ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-04-09, 11:42 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about
Do you have and ride a Motorcycle?

I guess this post could also go in the ladies forum...

Do any of you have and ride a motorcyle? After a long period without a bike, I bought a bike a couple of years ago. I put about 750 - 1250 miles a year on it. Not a whole lot, but not a small amout either. Obviously, I do not ride the thing every day.

OK, here's the question: If you have a bike, are you worried about having ADHD and being a safe rider? I am obsessed with safety when I ride, because I'm afraid I will get distracted and get into trouble. My obsession is to the point that I do not always enjoy my rides - too worried about being alert and ready for any hazard.

I have taken the Basic Riders Course and passed it with flying colors. I'm planning on taking the advanced riders course soon.

Anyway, I'd like to hear from fellow ADHD motorcycle riders about your thoughts on being a safe rider and having ADHD.
Old 05-04-09, 12:05 PM
ADDvanced Member

rollingstone88 will become famous soon enough
Re: Do you have and ride a Motorcycle?

Well we all like motorcycles to some degree...I hope somebody catches that and if you do I love you. Anyways, I don't have a bike but I wish I did...I don't even have a car at the moment.

Well, I wake up in the morning, fold my hands and pray for rain. I got a head full of ideas that are drivin' me insane. - Bob Dylan "Maggie's Farm"

The hungry and the hunted explode into Rock 'n' Roll bands. - Bruce Springsteen "Jungleland"

Well, we busted out of class, had to get away from those fools. We learned more from a 3-minute record, baby than we ever learned in school. - Bruce Springsteen "No Surrender"

Old 05-04-09, 12:52 PM
Contributor

Zoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to beholdZoom Dude is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnbeg View Post
OK, here's the question: If you have a bike, are you worried about having ADHD and being a safe rider? I am obsessed with safety when I ride, because I'm afraid I will get distracted and get into trouble. My obsession is to the point that I do not always enjoy my rides - too worried about being alert and ready for any hazard.
There are so many ways to answer this question. It depends on so many things. Here's my take, probably on one extreme of the possible responses.

I've always thought that I was barely conscious unless I was involved in some deeply engaging activity. Motorcycling fills that need for me. So much so that I started racing, worked for a motorcycle accessory store and ran a small business making and selling racing parts.

What sucked me in was the demand for total immersion. In a car, turning the wheel or stepping on the brake or gas has a predictable - and single - result. On a motorcycle, anything you do with one control requires simultaneous compensation with at least one of the other two controls. Driving a car is intuitively obvious. Riding a motorcycle well is so complex that it literally happens at a subconscious level. Otherwise there would be too much to think about. I've known athletes with great timing, coordination and skill that never got the hang of riding.

There is also the fact that you are more vulnerable. For some this will heighten fear and anxiety. (I've read posts here on anxiety about driving a car. I presume riding would make things worse for these people.) For me, that heightened state of awareness switches on my hyperfocus mode. I am far more alert on a motorcycle than in a car. I know where all the hazards are or where they could come from, and where the escape routes are to avoid them. You may think I'm nuts, but I truly believe I'm safer on a motorcycle. Driving a car is so little challenge that it's easy to follow the inevitable distractions.

For some people riding a motorcycle is a little like sitting on a beach chair watching the waves. (These are the ones likely to ride cruisers or tourers.) For me it's like a martial arts workout. (Hence my preference for sportbikes.)

If you really like to ride but your fear gets in the way, turn your fear around. Look at your entire environment as unpredictable moving obstacles. Read situations as they develop. Plan ahead. Watch car drivers' eyes and front wheels to get tip-offs on their actions. I know this sounds like a very type-A approach, but with time you will get a better sense of control of your destiny. And you'll even be able to relax and enjoy the scenery while maintaining that sense of control.

As with anything, it's all in your approach. I got rid of my last motorcycle years ago and missed it ever since. Now that I'm reassessing my life in terms of my ADD, I realize why a motorcycle was so important to me. It's the only time I felt all my synapses were firing. I need to get another one.

ZD

If ADHD was more prevalent it would be "normal". It would shape all of society, just as it shapes our individual lives now.

Those with an excessive need for order, consistency and timeliness would face a lifelong struggle. Most of us "normals" would wonder why they don't lighten up and be more open to life's ebb and flow.

"Normal" is a meaningless concept. Reality is what it is. How we choose to deal with it is what defines us.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Zoom Dude For This Useful Post:
gnbeg (05-04-09), Mr Mannic (05-05-10), penguin (05-21-10), phEight (05-03-10), prtsimmons (05-12-09), TriumphTriple (07-02-11), yanshcher (05-20-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-09, 01:08 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

ndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura aboutndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura about

My hubby is a Harley freak!

I like to ride sometimes, but I have to be in the mood!

"Live like it's your last day on earth"
Hope does not disappoint!!
Old 05-04-09, 01:45 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

I have enjoyed riding for about 17 years, although I sold my bike about 2 years ago. I certainly plan to get another at some point.

Motorcycling focuses my attention very effectively - much more so than driving a car. While I've had a number of small-scale fender benders in my cars over the years, I've never gone down on a bike.

