ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Relationships & Social Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Relationships & Social Issues This forum is for adults with AD/HD to discuss how AD/HD affects personal relationships.

Old 10-01-04, 12:32 PM
ADDvanced Member

moxee33 will become famous soon enough
Question Drugs for Irritability? - ADHD

My last appointment with my Doctor, he suggested I take lamictal to take the edge off my irritability. I told him the best way to take reduce my irritability was to MEDICATE MY HUSBAND!

I promised him I'd think about it, so I checked out the websites on it and its not like taking aspirin! It has lots of potential side effects. I'm not bi-polar, so I am wondering if this is overkill?

Can anyone else tell me if they have taken it for irritability? does it help? any comments would be appreciated!

How irritable is too irritable? (assuming I am not killing people) who is supposed to decide? If i wasn't irritated, I wouldn't get motivated to do things like write complaint letters about restaurant employees that don't wash their hands when they go to the bathroom!

Also, can anyone tell me if they have tried other medications for irritability and if its worked?

I still think treating the irritating spouses is a cheaper and better alternative....

Old 10-01-04, 12:40 PM
Forum ADDvocate

paulbf will become famous soon enough
I can't say I really recommend SSRI's but they do takes the worries away. I tend to be tense and difficult in my own supressed way and was really laid back on effexor.

Does the lamictal fit in with your Dr. Amen type as an anticonvulsant? I forget how he explains it.
Old 10-01-04, 12:50 PM
ADDvanced Forum Guru

exeter is on a distinguished road
For myself, I'm willing to try out any new med my doc suggests. If I have side effects that are intolerable, then I go back to him and see what we can do about it.

I've never taken this particular drug, but the side effect profile didn't look too bad. Side effects are divided up as "common", "uncommon", and "rare", generally. The most common side effects seem to be a minor rash, nausea, headache, and insomnia. Those are probably manageable, but, if not, nothing stops you from stopping the drug after consulting the doc.

How irritable is too irritable? Well, that depends, I guess! I would say if you were irritible enough to bring it up with the doc, you might be getting there. It's up to you, of course, and if it doesn't interfere with your life or make you miserable, then I'd say you're fine without any additional medication.

As for other meds for irritibility, antidepressants sometimes work (irritibility is a sign of depression, too, but they do tend to work even when there's not depression present).
Sponsored Links
Old 10-01-04, 01:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Ian has disabled reputation
endorphins are my fave..
ian
>>>Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?

Old 10-01-04, 01:27 PM

RhapsodyInBlue has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by itschaotic
endorphins are my fave..
ian
I'm not saying a word
Old 10-01-04, 02:06 PM
ADDvanced Member

Ace is on a distinguished road
Moxie33, I think you are GREAT!

I know there are psychiatric uses for Lamictal, but my husband takes it for seizure prevention, and in addition to it not being real wonderful for that, it is very VERY expensive. I hope you have good insurance! Also the Deadly Rash as a side effect if you don't titrate very slowly would give me pause.

I startedthe SSRI Lexapro 4 weeks ago. I didn't want to, but I have to admit that it has made me less irritable, less tense, negative, anxious and less hopeless. I smile inside finding myself as nicey-nice as the people I previously felt like cutting off in traffic for poking along the highway looking at the flowers.

I had earned a reputation for being creative and lively, but also "prickly" and "controlling." I kinda expected to always be that way. I guess if I meet my theraputic goals and go off "Lexie" I'll be argumentative again some day. Good luck with whatever you choose.

Now what about my Vioxx!@#%?
Old 10-01-04, 03:18 PM

Wheezie has disabled reputation
i don't know if this is common, but, i make sure my dexedrine doesn't wear off until *after* the kids are in bed.

if i'm irritable, i know i've missed a dose. i take 5mg every 4 hours. if i wake up early and every four hours means the last dose wears off before i need it to, i take an extra dose of 2.5 mg around 6pm.

i also make *double* sure that i take every dose if i'm going to be around people that annoy me. i'm sure they don't do it on purpose, but, literal-minded people can be *so* hard to communicate with. *every* joke needs to be explained. and you have to be *so* careful to avoid double entendres. they are *sure* to pick the wrong meaning....
Old 10-01-04, 06:47 PM
ADDvanced Member

