ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > TREATMENT & MANAGEMENT > Medications > Adderall
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adderall (four amphetamine salts)

Old 04-17-09, 03:40 AM

demitriden will become famous soon enough
Anyone here tried Wellbutrin or Strattera?

What was it like for you compared to adderall?
Old 04-17-09, 06:33 AM

clgoody is on a distinguished road
Re: Anyone here tried Wellbutrin or Strattera?

I started on Strattera. I didn't feel it did anything for me other than give me horrible side effects. Honestly, I never noticed it "doing anything" and by that I mean nothing improved. My second med was Wellbutrin. I suffered no major side effects, so that was a plus (some jaw clenching was all). But I noticed no difference with this one either. I could have been taking pez and gotten the same results.

I've been on Adderall for a month now. The difference is night and day. It's hard for me to describe but things are just a bit easier. If I make up my mind to actually work (at work) I can plow through things. I can actually concentrate on the task in front of me, as the rest of the world seems quieter, slowed down. Maybe that doesn't make sense, I dunno. My mind seems less muddled, so everything seems clearer. My memory is a bit better too. I am still forgetting, but not to the extreme. It's kind of like there's a snapshot of my to-do list in my head and I've actually been checking things off.

I never got the "euphoria" thing, at least not like others have described it. On the first day with Adderall, I was sitting at the mall, waiting for my son to get called in for his haircut. This though occurs to me. I feel calm, relaxed. Everything around me seemed to slow down. My mind wasn't racing with a million thoughts (wow...how nice did that feel?). I didn't feel like I needed to be moving. I didn't feel impatient like I normally would. It's always been hard for me to sit around. I get so bored and this antsy, itchy feeling would overcome me. This anxiousness has always been hard for me. Like it really drove me nuts to sit home all day on a Saturday. This has been a lot better since starting the Adderall.

I know everyone reacts differently to all these meds. This is just my experience, so far.
Old 04-17-09, 11:07 AM
ADDvanced Member

RecruitDir is on a distinguished road

I've been on all 3; straterra is nothing like Adderall and left me drained and apathetic/zombified. Adderall by itself is great - but difficult with the drop off, the downside isn't worth the positive in my opinion. WBXL is much like a low-dose steady-state Adderall and gives the 24/7 coverage for my ADHD I need. The two together AdderallXR and WBXL is the best, 24/7 smooth coverage and sharp focus (raises the ADHD theraputic effect WBXL provides) and NO Falloff in the PM. I'd go for the last one if possible. Another option is WBXL daily, AdderallIR when needed. However, I do need the 24/7 coverage, verses 8-12 Adderall+Adderall booster provides. (PS- WB is an Amphetimine derivative and is technically classified as an Amphetimine/Stimulant, on it's own - that is why it is like a steady-state low dose of Adderall, but without the hyperness and intense euphoria Adderall can supply at high doses).
Sponsored Links
Old 04-17-09, 01:46 PM

thanks for sharing your experiences both of you.

clgoody: sounds like you are the hyperactive subtype (i'm the inattentive). my experience on adderall the exact opposite of you. the drug allowed me to be how you described your "normal" self, but since i am always lethargic, patient, lazy... being like the "normal" you, active, with thoughts racing, was quite profound positive change for me. i'm very glad that you found adderall to work for you! what is your dosage? have you tried ritalin? majority of hyperactive ADDers respond really well to that.

