ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Careers/Job Impact
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Careers/Job Impact This forum is for adults to discuss how AD/HD affects work and career.

Old 04-27-06, 02:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

bekahboo714 has disabled reputation
How will Meds affect my work?

I'm a bit confused. I'm newly diagnosed and just started meds. Will the meds enable me to not resist authority so much, have more motivation and less procrastination, or are those things that meds can't change? I'm getting ready to find a new job and I'm worried that the same pitfalls will still be there even on meds. Thanks.
Old 04-27-06, 11:27 PM
Forum Guru

sloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of lightsloppitty-sue is a glorious beacon of light
Hi Bekah,

I've read that an ADHD medication's degree of effectiveness varies by individual. Some people claim that the meds have had a HUGE positive affect on their abilities in the workplace, etc., while others claim that none of the meds are helpful - and, in some cases, actually make things worse.

I hope you have a positive response to the medication; however, I would urge you NOT to expect any kind of "magic pill" effect. If you sincerely try your hardest each day to NOT resist authority, to not procrastinate and to be motivated - then you may be helped by the meds. However, if you're like ME - alot of my resistance to authority, procrastination, and lack of motivation stems from other psychological issues than my ADHD. Therefore, in spite of taking my meds each day - my behavior has lately been very poor. (I'm in therapy "working" on my issues.)

When I first tried the ADHD meds, I DID experience great improvement. Right now I'm very depressed about some stuff - and my ADHD meds are not MAGICAL enough to change me back into the innocent, untainted girl I once was.
Old 04-28-06, 02:15 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,015 Times in 638 Posts
QueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant futureQueensU_girl has a brilliant future
Good Question: I have not found much difference. I am more awake, maybe? Hyper? (I think i'm a sleepy inattentive.)
Sponsored Links