ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 09-01-10, 08:32 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,547 Times in 6,102 Posts
Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Do you have and ride a Motorcycle?

yup thats me I'll be like F8kc this traffic an F**** the man Im gonna do what I want blipblip snick snick and Im off What happened to the husky supertard.?
Old 09-01-10, 10:16 PM

Myth is on a distinguished road

My husband and I have a '94 Harley 883 Hugger. Our neighbors have a 79 HD 1000. We go riding every weekend together and do about 200 miles just having fun.
Old 09-02-10, 09:39 PM
Jr Member

Alpineski is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebelyell View Post
yup thats me I'll be like F8kc this traffic an F**** the man Im gonna do what I want blipblip snick snick and Im off What happened to the husky supertard.?
I got laid off from work so I was forced to sell it.

I'll get another one when I graduate. Or two.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-12, 01:33 AM
Jr Member

kpinvt is on a distinguished road

I love riding. Driving a car for more than an hour absolutely puts me to sleep. Unlike a lot of the descriptions of ADHD/ADD I've read I've never had a speeding ticket and I'm 58 y/o.
Old 10-25-12, 02:33 AM

Oilspill is on a distinguished road

I have a couple, a 1979 Honda CB750 in mint condition and the workhorse which is the 2010 Suzuki V-Strom 650. I ride a lot all around the country and beyond for work and for fun. Happiest on a bike racing through the mountains. I limit the size of the bike I own because while I am scared of getting hurt I love the speed and adrenilin rush and push to the extremes of the bikes performance.
Old 10-25-12, 04:19 PM
ADDvanced Member

parliate is on a distinguished road

Well , i had motorcycle and car ,i'm still using them.i had not bad injuries thank god.Motorcycle keeps me relax and cool i don't know why maybe reason of wind . =)

using concerta 54 mg /// ohh jesus i can focus
( probably will be 36 +36 )

Added : +10 mg Ritalin after 6 hours later concerta.

Last edited by parliate; 10-25-12 at 04:30 PM..
Old 10-25-12, 05:09 PM

Moonshadow will become famous soon enough

Hi. I don't ride a bike. I have ridden a trails bike precisely once and driven a quad a couple of times. I always thought that if I had a motorbike I'd probably not survive long.

There is less immediacy in the experience of driving a car, but questions of concentration, impulsiveness, medication effects etc. are still relevant to people with or without ADD/ADHD in cars - fast, powerful, lethal weapons. I've been driving off road since I was twelve, and have held a driver's licence for 45 years - would hate to be without one. Enjoy your riding, R
Old 10-25-12, 10:30 PM

Rebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond reputeRebelyell has a reputation beyond repute

I just bought another bike 2 weekends ago a 88 Honda nx 250.Theres nothing more pleasurable then twisting the throttle on something w some snot and hving the pleasure centers of your brain just light up w feel good endorphins an chemicals.I guess itsno different then sex or drugs but OMG the rush is just orgasmic
The Following User Says Thank You to Rebelyell For This Useful Post:
FreewayFlyer04 (10-27-12)
Old 10-26-12, 05:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

SASChii is on a distinguished road

the first time i rode a bike, a dirt bike i just got running, a lady in a van pulled out in front of me at the last second. broken femur and now have a metal rod inside leg. so much for my riding adventures.
Old 10-27-12, 07:13 AM

ElMarDuc is on a distinguished road

Hi, new member here. I ride a 2004 Harley Sportster 1200R. I put about 7000 miles on it every year. I find that when I'm on the bike I'm totally in the zone. It's so dangerous that you really have no choice but to be totally alert and pay attention to everything going on around you. It's kind of my life story. If there's even the slightest possibility
of zoning out or escaping I will. On the bike you have no choice.
The Following User Says Thank You to ElMarDuc For This Useful Post:
FreewayFlyer04 (10-27-12)
Old 10-27-12, 12:06 PM
Contributor

FreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really niceFreewayFlyer04 is just really nice

