ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 12-07-09, 09:48 AM

partynstudy is on a distinguished road
Lightbulb Adderall VS Dexedrine: Male sexual side-effects

Hello all,
I'm a 20 year old healthy male with some intense ADHD (inattentive) that effects my social, professional, and academic life significantly.

So I am prescribed to both adderall (25mg) and dexedrine (5mg) and have had some embarrassing side effects. The medications work great, the adderall works slightly better though, and I really don't want to have to stop them.

However I can't help but notice that I've gone from a few years of really being on top of my sexual game to a few months of relative celibacy. Maybe its my ADHD that lead me to sexual promiscuity in the past and now that I'm being treated I no longer am so impulsive sexually.

Either way I hate that I have nearly no sex drive when I'm on adderall. I feel "horny" and can become aroused no problem but I don't actively pursue women the same way. When I do have sex I feel so passionless compared to when I'm not on the drug. Like methodical; its brutal. I feel way goal oriented, like everything is on amphetamines, and real my "goal" way too quick. This makes for some rare, passionless, and painfully quick sex. Totally ruining a relationship. It kills me.

I'm curious if anyone else has any experience with the topic of premature ejaculation and Adderall or Dexedrine?

So far research is pointing me in the direction of many neuroendocrological and neurochemical issues that may be causing these problems:
*Low Serotonin (5-HT1 under-stimulation) causes premature ejaculation
*High dopamine (from amphetamine) can lower serotonin
*I was on SSRIs (paxil, prozac, effexor) during puberty and abrubtly stopped. Many people claim PSSD can explain my symptoms.

*Increased anxiety: lack of passion & PE
*Increased NE levels from adderall can cause anxiety
*Lessened ADHD makes me weigh my desisions better, maybe i should be anxious?

*High Prolactin: PE & stress
*Due to going from dopamine deficient to high levels of dopamine quickly every morning.
*Possibly going unregulation due to low testosterone?

*Low testosterone: Lack of sex drive, aggressiveness, PE, anxiety, stress, insomnia.
*Due to PSSD related endocrine and 5-HT burnout
*Could explain low dopamine, hence ADHD
*Could explain low 5-HT, hence PE
*Could explain high prolactin, hence stress and PE
*Could explain amphetamine worsening symptoms not directly tied to dopamine yet helping cognitive issues (due to dopamine deficiency)

I read that the l-isomer found in Adderall has a more intense effect on nor-epinephrine than the mostly dopamergenic d-isomer. Seeing as how Dexedrine is basically the same thing minus the l-isomer and the time release mechanism maybe I'd be better switching to something like 3 10mg doses of dexedrine a day? I plan on discussing this with my doctor, but she had no idea that stomach acidity interfered with amphetamine absorption so I'd rather get my research right before hand.

As a summary of my interpretation of my symptoms:
Suddenly stopping chronic SSRI treatment during adolescence lead to a upregulation of 5-HT1 receptors (and a downregulation of 5-HT2C). Lowered 5-HT stimulation of the pituitary during adolescence lead to a defect in endogenous GnRH -> LH -> Testicle Development -> Baseline Testosterone.
In turn, deficit baseline testosterone during the final phases of neurological development (14-20ish) has lead to insufficient nigrial stratial activity, thus a subpar pre-frontal dopamine concentration. In turn leading to ADHD.

I propose I have a imbalance in 5-HT receptors (but not 5-HT levels), low testosterone, and low pre-frontal dopamine. Amphetamine up regulates D1 stimulation pre-frontally and treats my cognitive ADHD symptoms. However the sudden increase in dopamine leads to lowered serotonin and increased prolactin. Lowered serotonin exposes my underlying 5-HT receptor mismatch and leads to insufficient 5-HT1 activity (shown to inhibit ejaculation & related to emotions such as passion) while 5-HT2C (shown to promote ejaculation & emotionally flattening) activity remains relatively constant. Increased prolactin and NE further worsen sexual performance.

All this is a shame because amphetamines help me in every other aspect of my life, soo much. But I believe they are treating the symptoms and not the underlying disease. I'm going to get my hormone levels checked to confirm my theory before taking action in seeking treatment.

So my questions to the very informed and always helpful members of this community are:

Is amphetamine shown to decrease testosterone?

Will a d-amphetamine (dexedrine) only approach suit me better? Cause less PE than Adderall?

When "coming down" from amphetamine, usually the time period when I have sex, is PE common? Other forms of sexual dysfunction?

Does anyone with ADHD have similar experience and/or insight in regards to: Post SSRI sexual disfunction or low testosterone?

How should I approach down-regulating my 5-HT1 receptors, therefore increasing 5-HTs agonist activity at the site?

Anyone have any experience with attempting to restart the HPTA axis?
As a side note my plan is, if low test levels are indeed to source of my problems, to use either clomid or nolvadex at a low dose for some time in an attempt to upregulate my endogenous LH and testosterone production. Seeing as how low testosterone is highly correlated to ADHD I'm curious how many men here have had experience with testosterone replacement therapy or the sort of HPTA stimulation I'm researching.

