ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 12-01-08, 11:01 PM

Dad_JW is on a distinguished road
7 1/2 year old starting Vyvanse tomorrow.

He had been on Concerta for 3 months and everything was going really well, then a couple months into the new school year, he was having trouble with his "motion control" and the Dr. upped his dosage and things went quickly downhill... Verbal Ticks, Anxiety, Anger, Sadness. It was not good.

So we took him off for a week- that was tough over the long Thanksgiving Break! Now we are starting him tomorrow on Vyvanse. Hopefully things will go better for us.
Old 12-01-08, 11:31 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 3,533 Times in 1,807 Posts
Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 7 1/2 year old starting Vyvanse tomorrow.

Good luck. Let us know how he does.

I'm really glad that worked. Those would have been terrible last words.
Old 12-10-08, 12:19 PM

mischloss is on a distinguished road

Hi there, my son has just started on Vyvanse as well. I am seeing immediate concentration results! Not too bad on the appetite suppression either. We make sure that he gets up in time each school morning to have a nice breakfast. Kills his appetite for lunch at school but by dinner he is okay! And even has a early evening snack before bed. He is also a type 1 diabetic so we are watching blood sugar control with the meds. So far so good. And he is sleeping soundly from what I can tell. He admitted after two days being on it that he is really liking the fact that he can concentrate and do his homework. He feels much more in control of his school work now. Hoping that this will keep up.

Old 12-16-08, 11:56 AM

Dad_JW is on a distinguished road

Well- It's been a couple of weeks and they have been a little rough on the whole family. Mornings are still pretty bad- loud noises, running around uncontrollably, increased tics, increased OCD tendencies. Seems like school is the same way.

The great thing is that the school is fully committed to him. This year we moved him from a Public Inclusion school, which was really great but just couldn't provide the necessary services, to a private school school that is strictly for kids with learning disabilities.

The school psychologist has been in constant communication with my son's psychiatrist and we are all supposed to hear today about their thoughts. For the first time we are hearing about the possibility of Tourettes and the need to have a neurological exam might be needed.

As you can see, things are little rough in the household right now, this forum is a great place to share, thanks for reading.
Old 12-16-08, 01:09 PM

Lady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond reputeLady Lark has a reputation beyond repute

You're really lucky. I would love to have a school like that for my son, but the closest is(was) a good 45 min away (depending on traffic), and now it's having "issues". I hope things will work out for you.

Old 01-03-09, 04:59 PM

shannonjon22 is on a distinguished road

This is my 9 year-old son's fourth day on Vyvanse after just having been diagnosed with ADHD. I am having some doubts about the medication but am willing to give it the two weeks trial period until our next appointment. His first day on medication had us worried: he was extremely lethargic, complained of headaches and stomach pain, and refused all food and drink. Days 2 and 3 were better in terms of activity level, but still having head/stomach pain. Day 4 (today) he is displaying a complete lack of motivation again. Perhaps I am just used to my uber-hyperactive son jumping on furniture, changing activities every few minutes, and eating every thing put in front of him. It seems to me though, that prior to medication, at least he was interested in something. I have been making smoothies chock full of vitamins (carrot juice, mangos, blueberries, etc...) in an attempt to keep food in his stomach to prevent the medicine from irritating it. I am looking forward to school starting back after the holidays to see how Vyvanse will affect his concentration, impulsivity, and hyperactive behavior.
Does anyone else have these worries? Am I doing the right thing by keeping him on the medication in spite of the side effects?
Old 01-03-09, 08:30 PM

shannonjon22 is on a distinguished road

I thought I should balance the previous post with a few positive changes that I have seen in the past 4 days. For starters, his hand flapping has stopped completely. He is not on the ASD spectrum, but had this weird habit of snapping his fingers on both hands in a downward motion constantly. He said he just likes the way it feels. Since starting Vyvanse, it has stopped. Also, I haven't seen him sitting on his feet in his chair or rocking the chair back and forth at all. Today I noticed that when he was learning to skateboard (he got one for Christmas), he stayed with the activity for over an hour... even after falling off numerous times! THIS IS HUGE! Before starting medication, he would have thrown the skateboard, engaged in a tantrum, and lashed out at me for making him hurt himself. He was much calmer and dealt with minor setbacks in a more appropriate manner.
Old 01-04-09, 12:50 PM

Sometimes the negative side effects go away as the body becomes used to the medication, but sometimes not. It's not horrible to keep at it to see, as long as the side effects aren't severe.