ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > CO-EXISTING CONDITIONS > Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Anxiety Disorders, OCD & PTSD A forum to discuss Anxiety, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder, Panic Disorder, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Simple Phobias, and Social Anxiety Disorder

Old 04-02-18, 04:46 AM

Tinakayak is on a distinguished road
Question Anxiety and Depression treated with Strattera, has this worked for you?

I've sufered a pretty sever breakdown through situational stress/feelings of inadequacy when starting a new high pressured job with a design agency. The situation liften the wool on how much I actually struggle with ADHD and Dyslexia and Social anxiety daily. I had to leave and have since been out of work trying to get ontop of my mental health.

It's been a downward spiral since then. I've been on Sertraline (SSRI) for 6 months, with Concerta added in after 3, this regiment lasted about 8 days with the Concerta heightening my anxiety and I was experiencing crushing depression when it wore off. So much so that I couldn't even think about moving my body. The Sertraline was causing severe cognitive blunting and memory problems, and in turn increasing anxiety/depression.

So I took it upon myself to request from my psychiatrist that I stop both medications and trial Strattera. I'm currently on day 4/5 of 30mg of strattera whilst tapering down slowly from Sertraline. At about 20mg of Sert atm.

For a few days at 20mg my anxiety and depression lifted, I had some clarity and a tonne more energy. The former two returned after stepping up a dose, and the fog/dizziness has rolled back in too. At 30mg I feel emotionally unstable, I'm experiencing an overwhelming feeling of dread and subtle suicidal ideation (but I've experienced this on Sertraline when climbing the doses and I'm keeping an eye on it.

MY QUESTION TO YOU

So from what I've read within this forum and other sources, it's going to be a while before I notice any significant improvements in the form of ADHD, but for those of you that experience positives for anxiety and mood. How long before those were noticeable/consistent? And at what dosages?

Should I be concerned that at such a low dose these negative side effects are taking over, or from your experience did these abate with time? I'm worried that they are going to worsen.

Did your anxiety worsen on this med before it became effective?
Old 04-02-18, 12:18 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,535 Times in 844 Posts
finallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond reputefinallyfound10 has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Anxiety and Depression treated with Strattera, has this worked for you?

The depression brought on after Concerta wears off is horrific. It's more than depression. I'm glad you got off quickly. I stayed on it way too long. It's hard to tell if Straterra is helping with my mood since I'm on Wellbutrin too.

Some anti-depressants, seems more SSRI's, cause Suicidal Ideation in vulnerable people. Sometimes it passes as you stay on the med and your mood increases but if it doesn't, talk to your doc about a new med. There are a ton of them out there including SSNRI's which is a different class of anti-depressants.
Shame derives it's power from being unspeakable.
Shame corrodes the very part of us that believes we are capable of change.
Shame cannot survive being spoken. It can't survive empathy.

The Following User Says Thank You to finallyfound10 For This Useful Post:
Tinakayak (04-03-18)