ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-06, 12:20 PM
Forum Guru

AndreaPurple has a spectacular aura aboutAndreaPurple has a spectacular aura about
Is 3 yrs old too young to know?

This thread has many questions, but the bottom line basically is that I am wondering if 3 years old is too young to know, or have a clue that your child has ADD?

For those who have children with ADD, I am wondering if any of you had any idea when they were this young that there was something going on? And at what age were your children diagnosed?

For those who were diagnosed as children, how old were you? And do you know how young you were when your parents noticed there was something going on?

I am guessing that we won't know anything for sure until he is in school, but I am just wondering about this. My 3 year old seems to really hyperfocus on his favorite toys and gets really PO'd at his brothers when they interupt or mess up what he is doing and he has to start over. He's pretty hyper and has a little temper on him. And he will only sit for about 10 seconds (if that) to listen to a book being read. The only time he stays still is to watch a favorite TV program or movie. Even with his favorite toys and activities he is usually in motion. I guess I've seen my 6 year old do similar things, and I'm pretty sure he is not ADD, so am I just seeing something that's not there, is he just being a 3 yr old?

I think my problem is that I am so afraid of missing it if any of my kids are AD/HD, probably because it was missed with me for so long. Is that all this is? Probably!! I think I may have just answered my own question! LOL But I would still love some input on this I am really still very curious about what age you start to have a real idea that it really is or could be AD/HD?

Faith, Hope, Love!
Old 12-10-06, 01:27 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

adhdxyz has disabled reputation
The old saying of "The Apple doesn't fall far from the Tree" usually applies to add/adhd families.

My husband is add. He is one of 8 boys in his family. They are all quiet, have jobs where they work unsupervised with their hands (welder, construction, trash hauler, mechanic), all did poorly in school, half didn't graduate, half are divorced, have finance issues, almost all of them self medicate with alcohol or drugs.

My side of the family is adhd but I am the only one medicated. They are all very active, have good jobs, did well in school and are social butterflies. They are all right brainers, creative, energetic, witty, hopping and popping, talkative, artists, fun to be around, etc.. They dont see themselves as adhd though.

After we got married and I was 8 months pregnant, my mother-in-law mentioned that my husband used to have mini-seizures when he was sleeping and took some medication called Dilantin or something like that. Hmm....I knew that when we were sleeping, he'd shake and wake me up constantly but I didn't associate the shaking to mini-seizures.

After giving birth to our daughter, I later found out that my husband flunked 2nd grade and eventually went to special school district on the short yellow bus. I knew he went to highschool at a Tech School because he hated regular school so much and that he didnt graduate because he was 1 credit short and refused to go to summer school but I didn't know he had flunked 2nd grade.

Two years later I had our son. As he got older, there were a lot of things that were different with him then with our daughter.

She loved to cuddle and we would lay on the bed and read together or we would play games together. We could actually finish a book or a game with her.

Not with my son. No way. He didn't like to be cuddled aka restrained. He was always on the move. Always getting into things. I used to take naps with my daughter but not with him. He would never stop. I would have to sleep with one eye open.

My daughter used to be invited to a lot of play dates. Not him. He was not nice to be around as a toddler. He'd hit and take other kids toys. He was always breaking things by taking them apart. He was never satisfied. When we went to the park, instead of swinging or sliding down like the other kids, he'd climb on top of the tunnel slide and scare not only me, but all of the other mothers. He had no fear. He wasn't afraid of strangers or strange dogs.

I remember when he was 3, his babysitter took all the kids to the local firehouse. I had to go along in order for him to go. All of the kids, along with several other daycares, were all sitting quietly in a perfect row watching a short film about a talking smoke detector. But not my son. He was running around the fire station and I had to go chase him. A lot of it is a blur but I can remember finding him under the big wooden kitchen table while the firemen were eatting lunch. It was so embarrassing.

Due to his behavior, we would only go to one or two fast food restaurants. When we went to visit the grandparents (who both live close by), we never stayed long because of him.

He was asked not to come back to several daycares and even a private preschool. We were told we could come back "when he was properly medicated".

Eventually we did get him medicated. This was when he was in preschool. We tried the Hollistic/Homeopathic route and then the conventional route.

He is now 13. His diagnosis is adhd, ocd, mood disorder and learning disabilities. He is still a challenge but the older he gets, the more pleasant he is to be around.

Since learning so much about his diagnosis, my add husband got medicated last year and so did I (adhd). We both take Adderall and it has been a great improvement for both of us.

