ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > General ADD Talk
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Old 02-25-10, 05:06 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 11,251 Times in 5,495 Posts
daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute
motor restlessness

i know they say when we grow up we are supposed to grow out of physical hyperactivity , but i didnt

what i notice though is that i have to types of hyperactivity , and its ALWAYS one or the other

1. hyperactive - just what it says just hyper as all get out, constantly moving talking close to happy obnoxious (not manic , have had that too, but this is add thread)

2. restless- still extremely hyper , but in a bad way, like im crawling out of my skin, i cant escape my thoughts , myself, or this strange inner turmoil i feel

anyone relate, or can make anything out of this
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-25-10), brain chatter (02-25-10), danelady (03-07-10), Derven (03-07-10), ginniebean (03-07-10), madelefant (02-27-10), peripatetic (03-07-10), wsmac (02-26-10)
Old 02-25-10, 05:13 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,265 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute
Re: motor restlessness

I have both forms of restlessness. I dont do the manic talking but I often have a general feeling of edginess and disquiet.
And if its not my head that is being restless its my arms or legs. Like when I am sitting in a chair in the evening. That is when it gets real bad.

Last edited by sarek; 02-25-10 at 06:40 PM..
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sarek For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10), daveddd (02-25-10), ginniebean (03-07-10), meadd823 (02-27-10)
Old 02-25-10, 05:15 PM

daveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond reputedaveddd has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarek View Post
I have both forms of restlessness. I dont do the manic talking but I often have a general feeling of edginess and disquiet.
And if its not my head that is being restless its my arms or legs. Like when I am sitting on a chair in the evening. That is when it get real bad.
thanks

and then people always tell me to quit shaking your leg

i wish it were that easy my friend
Sponsored Links
Old 02-25-10, 05:34 PM
Moderator of mind and heart

Thanked 21,265 Times in 8,598 Posts
sarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond reputesarek has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I get that too. And for about one and a half second that helps.
Old 02-25-10, 05:40 PM

Ice Queen is on a distinguished road

I'm well trained. On the exterior, people have described me as calm and cool, and very aloof and composed.

But inside I'm a burning ball of fire, rage, and self-doubt. And nothing can put out the fire. I'm constantly thinking, jumping from one thought to another, and calculating everything and I can't stop.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ice Queen For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-25-10), danelady (03-07-10), meridian (02-27-10)
Old 02-25-10, 08:48 PM
Contributor

brain chatter is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveddd View Post
i know they say when we grow up we are supposed to grow out of physical hyperactivity , but i didnt

what i notice though is that i have to types of hyperactivity , and its always one or the other

1. Hyperactive - just what it says just hyper as all get out, constantly moving talking close to happy obnoxious (not manic , have had that too, but this is add thread)

2. Restless- still extremely hyper , but in a bad way, like im crawling out of my skin, i cant escape my thoughts , myself, or this strange inner turmoil i feel

mee to the tee
Old 02-25-10, 09:04 PM

westsida will become famous soon enough

I deal with both of those too:

talking to fast, bouncing from one thing to the next, and constantly moving

and the restlessness where it feels like my muscles are going to burst out of my skin and I can't sit still and my mind goes from here to there and back
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to westsida For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10), daveddd (02-26-10)
Old 02-25-10, 09:52 PM

Thanked 13,642 Times in 5,040 Posts
ADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond reputeADHDTigger has a reputation beyond repute

I have a beanbag that I play with in front of the computer. It is the only way that I am able to SIT in front of the computer. If I don't have my toy, I pace. I have a REAL small office.

I have a crochet project next to my place on the sofa. If I want to watch something on TV, I have to have my crochet or a bead project or SOMETHING in my hands as I do so. I have a terrible time going to movies because of this.

I have puzzle books and a novel and my netbook in my bag at all times. I play on my Touch constantly. I cannot ride in the car and do nothing with my hands. OK, I almost managed it once. I was having a heart attack at the time. I was STILL picking at my scarf, my coat, and my bag the whole time.

I am hyper/impulsive (who knew?) and know definitively that my hyper self didn't change much as I aged. I was diagnosed at age four. I am 47 today.

Never forget. "Normal" is just a setting on the washing machine.
Do you really want to be a setting on the washing machine?
If you do, wouldn't you rather be the spin cycle?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ADHDTigger For This Useful Post:
daveddd (02-26-10), meridian (02-27-10), salleh (03-06-10)
Old 02-26-10, 09:04 AM

sure is awful my life consists of 3 forms of hyper

1 and 2 already mentioned

and the occasional hypomanic to manic

needless to say i havent slept through a night in as long as i can remember

i think i pace in my sleep
The Following User Says Thank You to daveddd For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10)
Old 02-26-10, 09:08 AM
Contributor

woke up bout 2:30...thinkin bout the "I hate ?'s thread" coffee and puter

sleep is great...when I can
The Following User Says Thank You to brain chatter For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10)
Old 02-26-10, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain chatter View Post
woke up bout 2:30...thinkin bout the "I hate ?'s thread" coffee and puter

sleep is great...when I can
its a great vent isnt it

almost therapeutic
Old 02-26-10, 09:17 AM
Contributor

Quote:
its a great vent isnt it

almost therapeutic
absolutely!...I got like 10 sticky notes full...and ready to be put on thread
Old 02-26-10, 11:27 AM
Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,114 Times in 541 Posts
wsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud ofwsmac has much to be proud of

I'm 49 and I just don't see any possibility of me stopping my hyperactive ways.

