ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-04-10, 08:06 PM

SpaceKadet is on a distinguished road
Question Adderall inducing coma like sleep... Metanx?

Alright, this may be long winded and boring...my apologies ahead of time. Originally was diagnosed with ADD when i was 16 years old. Was prescribed Adderall and took it til i was 20 yrs old (didnt take it regularly after highschool) Im 25 now..and for the last 5 yrs I have tried to manage my ADD on my own through self help books, reading tons of material on adult ADD managment etc etc... The stigma of being diagnosed and medicated for what some believe to be a "make believe" disorder kind of drove me towards getting off my meds..but now looking back, I can see where and why my life seemed to take a nosedive. Getting off of Adderall basically ruined me. All those impulsive feelings and thoughts and aggression came back tenfold; i began using lots of drugs, engaging in risky behavior and lost a lot of friends and an amazing boyfriend in the process. And all of my intimate relationships afterwards i met with indifference..like i didnt care. Have had a hard time feeling or vocalizing empathy even tho i know i am a compassionate person deep down. So you see, i do believe the meds helped me in ALL areas of life.

Recently i enrolled into a vocational school. Have not been in ANY type of learning establishment since Highschool..thought i would be able to handle it, this was a subject that interested me, and im 25 yrs old for gods sake! I was wrong. How ridiculous it is to be "getting in trouble" during a lecture for disrupting others during the class when I'm supposedly an adult. And the frustration of not being able to retain any of the information made me feel really shamed. I almost dropped out but decided to suck up my pride and schedule an appt with the doctor instead.

This was a new doctor than the one who originally diagnosed me...I didnt remember the dose i was previously prescribed as a teen, just knew it was an XR in the morning and an IR hard tab take as needed in afternoon. Doc went ahead and just prescribed me 30mg XR in morning.
My life has done a complete 360...Amazing! the difference can be seen in me in all areas. I sit still during lectures, participate, and have organized my studies and life. I have plans...I make them and see them through. I think before i speak, I feel empathetic to situations, and broach things with people in a more sensitive manner. Im full of smiles and patience...and i dont have a thousand thoughts swimming around in my head screaming for attention. Dont have to read, and reread a page, paragraph or chapter just because a noise, or voice or something minute in distraction thru me completely off course. i FEEL normal. its not some miracle, i still have to work on keeping completely on task but im not jarred off course indefinitly...im able to pick myself up, brush myself off and get back to it...with ONE problem.

After the XR wears off (around 4 or 5 pm) i begin to feel tired...sometimes im able to fall asleep the rest of the night. Usually i force my lids open until a reasonable time like 9 or 10. (before meds i used to have horrible insomnia and would stay awake til 4 or 5 am) so oddly enough, adderall is putting me to bed at an earlier hour, BUT the sleep is SO DEEP, so relaxing that i have a hard time hearing my alarm in the morning. Like im in some sort of coma or something. NO matter WHAT time i go to bed, even if its at a ridiculous time like 5 in the afternoon, I have a hell of a time waking up in the morning. But once i do wake up, and pop the adderall im fine, not sleepy, or groggy...perfection all over again. The problem is waking up to take it.

Scheduled another appt with doc, it was time for my refill anyway, told him the issues. He seemed to understand...at first. I told him that in yrs past i was prescribed two doses of adderall (the take as needed IR in the afternoon) and i used to never have a problem waking up back then. Told him i thought maybe it was the extended time being off of adderall since it faded in early afternoon...maybe it was my body withdrawing from the meds that induced such a crazy deep state of sleep and grogginess. maybe if i had some remenants of adderall in my system during bedtime i wouldnt be in such a deep slumber? It was my uneducated guess at a suggestion to him, made sense in my head, and i wasnt having ANY trouble getting to sleep with the adderall anyway, so i figured no harm.

Doc kind of wasnt buying it, said that i was already prescribed a very high dose of adderall (im pretty sure this dose is well under what i was originally prescribed) and that he doesnt think it would be wise to give me anymore. Maybe i shouldnt have suggested another dose of adderall to him? I dont know, really I am open to anything that will help keep me from having trouble waking up in morning. Instead he had his nurse bring in 6 day sample of MetanX.... ummm ok? told me to take in the morning in place of adderall morning dose, then take my adderall midday.