My daughter is 15 and shows signs of adhd but is not medicated. She has made honor role since 3rd grade and has alot of friends. We're going to keep an eye on her as she starts to drive etc to see if medication would be a benefit.

As I think back, my son is very very fortunate that he was diagnosed at such an early age. He had an IEP in Kindergarten. He has had all of the special classes available to him since day 1. He hasn't flunked any grades. He has been able to take social skills classes. We encourage him to start over whenever he is having a bad day. Since he was so off the chart hyper, there was no way he was going to fall through the cracks in school. A lot of kids that are ADD fall through the cracks because they are not disruptive in school. They daydream and are quiet and the teachers don't notice them. It's the hyper ones that get noticed.

I only wish that my husband and his brothers would have been properly diagnosed at an early age. It would have really benefited them. It's never too later though. Because as mentioned earlier, my husband got diagnosed and medicated at 46 and I did at 45. I wish I could have gotten medicated many years ago.

In our case, yes, we were able to tell as early as 3 years old. Anybody within a 1 mile radius of him could tell.

Good luck.

"If A is a success in life, then A equals x plus y plus z. Work is x; y is play; and z is keeping your mouth shut."

- Einstein
Old 12-10-06, 01:34 PM

Dissonance is on a distinguished road
I suspect that my daughter has ADHD and she's only 3... I'm actually not too concerned that she might, but I acknowledge that there may be a reason why she does things differently. I give her a little more space sometimes. I don't get upset when she's the only one in the group that wont sit down and pay attention. Here's a recent story. She's at gymnastics yesterday and they divide all the kids into three groups. All of them are running around hanging from the bars, doing forward rolls, walking on the little beam, and here's Lauren... She's over by the wall checking out this tiny hole in the wall. I litterally mean the size of a pen tip. She's looking all around it like she's trying to figure out why it's there and could care less about everything else going on around her. I laughed... It happens often. I'm hopeful that that by being aware of what could come that we will be better prepared to deal with situations that may arise....
Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-06, 01:35 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Vickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of lightVickie is a glorious beacon of light
It is posible to suspect ADHD so young. In fact, some kids are severe enough that the impulsivity can cause them to put themsevles and others in danger.

My daughter was different from birth, but my husband and I thought she just got the more difficult parts of both of us. We did not even consider ADHD, because the symptoms were part of both of our lives (so we thought it was normal), and we did not know what it was, because it is mild in both of us (so never diagnosed). It was not until the 4th grade when everything came crashing down that we sought help for her.

You have the advantage of being able to watch for problems and recognize them early. If your son has trouble when he is in school or preschool, you will be able to seek help for him.
Old 12-10-06, 03:07 PM
Forum Guru

AndreaPurple has a spectacular aura aboutAndreaPurple has a spectacular aura about
I think what has made it hard for me to try to figure this out is that my 6 yr old son, I am pretty sure is not ADD, I actually asked his teacher and she agreed. Anyway, he did some of the same stuff, like not really sitting still to listen to books. I used to bring him (6 y o) to a playgroup and at the end we'd sit in a circle and sing songs, he never wanted to sit, he'd be either the only one, or one of the few kids running around. He would however, participate at the end when we did ring around the rosy, when we'd walk in a circle and fall to the floor, he loved that. And he was never very snuggley at all, the 3 y o is the same way, he does not want to just sit with you and cuddle, unless he is sick. My baby is 20 months old and he is a little snuggle bug, he is quite content to just sit in my lap. The biggest differences I see between them is that my 3 y o is a biter, my 6 y o never was. The 3 y o climbed out of his crib before he was 3, the 6 y o never did. He is more of a dare devil then his older bro. He is so smart though, he is constantly surprising me with the things he knows that I had no idea he knew, he learns pretty quickly. If he is AD/HD, I think that will be his saving grace. I was always a slow learner, so of course before I was able to learn anything I lost interest, which is why I did so bad in school.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vickie
We did not even consider ADHD, because the symptoms were part of both of our lives (so we thought it was normal)
This is exactly what I fear happening, my ADD is just a part of me, I don't really recognize it as much in others, unless I pay close attention, but I am just not the most observant person. I just don't want him to fall through the cracks like I did, I was pushed through school with grades that really should not have gotten me to the next grade, which pi**es me off, I don't want that to happen to my kids. Well obviously, I will do my best not to let that happen, that's one advantage my boys have that I didnt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by adhdxyz
The old saying of "The Apple doesn't fall far from the Tree" usually applies to add/adhd families.
Another reason I am concerned, I know it is a definite possibility.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissonance
I don't get upset when she's the only one in the group that wont sit down and pay attention.
Now that I know that I am ADD and that he could be, I will do my best to be patient about this stuff too.

