ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Men with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Men with ADD/ADHD This forum is for men to discuss issues related to being a man with AD/HD.

Old 04-07-10, 06:48 PM
ADDvanced Member

O'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really nice
Re: Adderall and prostate problems

Quote:
I wouldn't trade in my adderall for anything.
I thought the same thing until buildup from no lovin'/long hours sitting typing papers/end-of-semester stress/everything else gave me yet another bout of savage non-bacterial prostatitis.

Onset was early yesterday morning, peeing was difficult then. Now I'm about to take the medical limit for xanax/lb and go sit in a hot bath, because I can't pee at ALL, and it feels like I'm sitting on a burning hot lemon.

Still going to try to stick w/ adderall tomorrow (since it's not entirely adderall's fault), but if I can't pee in the next few hours it's off to the ER to get cathed.

FML!
Old 04-12-10, 03:36 PM

EatAtMilliways is on a distinguished road

FYL indeed, my friend.

I just went through my bimonthly "brain vacation", in which I go about 2 days with no meds just insure myself that I'm still capable of rational thought without medical influence. It's no fun, but the lack of pee-hole buildup is always a treat.

I've never quite reached the point of feeling like I was sitting on a burning lemon, but I'm not looking forward to it either. Sending waves of "feel better" vibes your way...
O'Doyle (04-12-10)
Old 04-12-10, 04:34 PM
ADDvanced Member

O'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really niceO'Doyle is just really nice

fyi, no ER visit. Tub/800mg Ibuprofen/fistful of Xanax did the trick.

Off Adderall for a few days, back to the C-2 junk drawer for a bottle of Ritalin.

sigh. Just let me get through the &*$^@#! semester!!!! AAARGH!

Last edited by O'Doyle; 04-12-10 at 04:42 PM.. Reason: lol 800mg, not 800mb—who takes megabytes of Ibuprofen?!? :D
The Following User Says Thank You to O'Doyle For This Useful Post:
EatAtMilliways (04-14-10)
Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-10, 02:53 PM

EatAtMilliways is on a distinguished road

Well, this isn't Reddit...otherwise I'd upvote you. I guess the "Thanks" button serves a similar purpose. Glad to hear you're OK, man. Not so great that you have to make compromises to get by, but at least you didn't end up on the business end of a roto-rooter.

I'm off my brain-vacation and back on my normal regimen of meds. That first day is a doozy once you get back on, too. All of the old familiar side effects kick in...loss of appetite, shaking, grinding teeth and, of course, the peegasm. Endless cycle...

BTW, your sig almost made me ruin my work laptop via nasal coco-cola projectile. Well done, sir.
O'Doyle (04-14-10)
Old 05-14-10, 07:56 PM

markonline is on a distinguished road

Hi,

I appreciate everyone's contributions here, especially Darkest Hour for starting the thread. I guess I'm just joining in to make sure that what I am experiencing is the same as the rest of you. I'm currently just on Dexedrine (15 mg., twice a day) and ever since I started, I've had a number of side effects, which i can only attribute to the Dexedrine.

I do have this "pee-jaculate." In addition to the difficulty in my stream starting, I often feel as if I am about to ejaculate when I am urinating. It can also happen when I am sitting for extended periods, that I will feel this build up of pressure and a tingling sensation. It leaves me feeling as if I have no control and could ejaculate, without warning, which is rather disturbing. Also, when I have a bowel movement, I practically always have a seminal discharge, which I know is a result of pressure on my prostrate. When I first started the med, for about the first month I would feel my prostrate clenching and releasing.

How do you all deal with the "pee-jaculate?" It is distressing for me, since I have OCD and semen is "contaminated." So while I don't want to go off the meds, I am anxious about this "pee-jaculate," if I am not home when it happens. Does anyone else have the added anxiety about the discharge?

thanks again.
Old 05-20-10, 02:18 PM

yanshcher is on a distinguished road

I checked this old thread while roaming around this forum. Hope already you have sorted out your problems. If not then rush to a urologist. It may cause due to the side effect of adderall IR.