The next day, i did as told. Awful...could not concentrate during my class, felt a looming upset..like something bad was going to happen. Felt anxious..and tired. Kind of wanted to cry..went home for lunch and took my adderall because i could not take it anymore...and i know it wasnt the lack of adderall in my system giving me these feelings. I try to not take my adderall on weekends or days i know i can have a lazy day. NOT the same feelings as withdrawl from adderall. Took my adderall expecting to feel better within a couple hours...no. My adderall never kicked in. Almost like the MetanX counteracted it completely. The whole day, was horrible for me. Came home and went to bed depressed. Oh and i forgot to mention my hands and fingers had become SO painfully swollen as well. THe next day i decided not to discount the MetanX just yet. Maybe it was a fluke..all in my head? THis time i switched it up, took adderall in AM MetanX in afternoon. The morning was ok...Adderall seemed to be much more dull then usual, kind of still felt a mental fog from the day before but much better, not so negative at least. As soon as i took MetanX tho, same thing, Adderall, completely nullified, felt so incredibly tired, groggy and felt an unknown mental upset and my fingers got so swollen, this ring that is normally so loose on me that it falls off, was basically glued on my finger. i could not take it off!
Researched MetanX later, found that its ususally prescribed for patients with DIABETES?! I dont have diabetes..why would doc prescribe this to me?? Still, kept an open mind and continued research, everyone seems to rave about this drug and how much it has helped them for whatever, saw no bad effects from people so im kind of dumbstruck. Noticed it has an abundance of B12 and Folic Acid so its not something too chemically daunting, basically just a super vitamin dietary supplement that is so strong it must be prescribed but still.. B12 and Folic Acid?? I need these right?? Certainly these cant be giving me adverse reactions??
I stopped taking the MetanX sample but Im afraid to tell doc about how bad this really affected me...I think maybe he thought i was trying to push more adderall on him which is not the case...as i said, open to ANYTHING. Still, Im curious as to why he prescribed MetanX to me...or what he was expecting...

Has anyone else heard of this being prescribed alongside Adderall or any other ADD medication??

Again, sorry for the lifestory...just wanted to get it all on the table for any possible responses.. thank you.
Old 09-04-10, 10:01 PM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about
Re: Adderall inducing coma like sleep... Metanx?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKadet View Post
Alright, this may be long winded and boring...my apologies ahead of time. Originally was diagnosed with ADD when i was 16 years old. Was prescribed Adderall and took it til i was 20 yrs old (didnt take it regularly after highschool) Im 25 now..and for the last 5 yrs I have tried to manage my ADD on my own through self help books, reading tons of material on adult ADD managment etc etc... The stigma of being diagnosed and medicated for what some believe to be a "make believe" disorder kind of drove me towards getting off my meds..but now looking back, I can see where and why my life seemed to take a nosedive. Getting off of Adderall basically ruined me. All those impulsive feelings and thoughts and aggression came back tenfold; i began using lots of drugs, engaging in risky behavior and lost a lot of friends and an amazing boyfriend in the process. And all of my intimate relationships afterwards i met with indifference..like i didnt care. Have had a hard time feeling or vocalizing empathy even tho i know i am a compassionate person deep down. So you see, i do believe the meds helped me in ALL areas of life.

Recently i enrolled into a vocational school. Have not been in ANY type of learning establishment since Highschool..thought i would be able to handle it, this was a subject that interested me, and im 25 yrs old for gods sake! I was wrong. How ridiculous it is to be "getting in trouble" during a lecture for disrupting others during the class when I'm supposedly an adult. And the frustration of not being able to retain any of the information made me feel really shamed. I almost dropped out but decided to suck up my pride and schedule an appt with the doctor instead.

This was a new doctor than the one who originally diagnosed me...I didnt remember the dose i was previously prescribed as a teen, just knew it was an XR in the morning and an IR hard tab take as needed in afternoon. Doc went ahead and just prescribed me 30mg XR in morning.
My life has done a complete 360...Amazing! the difference can be seen in me in all areas. I sit still during lectures, participate, and have organized my studies and life. I have plans...I make them and see them through. I think before i speak, I feel empathetic to situations, and broach things with people in a more sensitive manner. Im full of smiles and patience...and i dont have a thousand thoughts swimming around in my head screaming for attention. Dont have to read, and reread a page, paragraph or chapter just because a noise, or voice or something minute in distraction thru me completely off course. i FEEL normal. its not some miracle, i still have to work on keeping completely on task but im not jarred off course indefinitly...im able to pick myself up, brush myself off and get back to it...with ONE problem.

