ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Vyvanse
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Vyvanse (lisdexamfetamine dimesylate)

Old 11-02-17, 09:48 AM

AcctUhd456 is on a distinguished road
Your experience taking both Vyvanse vs Dexedrine ER

I had a pdoc appointment yesterday and asked to switch from 3x10mg dexedrine to 50mg Vyvanse + 10mg dexedrine because I was losing pills and was irritated having to break and remind myself 3+ times a day to take pills as sometimes I'd do 7.5mgx 4 times a day.

I'm taking 40mg vyvanse plus 10mg dexedrine. The vyanse strengh isn't giving enough clarity as 1 10mg dex pill does and doesn't keep me "fully alert" which 10mg dexedrine pill does.

It got me thinking however about Dexedrine ER since there is a brand of that and Vyvanse is great however it doesn't last nearly as long as advertised which is why I took 2 a day for 1 month before telling the doc I couldn't sleep at night.

The walgreens I go to said they carry dexedrine extended release which is the generic and that they could order the brand if they don't have it.

What are differences of effects of dexedrine ER and Vyvanse from your personal experience? Does the ER not last as long as Vyvanse? If 1 vyvanse isn't enough yet 2 is too much duration, would 2 ER dexedrine be worth a try as it is suppose to be shorter lasting than Vyvanse?

Which med has a greater effect on appetite supression?

I like dex tablets but they last way too short for me. I need at least 1 ER medication.
Old 11-02-17, 02:04 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 29,817 Times in 13,551 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Your experience taking both Vyvanse vs Dexedrine ER

Vyvanse is the weakest of the amphetamine class of drugs mg for mg. The ER version of dexedrine is called dexedrine spansules. I dont believe there is a brand name one anymore. The brand used to be called dextrostat. I have always had to taken multiple doses of all ER meds due to some nutritional and digestive issues and there is no rule that you can only taken it once a day. Shire imo, overstates the effectiveness of vyvanse and they are the only manufactureres of it as there is no generic.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-05-17, 01:43 PM

Thanks. Taking Vyvanse twice a day gave me sleep problems as I complained on here few months ago and you had replied the same experience lol. Does that also mean that if I take 40mg vyvanse capsule in half mix it with water and drink twice a day that I will also have sleep problems since I'm basically taking 20mg vyvanse x 2?Vyvanse I like because it supresses appeite which helps with not over eating more than any other med I tried. Do you think I should try dexedrine ER twice a day and do you suppose it will give sleep problems as well like vyvanse twice a day? I will see how this 40mg vyvanse combo plus possible 10mg dex tab as needed as this is not such an issue right now.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-06-17, 06:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
Thanks. Taking Vyvanse twice a day gave me sleep problems as I complained on here few months ago and you had replied the same experience lol. Does that also mean that if I take 40mg vyvanse capsule in half mix it with water and drink twice a day that I will also have sleep problems since I'm basically taking 20mg vyvanse x 2?Vyvanse I like because it supresses appeite which helps with not over eating more than any other med I tried. Do you think I should try dexedrine ER twice a day and do you suppose it will give sleep problems as well like vyvanse twice a day? I will see how this 40mg vyvanse combo plus possible 10mg dex tab as needed as this is not such an issue right now.
I am not a fan of vyvanse but Ill spare you the rant. Dexedrine IMO is better than vyvanse and vyvanse is the weakest mg pe mg of all the stimulants. Dex has a lower side effect profile as well and comes in the spansules and IR.

I carried a watermelon?
Old 11-15-17, 07:35 PM

Today I had an interview and got ready late. I took 10mg dex pill instead of vyvanse since vyvanse wouldve took long to kick in. I'm glad I did because I did well and got an offer this afternoon. Lol

Anyways I do notice a minor difference in side effects such as vyvanse supressing appetite more and better than adderall when I was on that. What other side effects are you talking about compared to dex?

I dont like that with vyvanse its effective doe is half as advertised and possibly less yet if I take 2 doses Im unable to sleep on time..WTH? LOL
Old 11-16-17, 04:07 AM
Mod-A-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcctUhd456 View Post
Today I had an interview and got ready late. I took 10mg dex pill instead of vyvanse since vyvanse wouldve took long to kick in. I'm glad I did because I did well and got an offer this afternoon. Lol

Anyways I do notice a minor difference in side effects such as vyvanse supressing appetite more and better than adderall when I was on that. What other side effects are you talking about compared to dex?

I dont like that with vyvanse its effective doe is half as advertised and possibly less yet if I take 2 doses Im unable to sleep on time..WTH? LOL
So are you on both meds at the same time? Or switching from one to the other?

I carried a watermelon?