RecruitDir: your synergistic regiment was exactly what i want! i'm very interested in your case. are you inattentive or hyperactive? did you take wellb first or adderall first, and for how long? what were the effects you felt on the first drug.. and then the second one supplemented into your regiment?
Old 04-17-09, 02:43 PM
ADDvanced Member

When I was a boy I was hyperactive, and not knowing how to deal with me they labled me LD or learning disabled. Gotta love schools. Was retested as an Adult and found mostly ADD. I took the Adderall first for a year, and even with boosters couldn't handle the falloffs, requested WB after reading about the combo in Driven to Distraction, as it provided both ADD and antidepresant coverage 24/7, and could cover the gaps where the Adderall was past it's halflife. Is all perfect - no, when I first took WB the energy was too much and I felt like I did a line of crank, which wasn't fun - especially as the Adderall had ceased to do this and mellowed me, which I liked. But after a few weeks the speedy feeling ceased and the Adderall/WB feel sort of just blended. Now I am concerned though because I feel awful when I do'nt take the WB, am I becoming like a crack-addict addicted to/dependent on another stim? This is bothering me.
Old 04-17-09, 02:58 PM

So you are normally hyperactive but taking the combo slows your body/mind down so you can have a sense of mental clarity?

When you are saying that they are now blended, are you saying that since you have added wellb, you feel the positive effects that adderall did for you (before adding in wellb) almost 24/7 now?
Old 04-17-09, 05:39 PM
ADDvanced Member

Now diagnosed as Inattentive/ADD, as a boy had both - but I've calmed somewhat. Yes, I get a clarity, or less noise with the combo. By blended, I mean I've gotten used to the meds. You see WB and Adderall have a similar feel - but the WB by itself, is like a low steady dose vs the climb peak and fall. The combined feel is a longer lasting mid-point, higher than WB by itself, but not as extreme as Adderall solo. The plus is it lasts longer, the downside is muted euphoria (if euphoria is desired). however, overall - I feel happier.

What I am doing now is Addy in the 7:00AM and 2:00 Booster, w/WB SR 150 at 4:00PM. On weekends I drop the Adderall and take WB300XL which picks up the slack of no Addy (or = No Tiredness), and prevents tolerence.
Old 04-17-09, 07:39 PM

clgoody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by demitriden View Post
thanks for sharing your experiences both of you.

clgoody: sounds like you are the hyperactive subtype (i'm the inattentive). my experience on adderall the exact opposite of you. the drug allowed me to be how you described your "normal" self, but since i am always lethargic, patient, lazy... being like the "normal" you, active, with thoughts racing, was quite profound positive change for me. i'm very glad that you found adderall to work for you! what is your dosage? have you tried ritalin? majority of hyperactive ADDers respond really well to that.
Funny, I'm actually diagnosed as inattentive. I think I do have some characteristics of hyperactivity, but they are definitely not as pronounced. For me, the hyperactivity comes out as a need to be stimulated. It's not that I can't sit still. I can..if I'm stimulated constantly. The internet is great for me because I can constantly change what I'm looking at, reading etc. I'm not a big TV fan. I use it to fall asleep, but that's about it. Other examples...I hate to sit home with nothing to do. On vacation, I could never sit at the beach. I need to be seeing stuff, experiencing things. Theme parks, for example, are a perfect get away for me. I eat a lot too. Something I only recently attributed to the ADD. It gives me something to do and it's stimulation too. So, anyway, I'm not hyper, bouncing off the walls, I just need something or I start to feel anxious and "itchy."

I'm currently on Adderall IR 20mg twice a day. Nope, I've never tried Ritalin. Adderall is my fourth med. I was on Concerta right before the Adderall. It was okay, but I definitely like the Adderall better. Concerta made me feel this intense urgency to complete "X" task and distractions at work aggitated me to the point of being rude to others.
Old 04-17-09, 11:22 PM
ADDvanced Member

KillZone can only hope to improve

Hearing the word "Strattera" makes me want to blow up the world! That was by far the worst med ever created. It sent me into a downward spiral into the pits of a boring and dark life. I was on it when I was a 5th grader until late 6th grade. I also lost weight (Not a good thing then), because Strattera made me fear that I was going to choke (Not fun at all!) I have heard simalar stories. I would recomend a stimulant, becuase thats what a brain that has ADD or ADHD lacks. They have recently came across that people with ADD ADHD produce less Dopamine and something like Amphetamine (Adderall) or Methamphetamine (Desoxyn) help curb ADD or ADHD.