ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adult Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Adult Diagnosis & Treatment This forum is for the discussion of issues related to the diagnosis of AD/HD

Old 11-13-19, 12:14 PM

Acex20 is on a distinguished road
Doctor can't prescribe me adderall because I tested positive for THC

I fully admit I shouldn't have been smoking, but I was off my anxiety meds and the only thing that helped with anxiety and depression was weed. I had to take a drug test every 6 months because I was prescribed adderall. The doctor said it was a state thing. I live in Pennsylvania. Well I tested positive for THC and she said she can't prescribe them to me anymore. I got my medical marijuana card after testing positive hoping that would solve the issue. My doctor told me that my drug test is submitted to a PA drug test database and because I didn't have my card when I tested positive it is still considered illegal. She told me that I could see a psychologist and they could override my positive test.

I'm currently on Strattera because it is the only other non-stimulant medication according to my doctor. It doesn't help me at all like the adderall did. I'm curious if anyone has had to deal with something like this or has any advice to give. Thanks
Old 11-16-19, 01:41 PM

PoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud ofPoppnNSailinMan has much to be proud of
Re: Doctor can't prescribe me adderall because I tested positive for THC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acex20 View Post
She told me that I could see a psychologist and they could override my positive test.

I'm currently on Strattera because it is the only other non-stimulant medication according to my doctor. It doesn't help me at all like the adderall did. I'm curious if anyone has had to deal with something like this or has any advice to give. Thanks
Hi Acex20 and welcome to AddForums,

Your doctor's advice to go see a psychologist and convince them to override your test result sounds good to me. What other options are there that would allow your doctor to prescribe Adderall again?

I haven't ever tested positive for THC, but I recently had the unpleasant experience of going online to check my medical lab results a week after I had had my blood drawn and a urine sample taken only to discover that my doctor had run a drug test on me in addition to the other tests he usually has done. I've been his patients for more than two years and he had never done a drug test on me before (and in fact, I had never before had a drug test). Apparently there is a new policy at the clinic where I go to perform periodic drug tests on all patients with prescriptions for controlled substances. There was nothing surprising in my results which showed that I was positive for amphetamine (I take Vyvanse) and negative for all the other substances tested for. Nevertheless, I was a little upset that my doctor had ordered this test without telling me beforehand about the new policy and asking for my consent.
Bart Simpson (to the tune of “I'm Popeye the Sailor Man”): “When I can’t stop my fiddlin’, I just takes me Ritalin, I’m poppin’ and sailin’, man!” (“Brother’s Little Helper,” Season 11, episode 2, aired 10/3/99)
The Following User Says Thank You to PoppnNSailinMan For This Useful Post:
Greyhound1 (11-16-19)
Old 11-19-19, 05:33 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,261 Times in 2,957 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acex20 View Post
I fully admit I shouldn't have been smoking, but I was off my anxiety meds and the only thing that helped with anxiety and depression was weed. I had to take a drug test every 6 months because I was prescribed adderall. The doctor said it was a state thing. I live in Pennsylvania. Well I tested positive for THC and she said she can't prescribe them to me anymore. I got my medical marijuana card after testing positive hoping that would solve the issue. My doctor told me that my drug test is submitted to a PA drug test database and because I didn't have my card when I tested positive it is still considered illegal. She told me that I could see a psychologist and they could override my positive test.

Can you check the situation with the state authorities?

Plenty of doctors take a very hard line and blame it on the state rules--- when some of them are really only responding to a personal policy of their own.

Once you are clear as to the situation you could be in a better position to bargain.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
musicman64 (12-07-19), PoppnNSailinMan (11-19-19)
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-19, 05:35 AM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 6,261 Times in 2,957 Posts
Kunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond reputeKunga Dorji has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppnNSailinMan View Post
Hi Acex20 and welcome to AddForums,

Your doctor's advice to go see a psychologist and convince them to override your test result sounds good to me. What other options are there that would allow your doctor to prescribe Adderall again?

I haven't ever tested positive for THC, but I recently had the unpleasant experience of going online to check my medical lab results a week after I had had my blood drawn and a urine sample taken only to discover that my doctor had run a drug test on me in addition to the other tests he usually has done. I've been his patients for more than two years and he had never done a drug test on me before (and in fact, I had never before had a drug test). Apparently there is a new policy at the clinic where I go to perform periodic drug tests on all patients with prescriptions for controlled substances. There was nothing surprising in my results which showed that I was positive for amphetamine (I take Vyvanse) and negative for all the other substances tested for. Nevertheless, I was a little upset that my doctor had ordered this test without telling me beforehand about the new policy and asking for my consent.

You have every reason to be upset. Adding extra tests without telling you is a clear cut breach of accepted medical ethics.

Whenever you see a crowd all rushing in the same direction on any one issue, run in the opposite direction.

There is neither fun nor profit to be had in polishing the brass knobs on a bandwagon.
Nicholas Nasseem Taleb.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kunga Dorji For This Useful Post:
Lunacie (11-19-19), PoppnNSailinMan (11-19-19)
Old 11-20-19, 02:44 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 33,115 Times in 15,360 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

I think you need a different doctor. You need a fresh start and to be able to sit down and openly admit you have a medical card and start over.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Kunga Dorji (11-20-19), musicman64 (12-07-19)