ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 03-21-11, 01:58 PM

franklinBen is on a distinguished road
Not sure whether my experience with Adderall so far is common or not...

So I was finally diagnosed a couple months ago with general ADD/ADHD (the Doc just listened to what I said and said I have it and gave me medicine, but personally can tell I have the inattentive type, so not the hyperactive kind). I have had it for as long as I can remember (at least to before middle school, so I have either had it my whole life or at least a majority of it). I am 24 now, and male.

I was actually originally prescribed Strattera, but after reading all the side effects and things online about how most people are just zombies on it instead of it working, I decided I did not want to try it (mostly because of the side effects though, the list looked way too long and more severe compared to other options). So I haven't tried Strattera, and I am pretty sure the Doc said he went with that one first because their office doesn't like prescribing Stimulant medications, not for any other particular reasons.

I waited a while, because I assumed I couldn't try anything else from them, but gave it another chance after 2-3 months. Went back in and talked with the Doc about it and he went ahead and gave me a script for 10mg Adderall XR. This would be my first experience on Adderall for the most part. I had used a friends Adderall XR 4 or 5 times before, but it was 25mg and was way too much, so the 3rd, 4th, and 5th times I broke it down into smaller amounts, even though its impossible to know whether you are splitting the salts correctly or not, I didn't know that at the time. I also tried another friend's Vyvanse, and it worked well, but the crash afterwards was more than I experienced on the 25mg of Adderall, so wasn't too fond of that. The XR didn't live up to its expectations, and because of this, I wanted to try the IR kind. So the next month went back to the doc and got a script this time for 10mg IR, then the month after I got it upped to 20mg, even though I only wanted to try 15mg if it was possible.

As for my thoughts/experiences, etc...:

I feel like Adderall IR works better for me than XR from my experience with it so far. But then again I could be wrong. I say this because my initial experience with XR was that it didn't work for very long, and the second dose never seemed to show up. The second or extended release dose was always a bit of a worry for me anyway, because I read that it gets ingested/absorbed in the intestines, and I have had stomach/digestive system issues/problems since I was 16. This has never been diagnosed or looked into because I can't afford to have any tests run or anything, and my parents had the mindset that if they couldn't visibly see something wrong with you, then you weren't sick, which is why nothing was ever really done until I got to college and somewhat on my own, including the diagnosis of ADD.

But that was also when I thought the pill was supposed to last for 12 hours, which apparently it doesn't. I mention this because with IR it doesn't seem to work as long as suggested either. I am lucky to get around 5 hours of positive benefits from IR, although usually it is closer to 4 hours before I have to take a second dose, so because of this variation I try to take the second pill 4.5 hours after the first, and after some food has been digested (such as lunch). From what I have read, vitamin C and citric acids should be avoided, and you shouldn't eat 30 mins before taking Adderall or 1 hour afterwards. Hopefully I have that stuff correct.

Also, I am not judging its effectiveness based on how I feel, I base it on whether I am actually being productive and doing the things that I do when the Adderall is in full swing. After about 4 hours, I don't seem to have any more left in my system, and if I wait to long, I get kind of '...meh'-like. I also notice if I don't eat quite a bit and some variety, I can get very zombie-like. It is almost like a trance, I just stare at the screen or whatever it is that I am doing, and show no emotion, don't really move much, if someone talks to me I give as short of answers as possible, sometimes I just mumble 'mmm' or 'huh' or something along those lines, because the zombie state I am in makes it so I don't even want to talk or be talked to. Almost like I am in some zone or trance state. I am not sure why this happens, but I am assuming it has something to do with food intake. (I have managed to get tested for Diabetes because about 5 or so different people within the medical field from different instances told me I should be checked for it because I showed multiple symptoms for it, but they came back negative, so still not sure what is wrong with me).