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace
Moxie33, I think you are GREAT!
I startedthe SSRI Lexapro 4 weeks ago. I didn't want to, but I have to admit that it has made me less irritable, less tense, negative, anxious and less hopeless. I smile inside finding myself as nicey-nice as the people I previously felt like cutting off in traffic for poking along the highway looking at the flowers.
Thanks ACE...you made my day. You really are an ACE!
The laxapro sounds good. I wonder if I can get that instead. I was thinking as I read your post that I'd like to be "less irritable, less tense, negative, anxious and less hopeless" also. Then I thought BUT THAT WOULDN'T BE ME!!!! is that a sign of a warped brain? I guess I am so used to how I feel that being any other way makes me feel like I'd be fake! What do you think?

I have a feeling that if I get on this stuff and my husband (who is known for saying things before he thinks things through) says "wow you are so much nicer" my reaction will be "WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN? are you saying I wasn't a nice person before?" Does anyone want to hear that it took drugs to make them a more lovable person???

Exeter, I am like you, I'll swallow pretty much any pill. None of that "my body is a temple stuff for me!" The only side effect that I can't tolerate is headaches. That really gets to me. I can take nausea, vertigo, rash gash whatever! But pounding headaches that don't go away with Advil really bring me down. And it was my husband that told the doctor I was irritable. I knew I shouldn't have taken him with me to the appointment!

So let me get this straight. This lamictal and lexapro..are they different than effexor and straterra and wellbutrin? because I tried those and they made me feel completely blank. It felt like the hamster in my head was dead. I had no thoughts in my head all day. It was really scary for me...from too many thoughts to NO thoughts. I felt like one of those people that work at the DMV

Old 10-01-04, 11:40 PM

fasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura aboutfasttalkingmom has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxee33
My last appointment with my Doctor, he suggested I take lamictal to take the edge off my irritability. I told him the best way to take reduce my irritability was to MEDICATE MY HUSBAND!

I still think treating the irritating spouses is a cheaper and better alternative....

very funny.......

just to let you know, my irritating husband does take lamictal and still is irritating.....

I have another though of a way to treat the one who is irritating but that wouldn't be legal...
Old 10-02-04, 02:36 AM
Forum ADDvocate

You never know, everyone is different but I think lexapro would make you nimb like effexor. I don't know about lamictal. Wellbutrin didn't do much to my mood. Effexor, I enjoyed the peacefulness but in retrospect I missed having strong feelings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxee33
So let me get this straight. This lamictal and lexapro..are they different than effexor and straterra and wellbutrin? because I tried those and they made me feel completely blank. It felt like the hamster in my head was dead. I had no thoughts in my head all day. It was really scary for me...from too many thoughts to NO thoughts. I felt like one of those people that work at the DMV
Old 10-02-04, 03:35 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttalkingmom
just to let you know, my irritating husband does take lamictal and still is irritating..... I have another though of a way to treat the one who is irritating but that wouldn't be legal...
Holy cow!!! are you serious about the first part?? I just got a starter pack from my Doctor for the Lamictal. Doesn't it sound like a Yiddish word by the way? "the shlemiel, the shlemazel amd the lamictal walked into a bar....."

I wonder whats next if the lamictal doesn't work? a lobodomy?

As far as new ways of treating irritating spouses, betcha I've thought of it already!!!

Old 10-02-04, 03:44 AM
ADDvanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbf
Effexor, I enjoyed the peacefulness but in retrospect I missed having strong feelings.
I think thats why ADD is so damned hard to treat. We can't compare feelings. Is my "dead hamster" feeling the same as your "peacefulness"?

Do non-ADD people walk around with half a hamster so to speak? If I had a choice, I'd still rather have my hamster run on the wheel at ALL times!

By the way, have you ever wondered why are hamsters so chubby when they exercise almost constantly? You'd think they'd look like those stick insects on Discovery channel!

Old 10-02-04, 11:59 AM
Forum ADDvocate

If you got a cripipled hamster on SSRI's, that'll probably be the case for other SSRI's unless combined with stimulants makes it more reasonable if you haven't tried them together.

