ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 03-09-04, 12:19 AM
ADDvanced Member

BnB is on a distinguished road
Woman with ADD Wonder if She Needs Meds Now

I know i have said this a couple times to close friends but here goes,........maybe it is time i was reassessed and went on meds. The last yr has been really wierd for me. I wonder if a person can outgrow their coping skills or if their ADD can just flair up and not be managible any more. Ive had a few spiraling out of control hyper episodes of late. As well,...to9nitefor example,....i just feel so wierd. Im bored, but lazy. Im sitting in the room,...but none of the conversations strike my fancy enough for me to chat. And some days like now,....i feel to distracted to try and even focus on the conversation. I will see my name mentioned and go "whoa ya."
But you know a part of me really fights going to be reassessed cause then im not right, not normal. And i know thats just me thinking but still. I figure ive coped okay for 35 yrs and suddenly i cannot cope so well,....whats wrong with me anyways?

Just wondering if others have known and coped well with their ADD for yrs and suddenly found themselves not coping so well anymore? If so,....what did you do about it? And are you on meds now? And doesthat help? And what else have you done to help?

Sometimes i wonder thou if i dont have mild manic depression cause it seems to come and go in waves or periods if that makes sense?
Old 03-09-04, 12:38 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Well I think many of us can "cope" or "survive" with out medication and other options to help manage ADD. But, sometimes people with ADD need to ask themselves if they want to do more than cope.

I have back and forth on the meds issue for years. After not being on medication after quite some time I decided to try medication again.

It's really helped me a lot, especially with the anxiety. Also realizing I suffer from anxiety was huge thing too.

I look at medication as a tool that helps me. I don't think I "need" medication but like other tools it helps me live a happier more productive life.
Old 03-09-04, 02:47 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Jellybean is on a distinguished road
I am not a knowlegable person in this area. But I am curious
do you have Manias? Like getting really hyper or thinking grandios thoughts. Suddenly doing amazing amounts of activities?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-04, 04:43 AM

Nucking_Futs has a spectacular aura aboutNucking_Futs has a spectacular aura about
I am going thru the samething BnB I thought I had everything under control but find thing's and easy task's just slipping thru my fingers. My doc suggest depression meds and believes it's post partum so hey what the heck I'll try em.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "WOW! What a ride!!"

Old 03-09-04, 04:58 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

Energizer_Bunny is on a distinguished road
I was without meds for years until I was diagnosed until 36 years old. I managed and I did fine. But I ended up at a job where I had to do something or I could not keep my job. I ended up no choice but to go on medication.

But on the other hand, I was mad. I mean mad. I was not mad because I had to go on meds so that I could work and keep my job, I was mad because I had to go on meds so that other people could accept me and so that I could be like the so called "typical norm". I had to go on meds so that the world could deal with me. I felt that I had to adjust completely to everyone else and that no one else was willing to adjust to me or even try and understand me and that I had to do all the work. It wasn't 50/50 with ADHD. It was 100% on my part. I found out I had ADHD from a Co-Worker who sat across from me. She brought it up to me one day and I went from there. But the sad thing about this story is that she told me she could not deal with me, that I was to much to handle. Well, that blew me away, especially knowing and believing that I had done fine for all these years. But after it was all said and done, I come to realize that this individual also has some problems and may possibly be bipolar. I can say that I am ever so thankful to her for telling me about ADHD. She changed my life.

But I was glad that I went on the meds and it was heck in the beginning for me especially with my Tourettes diagnosis and the OCD diagnosis and my Tourettes getting worse after meds. But now that I am settled it was well worth the road that I traveled, and trust me it was one tough road. I still have problems, but I am able to cope better, I am more productive at work and I am in college. And for once in my life, the past year, I have actually been able to get work on time with the help of a co-worker that supports me and gives me wakeup calls.

Even on meds I still have bad days. So every day is not perfect for an ADHD person whether they are on meds or not.

But I had noticed in chat you commented about job hunting. Maybe with that new horizion in your life, meds would be something to consider.

I hope the best for you.
Sherry
Old 03-09-04, 08:51 AM
ADDvanced Member

BnB is on a distinguished road
I just dont know anymore,.........i dont think i get manic other then for a day, i can get hyper,...but then thats part of me and its only a day or 2 then i feel my normal self again.

I do feel that there are some areas in my life that need closure,.....my ex going to trial for the abuse on my daughters,....finalizing my divorce,......and moving.Maybe once these issues are resolved i can get back tomy normal life. I do know there are days im totally unmotivated to do anything.

So i dont know if its justmy life in the last yr or if maybe its more then that,...like not being able to cope as well anymore.
Old 03-09-04, 08:57 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
Ideally, meds will help you to reduce your tension and distractibility and become "more you." I went on meds not to help anyone else, but to help me deal with the frustration of being so very scattered and distractible and always feeling a bit guilty about whatever I was leaving undone. I don't know how old you are, but in women ADD symptoms sometimes worsen with age. And regardless of age, the stress of jobhunting could certainly make you feel worse. I know this is easier said than done, but try not to get caught up in worrying about being "not normal." There is no "normal." We all need different things to help us function at our best, and if it turns out that meds or counseling would help you, I say go for it!

IMHO, getting reassessed would be a good idea. Your mood swings could be related to the ADD, or to something else entirely. You never know how much better you could be feeling, unless you give treatment a try.
Old 03-09-04, 09:30 AM

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
You may not be ready for meds just yet. That doesn't mean you can't get an assesment done.

Take it one step at a time.
Old 03-09-04, 10:53 AM
ADDvanced Member

MrsBulldog720 is on a distinguished road
Hi BnB,
I don't think I have ever coped well with my adhd... But I think I coped som better after some meds...Be causcious they don't overmedicate you though. I never went on meds til I was in my 30's (mid), I was only on ritalin a very shout time when I was a kid.
p.s.
You can have both bipolor & add.

Hugs!!
Old 03-09-04, 11:03 AM
Jr Member

Browneyedgirl68 is on a distinguished road
BNB ...Hugsssss.. I don't have add or adhd..I am Acute Bi polar...but that whole overwhelmed feeling I can relate to...just wanted to say Hugsssssssssssssssssssssssss

Hope
Old 03-31-04, 12:43 AM

Have you come to any descision yet?