I also notice that some days I can get quite irritable on Adderall. At first I thought it just came on days where I didn't get enough sleep the night before (which I have never sleep very well, again, not sure why because I can't afford to get it looked into), but after a while I have seen that the days I don't get enough sleep are the days that I can get very irritable, and other days I just get mildly irritable. I know that I can be irritable by nature occasionally off of Adderall, but it is rare and never really shows much or is anything major, just minor pet peeve kind of things. But on Adderall it is more noticeable, and seems to happen a bit more often. It seems every neighboring apartment has a little yapper-dog, and my roommates are apparently the loudest eaters in the world, or so my Adderall seems to make me think. The dogs bother me from time to time whether I am on the medicine or not, but it is more noticeable when I am on it, and the fact that someone's normal chewing can annoy me sometimes when on Adderall, makes me worry a bit. Not sure what the cause or reason is, so hopefully you guys can shed some insight.

I wanted Adderall to work, and help be an answer to a lot of issues/problems I run into, but apparently there is a lot more that needs to be diagnosed for me than just the ADD. The more I check into it, the more it seems I have had some form of chronic depression, but not a very heavy one, just one that makes me apathetic and avoidable by nature. I have been this way for as long as I can remember as well, so I feel like that needs to be looked into as well. Hopefully I can find a cheap alternative to a psychiatrist or something similar, because I feel this needs to be looked into soon preferably. Before I realized this, I thought I just needed something to make me get up and go/do, and I thought Adderall was just the thing I needed, but when it wasn't doing all the things I was hoping it would, made me realize there is more to it than just simple inattentive ADD.

Back on topic, I am currently still on the 20mg IR, however I have been breaking them in half lately (this past week). This is because I kind of went into a somewhat depressive state for about 2 weeks, and had a lot of things going downhill in my life, money problems, etc, so there was a lot of buildup so I took some time off of Adderall. So it was about a 2 week layoff, and I didn't think re-introducing my body to Adderall with 20mg was a good idea, so I have been taking 10mg doses so far. I have been back on it for a few days now, and hopefully it will help with my sleep cycle as well, although I do seem to get insomnia a bit more than usual because of the Adderall (I have always been a night owl, preferred bedtime for my body is usually 2 or 3 am, and waking up prior to 9am is a serious chore/pain to do). However if I take a day off of Adderall, I feel like I could sleep all day, or at least a majority of it.

----------------------

I am stopping myself here because I feel I am starting to ramble. If I remember or think of more important info, etc. I will respond accordingly, but for right now I am hoping this is good enough. I just don't know how much of this stuff is common for Adderall users, and how much is not. Any insight as to things I might be doing wrong, things that might help me, whether or not I should consider a different alternative than Adderall, etc, etc., any input on any of these or anything else is appreciated, because I am still somewhat unsure about a fair amount of stuff when it comes to Adderall and treating my ADD. Thanks.
Old 03-21-11, 03:13 PM

franklinBen is on a distinguished road
Re: Not sure whether my experience with Adderall so far is common or not...

I also wanted to say that I feel like I have to eat constantly while on Adderall (even though it suppresses my hunger) in order to avoid crashing, zombie mode, general run-down feeling, etc. It is like no matter what I eat, or how much I eat (even full meals), if I don't eat or snack on something at least every 2 hours, then I start to begin the decline. Is this normal at all?
Old 07-08-11, 06:52 PM

nolagirl70 is on a distinguished road

i notice if i starting thinking that i need to eat to avoid crash, edginess....that i binge.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-11, 07:30 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,464 Times in 13,374 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Xr never cut it for me. It took forever to work and stopped working fast. I now dose frequently through the day with ir. It gives me control and flexibility and I know exactly when the next dose is needed.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following User Says Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (03-15-17)
Old 07-08-11, 08:14 PM

nolagirl70 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahsweets View Post
Xr never cut it for me. It took forever to work and stopped working fast. I now dose frequently through the day with ir. It gives me control and flexibility and I know exactly when the next dose is needed.

so....i'm on 25mg xr....what would that equate to with ir? the costs of xr is killing me.
Old 07-09-11, 12:06 AM

Blessed08_03 will become famous soon enough

I read your post and I posted something similar a few weeks back actually. I began to experience some negative side effects that I thought was possibly the medication.

