ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > ADULTS AND ADD/ADHD > Adults with ADD > Women with ADD/ADHD
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Women with ADD/ADHD This forum is for women to discuss issues related to being a woman with AD/HD.

Old 03-30-18, 01:38 AM
Jr Member

mercurialmage is on a distinguished road
Inattentive type, but still impulsive?

For years I've known that I don't have the symptoms of hyperactivity. At least, not in the sense that I have to be constantly moving or I'm running on a motor. I do get impatient having to sit for long meetings and things of that nature, yes.
But I'm curious if those who are just the inattentive type also have the impulsivity? Is impulsivity a general symptom of all ADD/ADHD?
I wonder because I have made a plethora of impulsive decisions throughout life that resulted in intense shame. And sometimes I just want to say, "My god, don't you know better?!" Vicious cycle sometimes.
I've been aware I've had ADD my whole life but am just now truly getting treated. So there's some informational gaps for me to fill, I suppose you could say.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mercurialmage For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-30-18), Kaia.S (03-30-18), kwalk (04-09-18), mctavish23 (03-30-18), PI-ADHD 29 (10-10-18), stef (03-31-18)
Old 03-30-18, 04:46 AM
ADDvanced Member

DeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to beholdDeClutter is a splendid one to behold
Re: Inattentive type, but still impulsive?

It is not that black and white from my own experience.

Inattentive is often associated with being passive and withdrawn. But perhaps there is another side to it, where in order to escape the inattentive hypofocus, you intuitively seek out activities and interests that somehow pull you out of a passive state, and charges up your brain into a more hyperactive hyperfocus.

And in that last case you are actually in a state of thrill-seeking - as you need stimulation to keep that brain in that hyperfocus - which could also lead to certain impulsive decisions or actions.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DeClutter For This Useful Post:
aeon (03-30-18), Kaia.S (03-30-18), lisariver (09-24-18), mctavish23 (04-05-18), mercurialmage (04-02-18), stef (03-31-18), wazneverhere (03-31-18)
Old 03-30-18, 07:48 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

I'm pretty sure I have inattentive type, as I've taken several online tests, and gotten each time a low score on hyperactivity and really high on inattentiveness. But that doesn't mean I have no hyperactive or impulsive symptoms. Especially as a teen, I was very impulsive, and would say whatever came to my head. I was so frustrated, but I just couldn't slow down and think before I spoke. But as I've grown older, I've become less impulsive, which is normal (36 year olds are not usually as impulsive as 16 year olds, ADD or no ADD!). But I am still a bit fidgety and restless at times, just not as much as my rather hyperactive brother.

Anyway, impulsive doesn't mean you have no hyperactive/impulsive symptoms, only that you don't have enough to count as the combined or hyperactive/impulsive types. ADD is a spectrum, and everyone has different combinations of symptoms, whatever type you may have been diagnosed with.
mctavish23 (04-05-18), mercurialmage (04-02-18), stef (03-31-18), wazneverhere (03-31-18)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-18, 07:50 AM
Mod-A-holic

Thanked 32,617 Times in 15,105 Posts
sarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond reputesarahsweets has a reputation beyond repute

Something to keep in mind is that hyperactivity doesnt have to always be physical, especially as we get older. It can be mental.

I carried a watermelon?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sarahsweets For This Useful Post:
CharlesH (03-30-18), Kaia.S (03-30-18), kwalk (04-09-18), mctavish23 (03-30-18), mercurialmage (04-02-18), stef (03-31-18), tudorose (05-11-18)
Old 03-30-18, 08:06 PM
Contributor

Funky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to allFunky1 is a name known to all

Sarah beat me to it. I am definitely classic inattentive, but impulse control has been one of the biggest problems that I've had to deal with throughout my entire life. Also, I was never outwardly hyperactive but I definitely have days where my brain is running in circles faster than I could even possibly comprehend. So I think the hyperactivity portion of it can be physical as well as mental, just like Sarah said.
Kaia.S (04-03-18), kwalk (04-09-18), mctavish23 (03-30-18), mercurialmage (04-02-18), stef (03-31-18)
Old 03-30-18, 10:55 PM

Thanked 10,193 Times in 3,205 Posts
mctavish23 has disabled reputation

The Adult manifestation of "hyperactivity" is (Subjective) Mental Restlessness."

tc

Robert
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to mctavish23 For This Useful Post:
aeon (04-04-18), daveddd (04-03-18), DeClutter (03-31-18), finallyfound10 (04-01-18), Kaia.S (04-03-18), kwalk (04-09-18), Little Missy (03-31-18), mercurialmage (04-02-18), stef (03-31-18), ToneTone (04-07-18)
Old 04-02-18, 08:40 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,215 Posts
ToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond reputeToneTone has a reputation beyond repute

Impulse control is a huge problem for people with ADHD-inattentive.

If you can't really work with your thoughts, or be aware of feelings, including subtle feelings ... if you can't stay focused on a task ... even a hugely important task ... even a task that will benefit you hugely by completing ... then impulses ... have little opposition.

Impulses love my brain ... they get to run touchdown after touchdown ... Addiction tendencies--that applies to all forms of ADHD ... regulating mood and feelings ... how many inappropriate people did I date--or try to date--when I was younger because on some impulse, I decided to pursue a relationship with them.

At least these days, I'm aware of how bad my "instincts" are ... and so I try to go relatively slowly in relationships ...

You guys nailed it on the computer ... the internet is self-medication for my brain ... at least it feels like that sometimes ... definite issue and I've been "working on it" for a long time!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ToneTone For This Useful Post:
Kaia.S (04-03-18), kwalk (04-09-18), lisariver (09-24-18), mctavish23 (04-05-18), stef (04-03-18)
Old 04-04-18, 10:29 AM
ADDvanced Member

Ronelh has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronelh View Post
Anyway, impulsive doesn't mean you have no hyperactive/impulsive symptoms
Oops, I obviously wasn't paying attention when I wrote that. It should be "inattentive doesn't mean..."
mctavish23 (04-05-18)