ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 09-17-04, 03:41 AM

Eve is on a distinguished road
How do your meds help you with ADHD?

Do you take meds for ADHD and if so how do they help you? In what other ways would you like them to help you? If you do not take meds how do you cope with your ADD? I'm trying to see how different things effect other people with ADD and thier coping styles.

My meds help me to be less messy and more organized. I can remember stuff better usually too. They also help me focus some of the time. It seems lately that my focus level is going down. I still have a rough time reading, I'm really slow and it takes a lot for me to comprehend it all. Another problem I have is noises distracting me and throwing me all off. I do tend to complete things I start now, instead of forgetting about them and never finishing them. I was really bad at that. The meds have also helped me to become far less impulsive. With shopping, for example. I don't interupt people as much either. I still fidget a bit and try to do too many things a the same time. I do know that I have gotten a lot better that's for sure.

Also have you had a certain med not work as good for you then it did when you first started taking it? Or better a while after you started taking it? Anyone taking stimulants that make them tired, as I've heard of this before?
I just realized it takes me a long time to do anything. A lot longer than it should. You think I'm just slow or something?

Blah, blah, blah....Anyway, got side-tracked. So comment if you've got something to say! Oh and have a wonderful day!
Old 09-22-04, 09:07 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
My meds help me to be more focused, and to stick to tasks a bit longer. They also make me more observant about messes that need to be cleaned up (the jury's out on whether that's a good thing!) I remember when I first started taking meds. I was in a noisy office at work, and I could tell the precise moment the meds started wearing off, because I would suddenly get very distracted and annoyed by all the distractions around me.

I have switched meds several times. I'm much better on meds than off, but so far there has been no "silver bullet" that makes me totally functional all the time. Ritalin gave me the best clarity, but didn't last long enough, and made me crabby when it wore off. I'm currently on Ritalin LA. If I run out, I can see how much of a difference it makes ... but I'm still tempted to talk to the doc again and see if there might be a better option out there.

Now that I've tried several meds, and the thrill of discovery has worn off, I can see that meds will only be one part of the solution for me. I still have a lot of work to do to retrain myself. Sigh.
Old 09-22-04, 09:25 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,330 Times in 1,335 Posts
Trooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond reputeTrooper Keith has a reputation beyond repute
I take Ritalin and Zoloft...I have theories as to what the Zoloft does based on some minor experiences, but I'll talk about the Ritalin first:

First and most of all, it slows me down. When I take it, it takes about an hour to kick in at first (my first dose in the morning is Ritalin-SR 20mg, which is a huge waste of money since it only lasts as long as the 5mgs), but after that, it gives me time to think. I can catch myself before I act on impulses, and more importantly, my brain doesn't wander at all, it probably cuts on mind wandering 90%.

It also allows me to sustain focus without hyperfocusing. I can read things, for instance, without my brain wandering away, and yet without hyperfocusing on it.

It also tones my impulsiveness slightly: I'm less prone to immediately act on something I think than I am unmedicated. For instance, unmedicated if I think to say something, the ol' motor cortex fires it off before I even have a chance to stop it, which is terrible (fortunately, I also normally don't notice that I said anything wrong when I'm unmedicated, so it's borderline ok, hehe). Similarly, if I think to go somewhere or do something, my leg will sometimes jerk as if it's trying to start going, but since "walking" is a more complex task, I can normally stop that even when unmedicated. (However, if I am already standing and walking, sometimes I will hop and bolt towards what it is I want to do, but I catch myself midstride, heh).

So my medication tones down my inattentivity, my impulsiveness, etc. It does _not_ normally deal with my hyperactivity. HOWEVER The Zoloft I am taking for GAD seems to have a mild sedative effect...or at least it did the first 2 days, I'm not seeing it now.