ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 02-26-08, 01:41 PM

mechanicalmetal is on a distinguished road
Adderall XR And Sexual Side Effects

Hello,

This is my 8th day taking Adderall XR 20MG. Everything has worked out pretty good despite the jittery, irritability ETC. Theres only one thing that drives me crazy about this medication, I cannot get it up!!! My fiance is getting very frestrated with me and you can only IMAGINE how this feels. I was just wandering if this is only a TEMPORARY side effect and I need to let this medication even out in my body or what???? Like I said this is only my 8th day taking this stuff and the first 3 days I could not keep my erection down!!!! and now its like omg I cant even get it up. Can someone please give me some hope and advise me if they had these side effects and they went away after a week or so????? I am very frestrated and about to dump this bottle.

Thanks so much,

Brandon
Old 02-27-08, 08:29 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all
Re: Adderall XR And Sexual Side Effects

here are a few links in our forums for you to look at about this:

http://www.addforums.com/forums/show...l+Side+Effects

here are links outside that may answer you questions too.

http://www.drugs.com/adderall.html

http://adhd.emedtv.com/adderall/adde...e-effects.html

hope these are helpfull to you. have not had this with adderall, i have with other meds i have been on though so i know the frustration.

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 02-28-08, 02:20 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,432 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Lunaslobo - ya forgot this one -LOL

For guys with erection problems while taking stimulants

I remember it because it got dangerously close to TMI!

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
Sponsored Links
Old 03-02-08, 12:45 AM

lunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to alllunaslobo is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
Lunaslobo - ya forgot this one -LOL

For guys with erection problems while taking stimulants

I remember it because it got dangerously close to TMI!
i see what you mean lol

It Doesn't matter what you've heard
impossible is not a word,
its just a reason not to try.
Old 03-09-08, 09:24 PM

inmostleaf will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalmetal View Post
Hello,

This is my 8th day taking Adderall XR 20MG. Everything has worked out pretty good despite the jittery, irritability ETC. Theres only one thing that drives me crazy about this medication, I cannot get it up!!! My fiance is getting very frestrated with me and you can only IMAGINE how this feels. I was just wandering if this is only a TEMPORARY side effect and I need to let this medication even out in my body or what???? Like I said this is only my 8th day taking this stuff and the first 3 days I could not keep my erection down!!!! and now its like omg I cant even get it up. Can someone please give me some hope and advise me if they had these side effects and they went away after a week or so????? I am very frestrated and about to dump this bottle.

Thanks so much,

Brandon
I've read that if there isn't a true AD/HD problem the excess dopamine/norepinephrine release (from the use of Adderall) causes problems like you are experiencing. However, you could also not be taking the right dosage. I'd check that out first.
Old 03-09-08, 09:43 PM
Jr Member

crash_matrix is on a distinguished road

I've been taking Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine) for the last 2 weeks and it has similar sexual side-effects, though I don't get jittery unless I take more than one dose.
My doctor said the listed side effects are normal at first because you're supposed to be figuring out what dose is right (he's had me play with dosage and timing every few days to see what's the best). I'd ask the doctor about your dosage and see if you can get it reduced (the jitteriness and irritability shouldn't be prolonged -- that would mean the dose is probably too high).

-- Allen
Old 03-10-08, 01:56 AM

Mincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to beholdMincan is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
I've read that if there isn't a true AD/HD problem the excess dopamine/norepinephrine release (from the use of Adderall) causes problems like you are experiencing.
Um, ya know, we weren't meant to be taking these drugs... like... the body is suppost to know you've got ADHD and ... what? Like the body is supposed to be like "alright, extra dopamine, let's get 'er up!"... ya right. Our body is comfortable with whatever amount of dopamine is usual for us... excess dopamine to anyone can cause the same symptoms... whether or not that amount of dopamine is enough for you to focus on mental tasks and such.

I can't stand this site always trying to tell people their side effects mean they don't have ADHD. These are freakin amphetamines people! No wonder everyone comes on here concerned that they don't "really have" ADHD.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mincan For This Useful Post:
DavidGen (03-10-08), GirlieSoGroovy (04-27-14), OSUbeaver (03-11-08), Squirrely Seth (08-31-11)
Old 03-10-08, 02:03 AM

DavidGen will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mincan View Post
Um, ya know, we weren't meant to be taking these drugs... like... the body is suppost to know you've got ADHD and ... what? Like the body is supposed to be like "alright, extra dopamine, let's get 'er up!"... ya right. Our body is comfortable with whatever amount of dopamine is usual for us... excess dopamine to anyone can cause the same symptoms... whether or not that amount of dopamine is enough for you to focus on mental tasks and such.

I can't stand this site always trying to tell people their side effects mean they don't have ADHD. These are freakin amphetamines people! No wonder everyone comes on here concerned that they don't "really have" ADHD.
yeah, what he said^
I definitely agree
Old 04-01-08, 04:50 PM

michaeljones147 will become famous soon enough

Generally an adverse event is serious enough to cause the patient to stop taking the medicine.
It is impossible for your healthcare provider to know whether you will develop any sexual side effects while taking Adderall. Because sexual side effects of Adderall occur so infrequently, it is difficult to know whether these problems are caused by another condition, Adderall itself, or a combination of both.

However, if you develop any sexual side effects while taking Adderall, make sure to talk with your healthcare provider. There is treatment that he or she may be able to recommend, such as an erectile dysfunction mediation. Depending on the severity of your sexual side effects, he or she may also recommend that you adjust your Adderall dosage or try another medicine to treat your condition.
http://adhd.emedtv.com/adderall/adde...e-effects.html
Old 04-01-08, 05:00 PM

neoamd is on a distinguished road

I only have had a loss of sex drive. Other areas function fine.

Although through my first 10 or so days others area went unused so I can't comment or if it may "come" or go :P

Good luck with your issue.

BTW Im taking 40mg IR Adderall and 70mg Vyvanse a day.
Old 04-02-08, 10:17 PM

tucker is on a distinguished road

I was always able to achieve erection but the first week or so I did notice that it wasn't "all it could be" so to speak. After a few weeks that nasty little side effect went away.
Old 09-07-12, 07:47 AM

godsarmor777 is on a distinguished road

you are suppose to stop taking it immediately that is a severe side effect. i had it too.
Old 09-07-12, 02:49 PM

Thanked 6,260 Times in 2,929 Posts
Drewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond reputeDrewbacca has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by godsarmor777 View Post
you are suppose to stop taking it immediately that is a severe side effect. i had it too.
Immediately is relative, given that the last post before yours is like four years old!

That is an odd side effect, I more-or-less had the opposite reaction. Maybe it's a blue-pill placebo effect for me
Old 09-07-12, 06:15 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,772 Times in 3,106 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

the sexual side effect i get is an increased libido. to the point that it's kinda unhealthy for me, in my opinion anyway

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 10-03-12, 11:46 AM

T-Rex. is on a distinguished road

Too ADHD to read through this, just gonna share my experience.

I also take the 20mg XR's. It's a lot harder for me to get it up on adderall. Off adderall, my sex drive is insanely high. Based on that, I'm lead to believe it really is the medicine that causes it. Stop taking it for a couple days, report back to see if it's changed. I have to base my adderall usage around my sex and exercise schedule. It's a constant struggle, but I've made it work to some extent.