ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 09-08-11, 10:53 PM

TheJaredwhat is on a distinguished road
Do normal people feel this way?

This is my first full day on adderall. I took 35mg of long lasting in the morning, and a 10mg of short lasting at around 4pm.

Schools over and I got a ton of stuff done today, which I'm glad. But now that I'm home and too low energy to do anything productive, I'm sort of empty minded.

It's weird feeling, there's like nothing going through my head right now. No random thoughts, ideas, feelings. It's just sort of blank..

Is this what most non-add people feel/think like? I'm not really sure what to make of it.
Old 09-08-11, 10:56 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Thanked 1,165 Times in 553 Posts
selita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud ofselita has much to be proud of
Re: Do normal people feel this way?

Why do you think Dancing with the Stars is so popular?
BR549 (09-08-11), collegewriter (09-11-11), ginniebean (09-09-11), Macavity224 (09-09-11), NotaMidget (09-09-11), ponychompers (09-09-11), tambourine-man (09-09-11), tipoo (09-09-11), Urgezz (09-09-11)
Old 09-08-11, 11:48 PM
Moderator of all seasons

Thanked 16,135 Times in 8,154 Posts
anonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond reputeanonymouslyadd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJaredwhat View Post
It's weird feeling, there's like nothing going through my head right now. No random thoughts, ideas, feelings. It's just sort of blank..
I can remember my ex-wife talking about her mind being blank. I couldn't understand how that was possible. I can understand it now, knowing about ADD.
Old 09-09-11, 09:00 AM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by selita View Post
Why do you think Dancing with the Stars is so popular?
I think this is the smartest thing I've ever read on these boards.
ginniebean (09-09-11), selita (09-09-11)
Old 09-09-11, 09:22 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,463 Times in 13,373 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Normal is a dirty word

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
karbouris (09-09-11), TheJaredwhat (09-14-11)
Old 09-09-11, 10:21 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,475 Times in 780 Posts
tipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant futuretipoo has a brilliant future

I feel that way on ritalin sometimes. I finish my work for the day, then when I step back and relax I get moments of "Whoa, there's nothing going on in my brain". Didn't happen much or at all without ritalin. Since I've never been one of these "normal" people, I can't tell you if its how they usually feel, but I've heard the same thing from several other ADD'ers on meds. Some have said the zombie feeling goes away with time and you eventually realize that its normal, and the meds just stopped your thoughts from zooming around like ping pong balls.
Old 09-09-11, 10:57 AM
ADDvanced Member

hoolio has a spectacular aura abouthoolio has a spectacular aura about

I just started Vyvanse recently and although I am still on a very low dose (appointment next week and likely increase then) I found the first few days I would have moments (or short periods of time) like that.

I also thought it was weird and felt foreign to me to not have all that "stuff" in my head...

I remember I asked my "adopted mom" that I live with (rather incredulously I might add)... "Is this how all you normal people are all day... just walking around with NOTHING going on up there?!?!" lol.
PM: Seroquel (generic Quetiapine) 100-300 mg (100 titrating to 300) _ _. Previous Rx's: Citalopram, Effexor, Trazadone, Diazepam, Imovane
Old 09-09-11, 11:52 AM

NotaMidget is on a distinguished road

Lets consider for a moment the fact that it's your first day on Adderall after being prescribed and you've taken 35mg XR followed by 10mg IR at 4pm. - Does this seem like to much for someone who's on their first day taking said medication? (Not sure if your mentioning of having a full day on Adderall indicated that you've had other half/quarter days, but I digress). - Given that we're all different people who have different reactions to all kinds of medication, relative towards what we put in our bodies(and how our bodies go about handling them) it stands to reason that not all of us will feel the same way upon taking Adderall. I've been on Adderall for roughly 3 months now and there hasn't been a moment to which I recall my mind being completely devoid of thought. - Do you mean normal in the sense of our inherent individualism and how those of similar backgrounds, likes, and dislikes tend to mingle with those of us whom share commonality, or are you directing the question towards a seemingly unidentifiable social structure of which many people reference when speaking about what is/isn't "normal"?. (If it's the former, then there should be many types of normal, no?) - *Slowly takes a puff off his telgi cigar*
Old 09-09-11, 04:13 PM
ADDvanced Member

