not sure if those are symptoms or not..im just sick of living like this
Old 08-20-09, 10:43 PM

Zacker will become famous soon enough

lol.. i read the first two posts and that was it.. too much reading for me. THis is my ADHD "Inattentiveness in full action. its horrible and was with me as far as i can remember, i day dream all the time, esp doing repetitive or boring tasks like driving.i find i can work really well alone, but stick someone in who is a talker and wants to talk while we work? it aggravates me to no end.
Old 08-28-09, 12:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

willwill30 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfort View Post

do people with adhd-I tend to isolate and have very low desire to socialize as well??i do and im not sure if those are symptoms or not..im just sick of living like this
I'm very anti-social. It's sad to say, but I seldom feel like I need to have others around me. I'm perfectly happy being at home right by myself, because with my overactive brain I never really feel bored or alone like most people. The most I enjoy being around friends and family at one time is about an hour, after that I'm ready to be by myself again. I have been like this since I was a kid.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-09, 06:52 AM

Zacker will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by willwill30 View Post
I'm very anti-social. It's sad to say, but I seldom feel like I need to have others around me. I'm perfectly happy being at home right by myself,

Are you single? I ask because after my divorce, i loved living alone, I mean I abso-*******-loutly loved being alone.... then, I decided at one point.. it was time to start dating again and then I started feeling like i NEEDED a girlfriend in my life, like I was incomplete without someone to share all the holidays and little things with.. so i found someone and eventually married her. We get along fine, almost complete opposites, which is good for us as tshe has opened my eyes to alot of things I have never known or considered before. Andyhow, Im not really digging this non-alone thing.. I love her dont get me wrong but, I yearn for my "alone" life again. Believe me, I would never think of divorcing again, esp. because I just miss being alone. But my question is, do you think that the only REAL reason i felt like I needed someone was because thats what society teaches us all our lives? tha we are incomplete without someone to love? I do get my alone time now but its not the same as actually living alone. the only bad part about living alone is if your hurt.. I went through almost three years of a very bad neck injury.. and the first few months were the absloute darkest times of my life.. and no one, not even my family, came to my side to even see if i needed anything.. except for Brian, my ex wifes kid who I practically raised from when he was 2 years old till he was 11 when we divorced.. he satyed with me for two weeks and I cant thank him enough.
Old 08-28-09, 12:37 PM
ADDvanced Member

willwill30 will become famous soon enough

I'm not single, but my significant other works away and is gone for weeks at a time. It works out to where I have a few weeks of my alone time, and then a few weeks of together time. But yeah, no matter how much of a loner you are, you always think about when you will be older and will need help.
Old 09-16-09, 11:15 AM

Mattybizzle91 is on a distinguished road

In my experience, i'd say having "ADHD-PI" or just Inattentive ADHD in Males is pretty rare. If a girl was this type, you wouldn't really jump to the conclusion of a form of ADHD. I'm 18, in Sixth Form, and have a support group for younger children with ADHD. It seems that most children i've met in the school, aged 11 to 17 have ADHD-C, and most of them are Male.

Maybe it's just a coincidence? Who knows. Also, does anyone have experience on Concerta XL medication or could refer a page which discusses it? I'm experiencing really low come down periods when they wear off.

First Post ...
Old 09-23-09, 01:06 PM

Elandruss will become famous soon enough

Well, I don't know how rare Inattentiveness is in males, though I am a fairly textbook example of it. I have a few hyperactive tendancies, particularly the impulsiveness, but the fact that I lack the energy to do anything about it makes it rather moot. I was actually unaware of the different types until several months ago, and always just figured I had ADD, since I hadn't seen anyone about it in years despite being diagnosed nearly six years ago at 14. I only recently looked up the typecality of ADD PI, on wikipedia of all places, which I would normally not trust for this sort of information, had it not hit so perfectly to home:

Quote:
ADHD-PI is different from the other subtypes of ADHD in that it is characterized primarily by inattention, easy distractibility, disorganization, procrastination, forgetfulness, and lethargy (fatigue)
As soon as I read this I knew it was me exactly, and upon bringing it up to my father, he said, Yeah, you didn't know? Haha so go figure. It also says

