ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 11-26-12, 08:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,193 Times in 5,467 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
hyperactivity, the king of all impulse control disorders?

dizfriz mentioned elsewhere that the top adhd folk are leaning towards hyperactivity being driven by impulsiveness

it got me thinking

when i think of hyperactivity in adults, i think

restlessness
intolerance of boredom
driven by a motor
on edge

not energetic, outgoing , type A

these feelings seem to me to almost be a 'hunt for instant gratification' (corny, i know but i cant think of any other way to put it)

side note: this applies to adhd combined or hyper only, that type is found to have emotional regulation issues involved , and found to be primarily genetic

so im wondering what causes that, i just cant believe the low dopamine thing

A search for emotional balance that we are unable to produce on our own?

thoughts?
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
Flory (11-27-12)
Old 11-26-12, 08:44 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
Re: hyperactivity, the king of all impulse control disorders?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21497072

forgot this, it seems relevant
Old 11-27-12, 07:56 AM

it also feels like i have different types of hyperactivity

the feeling of i guess excitement or elation, seems to externalize into excessive talking, extremely excessive pacing, toe walking and some others
DvlsAdv0c8 (11-27-12)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-12, 10:55 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Dave, I can't answer all your questions and even if I could, it would be bordering on assessment which I cannot do here.

What I am going to do is to discuss impulsiveness and hyperactivity a little in hopes it might help. You have proposed some very good but also very complex questions.

Most but not all of this is from Barkley's book Attention -Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Third edition Barkley (2006).

Let's look first at Impulsivity.

Quote:
Impulsivity with ADHD is involved with undercontrol of behavior (executive function), poor sustained inhibition, the ability to delay a response or defer gratification, or the inability to inhibit responses.
Quote:
Evidence that behavioral disinhibition, or poor effortful regulation and inhibition of behavior is in fact the hallmark of this disorder is so substantial that it can be considered as fact.
Mostly (and oversimplified to make it easier to write in my available time) impulsivity with ADHD is involved with lack of inhibition rather than a positive drive. It could be expressed as not being able to not do something, to inhibit the original impulse. As an example, it is not a case of one having to speed to respond to a particular situation but more a case of not being able to inhibit the impulse to drive fast no matter what the circumstances. That is not totally correct but close enough for now. Wrapping your head around all this is sometimes overwhelming at least so to me.

From a study examining how to define and measure impulsivity:
Quote:
Impulsivity, broadly defined as action without foresight,(I really like that description-Diz) is a component of numerous psychiatric illnesses including attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), mania and substance abuse. In order to investigate the mechanisms underpinning impulsive behavior, the nature of impulsivity itself needs to be defined in operational terms that can be used as the basis for empirical investigation. Due to the range of behaviors that the term impulsivity describes, it has been suggested that impulsivity is not a unitary construct, but encompasses a variety of related phenomena that may differ in their biological basis.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1892795/

So impulsivity probably is not a simple thing but instead quite complex and ADHD is probably only one of the factors involved.

Next lets look at hyperactivity. Hyperactivity is much simpler. It is usually defined as excessive or developmentally inappropriate levels of activity whether motor or vocal. (Barkley)

As you can see hyperactivity is a specific set of behaviors that can be reasonably observed and measured. It is very useful in diagnostics with children and to a lesser but still significant degree with adults. It does not seem to have a lot to do with the overall theory and structure of ADHD itself but, at least in my opinion, is a result of impulsivity; the person cannot inhibit reacting and thus has more motor movement or vocal activity. It is not the quality of the vocal or motor activities but the quantity in time.

Impulsiveness on the other hand, is an integral part of Barkley's theory of ADHD being matter of a deficit in the development of executive functions and is a significant part of the issue of self control/regulation. So impulsiveness is an integral part of a theory of ADHD and hyperactivity is much less so. This is how I see the theory so take it for what it is.

What is also significant here is that there there are a number of things that can mimic ADHD symptoms. The article abstract (note it is in a pediatrics journal) discusses some of the issues that can do this in children. As with so many things, impulsivity can have a number of causes and a number of ways of expressing itself.