After the XR wears off (around 4 or 5 pm) i begin to feel tired...sometimes im able to fall asleep the rest of the night. Usually i force my lids open until a reasonable time like 9 or 10. (before meds i used to have horrible insomnia and would stay awake til 4 or 5 am) so oddly enough, adderall is putting me to bed at an earlier hour, BUT the sleep is SO DEEP, so relaxing that i have a hard time hearing my alarm in the morning. Like im in some sort of coma or something. NO matter WHAT time i go to bed, even if its at a ridiculous time like 5 in the afternoon, I have a hell of a time waking up in the morning. But once i do wake up, and pop the adderall im fine, not sleepy, or groggy...perfection all over again. The problem is waking up to take it.

Scheduled another appt with doc, it was time for my refill anyway, told him the issues. He seemed to understand...at first. I told him that in yrs past i was prescribed two doses of adderall (the take as needed IR in the afternoon) and i used to never have a problem waking up back then. Told him i thought maybe it was the extended time being off of adderall since it faded in early afternoon...maybe it was my body withdrawing from the meds that induced such a crazy deep state of sleep and grogginess. maybe if i had some remenants of adderall in my system during bedtime i wouldnt be in such a deep slumber? It was my uneducated guess at a suggestion to him, made sense in my head, and i wasnt having ANY trouble getting to sleep with the adderall anyway, so i figured no harm.

Doc kind of wasnt buying it, said that i was already prescribed a very high dose of adderall (im pretty sure this dose is well under what i was originally prescribed) and that he doesnt think it would be wise to give me anymore. Maybe i shouldnt have suggested another dose of adderall to him? I dont know, really I am open to anything that will help keep me from having trouble waking up in morning. Instead he had his nurse bring in 6 day sample of MetanX.... ummm ok? told me to take in the morning in place of adderall morning dose, then take my adderall midday.

The next day, i did as told. Awful...could not concentrate during my class, felt a looming upset..like something bad was going to happen. Felt anxious..and tired. Kind of wanted to cry..went home for lunch and took my adderall because i could not take it anymore...and i know it wasnt the lack of adderall in my system giving me these feelings. I try to not take my adderall on weekends or days i know i can have a lazy day. NOT the same feelings as withdrawl from adderall. Took my adderall expecting to feel better within a couple hours...no. My adderall never kicked in. Almost like the MetanX counteracted it completely. The whole day, was horrible for me. Came home and went to bed depressed. Oh and i forgot to mention my hands and fingers had become SO painfully swollen as well. THe next day i decided not to discount the MetanX just yet. Maybe it was a fluke..all in my head? THis time i switched it up, took adderall in AM MetanX in afternoon. The morning was ok...Adderall seemed to be much more dull then usual, kind of still felt a mental fog from the day before but much better, not so negative at least. As soon as i took MetanX tho, same thing, Adderall, completely nullified, felt so incredibly tired, groggy and felt an unknown mental upset and my fingers got so swollen, this ring that is normally so loose on me that it falls off, was basically glued on my finger. i could not take it off!
Researched MetanX later, found that its ususally prescribed for patients with DIABETES?! I dont have diabetes..why would doc prescribe this to me?? Still, kept an open mind and continued research, everyone seems to rave about this drug and how much it has helped them for whatever, saw no bad effects from people so im kind of dumbstruck. Noticed it has an abundance of B12 and Folic Acid so its not something too chemically daunting, basically just a super vitamin dietary supplement that is so strong it must be prescribed but still.. B12 and Folic Acid?? I need these right?? Certainly these cant be giving me adverse reactions??
I stopped taking the MetanX sample but Im afraid to tell doc about how bad this really affected me...I think maybe he thought i was trying to push more adderall on him which is not the case...as i said, open to ANYTHING. Still, Im curious as to why he prescribed MetanX to me...or what he was expecting...

Has anyone else heard of this being prescribed alongside Adderall or any other ADD medication??

Again, sorry for the lifestory...just wanted to get it all on the table for any possible responses.. thank you.
I can relate, and have experienced similar symptoms to what you have described, however its doubtful that its the adderall doing this to you. Rather, its probably due to the Adderall stimulating during the day and keeping it all in check, allowing you to do what you normally didn't, or could not due, therefore when you sleep your body and mind are tired. Getting up in the AM is always going to be a problem, and be glad you don't have the usual insomnia that pokes its head, especially with the XR at random annoying times. You mentioned that your life took nosedive, and all the things you once again starting doing. Seeing, or actually realizing how we are with, and without the medication is really hard to do, and often takes others to point it out and get the reflection process kicked off or in gear. Then it becomes clear, and being able to see the marked change is amazingly clear. Often when on the medication, it may seem its not working, or not doing what its supposed to do, when this happens to me I simply ask myself how I would be, or was before and how I am now and it puts it in perspective. Medication does help to manage the symptoms, but it never really treats or takes it away, and when coming off the medication they seem to rear their head again but its often more difficult to deal with them due to they have been suppressed for so long by the medication, and falling back to old coping mechanisms is second nature, and it becomes a endless loop over, and over, until its broken again and action taken. Thinking to much about it, and agonizing over the details of this, or that with details will drive you crazy, and likely cause some serious anxiety. I always find it helpful to switch up my routine frequently, and not dwell on negative people, or things around me that will bring me down, or put me in a place I don't want to be.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
Old 09-04-10, 11:44 PM

