ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 02-15-19, 03:07 PM

Abyss007 is on a distinguished road
PTSD meds messing with me

Hi all,
I actually used to be on this forum back in 2010 ish but I do not remember my username, etc.

I was diagnosed with ADHD and GAD around that time by a psychiatrist and spent a year taking escitalopram and many years on Aderrall. My anxiety had resolved itself (i think tbh it was mostly marijuana induced). My ADHD I managed for a long time by just maintaining a stressful job (ER nurse).

Iíve been taking midafonil for 6 months now for shift work sleep issues and as a pleasant surprise I am much higher functioning in terms of my adhd as well. I was coping without stimulants as most days are super stressful but on days that are slow the modafinil makes a big difference.

However, now I have PTSD from a bad case a few months ago. I have nightmares, I startle, Iím hyperviligent, I get a physical trigger from a coworker (who I actually admire a lot so thatís weird on its own). My GP started me on Zoloft. It zonks me out. I have zero ability to focus. I took a double dose of my midafonil (200mg with my docs permission) and I still just sat on the couch and stared at the wall (and napped... which modafinil is supposed to not allow). Itís only 25mg of Zoloft.

When i was on escitalopram i needed 30mg adderall XR instead of 20. but Zoloft, Paxil and effexor at the antidepressants recommended for PTSD. My doc didnít want to give me Effexor because Iím already on modafinil.

Anyone have any experiences with these drugs? I stopped the adderall due to the cardiovascular risk (im 34). But perhaps I should go back on it while Iím requiring these ptsd meds?
Old 02-15-19, 04:55 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 26,505 Times in 12,371 Posts
Lunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond reputeLunacie has a reputation beyond repute
Re: PTSD meds messing with me

How long have you been taking the zoloft?

It can be common to experience brain fog/fatigue as side effects to new meds.

I'm sorry about the bad experience that keeps troubling you. I too have PTSD.
I've taken Zoloft for over 6 years and luckily had no side effects. Recently was
switched to Duloxetine (Cymbalta) for anxiety, fibromyalgia and chronic pain from migraine disorder.

As far as I know, there is nothing positive about ADHD that people can't have w out ADHD. ~ ADD me
Old 02-15-19, 08:59 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 5,425 Times in 2,356 Posts
tudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond reputetudorose has a reputation beyond repute

Not those exact meds but I had a hell of a time when I was on meds for PTSD. After feeling like a lab rat for too long I lost my **** and went off all meds in protest. That wasn't necessarily the best idea but then after that got a compromise and just stayed on a low dose of luvox for about 10 years. Counselling and exercise were the only things that helped. I was doing karate that helped me feel safe and able to protect myself.

I think they put way to much emphasis on drugs to treat PTSD. They really just don't understand it.

My advice would be to try a lower dose of antidepressants (not effector that sucks). Just a plain old SSRI not SNRI. Get some counseling and empower yourself by whatever means you can
Rebelyell (02-16-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-19, 10:48 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudorose View Post
I think they put way to much emphasis on drugs to treat PTSD. They really just don't understand it.
While PTSD might generally be considered a more urgent condition than ADHD, ADHD tends to have better response rates to medicine. So if you need to choose, perhaps that's something to keep in mind?