ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > General Parenting Issues
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

General Parenting Issues The purpose of this forum is to discuss general parenting issues related to children with AD/HD(ADD & ADHD)

Old 10-07-17, 06:48 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,892 Times in 13,071 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Impulse control and sweets

I can only share my own story and forgive the typing as Ive just had hand surgery. Now I have a history of trauma so thats not part of your story but I remember sneaking junk food as a kid as long as I could remember and I believe it was the addict in me. I am an alcoholic now but as a kid, all I had was junk that gave you that quick sugar high and then it was back to reality. Id like to think if my mother knew more she woudnt have kept that crap in the house so I could have developed other things to look forward to but who knows? I ended up an alcoholic with a weight problem. I lost all the weight and guess what? I was still an alcoholic and getting sober was brutal and I would never want to go through that again. Dont have crap in the house. No junk, it at least cuts his options down and in reality, kids dont need icecreams and sweets to live right? At parties or something special is one thing but at home IMO it sets the stage for a beast thats hard to reign in.

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
Fuzzy12 (10-07-17), Little Missy (10-09-17)
Old 10-09-17, 07:41 AM
Contributor

Caco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of lightCaco3girl is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcosta21980 View Post
Dear god I feel like people like to find reasons to tear people down! I donít have a glitch with sweets, I just stated that I gave him a brownie with his meal! My issue and concern is he is getting up at 1 or 2 in the morning and binging on sugar. I use the term taboo because his behavior of sneaking it makes me feel like HE thinks itís taboo. My kids get a dessert every day should they eat decent food first. They are by NO MEANS deprived of sugar. I truly donít understand why people canít see why I am concerned about it but rest assured this will be my last response because I no longer find this thread helpful
Not trying to tear down, lots of people have issues with sweets. Why do I think you have an issue/glitch with sweets?
1. You started this post talking about his poor food choices at night being sweets.
2. You talked about reading about how to make sweets less taboo.
3. Other people posted about not having the candy or the sweets in the house and you seemed to respond to that.

There are many people on this thread that have an issue with sweets. Personally, I'm not one of them. I'll take empty calories over no calories just to try and keep some of the weight ON, since both my kids are bean poles.
Old 10-09-17, 12:02 PM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 28,892 Times in 13,071 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcosta21980 View Post
Dear god I feel like people like to find reasons to tear people down! I donít have a glitch with sweets, I just stated that I gave him a brownie with his meal! My issue and concern is he is getting up at 1 or 2 in the morning and binging on sugar. I use the term taboo because his behavior of sneaking it makes me feel like HE thinks itís taboo. My kids get a dessert every day should they eat decent food first. They are by NO MEANS deprived of sugar. I truly donít understand why people canít see why I am concerned about it but rest assured this will be my last response because I no longer find this thread helpful
Wow-wee I missed this and I do hope you come back to this thread. I didnt mean to imply that sweets were bad and should be denied or that you are somehow pushing him to eat them or are a bad influence or anything you may have thought I meant. I just meant that if binging on sweets is the issue than eliminating them would be the solution at least for the sneaking part. I used to have to keep weight on my son and he would have milkshakes and sweets in addition to the good food. It seemed like you were asking for help with this but maybe I misunderstood?

I carried a watermelon?

I've always been one of a kind. It just hasnt always been positive.
Sponsored Links