SpaceKadet is on a distinguished road

Yes..definitly able to see marked change. Like I said, Adderall has helped me in all facets of life. Was a huge mistake to get off of it in the first place. Always working at it though..not a complete fix..but I'm thrilled with my improvement thus far. So this is why I'd like to stay on Adderall and fix this sleep issue. As for the exhausted mind/body from being on overdrive...well, I really wish it was as simple as that. The sleep I get now is amazingly restful..but its SO deep that when and if I do wake, it feels as though I am drugged. Like trying to force myself awake after taking a whole bunch of sleeping pills. I dont hear my alarm, I sleep right through it most of the time..went out and bought a new one with a wail so loud it could wake up the neighborhood...nothing...still snoozing...i have my phone on my pillow right next to my ear and I will either sleep through phone calls or answer them and have a conversation with someone without realizing it. NOT EVEN JOKING. I looked in my phone log the other day and had a 15 min conversation with an ex boyfriend who called me at 7 in the morning (i had asked him for a wake up call the day before) GOD KNOWS what I said..i figured he had forgot to call and wake me up, but when i saw the call log and saw he did infact call me and we were on the phone for 15 min I was baffled. Called him later to ask him about it, and he was cracking up telling me I sounded so out of it and was talking ridiculous nonsense to him. Said he thought i was just being cute and that surely if i was able to keep talking to him for that long i was awake but i have NO recollection of this phone call. I also discovered the other day that Fedex also called me in the morning about a package Im assuming..was on the phone with them for 8 minutes...cant even imagine the laughs that dialogue must have received..Family members, friends, anyone who calls me in the morning is getting an earful of nonsense...as i am NOT awake...i DO NOT realize..and its just a really weird state that i am in at that time. I have my pills right by my bed but if i am in a daze and not awake or coherant the simple task of opening the bottle and taking them is so hard...been waking up so late because of this. getting to school at late hours. It really isnt something as simple as being mentally exhausted...i feel the exhertion i put throughout the day, though much more than what i was mentally capable of before, is not anything to tire me out so much that i should feel as though ive popped a whole bunch of Quaaludes. This to me seems like prolonged withdrawl...not having taken another dose of Adderall in the last 24 hours (since i only take it once a day) It is very reminiscent of when I stopped taking it yrs ago cold turkey.. i felt drugged and despondent..groggy, felt as if i was highly sedated. I have never EVER in my life had issues with sleep walking...sleep paralysis...or being completely unaware of my actions in a half awake sleep without having taken some drugs to induce such a mess. So this to me is quite frightening..and it needs to be resolved. I thought the quick fix was to put me on another smaller dose of IR Adderall in the afternoon (as had been my dose doling when i was younger)..Doctor apparently saw differently...Im at a loss as to how to rectify this, but it needs to be fixed soon. Open to anything as i said, does not have to be Adderall..MetanX obviously is not the fix..but like i said, afraid to bring up the extra dose of adderall to my doc again as he seemed kind of agitated at my suggestion..maybe because i was so quick to suggest it, but i just remember what worked well for me last time. Im not looking for a quick script, more adderall, etc etc...hell, it doesnt even have to be a stimulant..im asking for help in keeping me from being a complete zombie in the crucial hours of the morning when im supposed to be preparing for my day. Any input or help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-10, 04:11 AM
Contributor

