ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Misc Treatments and Approaches
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 10-18-08, 08:17 PM
Contributor

mystery has a spectacular aura aboutmystery has a spectacular aura about
OTC substances that had significant effect for ADHD

If you've had a significant response to a particular OTC substance, then please let is know what it is. This is not another thread to list what substances might be helpful, nor what had a slight effect. Please keep it to substances that you've tried and had a significant effect being close to that of medication for treating your ADHD symptoms.

I'm ADHD-PI, so my main concern is to improve focus (or treat inattentiveness). My list is short considering I've tried many many OTC supplements/herbs:

Kava kava: I don't take it much anymore because it seems to make agitated. It was very helpful for focusing though when I took a small dose, and the effect lasted many hours.

Phenylpiracetam: I build a tolerance rather quickly, but it had a noticeable focus-improving effect, and energizes my brain. Only lasted 2-3 hours.

Siberian Ginseng: I noticed the best effect from ground root taken directly with cold water. It improved my focus very significantly, but I seemed to build a tolerance to it. Lasts a few hours.

Caffeine: This one is pretty common obviously. I Build a rapid and almost complete tolerance to the focus-improving effect, but the initial effects are pretty amazing. Therapeutic time is variable depending on my tolerance built, and can range from >6 hrs to ineffective (0 hrs).
Old 10-19-08, 09:01 AM

Smitten79 is on a distinguished road
Re: OTC substances that had significant effect for ADHD

Okay Mystery I'll play.

Fish Oil (prefer normal EPAHA ratio over the high EPAHA ratio which doesn't have nearly the same effect on me):
Big reduction in temper tantrums and aggression. I still can have aggressive thoughts but am much better able to control myself and my temper. It's made me a better person. Also more careful with what I say generally (before Fish Oil I used to mouth of about people all too often). Very good for behaviour and some parts of impulsivity (not all) but didn't do much for attention. Has worked consistently for 5 years for me and I really notice the difference if I don't take it.

Gingko, Bacopa, megadoses of Thiamine with a B Complex: Work well and consistently for concentration and memory recall. Seem to overlap with some cognitive ADHD problems but can make mental hyperactivity worse at times. Work well with Caffeine and PhosphatidylSerine (the latter is a real good addition as it takes some of the 'jittery edge' away from these substances). Can make life easier even if not directly targeting ADHD - for example Gingko makes one more aware of things so you won't lose as many things, Thiamine gives a really powerful mental energy boost for reading, etc.

Caffeine: I use Green Tea lately (which includes other compounds like Theanine which slightly increase Dopamine levels too). Like Mystery said, a rapid tolerance builds to most of its focus inducing effect (though I still get some added focus even on the 3rd cup of tea on the 5th day straight I've taken it). I take breaks on weekends to counter this tolerance problem. Because I don't drink too much Caffeine (the amount in Green Tea isn't huge) when I do take a large amount through a couple of cups of coffee I can really feel focused (but anxious).

Nicotine patches: something I've been trying lately after reading that it has been studied for ADHD. Seems to work well for focus and is far safer I've read than smoking (doesn't have the smoke and the tar issues that smoking does). I have to say it's been a great find - cheap as well as I just use a quarter of a 21 mg patch a time. I have read that tolerance builds quickly so I'm only using it for 4-5 hours a day 5 days a week at the moment.

I can see why Caffeine and Nicotine are so widely used worldwide and not just ADHD. They are two of the most effective focusing agents out there OTC...
Old 10-19-08, 01:55 PM
Forum Guru

reesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to allreesah is a name known to all

coffee and cigarettes.
where do I start, where do I begin?
The Following User Says Thank You to reesah For This Useful Post:
Imnapl (10-19-08)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-08, 11:48 AM

Sam French is on a distinguished road

American Ginseng I take it in the afternoons it really helps me alot.
I also use Ginkgo Bilboa and caffine with B12.

I drink a lot of water during the day. I also do not take american ginseng on the weekends along with the second doseages.

I also have learned do not drink coffee within 2 1/2 hours of taking ginkgo bilboa. to me at least they do not play well with each other.

what is the best way to use green tea? I know you can buy it out of drink machines but
I don't trust it.

Thanks
Old 10-24-08, 11:22 PM
Contributor

I'd really like to try fish oil again, but it had the opposite reaction for me making me much more aggressive. Do you have any suggestions on what type I should take?

I have some PhosphatidylSerine laying around. I think I'll need to dust it off.

I'll have to get some nicotine patches. I've tried the gum on numerous occasions which was somewhat helpful but maybe the patch will be different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten79 View Post
Okay Mystery I'll play.

