ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community  

Go Back   ADD Forums - Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Support and Information Resources Community > PARENTS OF CHILDREN WITH ADD/ADHD > Children's Diagnosis & Treatment
Register Blogs FAQ Chat Members List Calendar Donate Gallery Arcade Mark Forums Read

Children's Diagnosis & Treatment This forums is for parents to discuss issues related to diagnosis and treament of children with AD/HD

Old 09-24-04, 09:56 AM
Jr Member

Chelle is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Today's Update (pill swallowing)

My son is on cloud nine, after some practice last night with jello, m&m's and breath mints, he was able to swallow his med (Concerta) this morning inside some Jello, Yippie!!! It took some time to get it to happen and I praised him the whole time for doing it. He is very very proud of himself. Just wanted to pop in and share the great news. He said the medicine really made him feel better the first day he took it, yesterday was the second day but he was unable to get it down and he noticed the difference of not taking it. Let's hope this continues I am so proud of my little boy. Thanks for listening.

Michelle
Old 09-24-04, 10:12 AM

IndyCelt is on a distinguished road
Waa-hoo! I'm so glad that today was a success. I was thinking about the two of you this morning and I told my daughter about all the fun ways I had read about to teach kids how to swallow pills. By early next week he will be a pro and he will wonder why he ever struggled so much yesterday.

Cheryl
Old 09-24-04, 10:30 AM
Forum ADDvocate

krisp will become famous soon enough
That's great news! I'm glad things are working out for you!
Old 09-24-04, 01:17 PM
Jr Member

Smile

Thanks so much, I am just so happy for him right now. He has always loved school and now he will really enjoy it, without getting in trouble all the time. He is so freaking smart. He remembers things I can not remember. Wish I had his memory recall, I might have went into a different profession ...lol. I forget things right when I am thinking of them. And for the life of me, can not remember what it was. Sometimes days later out of no where my mind will just blurt it out to me from no where. I would be thinking of something totally different and that pops into my mind. Ok enough babbling here, I guess I am in a really good mood today from this. I am a proud mom right now. Thanks again for all your well wishes, they really mean a lot.
Michelle
Old 09-26-04, 10:05 PM
ADDvanced Forum ADDvocate

Thanked 1,276 Times in 975 Posts
Mary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to beholdMary is a splendid one to behold
HI Chelle. I am glad your son was able to take his Concerta. I have heard from lots of parents how much trouble they've had trying to get meds into kids. Hopefully your son will get the hang of things and be able to get meds down every day. In the meantime...congrats on his progress this time.

Remember, we here at ADDForums can only do so much. It's up to us as individuals to make the right choices, to seek professional help outside the forums.
Old 10-05-04, 12:01 PM

addhelp is on a distinguished road
Methylin Chewable Tablets & Methylin Oral Solution

My son had difficulty swallowing his Concerta and the physician put him on Straterra. We tried sprinkling and our son would not eat his apple sauce. Our pediatrician prescribed Methylin Chewable Tablets. It is a chewable form of methylphenidate that is grape flavored. My son had no problems taking. We learned more about the product on the company's website. The product comes in a chewable and a liquid form. Both grape flavored. I know a lot of our friends children with ADHD have difficulty in swallowing the pills and capsules and this makes it much easier. Also, I wanted to make sure we did not have to much medication on board with my son and the Methylin Chewable Tablet comes is a 2.5mg which is I think the lowest dose of methylphenidate. We started there and we are now at 5mg. I hope this helps.
Old 10-06-04, 12:18 PM
Jr Member

Well for the past 4 days he has gotten the pill down on the 1st try. It is so nice, he is doing really well and does not have much side effects, besides staying up an extra hour or more, but I think that will adjust .. I hope lol.

His mood first thing in the morning is something to be desired, he is very very nasty grumpy, but that too could be that he is not getting the same amount of sleep as before, it usually fades after about 10 to 15 minutes. Like this mornging he flat out refused to eat. He had this special day today for school called "Walk to school day" and we had to leave 20 minutes earlier and I said to him, if you do not eat we will just not go and do the walk to school day, he grumble and grawled (yes he loves to grawl when he is angry). After a while he got the picture and ate his breakfast. And we did the walk to school day and he was so happy we did it together. He got a goodie bag, some coloring books and got to press the buttons on a Police motorcycle too, which he thought was so cool. I stood my ground and this time it worked, not always so successful though. Before he would be like oh well I don't care if we do it or not (whatever I am telling him he will not be able to do). Like go and spend the night over a friends house or go to the movies. Even if he really wants to go he will be so stubborn that he will for go the fun to do what he is told. But now he is better, not so much screaming on his part and more complying with us. Ok time to get back to work now lol.
Michelle
Old 10-14-04, 01:18 PM
Jr Member

Centrinochic is on a distinguished road
This is great!

I put the pill on the back of my 4 year old sons tongue and tell him not to move his tongue. I then give him half a glass of milk and tell him to drink it all without stopping. Probably 1/2 cup worth. Not too much. He has never had a problem thus far with the pill swallowing. I have tried other things and found that if the child knows that it is in food, then they will look for it with their tongue and when they find it instantly notice it feels different and are reluctant to swallow it. But if you are just honest and tell them, OK, honey time to take you medicine, Let's put the pill on the back of your tongue and see if you can make it disappear when you drink your milk" It makes if fun and they look forward to the "magic trick" Thought it would help.