ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 03-29-04, 11:07 AM

Rockin Robin is on a distinguished road
Question Do I have ADD?

Ok, so here is the thing. I was reading Add and Depression and the thing is that I am being treated for mild Depression but the more research that I do it sounds like ADD to me. My life is a mess, I never never stay on task (ie. I work at a CPA firm, Yup but I'm on the computer messing around not doing anything remotely like work ). So when I talked to my Dr. he said that you cant have ADD and be a Bookkeeper. Ummm, That really didn't make sense to me. So I have another Dr. that will prescribe me meds for ADD. Do ya think I should try them? I want to have a clean house, not be so angry at little things, be able to do my work even if it is boring . PLEASE GIVE ME DIRECTION.
Robin
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockin Robin For This Useful Post:
joyrjw (03-07-11)
Old 03-29-04, 11:30 AM
Contributor

bnsforu2 is on a distinguished road
i suggest see a pychologist phd or pychiatrist md or licensed clinical social worker. see if they specialize in add.
then you will lead to some peace of mind.

good luck.
Paul
Old 03-29-04, 12:33 PM
Contributor

t-bird is on a distinguished road
I would definitly call around and find someone that specializes in ADD, like a counselor or psychologist.

Its probably not a great idea to just try the meds before you know for sure (although alot of people do it with success, I'm sure alot don't get success as well)

I hope this helps, good luck to you!

Britawn

P.S. Having ADD can cause mild depression

P.P.S. I have done some bookkeeping before, its not easy but it can be done w/ ADD
Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-04, 12:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

FlakeyGirl will become famous soon enough
What made you want to be a bookkeeper? I am not trying to be mean or unsupportive, but I just think it is interesting that you chose such a profession. Are you good at mathematics? Family business?
Old 03-29-04, 05:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Jellybean is on a distinguished road
I've known add bookkeepers.
Old 03-31-04, 10:43 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Tara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to allTara is a name known to all
Robin,

I suggest trying to find a professional who has experience treating women with AD/HD. It's obvious that the 1st Dr doesn't "get ADD". I have met Doctors, Lawyers and other professionals who have ADD. AD/HD can not be ruled out by the job a person has.

The 2nd Dr who will just prescribe you meds with out doing a thorough assesment sends out a Red Flag too.

You could start looking for a professional at the ADDA Yellow pages http://www.add.org/help/professionals/index.html

The National Center for Gender Issues and ADHD also has listings of professional who specialize in treating female http://www.ncgiadd.org/resources/prof_directory.html
Old 04-02-04, 09:13 PM

pembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nicepembroke is just really nice
yup, that'd be my advice, too. find a medical professional who specializes in ADD, preferably adult ADD. Your gp should have a few names.
Baruch Spinoza

Old 04-04-04, 03:01 PM

FlowerGirl is on a distinguished road
I'm a non-ADD person, but have suffered from serious depression, and there are some symptoms that are very similar to ADD/ADHD:

Inability to focus on anything for very long, getting overwhelmed by housework and therefore unable to do anything, being disorganized, and forgetful. I've only recently begun to research ADD/ADHD because I have a friend with ADHD, but I've noticed many traits that I have also in the descriptions by those on these forums. I think it's also possible that many people with ADd/ADHD also suffer from some level of depression.

For me, as I was able to overcome/manage my depression, the symptoms lessened, but will probably never completely go away. I definitely also recommend getting help, either from a therapist or psychiatrist, or even MD. don't know if this helps, but good luck.
Old 04-05-04, 01:25 AM

E-boy has disabled reputation
I like your signature quote Flower Girl. Reminds me of this one..

"People take life too seriously. No one gets out alive anyway."
Old 04-05-04, 11:24 PM
Contributor

Emma S has disabled reputation
Re: Do I have ADD?

Quote:
Originally posted by Rockin Robin
Ok, so here is the thing. I was reading Add and Depression and the thing is that I am being treated for mild Depression but the more research that I do it sounds like ADD to me. My life is a mess, I never never stay on task (ie. I work at a CPA firm, Yup but I'm on the computer messing around not doing anything remotely like work ). So when I talked to my Dr. he said that you cant have ADD and be a Bookkeeper. Ummm, That really didn't make sense to me. So I have another Dr. that will prescribe me meds for ADD. Do ya think I should try them? I want to have a clean house, not be so angry at little things, be able to do my work even if it is boring . PLEASE GIVE ME DIRECTION.
Robin
The symptoms of Depression:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/health/mental/d...pression.shtml
Against ADD/ADHD:
http://www.btinternet.com/~black.ice...t/wotsadd.html
If you have always felt there was something not right with your concentration exetera,or maybe your parents might have ever 'picked up' on it before,then definately go to your general practicioner/doctor to get refered to a pyschologist as you could be missing out on treatment.
Old 04-23-04, 10:46 AM

BarbaraAnne1975 is on a distinguished road
You can't be a bookkeeper and have ADD??? Uh yeah you can...just like your doctor can be completely and totally ignorant and still be allowed to have his M.D.
"There is nothing wrong with you, there is nothing wrong with me. The Divine made you perfect the way you are. Barb, the only difference with us is that the world just doesn't move fast enough to hold our attention"

My friend Kim after I told her that I had ADD (she does also and has been on Ritalin since she was a child)