Hyperactivity especially in adults can result from many things including neurological factors (ADHD, Bipolar), psychological (PTSD, anxiety and others-Depression in adolescents and children is often expressed in anger rather than sadness that this can result in both hyperactivity and impulsiveness.) This can also be a part of normal life at times. That is the key, for non ADHDers the description is at times; for ADHDers, it is most times.

Hyperactivity in the more adult mode of restlessness can also come from quite normal situations so it is the extent of the feelings or expressions of restlessness that are significant with ADHD, not the restlessness itself. The same holds for impulsiveness.

So, as you can see, it is not a simple thing to examine. I know I have not directly addressed your questions but I hope I helped a little with this. I could have also made matters even more confusing.

Dizfriz
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dizfriz For This Useful Post:
danelady (11-27-12), daveddd (11-27-12), DvlsAdv0c8 (11-27-12), ginniebean (11-27-12), wreckseetee (11-27-12)
Old 11-27-12, 11:01 AM

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
it also feels like i have different types of hyperactivity

the feeling of i guess excitement or elation, seems to externalize into excessive talking, extremely excessive pacing, toe walking and some others
We're twins!!! Be back later for more.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
ana futura (11-27-12), daveddd (11-27-12)
Old 11-27-12, 11:07 AM

Thanked 2,694 Times in 1,211 Posts
mrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond reputemrs. dobbs has a reputation beyond repute

What is it when you are in a class or a lecture and your can't control nodding your head at the lecturer or making agreement noises as if you're at a sermon... or pointing to someone who had a question or made a good point because you're too excited? Or jumping in because you're so excited and answering before you've actually understood the entire statement/question and saying something totally left field? That's impulse control, right? A problem puttin' on the brakes? Yeh, I have that. I get over-excited in interpersonal interactions. It's really embarrassing.

I also have hyperactivity-- driven by a motor etc. that turns into generalized anxiety.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrs. dobbs For This Useful Post:
danelady (11-27-12), daveddd (11-27-12)
Old 11-27-12, 01:08 PM

I'm workin so I'll come back

But dizfriz. Say this impulsive drive we have. Is intense.

But what if as adults we used sublimation

The worse the drive the more intense sublimation

Could u see that as the positive trait I've mentioned

I believe that is what is behind savant syndrome
Old 11-27-12, 03:19 PM

Thanked 21,931 Times in 7,991 Posts
ginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond reputeginniebean has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs. Dobbs, sounds like classic impulsiveness.. I do this too and that is embarrassing.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginniebean For This Useful Post:
daveddd (11-27-12), mrs. dobbs (11-28-12)
Old 11-27-12, 07:01 PM

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22840630
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23082740

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23043887

these are a couple articles they kind of explain where im coming from, but not well

all the research i do is out of textbooks, so i try to find articles that sum it up
Dizfriz (11-29-12)
Old 11-27-12, 09:02 PM
Artisan of Shenanigans

Thanked 4,767 Times in 3,105 Posts
Conman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond reputeConman has a reputation beyond repute

the way you worded the posts looks weird to me, i cant quite understand what youre asking daveddd.

in terms of boredom, i already noted i get bored very easily. and this is not meant to be a religious comment or knocking anybody's beliefs/religion, but i was raised catholic and i absolutely hated/loathed going to church as a kid. i hated sitting, kneeling, standing, listening to a guy drone on about stuff i didnt know or didnt care about (at the time anyway), and everybody around me singing stuff from memory and i didnt even know what they were, just moved my lips

-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 11-29-12, 11:30 AM

Thanked 10,438 Times in 3,291 Posts
Dizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond reputeDizfriz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22840630
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23082740

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23043887

these are a couple articles they kind of explain where im coming from, but not well

all the research i do is out of textbooks, so i try to find articles that sum it up
Dave

You are getting a little above my competency level. I do not really know all that much about emotional impulse control except with children.

I do know that is real however and can be a major problem especially with adults.

From the reading I have been able to do on this , we do not seem to know a lot about it right now and I can't really say much about it because I don't know all that much about it.

Interesting concepts, I wish I could help more.

Dizfriz