ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 10-20-14, 01:26 AM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all
Re: Gay Men/ADHD

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC-77 View Post
Not to sound ignorant or homophobic but I get the gay/lesbian orientation as my daughter is a lesbian and married a wonderful woman who I adore but I just don't understand the bisexual thing. Do bisexual individuals who like both men and women do they like one or the other more or the same. Sorry if it is dumb question, but I was curious..
For me its a fluid thing. It depends on my mood sometimes as well .
Old 10-20-14, 01:28 AM
Forum ADDvocate

PookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to allPookDo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flory View Post
Correlation and causation are two different things

For example for all those "charming" people that don't vaccinate their children out there
The rise in organic food sales is almost identical to the rise in autism.
Obviously these things are completely unrelated, however it's not uncommon for data to be presented as such and manipulated to show things like this
Flo I love your way of thinking.
Old 09-21-17, 02:58 PM

mikemotorbike is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by At Heart View Post
Hi there Julian,

I live and work in a community that has a very high population of gay/lesbian's. As a matter of fact, two of the psychiatrists that I have worked with are gay (one male, one female). I wonder if they have an knowledge of this, or have read any studies. It certainly would be an interesting question to pose with either of them (they would not be offended). My hunch is that there really is no correlation, but I certainly could be wrong.

At Heart
The (well known writer on the subject) psychiatrist who diagnosed me opined that all gay men have ADD. He is gay himself, fyi.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-28-17, 01:17 PM

wild.onion is on a distinguished road

bi guy, here. if there is a correlation i strongly doubt that it has to do with impulsivity/search for stimulation. we take actions on impulse, but attraction is more of an emotion than an action.

like, it's less "i want to try dating a guy now!" more "wow, that guy is hot!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJC-77 View Post
Do bisexual individuals who like both men and women do they like one or the other more or the same. Sorry if it is dumb question, but I was curious..
it's not a dumb question at all. there's a pretty huge range in how bisexual people experience attraction. lots of us have preferences, lots of us don't. some bi people describe experiencing different "kinds" of crushes on different genders.

some bi people are only sexually or romantically bi. like, "i enjoy sex with both men and women but I only enjoy relationships with men" or "i date both men and women but i prefer sex with women" etc

personally, i feel slightly more attracted to men, but i've still dated/had crushes on women.

also an lgbtq thread would be awesome!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wild.onion For This Useful Post:
aeon (09-28-17), PoppnNSailinMan (09-29-17)
Old 11-19-17, 06:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by julian32 View Post
Just putting this out there: Is anyone aware of any studies that may indicate that ADHD is found more commonly in gay males than heterosexual males?

I'm gay and happily married to my partner, we were married last fall. If anyone else out there on this forum is gay, what are your thoughts on setting up a Gay/Lesbian ADHD thread? (If you're comfortable with it)
I would love to start a gay thread--please let me know
Old 11-19-17, 08:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

allesandro1 has a spectacular aura aboutallesandro1 has a spectacular aura about

I think it would be great to start a thread on gay issues and ADD. Don't know of any studies linking ADD to sexual orientation though
Old 11-19-17, 08:38 PM

Thanked 34,233 Times in 15,486 Posts
peripatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond reputeperipatetic has a reputation beyond repute

moderator note

just popping in to say that anyone would be welcome to start a thread on any number of the ideas contained in this one.

as for there being research linking adhd and homosexuality, i entered both terms into google scholar and a lot of studies came up. i didn't read any of them, but if that's of interest, i would suggest doing that and then posting in the open science thread or in regular science if you have studies to cite.

with posting about issues being gay with adhd presents...that could go in a number of places. the general section or relationships would be the two that come to mind immediately.

point of this post: as a moderator, i just wanted to let everyone know that you can definitely start a thread on the ideas presented in this one and let me or another moderator know if you need help deciding where to put something or don't know how to start threads--we're happy to help
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peripatetic For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (11-19-17), wonderboy (11-19-17)
Old 03-22-18, 06:31 AM

simon1959 is on a distinguished road

Interesting comments folks. I'm a Gay Man but have very few Gay friends. I only have friends I like - Gay or not. Would be good to meet new folk on here.
The Following User Says Thank You to simon1959 For This Useful Post:
PoppnNSailinMan (04-03-18)