ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Dexedrine/Dextrostat
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Dexedrine/Dextrostat (dextroamphetamine)

Old 12-03-17, 02:15 AM
ADDvanced Member

Emcon456 is on a distinguished road
Is my daily dexedrine doses too high,too little,or just right for me & how to know?

I saw a youtube video of someone who was prescribed 30mg dexedrine daily and he described it as being hard to switch from task to task and anxiety and some other side effects. He says 15mg helps him function much better and that he has no problems going from tasks or anxiety and other side effects and that he knows its his "sweet spot"

It got me thinking of my daily dosage that I take which is 3 10mg tablets daily and I have been prescribed it since July.

Can someone help me figure out what my sweet spot
Here is how 5mg,7.5mg,10mg effects me

5mg: I can mentally concentrate on things as I have drive for it but there's a restless feeling. Deep down I believe I could possibly train myself to be normal on this dose if I stick starting with doing the most important to least important tasks throughout day and sleep well consistently.

7.5mg: I can tell its working.This is what I believe to be my sweet spot when I have solid sleep. If I worry about something I worry and get to the bottom of it but it doesn't necessarily turn into anxiety.I can concentrate on a task until it gets done it seems like.I notice it feels like it could last at least 3 hours and possibly up to 5 some days.

10mg: Nice motivation and noticeable mood lift. However I notice anxiety and a grey miserable feeling like ruminating on a rainy day type of emotion for tasks I haven't done,yet its like something is forcing me to focus on these negative horrible thoughts and analyze it like its something much greater.I hate talking to people on this strength cause I'm less cheerful and more insecure.I have a love/hate thing with this strength.I LOVE working out and exercising on this dose because the high of exercising is much greater than on lower doses but there is a nasty feeling when exercising on this dose too. If I don't sleep well 10mg feels like the equivalent of 7.5mg on a normal day or even 5mg which is why sometimes I believe 10mg is my appropriate dose however its apparent it is a sleeping pattern issue.

That's basically how I see each of these dosages without complicating it even more.

I also forgot to mention that I almost always 99% of the time take the full 30mg 6 or 7 days a week. I've become so dependent on it like I can't take a weekend off or I start analyzing rebound effects. The worst part is that the 30mg isn't even an equal amount each dose. I would start with 10mg than 5mg 2 hours later than 2.5-5mg 2 hours later REPEAT till its night and I realize I need to go to bed and I finished everything I had to do for the day. Is it normal to go everyday by how I feel? Shouldn't I be more organized with the doses so I could have a more consistent feeling for the med,especially months of taking this?
Old 12-03-17, 07:28 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,615 Times in 15,104 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Is my daily dexedrine doses too high,too little,or just right for me & how to kno

So are you prescribed 30 mg a day and you break it up over the course of a day?

I carried a watermelon?
Old 12-03-17, 08:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Re: Is my daily dexedrine doses too high,too little,or just right for me & how to kno

Yea I'm prescribed 3 10mg tabs. I break it up and take 2.5mg-10mg at once than repeat every 2-3 hours. I need consistency and I know I can get it without having to resort to extended release dexedrine or other meds I just need to find my sweet spot and know how long the effects will last. I've been prescribed this since July though been lazy to stick out a few days and test them out and instead disorganize myself with the pills and go with the flow of my task load half the time lol its so annoying because I can literally tell exactly when the shifts in my attitudes happen with myself and environment throughout the day everyday however I don't tell my doc,he thinks i'm just smooth sailing 10mg 3x daily for months like its some basic medicine and I'm some basic patient with a basic condition
Sponsored Links
Old 12-03-17, 12:00 PM
ADDvanced Member

My goal is to take the same strength and doses evenly spread throughout the day

For example: 7.5mg every 3 OR 4 hours
....instead of taking part of the next dose at 2.5 hours or something and having to barely be productive the next dose since it will be lower...this made me miserable at my last job as I was aware of the ups and downs of the medication

Has anyone ever had this problem?I know I can't be the only losing my mind over this simple thing....or am I just getting way too dependent on the drug to stay high functioning and content? How can I reduce my dependency......It seems like it would be a mountain to climb as I've been consistently taking meds for 11 months with barely any weekend breaks like everyone speaks of on here....I can't be consistent in the gym without medication and eat healthy either, I also can't STAY high functioning for long before I'd have to reduce goals lol

What kind of mindset do I have to allow myself to achieve in order to not be completely reliant on medication?
Old 12-03-17, 09:22 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get the idea that you are dependent ... like you're afraid to not take the medication or you get depressed without it.

Sounds like you said if you miss dose (or a day), you simply ruminate on whether or not you're dependent. That's a different issue that being dependent, and I don't accept the premise that being "dependent" is bad.

I am very dependent on allergy medications and most likely will be for the rest of my life. That's if I define "dependent" as "needing to use to feel at my very best."

To answer your original question, it sounds like the 7.5mg is the right dose for you ... but I could see taking one 10 and two 7.5 pills a day ... Take the 10 for the part of the day when you can handle a sour mood if you want to go that route.

Here's the deal ... Just talk to your doc about this and try out the 7.5 three times a day. See how it works. You're not going to fall off the earth if you decide it's too low. You'll just call the doctor and ask for change. If you feel depressed on the lower dose, tell the doctor, they'll make an adjustment and go from there.

I sense a lot of anxiety and self-doubt clouding your thinking. You're asking a great question ... You can get an answer ...

Tone