Good Luck.
Old 09-15-10, 04:44 AM

Arfdog123 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by O'Doyle View Post

In men, it can cause something that looks so similar to bacterial prostatitis, that the only way to differentiate between the two is with a 'clean-catch' urine culture. I had this, and I couldn't find a urologist willing to actually DO the stupid labwork—if it gets to this point, they give you a bucket of Ciprofloxacin, which believe me, brother—you don't want to be on for the 6 weeks they make you take it for. Especially since you don't actually have the damned infection. Fluoroquinolones are nothing to screw around with!
Hi, I have joined this forum after reading the above comment, as it describes me closely. I gradually developed chronic prostatitis while taking vyvanse for about 6 of a 9-month period. I have not taken it in over 4 months now, but still have substantial positional/intermittent pain in the prostate region. At present, oddly, the most acute pain is caused by lying on my back; this has changed a good bit from earlier positional issues (mainly sitting). It also makes sleep a lot more complicated.

Is there any long-term prognosis for patients who develop chronic prostate symptoms secondary to use of adderall-type meds? I am concerned that I may be in a situation of permanent damage/pain in this matter. I have greatly increased daily water intake, altered my diet (removing many of the offensive items listed for prostate issues), but overall I cannot say matters have improved. TUNA was performed 6 months ago, with no substantial change in symptoms.

Any thoughts on where I might go with this from here would be very appreciated!
Old 05-17-11, 05:03 PM
ADDvanced Member

Did your urologist find any bacteria in your prostatic fluid? If not, it might be time for some pelvic floor retraining and destressng.

I'm about 95% symptom free now, and life is better for sure. There is hope!

Check out the book I mentioned above. I'm not shilling for anyone, it just answered a lot of these kind of questions for me.
Old 02-20-12, 07:52 PM
ADDvanced Member

Notafadd is on a distinguished road

This is a really useful thread! I experienced these problems with adderall. Stress was definitely a factor too. I did not have the problems with dexedrine, so went back to it. However, some of the problems that started with the adderall have not gone away. I've seen the urologist but pelvic paid disorder did not come up. What exercises are you doing to help treat this? If my problems aren't resolved soon, my urologist wants to consider surgery. I'd prefer to avoid it!
Old 10-03-16, 03:25 PM

karateman1963 is on a distinguished road

There is no doubt that Adderall contributes to prostate issues. I've had the same issues when starting adderall, and they resolved when I stopped taking it. I just asked my doctor for some Flomax (tamsulosin 0.4mg)....so lets see if that counteracts the effects of the adderall.
Old 12-06-16, 04:29 PM

KONKREETkahuna is on a distinguished road

Hoping I can give a little peace of mind. Some background- I'm a married guy 26 years old been taking adderall for about 3 months. Started with slow urination and built up to what I thought was a uti, I did a lot of research on this because it was interfering with my sex life. After all of my digging it came down to a very simple solution for me. Drink lots of water, for one to stay hydrated, and also to keep urine passing frequently to avoid the burning and slow urination. If you aren't sexually active, masturbate fairly frequently once every couple days, if you are sexually active make sure you don't go too long with out ejaculating, so same rules basically. This worked really well for me, and let's face it... it's not such a bad plan. Hope this helps y'all.
Old 05-05-17, 05:29 PM

RextheDog is on a distinguished road

I'm supposed to start taking my happy pills tomorrow and honestly, you guys are scaring the crap out of me. I haven't even taken one yet and I'm already thinking - screw this, I think I'll just live with the ADHD.
Old 05-18-17, 09:32 AM

lntense is on a distinguished road

Adderall can also stress the kidneys. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water, upwards of a gallon a day is a good rule of thumb, spread throughout the day.

I have experienced mild prostate problems on Adderall but only in high doses, and only when I am not having sex frequently enough. I will excrete semen when I take a **** or go to ****.. it's weird. But only happens on high doses or if I haven't been getting off in a few days.

You guys may just need to clear the pipes more lol. Morning sex helps ALOT.