ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADDForums FRONT OFFICE > New Member Introductions
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-14, 06:08 PM

thoughtsoloud is on a distinguished road
Didn't mean to write a long story.. but it has a happy ending (also hello)

Hi guys,

I just wanted to say a little about how this site has helped me a lot lately..

I've always been a good student, but a procrastinator, etc. - that whole story. Anyway, when I got to college my life took a BIG turn. 'For whatever reason' I just wasn't able to handle it. And basically, for the past 3 years I've been in and out of school. What I think now but never realized at the time is that ADD has been at the root of my problems all along. From reading around (here!) I know a lot of people, especially with 'adult' ADD, go through life without their ADD being a problem up to a point--and then you have to face it. Well, I guess my time to face it was freshman year age 18.

To keep the story short, my second semester of college was an unmitigated disaster in which I totally imploded--all my confidence and self-esteem went right out the window--and I became really severely depressed. I failed all my classes so they sent me packing. Well I finally went back after 2 years last semester, only to have basically the same experience but like in slow motion..

Well, here's the thing - I wasn't depressed. So at this point I'm really panicking. I'm sure some people here might be able to relate: I just went through a 3-year-long personal crisis in which I had to rebuild my entire sense of self, only to be suddenly standing on the edge again. It's pretty terrifying.

-------------------------------

OK so I knew something was up. I started doing some research, and I found out about ADHD and got really suspicious that that might be what was going on with me.. (OK here's where it all comes together). I thought, 'But wow, is ADD that serious?' so I googled something like 'adhd college experience' and stuff like that. Lo and behold, I got linked to this forum and read some people's ADHD college experiences and some of them matched up almost exactly with mine: everything was good at first, but then it starts to unravel thanks to missed deadlines, not finishing the reading assignments.. I could go on.

TL;DR witnessing other people's experiences with ADHD on this site is what allowed me to take myself and my suspicion seriously. Well, the dean didn't believe me; the college psychiatrist was convinced I had major depression; I got thrown out of school again (on medical leave this time at least). So... I came home, went to the doctor, got evaluated, got diagnosed, been taking adderall for about a month now--life is much better, feel totally vindicated, hate my school, came back to this forum to ask a question about adderall side-effects, and didn't mean to write a long story with hardly any context..

Anyway, this site is really useful and it's great that it exists!
The Following User Says Thank You to thoughtsoloud For This Useful Post:
Nicksgonefishin (03-06-14)
Old 03-06-14, 07:00 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,912 Times in 958 Posts
Nicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant futureNicksgonefishin has a brilliant future
Re: Didn't mean to write a long story.. but it has a happy ending (also hello)

Welcome! Glad you finally posted.

Proud of you for going after your diagnosis.