ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-11, 06:21 AM
Jr Member

sheila065 is on a distinguished road
Left & Right......What's the deal

Does anyone else have a lifelong problem with identifying left and right without having to consciously figure it out. I've never (and I'm 50) been able to say "turn left" without figuring it out first. eg: making the L with my thumb and index finger. By that time we've missed the turn. So now I just point and say "go this way". I've had all kinds of problems with this all of my life. I feel like an idiot at times. Anyone else have problems with this?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sheila065 For This Useful Post:
buddy (02-16-11), DanaDane (02-16-11), hypergirl96 (02-16-11), Idisagree (02-16-11), Surly Dave (02-16-11)
Old 02-16-11, 06:34 AM
ADDvanced Contributor

dsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud ofdsvlil1 has much to be proud of
Re: Left & Right......What's the deal

Hehehe, yeah. But I'm a little more subtle than that when trying to figure it out.
I usually just have to move my left or right hand to get it straight in my head.

The value of a thing lies not in what one attains with it but it what it one pays for it, what it costs us- Nietzsche
The Following User Says Thank You to dsvlil1 For This Useful Post:
Surly Dave (02-16-11)
Old 02-16-11, 06:45 AM
Jr Member

sheila065 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsvlil1 View Post
Hehehe, yeah. But I'm a little more subtle than that when trying to figure it out.
I usually just have to move my left or right hand to get it straight in my head.
OK, OK, I kinda do it in my head too. and I don't have the big L & R on my shoes, which never really worked anyways because you still need to know which is the left and right foot. Maybe a big sharpie "L" & "R" on the top of my hands?

Fly your freak flag high and proud!
The Following User Says Thank You to sheila065 For This Useful Post:
Surly Dave (02-16-11)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-11, 06:53 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 7,909 Times in 4,072 Posts
fracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond reputefracturedstory has a reputation beyond repute

Used to get the two confused but now I'm much better at it. Used to not know which way was north and now I'm pretty good at that. I suppose it helps having your house face directly south.
I find it a little bit hard to tell someone to turn left or right when they go through a roundabout or what lane they should be in before they turn.
The Following User Says Thank You to fracturedstory For This Useful Post:
Surly Dave (02-16-11)
Old 02-16-11, 08:44 AM
Contributor

DanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the roughDanaDane is a jewel in the rough

In my forties..and I still don't get them right!

Adult female.
ADHD. Diagnosed twice in 2011.
Meds: Strattera.
GAD (depression)
Meds: Venlafaxin, Lyrica.
The Following User Says Thank You to DanaDane For This Useful Post:
Surly Dave (02-16-11)
Old 02-16-11, 10:27 AM
Contributor

Surly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to allSurly Dave is a name known to all

Man, it drives me nuts! When I was in the Navy, we not only had 'left' and 'right', but 'port' and 'starboard'. I felt like an idiot!

It's easier now because I'm married and my ring is on my left hand, but I still have to physically move my ring finger when I'm told to turn left in order to remember which is which!

By the way, 'port' is 'left'. 4 letters in each.
My high tolerance for chaos is compensation for my low tolerance for B.S.

Old 02-16-11, 12:20 PM
Forum Guru

ArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really niceArtGypsy is just really nice

I can't say I've had that issue with knowing which is my left and right. But when I was a group exercise instructor there were only two classes I taught because they didn't require a left right coordination. It was both legs or arms at the same time.

I was asked SOOOOOO many times to sub for a step class or a dance type class. And I couldn't. I absolutely can not do the same thing on the left side that I need to do on the right.

Other instructors tried to teach me and it was a mess.
If I had to step and turn to the right and then the left - all you'd get from me would probably be the right side. It was frustrating almost to the point of crying.
Old 02-16-11, 02:32 PM

Thanked 1,358 Times in 814 Posts
zannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to beholdzannie is a splendid one to behold

exactly the same problem! I have the most difficultly when i am supposed to respond right away - giving directions over the phone to someone or when i am in a car attempting to direct the poor frustrated driver.
buddy (02-16-11)
Old 02-16-11, 02:40 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

Bezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to allBezuidenthustra is a name known to all

Isn't this a classic symptom of dyslexia? I might be mistaken, but I thought it was. (Of course, that doesn't mean having this symptom proves you have dyslexia. I'm not saying that.)