dbellca82 has a spectacular aura aboutdbellca82 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceKadet View Post
Yes..definitly able to see marked change. Like I said, Adderall has helped me in all facets of life. Was a huge mistake to get off of it in the first place. Always working at it though..not a complete fix..but I'm thrilled with my improvement thus far. So this is why I'd like to stay on Adderall and fix this sleep issue. As for the exhausted mind/body from being on overdrive...well, I really wish it was as simple as that. The sleep I get now is amazingly restful..but its SO deep that when and if I do wake, it feels as though I am drugged. Like trying to force myself awake after taking a whole bunch of sleeping pills. I dont hear my alarm, I sleep right through it most of the time..went out and bought a new one with a wail so loud it could wake up the neighborhood...nothing...still snoozing...i have my phone on my pillow right next to my ear and I will either sleep through phone calls or answer them and have a conversation with someone without realizing it. NOT EVEN JOKING. I looked in my phone log the other day and had a 15 min conversation with an ex boyfriend who called me at 7 in the morning (i had asked him for a wake up call the day before) GOD KNOWS what I said..i figured he had forgot to call and wake me up, but when i saw the call log and saw he did infact call me and we were on the phone for 15 min I was baffled. Called him later to ask him about it, and he was cracking up telling me I sounded so out of it and was talking ridiculous nonsense to him. Said he thought i was just being cute and that surely if i was able to keep talking to him for that long i was awake but i have NO recollection of this phone call. I also discovered the other day that Fedex also called me in the morning about a package Im assuming..was on the phone with them for 8 minutes...cant even imagine the laughs that dialogue must have received..Family members, friends, anyone who calls me in the morning is getting an earful of nonsense...as i am NOT awake...i DO NOT realize..and its just a really weird state that i am in at that time. I have my pills right by my bed but if i am in a daze and not awake or coherant the simple task of opening the bottle and taking them is so hard...been waking up so late because of this. getting to school at late hours. It really isnt something as simple as being mentally exhausted...i feel the exhertion i put throughout the day, though much more than what i was mentally capable of before, is not anything to tire me out so much that i should feel as though ive popped a whole bunch of Quaaludes. This to me seems like prolonged withdrawl...not having taken another dose of Adderall in the last 24 hours (since i only take it once a day) It is very reminiscent of when I stopped taking it yrs ago cold turkey.. i felt drugged and despondent..groggy, felt as if i was highly sedated. I have never EVER in my life had issues with sleep walking...sleep paralysis...or being completely unaware of my actions in a half awake sleep without having taken some drugs to induce such a mess. So this to me is quite frightening..and it needs to be resolved. I thought the quick fix was to put me on another smaller dose of IR Adderall in the afternoon (as had been my dose doling when i was younger)..Doctor apparently saw differently...Im at a loss as to how to rectify this, but it needs to be fixed soon. Open to anything as i said, does not have to be Adderall..MetanX obviously is not the fix..but like i said, afraid to bring up the extra dose of adderall to my doc again as he seemed kind of agitated at my suggestion..maybe because i was so quick to suggest it, but i just remember what worked well for me last time. Im not looking for a quick script, more adderall, etc etc...hell, it doesnt even have to be a stimulant..im asking for help in keeping me from being a complete zombie in the crucial hours of the morning when im supposed to be preparing for my day. Any input or help is greatly appreciated
OK, I just noticed that you stated the long length between doses, and withdrawal. One of the main things that happens, to myself atleast when stopping the medication is being extremely tired as you mentioned, and it usually lasts because I am in general a tired person. Ha, you know what type of alarm clock I used to have? I had the one that the lamp hooked into, with a lout siren, plus this vibrator thing under the pillow with all three going off at once, which is what it used to take to wake me up because I was such as heavy sleeper. Still currently whenever I wake in the morning I am frequently needing a kick to get going, and I mean in the mind because if the mind is not firing, then the body is not either. Lately, I have been waiting until mid morning to take my medication, then early afternoon with second to equally spread through the day, and not be reliant on my medication to get me going. Sometimes this does not work out to well though, because I will fall back asleep trying to get ready, or leave, lol. Good luck, I am interested in what happens, or what you find success with, keep me posted.

1 mg methylphenidate = 0.5 mg D-amphetamine = 0.5 - 0.75 mg Adderall

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry, alcohol is a solution.
Old 09-15-10, 08:31 AM
ADDvanced Member

dusty1 will become famous soon enough

I'm off to dig around some more but I took one tiny 5mg dose yesterday - was tired around 4-5pm but then perked up a bit but was ready for bed by 10. I am normally up till 1am. It was like my brain had simply no more thoughts to race around and was ready to close for the day LOL.

I have a child with a medical condition so I was up at 12 to check on him but then slept the rest of the night like I haven't slept in ages. But I feel completely drugged out this morning, like I didn't sleep at all. Could it be that this is actually preventing us from getting a good night sleep - we're sleeping but not restfully?

or could it simply be that we're adjusting to the medication?
Effexor xr 75mg, Adderall XR 25mg; celexa; lexapro; wellbutrin