Faith, Hope, Love!
Old 12-10-06, 04:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

VisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really niceVisualImagery is just really nice
Andrea,

I looked on the web for articles on ADD and young children. There is very little! Most of the information is for parents of school children. Idea, start a thread for parents of children under 6 -who have parents, siblings, other family with ADD.

Seems they only study it in relation to school? I think it should start earlier, not meds, but developmental support to reduce the negative impact of the disorder. Here are some Developmental Milestone links. Learning about "normal," lets say, average stages of development should help you recognize any differences in your child at an early age-a priceless benefit IMHO.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/devmile.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/actearly/
http://www.howkidsdevelop.com/developSkills.html

Keep us informed. My idea-start a simple diary-use a monthly calendar for each year. Make a copy of the milestones for that year and year before and after. Check off the milestones as your child reaches them, mark in calendar-not by days, buy by week or month you notice the achievement. You will have phenomenal documentation that is simple to record. This way you will recognize anything out of the ordinary very early!

RADD-Child Development/Parenting teacher
Old 12-10-06, 05:18 PM
Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RADDmom
Andrea,

I looked on the web for articles on ADD and young children. There is very little! Most of the information is for parents of school children. Idea, start a thread for parents of children under 6 -who have parents, siblings, other family with ADD.

Seems they only study it in relation to school? I think it should start earlier, not meds, but developmental support to reduce the negative impact of the disorder. Here are some Developmental Milestone links. Learning about "normal," lets say, average stages of development should help you recognize any differences in your child at an early age-a priceless benefit IMHO.

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/yourchild/devmile.htm
http://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/actearly/
http://www.howkidsdevelop.com/developSkills.html

Keep us informed. My idea-start a simple diary-use a monthly calendar for each year. Make a copy of the milestones for that year and year before and after. Check off the milestones as your child reaches them, mark in calendar-not by days, buy by week or month you notice the achievement. You will have phenomenal documentation that is simple to record. This way you will recognize anything out of the ordinary very early!

RADD-Child Development/Parenting teacher
Thanks RADD! I don't know why I didn't think about searching for info on this online, it bothers me that I didn't think of it actually! Oh well.
So I did a search too and I found this sight....
http://add.about.com/cs/adhdinpresch...indicators.htm
Which lists things to look for. There are some things that indicate that it is possible.

But now I have a new question....maybe I should start a new thread, I'm not sure, moderators if you think so, feel free to move this.

After reading those indicators of ADD in pre-schoolers, I started to think about my 6 yr old. He does some of those things too, like sometimes he just does things that I know he knows he shouldn't do (hitting his brother, throwing things, etc.). When I ask him why he did it he can never give me an answer, most times he just looks at me blankly. He also still needs to wear a pull up to bed, and they say bed wetting is one sign of ADD. He has been a little bit behind learning, he seems caught up now, but my 3 year old is counting to 14 and I know the 6 yr old didn't do that until he was at least 4, it actually might have been 5. I know I shouldn't compare them, but I just can't help it. Anyway, I am just wondering now, is it possible he has a mild case of ADD or possibly some kind of learning disorder? I just don't want to miss anything and not get him help that he may need. Am I just getting overly concerned about nothing here?

Faith, Hope, Love!
Old 12-10-06, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaPurple
T
So I did a search too and I found this sight....
http://add.about.com/cs/adhdinpresch...indicators.htm
Which lists things to look for. There are some things that indicate that it is possible.
Wow... I can check off all but one or two from each of those stages.
Old 12-10-06, 05:37 PM

Did you see this list? http://add.about.com/cs/adhdinpreschool/a/proactive.htm It offers lots of good ideas...
Old 12-11-06, 07:14 AM
Super Meowaderator

Thanked 15,432 Times in 6,132 Posts
meadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond reputemeadd823 has a reputation beyond repute
MY mother said she thought she was going to give birth to a foot ball player because I kicked and wiggled and squirmed so much. Every one was surprized I was a girl (I was born before sonograms)

My grand son is slightly over two years old I would bet an entire pay check my grandson will be diagnosed ADHD as soon as he is in public school . . . . . . Mr. Busy busy busy. . . . he is happy as long as he is in motion. . . . . my other daughter (twin of grandson's mother) who has ADD and bi-polar looked at him when he was about a year old then asked me if I thought he was ADHD. . . it is that obvious. . . . he is going for the hyper variety . . . . he is a bouncing baby boy literally bouncing bouncing bouncing constantly

Follow ADDForums on Twitter & Facebook