ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-08, 06:55 AM
Banned

doc_holiday is on a distinguished road
Smile How do I find Perfect doctors in my area that specialize in adult add?

I am tired of having no accomplish ment over the past 20 years. I am looking for the best doctors (with various jobs, neurologiist etc.) I am looking for one who lives near Green Bay, (but not neccessary). Green Bay, Wisconsin. ANY INFO on any doctor job description would be nice.

Also do you have any advice on where too look for the best doctors/etc. adirectory of people who SPECIALIZE in ADD would be ideal.

If you know of a good place to search for absolute experts in thier field

Thanks, For Reading.
Old 07-05-08, 07:54 AM

Rebs will become famous soon enough
Re: How do I find Perfect doctors in my area that specialize in adult add?

If you're covered by insurance, most of those companies offer some sort of search (online or through their 800 number). Usually you can plug in the specifics you are looking for (including ADD and/or adult ADD) to narrow down the search.

If not, I know that my health insurance website lets me look up a physician without me needing to log in - most likely more companies are like this and anyone may utilize the search function.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-05-08, 09:36 AM
Forum Guru

curseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the roughcurseandablessi is a jewel in the rough

This is what I got when I looked for professionals in the Green Bay WI over at the ADDitude Magazine website:

Bellin Medical Group-Family Drs of Green Bay

Green Bay, WI 54313
Affinity Medical Group Behavioral Health

Appleton, WI 54915
D K Tannan MD

Oshkosh, WI 54902
Adult Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

Oshkosh, WI 54901
Integrated Mental Health Service

Marinette, WI 54143
Riverside Psychiatric

De Pere, WI 54115
Douglas R Fownes MD

Fond Du Lac, WI 54937
Geralyn A Carducci DO

Manitowoc, WI 54220
Appleton Psychiatric & Counceling Ctr

Appleton, WI 54914
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-08, 09:39 AM
Forum Guru

DeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud ofDeloresMelon has much to be proud of

After finding some potentials using the above mentioned methods, the best thing to do is call them, ask if they specialize in Adult ADD, and if so, set up a consultation appointment.

The only way to determine if a doctor is "perfect" (which we know is impossible) is to meet with them. They could have all the degrees in the world, but if they're a jacka** to you in the office, then none of that matters.

Old 07-06-08, 05:04 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

There is a section devoted to directories to assist members is this endeavor Where Can I Find a Health Care Professional?

Several of the directories are put out by places like Chadd and Shire that specify they diagnosis and treat ADD - I tried my best to give a brief but accurate description of the source and if it specified ADD or adult ADD treatment.

If you find a dead link please fell free to PM me and I shall remove it - if you find one good professional finder I don't have let me know and I will add it - several of the sources especially those out side of the US came from the membership here. I have all these directories on a single thread to make it easier on members who may not have the attention span to search the entire ADDF site.

Hope it helps

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meadd823 For This Useful Post:
curseandablessi (07-06-08), Mary (07-06-08)
Old 07-06-08, 09:31 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadd823 View Post
There is a section devoted to directories to assist members is this endeavor Where Can I Find a Health Care Professional?

Several of the directories are put out by places like Chadd and Shire that specify they diagnosis and treat ADD - I tried my best to give a brief but accurate description of the source and if it specified ADD or adult ADD treatment.

If you find a dead link please fell free to PM me and I shall remove it - if you find one good professional finder I don't have let me know and I will add it - several of the sources especially those out side of the US came from the membership here. I have all these directories on a single thread to make it easier on members who may not have the attention span to search the entire ADDF site.

Hope it helps
http://www.med.nyu.edu/patientcare/findadoc/ was a broken link. And how do I tell how good they will be? they others helped though thank you.
Old 07-07-08, 05:32 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,433 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
And how do I tell how good they will be?
Looking for doctor listed by ADD organizations or who say they treat ADD. As to finding a good one call and ask about the doctors experience in working with ADD adults this will increase your chances of finding a good ADD doctor . Like every thing else in life increasing your chances of finding a good health care professional isn't exactly the same as a guarantee

You will not know whether or not the doctor is a good personal match until you meet them and have some time to work with them.

I shall check out that broken link thank you

Finding a HealthCare Professional - tips advice

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook

Last edited by meadd823; 07-07-08 at 06:13 AM..
Old 07-07-08, 07:30 AM
Banned

no problem
Old 07-08-08, 12:39 AM
ADDvanced Member

Location: Mountlake Terrace, Washington, USA, World, Solar System
AnalogDog has a spectacular aura aboutAnalogDog has a spectacular aura about

The number one way to know you have a winner therapist is to find out if they have ADHD. That will take you as far as it can take you with them until you need to move on. But it truly is the only way to know if the person will take you seriously. Many non-ADHD therapists give lip service to saying they know about it, but know very little about it. They are a great way to waste money.

Almost anyone can prescribe medications, but it really helps to have a good doctor who understands all the facets of ADHD, and can understand how much mileage a patient is getting from the meds.
Old 07-08-08, 12:48 AM

civicmon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDog View Post
The number one way to know you have a winner therapist is to find out if they have ADHD. That will take you as far as it can take you with them until you need to move on. But it truly is the only way to know if the person will take you seriously. Many non-ADHD therapists give lip service to saying they know about it, but know very little about it. They are a great way to waste money.

Almost anyone can prescribe medications, but it really helps to have a good doctor who understands all the facets of ADHD, and can understand how much mileage a patient is getting from the meds.
I don't buy the top line but everything else is fairly spot on.

Unfortunately, most of the "experts" are child psychiatrists. My HMO in California sent me to the child psych experts for ADHD treatment.

Adult experts are far and few between as it wasn't really recognized until the 90s that this lasted much beyond childhood.
Old 07-08-08, 12:59 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

theta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to alltheta is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnalogDog View Post

Yeah having the same condition makes empathy easier but ADHD is a very effective weed out mechanism for people entering profession educational programs. So do not count on seeing many doctors with ADHD. Non-medical doctors like psychologist may have a higher percent of ADHD. As an old college friend with a psychology degree describe "many people enter the psychology field because they have psychological problems". A medical degree is too rigorous to see very many ADHDers to complete it. Also non-medical approaches to ADHD treatment are less effective.