I didn't feel my hamster was crippled but when I quit, I realized I could once again have strong pleasurable feelings. I also didn't try combined with stimulants though. I'm actually trying my left over effexor now at a very low dose with the stimulants to see how that goes.

OK I looked up the lamictal anticonvulsant route for temporal lobe type ADD according to Amen that's the angry irritable type and he recommends Neurontin (which is quite mild for calming) as a first choice, then several other anticonvulsants all of which have side effects and most require additional screening for blood levels, liver damage, etc. Carbatrol, Depakene, Depakote, Topomax, Lamictal & Dilantin. Lamictal has the least side effects & doesn't require other monitoring. Neurontin is likely to do nothing but may work and has pretty much zero side effects.

Think about what that irritability really is all about. Is it an energy which can be channeled in a more positive way? If you got busy with your business would that relieve it or channel it into productive hamster juice or is it a different type of energy? Or is it simply being grumpy about not being understood by hubby? Is there anxiety (fear) involved in the irritability? It is odd how anger and depression work together; depression can be the result of bottled up anger, or possibly anger can be channeled as hamster juice to pull yourself out of depression as long as it it goes toward some productive work & doesn't just become anger. Taking action to correct the situation that makes you mad should be able to relieve it. The thought of an angry hamster is not a pleasant image. Sometimes things are just too fouled up so that you cannot break out & take action and that's when medications are useful for a while to let you get out of that cycle. Sometimes masking the symptoms for a while can be what's needed to get over the hump.
Old 10-04-04, 03:06 AM
ADDvanced Member

Hamster back on the wheel!

Hi Paul,

Quote:
OK I looked up the lamictal anticonvulsant route for temporal lobe type ADD according to Amen that's the angry irritable type
Thanks for caring enough to look it up My Amen quiz results said I wasn't the T.L type...but I may be limbic system or basal ganglia hyperactive! I think many of the types can be irritable. I think my husband would have made Mother Theresa irritable!

Quote:
Think about what that irritability really is all about. Is it an energy which can be channeled in a more positive way? If you got busy with your business would that relieve it or channel it into productive hamster juice or is it a different type of energy? Or is it simply being grumpy about not being understood by hubby? Is there anxiety (fear) involved in the irritability? It is odd how anger and depression work together; depression can be the result of bottled up anger, or possibly anger can be channeled as hamster juice to pull yourself out of depression as long as it it goes toward some productive work & doesn't just become anger. Taking action to correct the situation that makes you mad should be able to relieve it.
Totally great advice and really on the mark.
Yes working on my business always makes me happier, except when I freeze because I am afraid to fail. The longer I put off starting the business...the longer I can keep dreaming about having a business and how great I'd be at it.

The hubby really does make me grumpy, no doubt about it! I've told him that I want him to tell me I'll succeed at anything I try. I guess I want him to say the things my parents never said. But he can't/won't or maybe just isn't comfortable saying that stuff because he never heard it growing up either. I need to give up my fantasy of my husband as my cheerleader.

The other part is that I wanted to think that even if I wasn't a good business woman, I was going to be a really great wife. Its been depressing for me to hear that not only am I not great...I'm actually a bad wife.

You asked me
Is there anxiety (fear) involved in the irritability?. The answer to that is abso-*******-loutely! He scares the heck out of me when he starts with the "I don't know if we are compatible" routine. I have told him to stop it because its hurtful...but he still says it. Having the possibility of divorce hanging over my head every other month depresses me. My depression turns into rage and hate when I think that the person who has promised to love and cherish me is deliberately hurting me. I'm sure he is hoping to motivate me into changing my behavior...but it has the opposite effect.
Quote:
Taking action to correct the situation that makes you mad should be able to relieve it.

I honestly try hard to be positive (my complete break down yesterday is not normal for me) I went and bought a new book on communication today (to add to the hundreds I already own!) and I signed up for a couples relationship clinic (without telling my husband).
I'll keep you posted on his reaction when he sees the $500 charge on his credit card when he gets back!

Last edited by moxee33; 10-04-04 at 03:12 AM..
Old 10-05-04, 11:04 AM

pharmacy boy is on a distinguished road
i find that nine times out of ten my irritability stems from my girlfriend, now if i can just get her to take something from it...