Fish Oil (prefer normal EPAHA ratio over the high EPAHA ratio which doesn't have nearly the same effect on me):
Big reduction in temper tantrums and aggression. I still can have aggressive thoughts but am much better able to control myself and my temper. It's made me a better person. Also more careful with what I say generally (before Fish Oil I used to mouth of about people all too often). Very good for behaviour and some parts of impulsivity (not all) but didn't do much for attention. Has worked consistently for 5 years for me and I really notice the difference if I don't take it.

Gingko, Bacopa, megadoses of Thiamine with a B Complex: Work well and consistently for concentration and memory recall. Seem to overlap with some cognitive ADHD problems but can make mental hyperactivity worse at times. Work well with Caffeine and PhosphatidylSerine (the latter is a real good addition as it takes some of the 'jittery edge' away from these substances). Can make life easier even if not directly targeting ADHD - for example Gingko makes one more aware of things so you won't lose as many things, Thiamine gives a really powerful mental energy boost for reading, etc.

Caffeine: I use Green Tea lately (which includes other compounds like Theanine which slightly increase Dopamine levels too). Like Mystery said, a rapid tolerance builds to most of its focus inducing effect (though I still get some added focus even on the 3rd cup of tea on the 5th day straight I've taken it). I take breaks on weekends to counter this tolerance problem. Because I don't drink too much Caffeine (the amount in Green Tea isn't huge) when I do take a large amount through a couple of cups of coffee I can really feel focused (but anxious).

Nicotine patches: something I've been trying lately after reading that it has been studied for ADHD. Seems to work well for focus and is far safer I've read than smoking (doesn't have the smoke and the tar issues that smoking does). I have to say it's been a great find - cheap as well as I just use a quarter of a 21 mg patch a time. I have read that tolerance builds quickly so I'm only using it for 4-5 hours a day 5 days a week at the moment.

I can see why Caffeine and Nicotine are so widely used worldwide and not just ADHD. They are two of the most effective focusing agents out there OTC...
Old 10-24-08, 11:28 PM
Contributor

Where do you get your american ginseng from? I'll need to try this again, probably with ingesting roots w/out infusing them. For some reason, heating it I've found may extract the more stimulating compounds which may make me mildly agitated. I have some dry roots. I'll probably try cutting them up in small pieces and taking them with cold water. I'll let you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam French View Post
American Ginseng I take it in the afternoons it really helps me alot.
I also use Ginkgo Bilboa and caffine with B12.

I drink a lot of water during the day. I also do not take american ginseng on the weekends along with the second doseages.

I also have learned do not drink coffee within 2 1/2 hours of taking ginkgo bilboa. to me at least they do not play well with each other.

what is the best way to use green tea? I know you can buy it out of drink machines but
I don't trust it.

Thanks
Old 10-24-08, 11:31 PM
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by reesah View Post
coffee and cigarettes.
Don't forget alcohol . Really, I feel it does help my ADHD, but the "side" effects make it not very useful.
Old 10-25-08, 02:15 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I'd really like to try fish oil again, but it had the opposite reaction for me making me much more aggressive. Do you have any suggestions on what type I should take?
I also have the "aggressive" reaction to fish oil. The kind I took had nearly an equal ratio of EPA-to-DHA. What do you think causes the abnormal reaction? Do you think you have a mood disorder??

Some sources say that higher EPA is better for calming effects, others say higher DHA. I don't know what to think anymore...
Old 10-25-08, 04:56 PM
Contributor

Quote:
What do you think causes the abnormal reaction? Do you think you have a mood disorder??
I think that the essential fatty acids (EFAs) were possibly converting to hormones or something else, as these are used for other body processes other than neural cell membranes. A capsule of Omega3 fish oil might be mostly Omega 3 with just a portion being the fatty acids EPA, and DHA.

I am very sensitive to any substance, and taking just one can probably throw my delicate physiological balance off. An example, is taking a fish oil capsule vs. eating some fish which won't have this effect on me. I don't have a mood disorder, and my mood is good by default. I don't like substances which give it an artificial lift, even something like alcohol so much.
Old 10-25-08, 09:53 PM
ADDvanced Member

bookwurm2 has a spectacular aura aboutbookwurm2 has a spectacular aura about

Phosphatidyl Serine is a miracle drug for me. It cures my ADHD. It works much better than any of the various prescription drugs that I tried. Of the prescription drugs I tried, Ritalin LA worked the best and it worked pretty well. But PS works much, much better.

A 500 mg pill lasts me 4-5 hours if I'm awake, longer if I sleep.