When I'm on the phone... I pace... all over the house or room I'm in, although sometimes I will even walk outside. I actually laughed the first time I saw my daughter do this on the phone, when she was a little kid. I knew she got that from me! Proud Papa that I am...

Watching a movie on the tv? I either talk alot or move around, bounce legs, get up and grab something to have in my hands...
I even break out the guitar sometimes depending on the movie and whether I'm alone or not.

My legs are bouncing right now, as a matter of fact.. while I sit here and type and download Ubuntu on another computer next to me.

At work, everyone knows how restless I am. I'd rather walk down the hall to the waiting room and call the next patient to the lab, than use the phone to call our volunteer ladies who sit next to the waiting room, to bring the patient down for us.
It's really agitating for me to stand in the lab waiting for the patient to be brought down to me.

At work when there's nothing happening at the moment, I can't just sit/stand there and chit-chat with the other people. Oh.. I can be part of the conversation alright... long as I can also load the copier with paper, check the pool draw window on the computer, restock something...

If I don't want to do the whole socializing thing, I'll just move through the lab looking for more work to do. If I don't find any, I'll walk around to the Emergency Room to see what's going on there.

At concerts/plays, I am SO relieved when there is an intermission! The people who sit around me are probably just as relieved!
Those tiny theater seats... I'm 6'2" and 220lbs... when my legs start bouncing, and I start tapping my hands on my thighs(I try to keep the noise low, at least), and my body is rocking to the rhythm of the music... I just know I'm probably annoying someone around me.

And not to forget... my sudden vocalizations during concerts!
Not just a WOOHOO or YEEHAW sort of thing like other people are doing.
Sometimes the music gets me so wound up I YELP (best description for it).
I sometimes try to hold it in... but it builds... and builds... and builds... until I can't contain it any longer!

I'll bet it scares the s**t out of some of those people sometimes.
At least I don't do it all concert long, and it's usually contained for music like Cajun/Zydeco, Old Timey/Bluegrass, and Celtic. So far, I've never done this at a Classical event

In the car... I have finally started leaving my grip exercisers in the pocket of the driver's door. I try to use these instead of messing around with my ipod, or phone, or notebook, or....

I can just pull out whichever exerciser I want and work out both of my forearms and hands.

In addition to all this stuff... my mind is also going through all sorts of mental exercises.
I glance around wherever I am at, checking out interesting people, animals, shrubbery, patterns in things....
I like to look at people's shoes.... yep... ole wsmac has some sort of shoe fetish I suppose. Nothing sexual, I just find people's footwear choices interesting. I analyze it all quite well too!

I have mentioned my experiences with jury duty here before.
I have always worried I might be mistaken for a 'tweaker' (meth addict), because I am always fidgeting around.... OH... and scratching!

Does anyone else here get all itchy?
At the Les Ballets Trockadero de Monte Carlo, two days ago, I got this itch in my scalp... scratched it... then had an itch in my shoulder... then back to my head, my knee, around my back.... IT NEVER STOPPED!

I eventually tried to stop scratching just to quit squirming around in my seat so much.
I think after scratching one spot... I start to sorta hyperfocus on the rest of my body and pick up on little sensations that my mind tells me is an itch.
Weird... huh?

=========
I know have a new diagnosis: Attention Difference Display / Happy Dance (ADD/HD)... I think it fits!
=========

Sometimes I worry that if I don't slow down... I'll run my batteries down and won't be able to recharge myself... powered down permanently at such a young age!
The Following User Says Thank You to wsmac For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10)
Old 02-26-10, 03:58 PM
ADDvanced Contributor

mhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of lightmhyper790 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:

what i notice though is that i have to types of hyperactivity , and its ALWAYS one or the other

1. hyperactive - just what it says just hyper as all get out, constantly moving talking close to happy obnoxious (not manic , have had that too, but this is add thread)

2. restless- still extremely hyper , but in a bad way, like im crawling out of my skin, i cant escape my thoughts , myself, or this strange inner turmoil i feel

WoW! You sound like a duplicate of me!.. I am the same way so yes I can definitely relate.

In my personnel view I find that with me, when I am hyper I also tend to get very restless, so i nmy case they are together and not seprate instances. I wonder though if it is possible that being both restless and Hyper could be all one related item, and that maybe sometimes one might feel restless, or hyper or both...But May not notice the other "type" since they are experimenting one type more significantly.

(Wow that sounded complicated even for me)

You can know the name of a bird in all the languages of the world, but when you're finished, you'll know absolutely nothing whatever about the bird... So let's look at the bird and see what it's doing -- that's what counts. I learned very early the difference between knowing the name of something and knowing something.

Richard Feynman (1918 - 1988)

The Following User Says Thank You to mhyper790 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10)
Old 02-26-10, 04:21 PM
ADDvanced Member

dugup1254 has a spectacular aura aboutdugup1254 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Well living a short distance from Cleveland myself, we know that we cannot blame our hyperactivity on all the things the city as to offer .

While I do have the restless legs, almost every second of my life, I really do not find myself too hyperactive physically. I can get restless at times, but I can also generally sleep fairly well at night. If I were describe me it would be that most of my hyperactiveness (is that a word?) comes from my mind rather than my physical stature. I can't ever focus on one thing, and I can never complete a task in full. I have trouble prioritizing my tasks, and generally find myself running out of time. However, if I have a timeframe and a project that I like doing, I can have the project done two weeks early. When I do begin to pay attention to one task, I cannot multitask too well. Everything from time, conversations, and even short term memory (appointments mostly) go out the window.

That's a little about me! I'm done ranting for the time being
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dugup1254 For This Useful Post:
ADHDTigger (02-26-10), birdchica (02-27-10)