Quote:
The more intelligent inattentive children may realize on some level that they are somehow different internally from their peers; however, they are unfortunately also likely to accept and internalize the continuous negative feedback, creating a negative self-image that becomes self-reinforcing. If these children progress into adulthood undiagnosed and untreated, their inattentiveness, ongoing frustrations, and poor self-image frequently create numerous and severe problems maintaining healthy relationships, succeeding in postsecondary schooling, or succeeding in the workplace. These problems can compound frustrations and low self-esteem, and will often lead to the development of secondary pathologies including anxiety disorders, mood disorders, and substance abuse.
Throughout my school career, I knew there was something wrong with me. I knew that I should be doing the work, I knew I should be turning assignments in, but I just didn't. I didn't have the energy to focus on them for any real period of time, keep them organized to get them to school, or to remember to do them at all. After a while, this became SEVERLY reinforcing, to the point where I would break down after getting grades back because I knew it was going to happen, and that I had let my parents down. I began to ask myself, "If failing out of school wasn't enough motivation for me to do it, then maybe I just can't." I began to feel like I didn't care about anything, at least nothing that mattered.

It wasn't until very recently that I was mentally able to come to terms with having ADD and realizing that I'm not fundamentally broken, just that my square peg doesn't fit into the round hole of society, so to say. Consequently, I just started taking Adderall, moving from the 2x 10 to the 2x 30 over a few weeks, and I feel amazing. It's like all of those things I wanted to do, but never believed I actually could, have suddently become possible. I delt with the depression for a while, but I had to convince myself that it wasn't a matter of me not being good enough, and realizing that I have valuable skills in things that don't require sustained, mental focus. I can play the guitar for hours on end. I can tell stories that are involving and creative. I can come up with solutions to problems that not many others would come up with.

I keep an index card in my wallet, on which I've written a quote that sums up my feelings on "success".

To laugh often and much;

To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children;

To earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends;

To appreciate beauty, to find the best in others;

To leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition;

To know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived.

This is to have succeeded.
The Following User Says Thank You to Elandruss For This Useful Post:
FarOut (10-03-09)
Old 09-23-09, 07:17 PM

add101 is on a distinguished road

I'm a 28 year old male who was recently diagnosed with ADD. I was having some anxiety issues do some recent medical issues. I have had stomach problems, hearing loss (which is an awful condition for ADD), and sinus infections over the past few years. One trip to a therapist and a quick read of the "6 Types of ADD" was all it took for me to realize I had this problem. I am certainly of the inattentive type, but I have some of the characteristics of the other types as well.

I am a software engineer by profession and I have always done really well solving tough problems and production issues very quickly. Now that I about my condition, I realize it is because I use stress and interest level to drive me to do well in these things. I have never been able to do repetative tasks well; and I hate doing any kind of up front design and thought that requires putting things on paper. I think that software engineering is not necessary a bad field for ADDI because very few people have an understanding of how long a task actually takes to complete. When I am hyperfocused, I can often achieve tasks much quicker than anyone else though.

The biggest area where I feel that my ADDI has let me down is in my social interactions with others. One of my biggest problems is that I am probably often rude to others because the conversation bores me. I have always felt like I had to know some things about someone before I could carry on a conversation with them. It most certainly holds me back at work because a lot of these skills are necessary for management positions, and I shy away from those.

I realize this is getting long-winded, but I am hyperfocused right now =). I started taking Vyvanse about 4 days ago and I was wondering about some others early experiences with the medication. I can tell the difference in my social interactions with others and it is great. I don't concern myself about what others think as much and I have felt a lot of my anxiety just drift away. I am also no longer craving potatoes, carbs, and Coke which is awesome and very different for me.

However, one of the reasons I wanted to take the medication is so I could feel more focused and be more productive. The Vyvanse has had the opposite effect in that regard -- I feel really jittery and cannot really use my problem solving skills. Trying to look at code overwhelms me because my brain is moving too fast -- I've literally got nothing done the past three days. I was told the medication would make me become more focused, but I feel way more focused now because the medication has worn off. I also have a persistent headache, but I believe that is because went cold turkey on caffeine due to the advice of my doctor.

