ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > General Medication Discussion
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Medication Discussion This section is to be used for general medication discussion and other medications not broken out in their own respective forums.

Old 01-13-18, 07:59 AM
ADDvanced Member

Barbrady1 is on a distinguished road
Question Amphetamine vs Methylphenidate

Is there any substance to the claims that amphetamine-based medications work better for those with ADHD P-I?

I have been diagnosed with the combined-type but definitely identify more with the symptoms of the predominantly inattentive type of ADHD. Whilst I had a poor response to Vyvanse yet a good response to Ritalin, I do keep reading that the inattentives among us generally benefit me from lower doses and amphetamine stimulants.

It would perhaps be encroaching but I do believe it would be interesting to learn what everybody's formal diagnosis is and which medication (if any) gave them the greatest relief from their respective difficulties.
Old 01-13-18, 10:30 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

CharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to allCharlesH is a name known to all
Re: Amphetamine vs Methylphenidate

I think it's mostly anecdotal - there isn't a whole lot of research that directly compares the two classes in clinical trials (no financial incentive for pharma companies). It's mainly about establishing effectiveness over placebo in order to get FDA approval. Generally, AMP and MPH are both considered first line treatment, with some experts thinking that AMP tends to have slightly higher success rates (but it's still trial and error for each individual patient!).

In theory, when it comes to the ratio of dopamine to norepinephrine effect, MPH has a higher ratio of dopamine effect, and AMP has a higher ratio of norepinephrine effect. Dopamine is theorized to help more with hyperactivity/impulsiveness, and norepinephrine is theorized to help more with inattentiveness. I don't have specific links to scientific literature with me right now, but this is standard scientific theory (which is just that...theory! More research needs to be done!)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CharlesH For This Useful Post:
aeon (01-14-18), Barbrady1 (01-14-18), namazu (01-14-18)
Old 01-18-18, 06:11 AM

Fluppets is on a distinguished road

Like CharlesH said, while you might find scientific tests done on an individual drug vs placebo, there aren't many that compare the two, especially for specifically ADHD-PI.

I did find this:
https://www.printfriendly.com/print?...AGvIr-nqqmuGzy
and further reading gives this:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1474811/

I quote this part:
Quote:
Most children with ADHD (perhaps as high as 90%; Barkley, 2001; Barkley et al., 1991; Milich et al., 2001; Weiss et al., 2003) respond positively to methylphenidate (Ritalin) and over two-thirds of such children respond positively to methylphenidate in moderate to high doses (Barkley, 2001; Barkley et al., 1991; Milich et al., 2001; Weiss et al., 2003). In contrast, a significant percentage of children with ADD are not helped by methylphenidate and those who are helped often do best at low doses (Barkley, 2001; Barkley et al., 1991; Milich et al., 2001; Weiss et al., 2003). Many individuals with ADD are helped by amphetamines, such as Adderall.
As for anecdotal, I am ADD or ADHD-PI. I just started on Ritalin 10 mg (along with Sertraline 200mg and Abilify 5mg). It's too early to tell; but I'll try to keep you updated on how it's going.

Last edited by midnightstar; 02-03-18 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: print friendlied first link, no other edits
Sponsored Links
Old 02-03-18, 01:22 PM

JakeH99 is on a distinguished road

Inattentive is said to be best with methylphenidate and amphetamine with hyperactive. If you're combo presentation type, then you either pick your favorite or try to rock both. Cheers.
Old 02-06-18, 05:31 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,566 Times in 15,078 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard the same thing that Jake mentioned although I dont know where.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 02-09-18, 11:46 AM
Jr Member

Kdawg1 is on a distinguished road

I was on dex kvk Tech 10mg for the last 8 months and10mg barr brand for 5 months before that. my doc has been trying a bunch of anxiety meds for me(SSRI) with negative results with them all. I saw my doc yesterday and she says she will give me a scrip of the dex, I go to pick it up and they say it's generic adderall mtg Teva, I feel so happy and calm. I don't really know a lot about every med but is the difference the added levoamphetamine? I am inattentive, I feel like my focus is better too but This is all new too me(time will tell). I have tried Ritalin before and it is way to harsh and quick up and down.
Old 02-09-18, 12:30 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 14,556 Times in 6,500 Posts
aeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond reputeaeon has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg1 View Post
I was on dex kvk Tech 10mg for the last 8 months and10mg barr brand for 5 months before that. my doc has been trying a bunch of anxiety meds for me(SSRI) with negative results with them all. I saw my doc yesterday and she says she will give me a scrip of the dex, I go to pick it up and they say it's generic adderall mtg Teva, I feel so happy and calm. I don't really know a lot about every med but is the difference the added levoamphetamine?
Not likely.

It is more likely because Adderall is weaker than Dexedrine per milligram.

So the reduction in dextroamphetamine base may be just enough to bring it under the threshold to trigger your anxiety.

Cheers,
Ian
The Following User Says Thank You to aeon For This Useful Post:
Kdawg1 (02-09-18)