I, too hoped Adderall would do wonders for me. You always hear how wonderful this drug is and how desired it is. It has helped me tremendously, this is true, but the negative side effects I am feeling at the dose I need to be at is similar to your complaints. I get the "zombie-like" mode. I get the occasional depression, the aggression, the anxiety etc. Like you, I have sleep issues that are unrelated to the adderall. I would also experience a loss of interest. One minute im working on something and a second later I dont want to be doing what im doing anymore, and anything I can think of to do doesnt interest me in the slightest. This can last just a few minutes to hours.

I experienced some of these side effects at lowers doses, but they were mild and few and far between. The benefits out weighed the negatives at that point. Now im at the point of looking into a different medication. If I can find something that helps me as much as adderall has with less side effects that would be wonderful.

I just wanted you to know that I am experiencing these things too and you are not alone. I thought maybe it was me and not the medication, and while I knew something wasnt right with me I couldnt pint point what it was. A big wake up call for me was one day I took only 1/2 of my morning dose, didnt take my afternoon dose and had a beer with pizza that evening and I had feelings. I felt happy, like actually had an emotion. I then realized that it had been a while since I had or felt any emotion.

This is why I now take either 10mg or 15mg in the am, and wait about 5 hours to take my afternoon dose of 5mg or 10mg of Adderall IR. I cut way back. I feel like I benefit the most at 20mg AM and 15mg in the afternoon, but the negative side effects are more present if I take that much. So this is what I have to deal with until my dr switches me to something else. I may come back to adderall because it really does help me with my focus, concentration, memory etc.

Just be careful, after taking the 20mg doses for 3 days I became very depressed. I even began to have suicidal thoughts, thinking my husband and children would be better off if i wasnt in their lives. Thinking my husband could start over and pick someone better, that I would be doing every one a favor. Im glad I lowered my dose just to see if these feelings were truly mine, and low and behold those thoughts went away with less medication. Dont automatically think there is something wrong with you if Adderall doesnt work for you. Its disappointing, i know, that whats suppose to be the best medication isnt working for you, but hang in there. It may still work for you, but it sounds like to me you need to adjust your dose at the very least.

message me anytime if you need to talk!

Blessed
The Following User Says Thank You to Blessed08_03 For This Useful Post:
rMeghann (11-02-12)
Old 09-13-11, 06:57 PM

lesska22 is on a distinguished road

I can relate a little... I read the first half of your post and the second half I sort of skimmed through I was also diagnosed a bit over two months ago, and I too think I'm ADHD-PI (a term I learned on this site, along with many other things) Vyvanse made me think negative thought, made me think my husband was sneaking around with his boss and right after that thought I thought, oh well, I probably deserve it. Adderall hasn't given me too many bad side effects. I don't think. I do get irritated with my kids and am sometimes short-tempered but that comes and and has been that way for years. I started out with IR and liked it much better but 2 doses a day only lasted me through mid-afternoon. Then I was put on XR and not only couldn't feel much to begin with couldn't really tell when it kicked in, when the second part kicked in and how long it all lasted. It's supposed to be more mellow but it doesn't help me. I think I might just need 3 doses of IR. Right now I'm trying Dexedrine and my first fill is the XR capsules. It's a low dosage and I'm not feeling much either. I might try the IR of this med to see if that works and if not switch back to Adderall IR. I've had many people on here tell me to give it time, it takes a while to figure out what med and dosage works. I also see some people mix a couple of meds too and since each med/dose needs to be given a fair amount of time to see if it works and for the side effects to subside I'm thinking it'll be a few months till we figure out what works for us. So get ready to spend some more $$ but I'm hoping it'll be all worth it in the end...
The Following User Says Thank You to lesska22 For This Useful Post:
Lizzie80 (03-15-17)