I have a feeling I'm onto something. These past two years have given me so much insight into my thought and through deep introspection and deeper research I think I may be nearing the root of these problems I thought I'd never get away from. Hopefully, if I approach this right, I will be able to "cure" my ADD permanently without having to ruin my sex life with amphetamine.

Thank you so much if you ended up even just reading this very lengthy post! I hope you can make some sort of comment if you think you may have any insight to help both me and the ADHD community as a whole. I also want to apologize for my lack of sources; I was not intending on writing this all out so I've already cut into my study time to much to take the time to annotate and edit everything. (Everything I've found has been on www.pubmed.org).

-Party
n
-Study
The Following User Says Thank You to partynstudy For This Useful Post:
Zahra (09-14-11)
Old 12-07-09, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Greenjuice is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Adderall VS Dexedrine: Male sexual side-effects

21 male here with adhd:

I can't say much but from experience alone, looks like you've researched pretty well ha. When I was on dexadrane everyone looked great to me and I stopped taking it due to over stimulation and switched to Vyvanse, which is basically the same but time released. Point being one of my sypmtoms was over promiscuity and dexadrane alone didn't help that. It made me even more hornier. I'm actually in the process of switching over to adderall because the sexual promiscuity is actually a problem of mine.

Also if your neurotransmitters are out of order try supplementing l-tyrosine at the end of your day taken with B6 can actually restore balance within all of them. And if you are experiencing prejaculation supplement 5TP along with the l-tyrosine.

And if you want to really regulate your hormones and constantly thinking of sex, supplement maca. A powerful adaptogen that can make your sex really enjoyable.

We are all works in progress.
Old 12-07-09, 02:15 PM

liquidmetal will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by partynstudy View Post
How should I approach down-regulating my 5-HT1 receptors, therefore increasing 5-HTs agonist activity at the site?
Periactin (cyproheptadine hydrochloride)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-09, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

hollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nicehollywood is just really nice

Man,

not to sound harsh but I read all of your research and your theory about what you think happened to you regarding your T levels... I'd say your stretching it ,but anythings possible. If that is true then you should balance your hormones first and foremost and get back to baseline. If you truly lacked some maturation due to low t levels then you should tell your doctor and start growth hormone to reverse the process and get to a normal level.
Old 12-08-09, 09:10 AM

partynstudy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenjuice View Post
21 male here with adhd:

I can't say much but from experience alone, looks like you've researched pretty well ha. When I was on dexadrane everyone looked great to me and I stopped taking it due to over stimulation and switched to Vyvanse, which is basically the same but time released. Point being one of my sypmtoms was over promiscuity and dexadrane alone didn't help that. It made me even more hornier. I'm actually in the process of switching over to adderall because the sexual promiscuity is actually a problem of mine.

Also if your neurotransmitters are out of order try supplementing l-tyrosine at the end of your day taken with B6 can actually restore balance within all of them. And if you are experiencing prejaculation supplement 5TP along with the l-tyrosine.

And if you want to really regulate your hormones and constantly thinking of sex, supplement maca. A powerful adaptogen that can make your sex really enjoyable.
Odd how amphetamines can affect similar problems very differently. Honeslty the leveling out of my impulsive sexual tendencies and therefore promiscuity is a good thing; just wish I still felt as sexually spontanoues and driven with the women in my life that matter.

And I tried 5-HT, it was entric coated so I broke it in half and took 50mg before going to sleep. Crazy how much it boosted my mood. I do use drugs recreationally from time to time and was sitting on my couch trying to remember if I dosed anything, lol. I felt really upbeat and untill I remembered I took the 5-HT i thought I had just hit a positive stride! Should I take the 5-HT 100mg entric coated or will that make me drowsy during the day? its exam time so I gotta be sharp! Or will the 5-HT dose at night somehow help me during the day even after its obvious effects have subsided?

What exactly is your andecdotal experience with l-tyrosine in regards to ADHD, mood, libido and cognition? Thanks for discussing this personal issue with me, really helpful man!

Quote:
Periactin
Wow I just read up on this quickly and I'm very intriuged! Sideffects include increased appetite (its mostly a appetite stimulant for cats? lol), and drowsiness though. Although this is very interesting I could only find its HT2A and HT2C antagonist acitities, nothing about its normalization or downregulation of HT1A receptors. Could you point me in the right direction for this? I'm curious what makes you choose this antagonist...Simply research or personal experience? If you could elaborate on this anymore I'd greatly appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hollywood View Post
Man,

not to sound harsh but I read all of your research and your theory about what you think happened to you regarding your T levels... I'd say your stretching it ,but anythings possible. If that is true then you should balance your hormones first and foremost and get back to baseline. If you truly lacked some maturation due to low t levels then you should tell your doctor and start growth hormone to reverse the process and get to a normal level.
Growth hormone? Like HGH or the more sexual one: HCG? I don't really understand the role growth hormone plays in endogenous testosterone levels. Maybe someone could elaborate on the best way to permenatnly boost them. (I don't want a huge spike and the level off like trt, just to mildly boost GnHR for life)
Old 12-09-09, 03:52 PM

xjolt is on a distinguished road

Very interesting...

I share ALOT of these same symptoms.

I'm curious to see were this thread goes, hopefully someone knowledgable can share their insights with us!