I don't want to give up to quick on the medication, so I was hoping some others could share their experiences early on with the medication and see if their experiences were similar to mine. That would really help me out so I'd have a better idea of what to expect. Thanks for sticking with me.
Old 09-24-09, 05:22 AM

Elandruss will become famous soon enough

Add101, don't worry. ADD is a very versatile condition, occuring in many different ways in many different people. Fortunately, there are choices as far as medication goes, as some will work better than others and have a greater positive effect to negative effect ratio. Don't be afraid to tell your doctor that it's not working, and exactly what it's doing to you. I myself just started a higher dose of Adderall, and am realizing that something as simple as a bump from 20mg to 30mg can make a big difference.

Just remember that you are in charge of what gets put into your body, the doctors can only use their knowledge to make guesses about what would help best in this situation. If I started exhibiting the symptoms you describe, I would be back in the docs office in a week telling him how horrible it was. That being said, be sure to give the medication an honest chance, as things will take time to settle down.

Best of luck in your trials, keep us posted! We'd love to hear someday that you found your personal med/dose plateau!
This is to have succeeded.
Old 10-03-09, 03:12 PM

FarOut is a jewel in the roughFarOut is a jewel in the roughFarOut is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandruss View Post
Throughout my school career, I knew there was something wrong with me. I knew that I should be doing the work, I knew I should be turning assignments in, but I just didn't. I didn't have the energy to focus on them for any real period of time, keep them organized to get them to school, or to remember to do them at all. After a while, this became SEVERLY reinforcing, to the point where I would break down after getting grades back because I knew it was going to happen, and that I had let my parents down. I began to ask myself, "If failing out of school wasn't enough motivation for me to do it, then maybe I just can't." I began to feel like I didn't care about anything, at least nothing that mattered.

It wasn't until very recently that I was mentally able to come to terms with having ADD and realizing that I'm not fundamentally broken, just that my square peg doesn't fit into the round hole of society, so to say. Consequently, I just started taking Adderall, moving from the 2x 10 to the 2x 30 over a few weeks, and I feel amazing. It's like all of those things I wanted to do, but never believed I actually could, have suddently become possible. I delt with the depression for a while, but I had to convince myself that it wasn't a matter of me not being good enough, and realizing that I have valuable skills in things that don't require sustained, mental focus. I can play the guitar for hours on end. I can tell stories that are involving and creative. I can come up with solutions to problems that not many others would come up with.
I can totally relate to this post. You could be talking about my life just aswell Elandruss.

I've been diagnosed with ADHD recently, although my doctor hasn't stated clearly what subtype I am. Personally, I think I am a mixed type, heavily slanted towards inattentiveness and impulsiveness. I used to be a lot more hyper when I was a child.

I too have felt all my life that I'm a square peg fitted to a round hole; Before my diagnosis, I didn't understand what was wrong with me. I am the epitome of underachievement, living life half awake, with my chaotic dreams occasionally interrupted by flashes of clarity and brilliance (relatively speaking).

Others don't understand what I'm unhappy about. I've always done well at school and sport, and at work. Currently I'm studying medicine. But now the conflict between myself and the demands I am facing seem to be too great. My peers are studying hard and regularly. I know I should too, but I can't start or finish. Instead I've succumbed to my most recent favorite dream, and I'm digging material for my fantasies online. Should I concern myself with molecular biochemistry or general pathology, or drown myself in Wikipedia opening dozens of pages of trivia, neatly packaged into ADD-friendly dream-seeds?

I can't say ADD has brought me only misery, though. There seems to be a spark of "genious" hidden within. Due to my life experiences and nearly pathologic introspection I've been left hypersensitive to and aware of other people's feelings. I use my social skills to compensate for my poor working memory. I care about you, just don't ask me to remember your name.

I'm happy that there are people out there who have come to peace with their ADHD. I haven't yet. I've yet to even find proper medication and feel like I'm running with lead boots on. But of course I've only just begun my adhd-conscious journey. And now that I know, I'm more inclined to give myself a break sometimes.