Certain brands work better than others. Some brands do not work at all.

I should note that I also take fish oil, and a few of us for whom PS works think that the fish oil helps the PS work better.
The Following User Says Thank You to bookwurm2 For This Useful Post:
jennju (01-22-09)
Old 10-26-08, 03:12 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Batman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to beholdBatman55 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystery View Post
I think that the essential fatty acids (EFAs) were possibly converting to hormones or something else, as these are used for other body processes other than neural cell membranes. A capsule of Omega3 fish oil might be mostly Omega 3 with just a portion being the fatty acids EPA, and DHA.

I am very sensitive to any substance, and taking just one can probably throw my delicate physiological balance off. An example, is taking a fish oil capsule vs. eating some fish which won't have this effect on me. I don't have a mood disorder, and my mood is good by default. I don't like substances which give it an artificial lift, even something like alcohol so much.
If you were to try Fish Oil again, is there a specific formulation you would be looking for?

It's not just the cognitive effects that I'd want it for, but the effects on physical health are pretty amazing, too..
Old 10-26-08, 04:09 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,017 Times in 640 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future

stimulating cold medicines (they are related to amphetamines, after all)
Old 10-30-08, 08:22 AM

Smitten79 is on a distinguished road

Regarding a parodoxical aggressive effect from Fish Oil, I am not sure what happened to you guys (Mystery and Batman). I have noticed when I take Fish Oils with a higher EPAHA ratio, I am as aggressive as ever (but not sure if that is moreso than when not taking any Fish Oil at all).

I think you guys should try high doses of mainly DHA Oils (even purified Algal DHA with zero EPA formulas) before giving up on it. DHA (and Fish Oil generally) is definitely well known to help aggression: search http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez for 'DHA aggression', 'DHA hostility', 'DHA behavior', 'DHA anger', and 'DHA violence' for examples of studies on this effect.

I get the feeling most ADHDers don't really care about this effect as their aggression helps them get their adrenalin going and get through things. However in the workforce and in life, temper tantrums and indiscrete challenges of authority can get you into trouble.

Regarding the Green Tea, I wouldn't say it's amazingly helpful but it does help somewhat. I get quality Japanese-made Sencha and just drink warm cups without adding anything (no sugar as some of the cold iced teas add). This is natural and healthy. Just make sure your serum ferritin stores don't drop too low - Green Tea has been shown to reduce Iron absorption (mine seemed to fall quite a bit in a blood test after drinking Green Tea regularly and laying off high-Iron red meat). Should be a good thing for most males as excess Iron can lead to health problems - however Iron levels that are too low may exarcebate some ADHD problems like tiredness, low mental energy and hyperactivity.

As for PhosphatidylSerine, it is subtle for me but definitely works. I am awaiting for my shipment as we speak. Just takes the edge off jumpiness and anxiety in a consistent way...
Old 10-31-08, 03:34 AM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitten79 View Post
Regarding a parodoxical aggressive effect from Fish Oil, I am not sure what happened to you guys (Mystery and Batman). I have noticed when I take Fish Oils with a higher EPAHA ratio, I am as aggressive as ever (but not sure if that is moreso than when not taking any Fish Oil at all).

I think you guys should try high doses of mainly DHA Oils (even purified Algal DHA with zero EPA formulas) before giving up on it. DHA (and Fish Oil generally) is definitely well known to help aggression: search http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/sites/entrez for 'DHA aggression', 'DHA hostility', 'DHA behavior', 'DHA anger', and 'DHA violence' for examples of studies on this effect.
In the health food store I go to, there is a brand of Fish Oil called "Mood" or something, with a description about the calming effect, and it's got a very high EPA to DHA ratio.. there's almost no DHA in it. Therein lies the confusion...
Old 11-10-08, 09:27 PM

carrfie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by bookwurm2 View Post
Phosphatidyl Serine is a miracle drug for me. It cures my ADHD. It works much better than any of the various prescription drugs that I tried. Of the prescription drugs I tried, Ritalin LA worked the best and it worked pretty well. But PS works much, much better.

A 500 mg pill lasts me 4-5 hours if I'm awake, longer if I sleep.

Certain brands work better than others. Some brands do not work at all.

I should note that I also take fish oil, and a few of us for whom PS works think that the fish oil helps the PS work better.
Could you please tell me what brands of Phosphatidyl Serine you find to be the best? I did a web search and there are so many different brands and formulations to choose from. I am on Vyvanse and would be thrilled to find a natural substitute.
The Following User Says Thank You to carrfie For This Useful Post:
AuntOtter (03-08-12)