ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 05-05-09, 02:49 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold
Re: Do you have and ride a Motorcycle?

Being inattentive has never seemed to be a problem on a 'cycle. But the closest I ever did come to biting the dust is when I pulled out in front of another biker (I was new to motorcycles). THAT was embarrassing! I was so busy watching for cars, trucks, and buses that I completely forgot to look for other bikes!

I am very hesitant to ride in the city where I live now. But every year around this time, my neigbhor accross the street starts firing up his Harley. My wife gazes longingly at it and starts talking of our trips in the country. (Sigh!) I also killed the muscles along my lower left leg from shin splints. Maybe I could find a bike that only shifts one way?

Today would be perfect for a pud up the back way to Denver...

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

"Spend a day in my head before you tell me what my problem is!"
The Following User Says Thank You to firstdesserts For This Useful Post:
Old School MBD (05-05-09)
Old 05-05-09, 05:41 PM

Andie is on a distinguished road

^ Well, you know Honda's got the new 09 DN-01 Automatic shifting bike.. It's got a 680CC V-twin..

;-)
Old 05-05-09, 05:45 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

firstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to beholdfirstdesserts is a splendid one to behold

Woah! Automatic? I'm in trouble!

Visit the Exercise Forum here to check out the Get Fit Club, a group of people changing their lives for the better by caring for themselves enough to exercise.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-09, 09:46 PM

Andie is on a distinguished road

Haha, yeah. I saw it at my local stealership.. Sat on it. It's light as a feather. I was actualy pretty surprised. Go check the specs online. It's got a switch so you can change it to a 6-gear manual too. No more pain!

lol

(but I'm ok.. at least until the next 800 mile road trip.. ouch.)
firstdesserts (05-06-09), Old School MBD (05-05-09)
Old 05-06-09, 10:28 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

There's a Honda dealer a 5 minute walk from my house! Must...not...hyperfocus...on...mo...tor...cycles! (Poof! I'm a gonner!)

Andie (05-06-09)
Old 05-10-09, 09:30 PM
Contributor

Infinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the roughInfinity is a jewel in the rough

I both raced some and rode a bike for my total transport for 15 years . did some touring. I also worked in a shop mechanics and sales.

I relate to the thrill of scanning the environment and always in a state of hyperfocus weaving in and out of cars . The thrill of the down hill was the best. Loved to draft anothers wheel ,

I had an Italian bike . Campy equiped .. 700 cc , finger tip shifters..

I still have it but its been in storage for 13 years . I got a truck .

I always wanted one with a motor . i mean engine

Infinity~
Old 05-11-09, 01:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

lostsoul has a spectacular aura aboutlostsoul has a spectacular aura about

I have a motorcycle, was challenge getting it since it took a while to get used to.

At times, I'm so great at it, but then I make careless mistakes. When I hyperfocus on riding I'm excellent, but when I'm distracted by other thoughts in my head I get into trouble.
Old 05-11-09, 06:01 PM

Botje is on a distinguished road

I have been riding on (tuned) mopeds in my youth and later on i rebuilt an old dirtbike. The first time i rode the dirtbike i was so amazed by the power of that little thing that i just had to have it. The owner finally killed the poor bike and i got it for cheap and fixed it up, and tuned the engine as well after a complete rebuild.
A lot of the time i enjoy driving it relatively slowly, just a relaxing ride with the occasional wheely or drift, but other times i drive it really hard. It is so nice and i really enjoy it. Last winter i spent some time playing in the snow with it. Holding on as hard as i can, it was a very bumpy ride and really slippery, but so nice. The adrenaline rush is great.

Some time ago i went to a racetrack with my car as well. a lot of fun!!

when i have big issues on my mind i shouldnt ride (same with driving my car), i can make careless mistakes then.
Old 05-12-09, 01:15 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

gnbeg has a spectacular aura aboutgnbeg has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostsoul View Post
I have a motorcycle, was challenge getting it since it took a while to get used to.

At times, I'm so great at it, but then I make careless mistakes. When I hyperfocus on riding I'm excellent, but when I'm distracted by other thoughts in my head I get into trouble.
Yup, but I think this is an issue for all riders. I've ridded a couple of times when I was in a hurry and a couple of times when I've had my mind on other things (work, upset, etc). And it definitely effected my ability to focus on the ride. I talked to other riders who are not ADHD (at least not that I know off) and they experience the same issue.