This has never been an issue for me. I have an innate and uncanny sense of direction and time. I'm not complaining!

It is, however, still an issue for my youngest brother, now in his twenties, who has both dyslexia and ADHD.

Writer and general kook with ADHD, OCD, TS, depression, and monkey arms. I regularly blog about those things. I also write other fun stuff.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bezuidenthustra For This Useful Post:
hypergirl96 (02-16-11)
Old 02-16-11, 03:06 PM

Thanked 25,454 Times in 11,837 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute

I actually know which way is right and which way is left - but it always comes out backwards when I'm telling someone directions. Same with telling someone to go east - I almost always say go west. Something in my brain flips those things. Could be related to the way I tend to write down numbers like phone numbers in the wrong order - or dial them in the wrong order. Locker combinations were difficult for me, I was so happy when we moved and I could use a key to open the post office box instead of remembering Left to 12, Right to 6, Left to 32 and then it would open. Arrgghhhh!

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me

Last edited by Lunacie; 02-16-11 at 03:07 PM.. Reason: typo - changed s to y
Old 02-16-11, 05:27 PM

Thanked 2,289 Times in 1,189 Posts
buddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant futurebuddy has a brilliant future

I am 54yrs. & have had this my whole life.I am a lefty,so I would always use my left hand to "write" in the air.It's funny, I thought I was the only one who did this.
Old 02-16-11, 05:32 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezuidenthustra View Post
Isn't this a classic symptom of dyslexia? I might be mistaken, but I thought it was. (Of course, that doesn't mean having this symptom proves you have dyslexia. I'm not saying that.)

This has never been an issue for me. I have an innate and uncanny sense of direction and time. I'm not complaining!

It is, however, still an issue for my youngest brother, now in his twenties, who has both dyslexia and ADHD.
yes it is. one reason i think i may have a minor case of it.

taken from this site. this has all been researcehd and proven over and over in many diferent places. just one of the symptoms. the rest are on the sit:

Directionality

Most dyslexic children and adults have significant directionality confusion.
  • Left-Right confusion:
    • Even adults have to use whatever tricks their mother or teacher taught them to tell left from right. It never becomes rapid and automatic.
    • A common saying in household with dyslexic people is, "It's on the left. The other left."
    • That's why they are b-d confused. One points to the left and one points to the right.
    • They will often start math problems on the wrong side, or want to carry a number the wrong way.
  • Up-Down confusion:
    • Some children with dyslexia are also up-down confused. They confuse b-p or d-q, n-u, and m-w.
  • Confusion about directionality words:
    • First-last, before-after, next-previous, over-under
    • Yesterday-tomorrow (directionality in time)
  • North, South, East, West confusion:
    • Adults with dyslexia get lost a lot when driving around, even in cities where they've lived for many years
  • Often have difficulty reading or understanding maps.
buddy (02-16-11), sheila065 (02-18-11)
Old 02-16-11, 05:46 PM
Forum ADDvocate

hypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to beholdhypergirl96 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddy View Post
I am 54yrs. & have had this my whole life.I am a lefty,so I would always use my left hand to "write" in the air.It's funny, I thought I was the only one who did this.
speaking of which, there are sometimes points when i cant remember which hand i write with. even after trying both hands i couldnt remember, especially when i was younger and still getting the hang of writing.
Old 02-16-11, 06:00 PM
Contributor

Hoshi has a spectacular aura aboutHoshi has a spectacular aura about

I have to think about it too. I just think about what hand I write with - my right.
sheila065 (02-17-11)
Old 02-16-11, 10:29 PM

Thanked 3,639 Times in 1,734 Posts
Impetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond reputeImpetus has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly Dave View Post
Man, it drives me nuts! When I was in the Navy, we not only had 'left' and 'right', but 'port' and 'starboard'. I felt like an idiot!

It's easier now because I'm married and my ring is on my left hand, but I still have to physically move my ring finger when I'm told to turn left in order to remember which is which!

By the way, 'port' is 'left'. 4 letters in each.
a) I do this too, lol!

b) you just solved a lifelong problem for me! What else you got in your bag of tricks??!
I often warn people: "Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity.
-George Carlin
The Following User Says Thank You to Impetus For This Useful Post:
sheila065 (02-17-11)