Urgezz will become famous soon enough

^what he/she said lol

and... no, normal people don't feel that way because what you actually mean is "non medicated" people. yes, adderall is a prescription medication that is effective at treating certain mental conditions.... AND it's pharmaceutical speed. what goes UP, must come down (to varying degrees based on everything mentioned above!)

to answer your question: i have absolutely felt that effect before. it's not a frequent or consistent thing, but your mind is not just slowed down from the racing state, it's literally BLANK. i realized this as i was going to bed one night. usually i'm thinking about the next day, or the last TV episode i watched, or just ANYTHING. well that night, nope. just blackness. additionally, when im going to sleep, ive grown into a habit of letting hypnogenic imagery (those swirlies of color when you close your eyes) guide me to sleep. they usually swirl for a while then turn into actual objects and places as you start dreaming. well that night... endless swirls for an hour lol

go figure.
Old 09-09-11, 04:51 PM
Jr Member

ponychompers is on a distinguished road

The first couple days on Ritalin, I was actually focused and getting stuff done, and felt way way calmer. But felt a bit "off." Like I didn't feel like myself, in a way that wasn't pleasant but I couldn't put my finger on what didn't feel like me, or why I thought it was unpleasant, for awhile. Then I realized it was because it felt "quiet" in my brain for the first time ever. I can understand why people compare it to feeling like a zombie. It does feel unnatural when you are used to so much noise going on up there!

I take adderall now and have that same feeling, calm and quiet brain when I am not actually working on one task. It's not bothersome to me now that I am used to it. When it wears off, I don't notice right way but the brain chatter kicks back in, and then it's back to 20 things at once, wheeee! Ugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to ponychompers For This Useful Post:
NotaMidget (09-09-11)
Old 09-09-11, 06:20 PM
Contributor

Macavity224 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponychompers View Post
The first couple days on Ritalin, I was actually focused and getting stuff done, and felt way way calmer. But felt a bit "off." Like I didn't feel like myself, in a way that wasn't pleasant but I couldn't put my finger on what didn't feel like me, or why I thought it was unpleasant, for awhile. Then I realized it was because it felt "quiet" in my brain for the first time ever. I can understand why people compare it to feeling like a zombie. It does feel unnatural when you are used to so much noise going on up there!

I take adderall now and have that same feeling, calm and quiet brain when I am not actually working on one task. It's not bothersome to me now that I am used to it. When it wears off, I don't notice right way but the brain chatter kicks back in, and then it's back to 20 things at once, wheeee! Ugh.
It's so hard to put your finger on it...it's like a massive paradox. When not on medication, it's like you're constantly thinking about crap, but when you are on medication, you're not thinking about anything...except the fact that you're not thinking about anything...which is still thinking about something.

@_@
Old 09-09-11, 11:14 PM

michaelc is on a distinguished road

I just started taking Adderall three to four weeks ago myself. The first few days I took 10mg 3x a day and it was too much for me. Went to 5 mg 3x a day per doctors instruction for about a week and then back up to 10 3x a day.

The first two weeks I took it every day and felt kind of out of sorts where things were kind of "quiet" and I wasn't too sure I liked that. I could really focus at work and get things accomplished though. I wouldn't say that I was empty minded, just not as much going on. Last weekend I decided to not take the meds for a couple of days. While driving down the road I realized that I was having all of these wonderful ideas and thoughts. Big difference!
The Following User Says Thank You to michaelc For This Useful Post:
TheJaredwhat (09-14-11)
Old 09-09-11, 11:28 PM

NotaMidget is on a distinguished road

"ssssshhhhh" Everything must remain silent....
Old 09-12-11, 07:39 PM

evansss is on a distinguished road

I dont know if this is relevant but when on meds I find I am not nearly as in tune with other's feelings as when I am not taking it. I am aware of this as it is happening, but it still happens none the less
Old 09-13-11, 03:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

anonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to beholdanonuser999 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the painful dichotomy of medicating Attention Deficit Disorder.
The Following User Says Thank You to anonuser999 For This Useful Post:
ginniebean (09-13-11)