Awesome thread resurrection, don't know how I missed it before. I wasn't diagnosed with ADD until I had to quit riding for a few years in my forties. Back on 2 wheels, at my wifes urging. I am a person that needs to ride, currently on a harley that I have put 76,000 miles on in the last 8 years. 400,000+ lifetime miles, and still going. Join the American Motorcycle Association, search up Stayin Safe advanced rider training, and get out there.
Old 10-27-12, 03:52 PM

Oh and make sure ya have a handful of marbles for the cagers when they cut ya off or tailgate ya too close
Old 10-27-12, 08:04 PM

Paddles is on a distinguished road

Yes--a Ducati 450 Mark 3, I always liked the singles. And a 350 silver shotgun (I'm pretty old school). I have to agree with some of the others here--an element of danger and having to focus makes me feel pretty good. (I'm undiagnosed and no meds for ADD so my comments should be taken with a grain of salt). But when I was working in Java (I'm an oil and gas man so have been all over) and I couldn't take sitting in an office I used to ride a small bike all over east java and bali had the absolute time of my life! Best wishes to all, P

Last edited by Paddles; 10-27-12 at 08:14 PM.. Reason: Add photo
Old 11-23-12, 03:32 PM

minusSTATIC is on a distinguished road

I just recently learned how to ride a motorcycle. Then I bought one. This was prior to my ADHD diagnosis. I actually have not ridden my bike since I have started meds (a week ago)....mostly because I am apprehensive about concentration and because I dont feel like I need to constantly thrill-seek anymore! Prior to meds I would partake in any activity that gave me a huge adrenaline rush....stomping on the gas pedal of a 450 horsepower car has little effect on the meds.....which is good! Maybe I can chillax on the bike!
Old 11-24-12, 12:24 PM

dexmasterflex is on a distinguished road

ive been riding on and off for about 4 years. In that time i've gone from Suzuki GSXF-250 (suzuki across) to DRZ-400E (motard conversion) to the er-6n and now to the GSXR-1000. I haven't really done that many kays in total, maybe 15,000?

Interestingly though, i have never had any issue concentrating on the motorbike. It almost seems to play to well to my ADHD nature. I'm consistently checking mirrors, blind spots and perpendicular traffic at intersections. I've got a videos i've taken of driving cars and motorbikes where you can see my head movements, and my head is going in 100 different directions every minute. i can almost recount my thought process with each video, and i can count hundreds of different thought processes and topics as i'm driving or riding.

I've got a long history of driving performance cars daily (IS200 with a 500hp supra motor, S15 200sx, Evo8 MR) and have lost my license a few times due to impulsiveness, and consider myself an extremely good driver.

I've only had 2 accidents in my ~100,000km of driving (100 thou KM easy, probably closer to 150 thou) and i am always a few steps ahead of everyone else on the road. I see someone coming down the freeway offramp and predict how everyone is going to react to this extra car on the freeway. I then instinctively take the necessary steps to minimise the opportunity for someone to merge in to me, or find myself in another bad situation, like being behind someone who panic brakes. Most of the time it means dropping down a couple of gears and gassing it to get ahead of the 'cluster of risk'.

I've only come unstuck once, and it was while driving a car on the freeway and Facebooking/emailing/texting. An act of stupidity which i don't do any more but actually something i can now control and also attribute to my ADHD condition.

Having said all that; i've never come to grief because i haven't noticed another road user or changing in road condition.

My doctor tells me not to ride without taking dex, but riding on or off i don't notice ANY difference in my awareness of others or degree of care i take when riding or driving. It kind of throws my belief in my diagnosis into a spin, but that's another story for another time. For context though, dex definitely has had a huge and positive impact on my professional life/career.

Like many others here, i do it as a release. When riding the 26km commute to work every day, nothing else matters. It's a time i treasure greatly and i believe helps improve my general clarity of thought once i get in to work.

If you're an ADHD beneficiary (as i like to see it) i think it is wise to ride if YOU feel it's right for you. Not only because it's likely going to play well to your condition, but it will also give you a period of time where you cannot be thinking about anything else. It allows you (me) to turn what would usually be a period of 'tv static' into a period of blank screen.

I hope this post helps those out there who are second-guessing this magnificent method of physical and mental release.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dexmasterflex For This Useful Post:
FreewayFlyer04 (01-05-13), Meagan (05-24-13)