But, I do wonder if this issue effects us with ADHD'ers more than the "normal" rider.
Old 05-12-09, 02:09 PM
ADDvanced Member

prtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the roughprtsimmons is a jewel in the rough

I have a 2004 Honda 919 that I love. I feel safer on my motorcycle than I do in my car because I never get distracted on the motorcycle. I do 10 000 km or more every year on the motorcycle and I would put more clicks on the bike if I didn't have to go to work to pay for the insurance. I have had a few minor lowside crashes and one minor collision (left-turning car driver - I was not at fault) but nothing I would blame on inattentiveness or impulsivity.

Riding a motorcycle makes you a much better car driver, too - you become much more aware of other road users (bicyclists, pedestrians, truck drivers) and potential hazards (intersections, surface conditions, distracted drivers).

Riding a motorcycle focuses my mind immediately, and clears away a lot of mental haze. If you have a dozen things running through your head when you get on the bike, you quickly forget them and focus on just one thing - riding. Clarity is awesome - it is rare that I only have one thing on my mind.

Safety is extremely important, but you don't need to obsess over it. Make sure your bike is safe (good tires, good brakes, regular maintenance) and make sure your skills are up to date (MSF courses, practice emergency braking in a parking lot, read books about riding, etc.). I follow the ATGATT rule (All The Gear All The Time - boots, gloves, helmet, jacket every time I ride the bike) and it has worked for me so far.

To the OP: are you on wristtwisters.com? It has all kinds of riders but mostly Hornet owners (919s and a few 599s).
The Following User Says Thank You to prtsimmons For This Useful Post:
phEight (05-14-10)
Old 05-16-09, 01:53 AM
Contributor

Sargon is an unknown quantity at this point

I have two. I've had seven in the last 10 years. Tomorrow I'll take the Triumph to my mechanic to have my Ohlins shock and RaceTech cartridge emulators installed ... and then Sunday I'll ride my BMW. I subscribe to 5 or 6 motorcycle magazines, and I can't start work each day until I've checked craigslist, advrider.com, motorcycle.com, and motorcycledaily.com. I've done all 4 levels at the California Superbike School (Keith Code). I'm completely obsessed, and I have no desire to change. I find that it's very safe, for the reasons others have mentioned. A cager would have to be highly skilled to hit me, because I'm aware of everything that's going on at all times. My only fear is getting hit from behind while stopped, so I'm getting in the habit of positioning myself between lanes until cars stop behind me.

Doctor Seuss Haiku
Old 05-21-09, 10:43 AM

R.B will become famous soon enough

I'm a rider.I have an 09 Dyna low rider.My 3rd bike in 2.5 years..I waited till my late 40 to get my first bike after the kids were grown..I love to ride..I joined a club..And find that because my job requires me to drive in this central valley about a 1000 miles a week in my work truck that I have no problem riding.I just know the roads so well I enjoy
the freedom more...How do I post a picture?

Last edited by R.B; 05-21-09 at 10:45 AM.. Reason: trying to insert image.
Old 05-21-09, 01:24 PM
Forum Guru

Logic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to allLogic is a name known to all

I have a Honda CB750F2N that I ride pretty much every day 'cause its 14 years old and looking a bit battered, I have a weekend toy which is a Suzuki GSX750R, not the blue and white one that every man and his dog rides... the "stealth" black limited edition one... stealth is a unusual choice of name for a bike with a gloriously loud race can on it ; ) I've had a heap of other bikes since I was 14 though.

Logic
Old 05-25-09, 02:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

Brain Control will become famous soon enough

Here's a question.... Anyone ever see a bike in front of a shrinks office ?

I think not... Nothing straightens out my perspective like a winding, twisting road ! !
The Following User Says Thank You to Brain Control For This Useful Post:
penguin (05-21-10)
Old 11-01-09, 09:24 AM
Jr Member

mysticalman is on a distinguished road

I too also ride.

I find when I ride I get hyperfocused on safety and the things going on around me.

Some of my compulsive habits.

1. Always wear a helmet
2. Never drive in anyone's blind spot
3. When nearing intersections making sure if there is a car present that they don't look like they are going to pull out in front of me and/or slow down if I question it.
4. Keep my speed under control. I have a tendency to love going 120+ MPH on an open stretch of road (thats what happens when you have 1900CC pushing your around)
5. If I am feeling the least bit distracted I make a stop at the bar and grab a soda, as the caffeine and short rest helps me get focused.

So far I have been accident free.