ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 01-06-04, 10:47 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Draga has disabled reputation
Unhappy Does ADD medication cuase Misscarriages?

when I was pregnant the first time....I didn't know I was pregnant and I was still taking ritalin, but once i learned I was I stopped taking the medicine right away. But to no avail I lost my first two months later......ppl blamed that it was the medicine still in me.

Years later again I got pregnant but had stopped taking medicine a month before i was pregnat...still the third month I lost another.

If Meds cause birth defects and miscarriages, if I plan to become pregnant again...how long do I have to stop taking meds before I can get pregnant again? I don't think I can handle being hte cause of another lost innocent child...it would drive me insane.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Old 01-06-04, 11:07 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
The truth is that nobody really knows if what AD/HD medication does to pregnant women. There really hasn't been much research done about it.
Old 01-06-04, 11:16 PM

Well Tara they should....getting pregnat again terrifies me because of the medicationa nd possiblity of losing another one.

Please do not think me cold, for I do want loving arms to hold, but I am so sick of being used and abused...If I die alone tomorrow I die unbruised.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-06-04, 11:19 PM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
It is suggested by most not to take AD/HD medicatioin while pregnant just because they don't know.

Have you read this thread?
http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...s=&threadid=74
Old 01-06-04, 11:31 PM

I can understnad that....I stopped when I found out I was but if you didn't know before hand and were still taking meds there could be possible damage to the bambino. I dunno there is a lot of guilt I have for the two because of the medication. It's not knowing that is the hardest part.

Old 01-06-04, 11:41 PM

There Definelty needs to be more research done about Medication and women.

Patricia Quinn and Kathleen Nadeau are both doing some great work when it comes to Women and AD/HD.
Old 01-07-04, 12:04 AM

Where can I send the thank you cards?

Old 01-07-04, 12:34 AM

If anyone has lost a child to a miscarriage I understand your pain, if u are interested I submitted a poem in the poetry forums that I wrote a long time ago to help me when my miscarriages upset me called To Child To Father To Mother..i hope it gives you comfort as it does for me.

Old 01-12-04, 09:06 AM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
OK first thing's first Melly: YOU did NOT cause the death of your children. You did what you thought right for your child. Have you discussed your fears with your doctor is my next question.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 01-12-04, 09:15 PM

Kinds comlicated for me to talk to my Male doctor about such female problems..but really I think the truth is I am scared he si going to tell me what I dread to here..i have heard it from other doctors but he is a bit more sensitive and knows what he is talking about. Maybe I will talk to him about it in two weeks when I see him. Fear or no fear.

Old 01-12-04, 10:51 PM

mom03 has disabled reputation
The development of major organs begins soooo early... you wouldn't want to be on any meds.... and take your folic acid before you try to get pregnant
Miscarriages are cause my multiple reasons. A friend of a friend lost 2 babies cause her hormones were imbalanced.. she spent over 2 years trying, but once they figured that out and tweaked her.. she's expecting any time if she hasn't already delivered.
Old 01-12-04, 11:25 PM

Congradulation to your friend Ej I know the next time will be a planned pregancy but I will be paranoid for the whole nine months.

Old 01-18-04, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by melanie_cartner
Where can I send the thank you cards?
Actually you contact them through http://www.ncgiadd.org
Old 01-20-04, 04:35 PM

Bless you Tara

Old 01-21-04, 01:07 AM

mrsbusch is on a distinguished road
There aren't many people around, or so I've found, who stay on ADD meds after they become pregnant.

However, I'm one of the few.

I took Adderall XR throughout my first pregnancy and only had complications near the end with pre-eclampsia (Med related? Don't think I'll ever know). My daughter was born 2 1/2 weeks early because of induction-high blood pressure, etc. She is a perfectly healthy baby.

I am now pregnant again (due in less than 2 weeks). This time I am taking Adderall XR along with Straterra and have been taking it since before I became pregnant. Everything has been fine in this pregnancy-except for having high blood pressure. It's not through the roof or anything, but it's been high enough to have my OB pay careful attention to it.

For me the effects of not taking the Adderall would have been a life-changer that I did not feel I could cope with, especially on top of the stress of pregnancy. I think it's probably necessary to mention that I have been taking Adderall for over 8 years now. And also important to say that my doctor, if given the choice wouldn't really want me to be taking these meds while I'm pregnant.

(This is a copy of the message I posted in another area of the boards)