Motorcycling is like therapy to me. Lordy I miss it.

The mind is a monkey.
- another unknown zen master -

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ganjin For This Useful Post:
gnbeg (05-04-09), MX2012 (07-31-13), ndnbutterfly (05-04-09)
Old 05-04-09, 01:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Ganjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant futureGanjin has a brilliant future

I think it was Kerouac who said that driving a car is like watching television; it all goes on effortless through a 'screen' (the windshield). But motorcycling, that's LIVING the journey. Wind in your hair. Bugs in your teeth.

Good stuff.

The mind is a monkey.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ganjin For This Useful Post:
prtsimmons (05-12-09), rollingstone88 (05-04-09)
Old 05-04-09, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

ndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura aboutndnbutterfly has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjin View Post
I think it was Kerouac who said that driving a car is like watching television; it all goes on effortless through a 'screen' (the windshield). But motorcycling, that's LIVING the journey. Wind in your hair. Bugs in your teeth.

Good stuff.

That's why I never want to drive the bike! I sure don't want bugs in my teeth!! LOL

"Live like it's your last day on earth"
Hope does not disappoint!!
Old 05-04-09, 04:33 PM
ADDvanced Member

rollingstone88 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganjin View Post

Good stuff.
I love Kerouac. On The Road was amazing.

Well, I wake up in the morning, fold my hands and pray for rain. I got a head full of ideas that are drivin' me insane. - Bob Dylan "Maggie's Farm"

The hungry and the hunted explode into Rock 'n' Roll bands. - Bruce Springsteen "Jungleland"

Well, we busted out of class, had to get away from those fools. We learned more from a 3-minute record, baby than we ever learned in school. - Bruce Springsteen "No Surrender"

Old 05-04-09, 10:02 PM

Andie is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I know this is in the men's room.. But, I have a sportbike... and yes, I ride the crap out of it. I put 13k miles on it last yr, and since moving to Ga, only around 3k so far.
I find it VERY easy to stay focused while riding- the main part of riding is to constantly scan your surroundings and have an out for all possible situations around you at any given time. Keeps the mind busy busy busy!!

Just recently tho, I found out a bunch of people in a group of riders I'm friendly with where I used to live have ADD/ADHD..

Makes you think, eh?

Oh and I'm completely obsessed with riding and my bike. lol

That BRC was a blast, wasn't it?
gnbeg (05-04-09)
Old 05-04-09, 10:36 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

THANKS to all who have responded! Your responses make me feel better about riding and having ADHD. Please keep the reply's coming.

I have a Honda 599. It's a "naked" or "standard''. It is not as crouched or compact as your average crotch rocket. It rides more upright. But it is a sport bike otherwise. I love it.
The Following User Says Thank You to gnbeg For This Useful Post:
ndnbutterfly (05-21-09)
Old 05-05-09, 01:00 AM
Contributor

penguin has a spectacular aura aboutpenguin has a spectacular aura about

Hi,
I have been riding for the last 40 years. Oh, that makes me feel old.
I need my motorcycle fix. The stimulus of the ride, challenge to survive, and the "alive" feeling I get after a good ride is the only way to start the day. The rule is simple, if it is not raining, ride. If it is, drive. Forecast does not matter. You will be suprised how often it rains after you get to the office and stops before heading home.
We ride 60 miles to get a coke and ice cream. Our friends understand.

As to the safety, obsessing thing. You are spot on. Get the MSF training. Then practice. After awhile, the mechanics of your riding become automatic. Then you can better enjoy the ride. Your obsessing is not misplaced in your preparation of the bike, safety equipment, and planning your route. Then you can enjoy the ride knowing you have done all you can to make it an enjoyable and safe trip.
Remember, no one here gets out alive. Enjoy the ride...Ken
Old 05-05-09, 01:23 AM
ADDvanced Member

MrJohn has a spectacular aura aboutMrJohn has a spectacular aura about

I didn't know I had ADD when I rode so I didn't worry about it. Never had any major incidents.
Old 05-05-09, 04:52 AM
Contributor

Johnny123 will become famous soon enough

I've got a YZ 125 and it goes fast

Gotta watch it though, sometimes i'm looking at something else while heading toward a tree.
Old 05-05-09, 02:08 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

I like muscle bikes myself. My last was a 1978 Suzuki GS1000. Fast and heavy. Kind of like the old Chevy Nova of motorcycles. Although I never went down on my bike, I did once get pulled over doing 90 mph in a 35 zone in Tempe, AZ, my old stompin grounds. I was wearing no helmet to interfere with my mohawk at the time.... Oi, it's wonder we live through our youth.

The mind is a monkey.

Old 05-05-09, 02:43 PM
Forum Guru

Old School MBD has a spectacular aura aboutOld School MBD has a spectacular aura about

The ONLY rule I had when growing up at Grandma's was NO MOTORCYCLES

So after she left this world, I finally putted around a friends property one day, and that worked out pretty good.

Then a couple months after sucessfully putting around my friends property, another friend brought a bike over to my old property, which has a bunch of trails. I hopped on, started riding around, got the brake and clutch mixed up, and rode straight into the side of my house!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was the last (and probably final time) I rode a motorcycle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!